RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Hello, yes i'm a noobie

Started by lions3, 01/17/2016, 03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lions3

Hey guys, I'll go ahead and get it out of the way and say i'm a complete noobie to PCE.

Last month I tried to buy a turbografx w/ boost from a local shop. It was missing the power and a controller. So the shop owner asked that I come back when he had everything, but of course it was gone the next time I came it. So now, i'm just researching and trying to figure out what system I really want. Which so far i've been told repeatedly to grab a DUO-R (guess I need to save up)

I'm a gamer (not a collector). Have good many of the systems from the 80 and 90's, but as a kid I never played or had a Turbografx-16. Like many others I dreamed of playing those awesome games listed in the mags of the time. I still remember those Ys CD ads. I even did one of those Bonk challenge where they asked kids to draw the next game's cover. Can't believe I never received a response back lol

If you think i'm just a leech or anything feel free to check my alias at NeoGeo or Klov. I'm not hugely active, but I'm also not grabbing or selling systems/games left and right.

i'm not sure how much new info I can add to the forum discussion, but i'll definitely try as I soak up everything

On a side note, i'm also a hacker, builder, maker (whatever term you want to call it). A few years ago I even sold off some of my arcade stuff to help fund building my first 3d printer.

later,
~Bill

Bardoly

Welcome to Pcenginefx!

And yes, I would recommend that you get a region-modded Duo-R and maybe a Turbo Everdrive.  (I don't have an Everdrive, but most who have one say that it is the cheapest way to get into the HuCard library of games, then after you discover the games which you like best you can buy those.

lions3

Thanks.

I've never purchased an everdrive, but i've heard the same advice. As I guess many of the games, especially US, have become rather expensive.

At the moment this is the only game I owe for the system. I grabbed it when I thought I was getting the Turbografx-16. I guess it's just another reason to buy a region modded pce duo-r.

IMG

NecroPhile

A modded PCE Duo (any version) is the most cost effective way to get into playing Turbobs.  You can save a few bucks by going with a CoreGrafx and skipping CDs to start, but it'll end up being more expensive in the long run if (when) you decide to add CD capabilities.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

If you have $$$, or MUST play CD-ROM titles today, do what NecroPhile says.

If you are on a budget, get the CoreGrafx + EverDrive and enjoy all the great HuCARD titles (some translated HuCARD games sweeten the deal).

Basically, you won't regret either purchase if you love games.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: esteban on 01/18/2016, 12:19 PMIf you have $$$, or MUST play CD-ROM titles today, do what NecroPhile says.

If you are on a budget, get the CoreGrafx + EverDrive and enjoy all the great HuCARD titles (some translated HuCARD games sweeten the deal).

I'll have to partially disagree & say that the Duo is definitely the way to go.  I made the mistake of thinking I'd only be interested in Hucards, and started with a white PCE.  Discovering CD games was almost like discovering a whole new console.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 01/18/2016, 01:36 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/18/2016, 12:19 PMIf you have $$$, or MUST play CD-ROM titles today, do what NecroPhile says.

I'll have to partially disagree & say that the Duo is definitely the way to go.  I made the mistake of thinking I'd only be interested in Hucards, and started with a white PCE.  Discovering CD games was almost like discovering a whole new console.
Like anything else, you can always explore/play CD-ROM games on the future.

In fact, sometimes it is nice to have the HuCARD as the "gateway drug" for a full-blown PCE addiction.

My advice to the newbie: smoke lots of weed before getting into PCP/heroin/flan.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

lions3

Thanks for the feedback.

I've been going back and forth. Wait and save for the DUO-R. Or since this all new anyway just get a CoreGrafx to start playing some games sooner. Then either sell and upgrade to a Duo, or buy a briefcase. Which I kinda dig the look of. Just know that setup can be a little fickle. (CD drive anyway)

Warbucks

synbiosfan

Lots of good advice so far.

I ended up with a region modded Duo-R with a Everdrive and a modded Turbo Express for gaming on the go.

Don't forget as long as you don't pay a fortune for a core system, buy one for now and sell it when you get a duo.

Sarumaru

Welcome! I love the look of the briefcase setup the best. I'd say you can't really go wrong with just getting the core grafx and then getting the CD add-on when you can. :)

incrediblehark

I like both the original Duo and the pc engine+ifu30 setup. The Duo way is probably cheaper as most have said. If looking to buy games, either theese boards or I used to use yahoo japan a lot. although recently looks like prices are starting to catch up to ebay with some titles.

ginoscope

Welcome! as others have said I would recommend the coregrafx and everdrive route.  When I got back into real hardware I started with a duo that was refurbished.

Since then I have been piecing together a TG16 cd setup but that is an expensive route I don't recommend.  Only reason I am going for it is because that was the setup I had as a teen.

esadajr

DuoR, and you may not even need the region mod, most PCE hucardos are gaijin friendly and CD titles don't have region protection. Everdrive is a must.
Gaming since 1985

lions3

thanks. Was reading about the everdrives last night.

I noticed on the official site that the creator notes that region modded systems might have trouble with the everdrive. Is this true??

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2016, 10:31 AMA modded PCE Duo (any version) is the most cost effective way to get into playing Turbobs.  You can save a few bucks by going with a CoreGrafx and skipping CDs to start, but it'll end up being more expensive in the long run if (when) you decide to add CD capabilities.
I second this.  Buy once, cry once.  Welcome!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Sarumaru

The title of this thread reminds me of this XD

IMG

Liquid Snake

Lion3 good to see you here!!!!!!!
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia