EGM's worst LIE [You know what this is about]

Started by SGX Engine, 04/20/2016, 04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGX Engine

IMG

:x

CrackTiger

Apparently you haven't read much of EGM.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NightWolve

Otaking

Quote from: Otaking on 07/07/2015, 12:08 PMEGM are responable for the single worst peace of journalism in video game history which is this console comparison, the scores are an absolute travesty.

Quote from: Gentlegamer;2010467Speaking of EGM bias, I had forgotten how anti-Nintendo the editors were.

IMG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

There is non consistent editorial vision on something as irrelevant and low end as a video game magazine like EGM.

Around 2002-2003 was the worst. When the Cube was going. The guys working at the mag then were being really shitheads about what "mature" is and how they think Nintendo sucks because it's for kids. This was when they were experimenting with swearing and pushing the OG XBOX. Also, Seanbaby. There was this..."attitude"...there's no other word for it, that stank up the whole book. The nerds had taken over the comunity pool and it was an adult swim only, shitheads only as well.

The Cube is maybe the best Nintendo TV console of all time, IMHO. Not a lot of people will agree with me on that. However it's hard to imagine recommending the XB1 over it. It was a pretty bleak machine, software-wise. Not just now in hindsight, but ever.
IMG

SGX Engine

I'm only familiar with the EGM of the late 80s up to about 1994 or so, during the time they were under Sendai Publications and based out of Lombard, Illinois near Chicago.  I think it was about a year after EGM was sold to Ziff Davis that I stopped reading.

SignOfZeta

I was working at an EB and could read every issue for free and I still didn't. Complete crap.

Ironically, EB had that one magazine of theirs during the same time that was honestly pretty solid. Way better than EGM. I don't know if it lasted two years though.

Things change.
IMG

exodus

Johnny Turbo swears he has the rom in his storage space, and that it just wasn't released and the project denied its existence because the programmer committed suicide.

Psycho Punch

LOL about 90's game magazines having any sort of quality beyond what a couple of stoner 20-somethings could come up with.

Gamefan is a prime example.

IMG
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

seieienbu

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/20/2016, 12:40 PMThere is non consistent editorial vision on something as irrelevant and low end as a video game magazine like EGM.

Around 2002-2003 was the worst. When the Cube was going. The guys working at the mag then were being really shitheads about what "mature" is and how they think Nintendo sucks because it's for kids. This was when they were experimenting with swearing and pushing the OG XBOX. Also, Seanbaby. There was this..."attitude"...there's no other word for it, that stank up the whole book. The nerds had taken over the comunity pool and it was an adult swim only, shitheads only as well.

The Cube is maybe the best Nintendo TV console of all time, IMHO. Not a lot of people will agree with me on that. However it's hard to imagine recommending the XB1 over it. It was a pretty bleak machine, software-wise. Not just now in hindsight, but ever.
I remember reading a few issues back then.  I thought Seanbaby's webpage was pretty funny but at the same time I didn't see any reason why that same sort of crassness should be in a printed magazine. 

As far as Gamecube vs Xbox/other Nintendo systems went, my favorite game on that entire software generation was the Xbox exclusive Panzer Dragoon.  I think I played way more Xbox than Gamecube as there were only a few GC games that I was actually interested in.  Yeah, it was a lot better than, say, N64, but I wouldn't ever claim that GC gave me more enjoyment than NES or SNES.

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2016, 07:41 PMLOL about 90's game magazines having any sort of quality beyond what a couple of stoner 20-somethings could come up with.

Gamefan is a prime example.
Gamefan briefly had a spinoff magazine called Megafan that I had read a couple issues of.  I actually really liked that magazine; it wrote in depth about games that I liked: fighters, shooters, RPGs, and ARPGs.  It also had more of a focus on eccentric Japanese titles that weren't going to get more than a tiny blurb in most other magazines.

I just looked it up and apparently there were only 3 issues?  I may try to track down the third knowing that.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Duo_R

They played the Supergrafx Strider demo? Wow I never saw that one. Lol
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Otaking

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2016, 07:41 PMIMG
Is that article for for real? or just been photoshopped?

That's some funny shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

SignOfZeta

That's the "recalled" issue. Apparently a disgruntled employee inserted a nuts Ace Combat review into the sports section. Apparently Diehard's legendary editorial team missed it.

Personally, I think this is probably the best you could do with an article for something called "College Football USA '96".
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Otaking on 04/21/2016, 02:19 PM

That's some funny shit.
What issue of GameFan is this from ? I used to collect them in the early 90's, wanna see if I have an original.

It's lame that the prankster just repeated his material with the 2nd column, but that's ballzy he didn't care about his job anymore and snuck something like that past his coworkers...  :lol:

ccovell

What really bothered me -- and what almost every magazine, newspaper, and TV news service did -- was misreport system specs, which got copied, repeated by other news services with no fact checking.  (The game for you guys to play is to spot the mistakes below and write what the correct figures are.)

