RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

This is Sega Test

Started by JoshTurboTrollX, 05/17/2016, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshTurboTrollX

Found this to be incredibly interesting:

https://vimeo.com/166472288

It's kind of amazing the style that this video was put together, total 90s attitude feel.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

schweaty

great sound track.  really took me back

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

Thank you so much for sharing. How things have changed (and how some things haven't!) over the years is awesome to see. So much of my interest in joining these 'retro' communities is to glean whatever information I can about how games were made throughout history, and this is a great representation of a publisher's in house testing during the era. Thanks again, this made my day.

Joe Redifer

I wonder if smoking was required to work there.

MNKyDeth

Wtf, a game company testing games. Yes, how times have changed......

Now we usually get broken pieces of garbage that take 25gig patches 6months after release to fix the games and sometimes that not even enough.

Wish they still had testers instead of making everyone in the wild paying pre-beta testers.

Gredler

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 05/17/2016, 09:20 PMWtf, a game company testing games. Yes, how times have changed......

Now we usually get broken pieces of garbage that take 25gig patches 6months after release to fix the games and sometimes that not even enough.

Wish they still had testers instead of making everyone in the wild paying pre-beta testers.
Lol, you honestly think most games don't have testers? Hate to break it to you but all games are tested before sold, big surprise.

Most studios have in house testing staff, and while I've never worked in a publisher before I assume they all have QA testers as well. Indies and home brews have testers too, both Catastrophy and Henshin Engine do.

99 out of 100 times games are buggy and broken at ship because publishers know it will recoup some cost of development regardless if the developer is done, and 99 out of 100 of those instances are not due to lack of testing. Games are thoroughly tested and vetted, and most shipped bugs are known issues.

There is always a story behind why modern games ship unfinished, but it's rarely the developers intention, and hardly ever due to lack of testing.

I'd be willing to wager that games are more thoroughly tested now than the time of that video, but the systems and degree of content are astronimcally more complicated and expansive. Thats not even considering budget restrictions and shareholder demands. If game companies didn't release games when they were "good enough" then the release calendar would look like valve or blizzards schedule, it's simply impossible for most companies to stay afloat waiting for perfect games with 0 bugs. Most games ship with known bugs, even the old ones you're referencing (sequence breakers? Bugs.)

I think pre orders are dumb, wait for the game to come out and see if it's good or not, then buy it. If enough "broken piles of garbage" don't make a return on investment then the publishers will stop releasing them, no one is forcing you to be an early adopter. Good things come to those who wait.

This whole early adopter pre beta bullshit is incredibly idiotic, but if people are willing to pay for an unfinished game what incintive is the market giving to the people signing developers checks not to release games before developers are done.

Also, you are referring to the situation as if all games are like that, when the actuality is most of these broken piles of garbage are predictably so, but the majority of games ship in a fine and polished state. Oh that assasins Creed made by the C team in a little under a year and a half was broken at release? Big surprise there, were sure got blind sided by that one, I thought AAA games just spawnd every year with no hiccups.

No one is "making" you be "pre-beta" testers, last time I checked I've never been forced to buy a game that's buggy..

If you don't like it, don't buy it, but as long as millions of people do it will keep being an option.

OPTION.

MNKyDeth

Quote from: Gredler on 05/17/2016, 11:43 PM
Quote from: MNKyDeth on 05/17/2016, 09:20 PMWtf, a game company testing games. Yes, how times have changed......

Lol, you honestly think most games don't have testers? Hate to break it to you but all games are tested before sold, big surprise.

Most studios have in house testing staff, and while I've never worked in a publisher before I assume they all have QA testers as well. Indies and home brews have testers too, both Catastrophy and Henshin Engine do.

99 out of 100 times games are buggy and broken at ship because publishers know it will recoup some cost of development regardless if the developer is done, and 99 out of 100 of those instances are not due to lack of testing. Games are thoroughly tested and vetted, and most shipped bugs are known issues.

There is always a story behind why modern games ship unfinished, but it's rarely the developers intention, and hardly ever due to lack of testing.

I'd be willing to wager that games are more thoroughly tested now than the time of that video, but the systems and degree of content are astronimcally more complicated and expansive. Thats not even considering budget restrictions and shareholder demands. If game companies didn't release games when they were "good enough" then the release calendar would look like valve or blizzards schedule, it's simply impossible for most companies to stay afloat waiting for perfect games with 0 bugs. Most games ship with known bugs, even the old ones you're referencing (sequence breakers? Bugs.)

I think pre orders are dumb, wait for the game to come out and see if it's good or not, then buy it. If enough "broken piles of garbage" don't make a return on investment then the publishers will stop releasing them, no one is forcing you to be an early adopter. Good things come to those who wait.

This whole early adopter pre beta bullshit is incredibly idiotic, but if people are willing to pay for an unfinished game what incintive is the market giving to the people signing developers checks not to release games before developers are done.

Also, you are referring to the situation as if all games are like that, when the actuality is most of these broken piles of garbage are predictably so, but the majority of games ship in a fine and polished state. Oh that assasins Creed made by the C team in a little under a year and a half was broken at release? Big surprise there, were sure got blind sided by that one, I thought AAA games just spawnd every year with no hiccups.

No one is "making" you be "pre-beta" testers, last time I checked I've never been forced to buy a game that's buggy..

If you don't like it, don't buy it, but as long as millions of people do it will keep being an option.