Eg: I just saw a TV report on the Super Famicom.  They said the SFC's palette of 32,768 colours far surpasses the NES' 512...

Or even the Megadrive's 2048...
Or the Sega Master System's 256...

The Turbo's max resolution is 256x216.  The Genesis wins at 320x224.
EGM even printed that though the Turbo was 256x216, the SuperGrafx was more colourful with a palette of 4096, but with a screen resolution of 160x146.

This just went on and on.  It's obvious most of these reporters diligently checked these specs by putting their thumb up to the screen and just guesstimating.

CrackTiger

The best is the "2 x 8-bit cpus = 16-bit" thing.

SGX Engine

Quote from: Otaking on 04/21/2016, 02:19 PM

That's some funny shit.
Totally real. I had that issue of Game Fan. I also remember EGM commenting on it shortly after.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2016, 06:59 PMThe best is the "2 x 8-bit cpus = 16-bit" thing.
I remember people talking about that while mocking the TG16 on the playground in 4th grade.  Was that ever actually written in print?

CrackTiger

Quote from: seieienbu on 04/22/2016, 03:40 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 04/21/2016, 06:59 PMThe best is the "2 x 8-bit cpus = 16-bit" thing.
I remember people talking about that while mocking the TG16 on the playground in 4th grade.  Was that ever actually written in print?
It was, but I don't remember which magazines and Sega spec sheets it was in. Nintendo was the worst for misleading tech talk.

Duo_R

Quote from: guest on 04/22/2016, 01:45 PM
Quote from: seieienbu on 04/22/2016, 03:40 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/21/2016, 06:59 PMThe best is the "2 x 8-bit cpus = 16-bit" thing.
It was, but I don't remember which magazines and Sega spec sheets it was in. Nintendo was the worst for misleading tech talk.
Yeah they said they were running in parallel so almost like 16bit is what I remember reading although they did say it wasn't the same. I should dig thorough those old magazines.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ccovell on 04/21/2016, 06:28 PMEGM even printed that though the Turbo was 256x216, the SuperGrafx was more colourful with a palette of 4096, but with a screen resolution of 160x146.
I remember them reporting the 4096 colors, I don't recall them reporting that resolution. Sounds like they just grabbed the specs for the Lynx (which only ever put, like, 6 colors onscreen).

ccovell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/22/2016, 03:13 PMI remember them reporting the 4096 colors, I don't recall them reporting that resolution. Sounds like they just grabbed the specs for the Lynx (which only ever put, like, 6 colors onscreen).
These "specs" were in EGM's "1991 Buyer's Guide", pages 37 and 41.

SGX Engine

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/22/2016, 03:13 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 04/21/2016, 06:28 PMEGM even printed that though the Turbo was 256x216, the SuperGrafx was more colourful with a palette of 4096, but with a screen resolution of 160x146.
I remember them reporting the 4096 colors, I don't recall them reporting that resolution. Sounds like they just grabbed the specs for the Lynx (which only ever put, like, 6 colors onscreen).
IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

ccovell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/22/2016, 03:13 PMLynx (which only ever put, like, 6 colors onscreen).
Naah, the Lynx had many more colours, just look at the screen:

light red, dark green, light blue, light red, medium green, light blue, light red, medium-light green, pale blue, medium-light red,...

OldMan

Thank you for the chuckles.

I'll have to go play 'stider' now :)

CrackTiger

Only the Genesis (16-bit) could handle the intense polygonal graphics of Bonanza Bros.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/23/2016, 10:06 AMOnly the Genesis (16-bit) could handle the intense polygonal graphics of Bonanza Bros.
Hell yes. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

seieienbu

I do like that the Turbo Express has a color palette 8 times larger than the TG16.  Some fine reporting.

SGX Engine

The spec tables were completely messed up, I just enjoyed these for the pictures  :P

Duo_R

No wonder the Supergrafx failed, it has the lowest on screen resolution of the PC Engine family.

wilykat

/nitpick
officially Lynx can do 16 colors out of 4k possible color combination. But not everyone realizes it is 16 color per scanline. If you really hammer at it, you can change that 16 colors at each line and get Lynx to display 1,632 total colors on screen at once.

Most games were just 16 colors for whole screen though, back in the day you would have had trouble to tell the difference between 16 colors and 64 colors on old technology LCD.

CrackTiger

The Lynx didn't seem to have much color restriction beyond that, as Double Dragon looks great and is very detailed.

wilykat

Yes they are.  And it's hard to play if you're still using old LCD.  With new LCD from McWill on Atariage forum, it is so much easier to see everything and actually is easier to play.

Did you know? STUN Runner's 3D visual effect comes from the ability to use unlimited sprite?  The developers saw that using sprites to make 3D polygons were faster than just straight up 3D rendering so they used sprites.  I doubt any other game console can match the 3D capability of Lynx at the time because most consoles had limited sprite (ie NES can't do more than 8 per scanline or it'd glitch) and trying to get 3D rendering like Starfox required extra chip. Without the chip, they can't match the speed or performance.