OPTION.
Well, I know they still test I was trying to be a bit sarcastic / facetious but the dry humor of text is hard to deal with. :)

I have only been burned once or twice and I never buy games anymore until a couple months after release for modern consoles and windows/Linux. But those couple of times taught me that lesson of course.

I think the only games I have been happy with upon release since the debut of the PS3 is the Souls series. But this is me with my rose tinted glasses on as I love these games so much I find it hard to find real faults in them when I know deep down there probably is.

But I digress...
I enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.

DeshDildo

Tom Kalinske is my hero.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

xcrement5x

I think I am in love with that blonde tester.  She looks so hip, edgy and 90s that it's unbelievable.

I doubt she actually worked there though, and was probably just an actress.  :(
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

bob

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 03:11 PMI think I am in love with that blonde tester.  She looks so hip, edgy and 90s that it's unbelievable.

yeah, I like her too.

/games/edgy.jpg[/img]

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 03:11 PMI think I am in love with that blonde tester.  She looks so hip, edgy and 90s that it's unbelievable.

She looked like she was right out of a Kevin Smith movie.
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

Bwaaaaahaha.  You got me.

I guess I should have included my own screen shot of the "blonde tester" not the "blond tester" to avoid confusion ;)

IMG
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

owlnonymous

jtucci31

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/18/2016, 03:24 PM

Heh yeah I can see it. Like another Chasing Amy. I liked her the most too. I will think of her every time I play Sega games  :mrgreen:

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 04:53 PM

Heh yeah I can see it. Like another Chasing Amy. I liked her the most too. I will think of her every time I FAP  :mrgreen:
You've made this entirely too easy.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

jtucci31

Quote from: Desh on 05/18/2016, 08:14 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 04:53 PM

Heh yeah I can see it. Like another Chasing Amy. I liked her the most too. I will think of her every time I FAP  :mrgreen:
You've made this entirely too easy.
That's kind of what I meant :wink:

Sega games=FAP

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 03:33 PMI guess I should have included my own screen shot of the "blonde tester" not the "blond tester" to avoid confusion ;)

IMG
I liked her too until they showed her smoking.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/19/2016, 03:57 PMI liked her too until they showed her smoking.
That just means she has an oral fetish.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

KnightWarrior

I like the blonde with long hiar in the Video, But she smokes too, What's with peoples smoking?

ccovell

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 05/19/2016, 05:33 PMI like the blonde with long hiar in the Video, But she smokes too, What's with peoples smoking?
Because people outside of offices in the daytime = smoking break.

Joe Redifer

You are not allowed outside offices during the day unless you smoke. No break for you!

ifkz

Really liked this video, seeing all of the older computers, EPROM writers, testing boards, and all of the vintage posters and ads.  I also find it interesting that some of the stations mixed in the older Sega CD model 1 system and another cubicle had the sidecar style Sega CD 2.  From what I understand about the company, this seems to be made right before they really started losing the 32-bit market to Sony; late 1995 from the sign in the video.  No mention or sights of the Genesis add-on 32X unit (EDIT: Nope, I see a few units...no game footage though!).

I also have to wonder how many of those hundreds of warehouse Game Gear units still work.  My eyes would melt down if I had to work 12 hour days on the Game Gear with nothing more than a "Super Wide Gear" that I had as a kid.  No TV out for the test units?

Great also to see a working in-use Saturn development station.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

jeffhlewis

Someone on NeoGAF did a great "Where are they now" post on this video - a lot of these folks wound up becoming producers/developers/etc. later in their careers. Pretty cool.

(Also in love with Chasing Amy girl)

HailingTheThings

Looks kinda like Hobgoblin... I think I'm in love. <3

IMG
IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/03/2016, 11:13 PMLooks kinda like Hobgoblin... I think I'm in love. <3

IMG
Pass. Looks like an extra from breakfast club.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2016, 03:33 PMBwaaaaahaha.  You got me.

I guess I should have included my own screen shot of the "blonde tester" not the "blond tester" to avoid confusion ;)

IMG
90s.jpg
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

HailingTheThings

The more I look at her, the more I kinda wanna wake up next to her. Every night I eat a piece of cheese and a handful of Hershey kisses, because I love having nightmares. Holding her in my arms for the rest of my mortality would insure never ending bliss, yes?
IMG

DeshDildo

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/04/2016, 06:31 PMThe more I look at her, the more I kinda wanna wake up next to her. Every night I eat a piece of cheese and a handful of Hershey kisses, because I love having nightmares. Holding her in my arms for the rest of my mortality would insure never ending bliss, yes?
That's a bit too deep for me.  My only thought was, "I'd let her dangle on my wangle."

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Desh on 06/05/2016, 12:04 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/04/2016, 06:31 PMThe more I look at her, the more I kinda wanna wake up next to her. Every night I eat a piece of cheese and a handful of Hershey kisses, because I love having nightmares. Holding her in my arms for the rest of my mortality would insure never ending bliss, yes?
That's a bit too deep for me.  My only thought was, "I'd let her dangle on my wangle."
Now, now, yours is just as good, as they both convey the feels of lust for an unconventional looking 90s dreamboat of a woman. One which makes me wanna pick up smoking cigarettes as a full-time hobby.

<3
IMG

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

HailingTheThings

IMG

Groover

I really did enjoy watching it. Also I am glad they made the video that year and didn't wait any longer. I'm sure that office was just about to go down hill very fast. That is considering they where at the beginning of the Saturn and it didn't last much longer. However very interesting times there at Sega.
IMG