10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Limited Run Games

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/03/2016, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glazball

Quote from: schweaty on 06/10/2017, 12:53 PMAnybody else notice LRG didn't sell out yesterday?  Copies still available today
That's not the first time one of their games hasn't sold out immediately, but it did sell out over the weekend.  I think that's good though, since it allows anyone who really wanted it to get it.  There's a thread on the LRG forums asking "Is LRG hype dying?" and that seems to be the case.  Scalpers are not getting huge returns on their "investments" like they were a year ago.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Gypsy

Quote from: glazball on 06/13/2017, 11:24 AM
Quote from: schweaty on 06/10/2017, 12:53 PMAnybody else notice LRG didn't sell out yesterday?  Copies still available today
That's not the first time one of their games hasn't sold out immediately, but it did sell out over the weekend.  I think that's good though, since it allows anyone who really wanted it to get it.  There's a thread on the LRG forums asking "Is LRG hype dying?" and that seems to be the case.  Scalpers are not getting huge returns on their "investments" like they were a year ago.
They have (better imo) competition and all the stuff I've said before. However when they release Ys Origins and other good games that aren't $1 sale on steam/$2 ios/android games those will still quickly sell out I think.

So the hype is dying and whatnot, but only because they keep releasing the same indie noise.

NecroPhile

I snagged a Darius Burst today.  I hope it's worth the $50.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

schweaty

Quote from: Necromancer on 06/23/2017, 10:53 AMI snagged a Darius Burst today.  I hope it's worth the $50.
Me too.  I think I'll be disappointed but whatev.

Btw- still available 75 mins later.  I think the handwriting is on the wall.  Limited print physical games are a fad and will pass.

Gypsy

Quote from: schweaty on 06/23/2017, 11:14 AM
Quote from: Necromancer on 06/23/2017, 10:53 AMI snagged a Darius Burst today.  I hope it's worth the $50.
Me too.  I think I'll be disappointed but whatev.

Btw- still available 75 mins later.  I think the handwriting is on the wall.  Limited print physical games are a fad and will pass.
Otoh this is like the third release of the game and it's $50. Furi went faaaast.

Oh and the game is great. Tons of replay value.

NecroPhile

I'm surprised it still says it's available, seeing as there was only 26% left just a couple minutes in.  Like gypsy said, though, the other game sold out quick as ever and lots of peeps already bought Darius for the PS4 or one of the Play Asia versions.

That said, this is how I'd love to see all of their games sell.  Everyone that really wants to play the game has a pretty good shot at getting one, and they don't all go to shelf queens and flippers.

glazball

Funny you mention it NecroPhile - I finally got around to opening my Dariusburst last night and spent a few hours with it.  It's damn incredible.  Worth $50, or $60 or whatever?  That's debatable but in 20 years, you won't miss that 50 bucks but you'll always have a badass shewtie to play on your Vita.

I was put off by the high price and didn't initially buy it.  Ended up buying it off ebay like a sucker and only paid a tiny bit more than the initial asking price... and I don't regret the expense.  It's a blast.

And also kinda funny - one of the LRG founders is asking on their own forums why DB isn't selling out so fast.  It does put me off that they want all their titles to sell out in 10 minutes.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Gypsy

I agree NecroPhile, it's great when the games are available hours after they drop. I worry about Ys Origins but at least there is the PA release...

Quote from: glazball on 06/23/2017, 11:52 AMFunny you mention it NecroPhile - I finally got around to opening my Dariusburst last night and spent a few hours with it.  It's damn incredible.  Worth $50, or $60 or whatever?  That's debatable but in 20 years, you won't miss that 50 bucks but you'll always have a badass shewtie to play on your Vita.

I was put off by the high price and didn't initially buy it.  Ended up buying it off ebay like a sucker and only paid a tiny bit more than the initial asking price... and I don't regret the expense.  It's a blast.
Yesssss, it's great. I would have waited if say, it was getting a wide US release (see: Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, really any wide release shmup in the last 10+ years in the US, they all get well under $10 before they go up). However I wasn't even sure it was going to get a physical release in the US when I bought it, and I didn't see the Japanese version dropping much in price so I pre-ordered it through PA and had no regrets. It's great.

Quote from: glazball on 06/23/2017, 11:52 AMAnd also kinda funny - one of the LRG founders is asking on their own forums why DB isn't selling out so fast.  It does put me off that they want all their titles to sell out in 10 minutes.
They are ASSHOLES*. Read their twitter feed if you ever get bored enough.

*This does not stop me from buying games I want that they put out.

Flare65

Bard's Gold looks like the next release they are doing for the Vita this Friday.  :/  Looks like another shovel ware game to me.

Does anyone know the latest news on the Skullgirls game that was supposed to ship 7 months ago?

cr8zykuban0

bards gold looks pretty cool,  i will definitely have to look into it. Lots of boobie traps and enemies all over the place!!!

Gypsy

Looks like another dime a dozen indie retro style platformer. It's $2 on Steam right now for anyone on the fence, maybe playing it could help your decision.

NecroPhile

Anyone get their Vita Dariusburst yet?  My tracking's been stuck at "ready for pickup" since 6/29.

I see on twitter some bullshit about them holding orders for some trading card crap (instead of the usual postcard/sticker crap).  I assume that's the hold up, but it sure would've been nice if they'd bothered to tell their paying customers what's going on instead of fake "your item has shipped" e-mails.

schweaty

Quote from: Necromancer on 07/10/2017, 12:27 PMAnyone get their Vita Dariusburst yet?  My tracking's been stuck at "ready for pickup" since 6/29.

I see on twitter some bullshit about them holding orders for some trading card crap (instead of the usual postcard/sticker crap).  I assume that's the hold up, but it sure would've been nice if they'd bothered to tell their paying customers what's going on instead of fake "your item has shipped" e-mails.
Same here.  I'm getting used to them printing the label and waiting 2 weeks for it to actually ship.  Ships getting old.  (Amirite?)

bartre

Quote from: schweaty on 07/10/2017, 04:06 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 12:27 PMAnyone get their Vita Dariusburst yet?  My tracking's been stuck at "ready for pickup" since 6/29.

Same here.  I'm getting used to them printing the label and waiting 2 weeks for it to actually ship.  Ships getting old.  (Amirite?)
one of many reasons I finally decided "fuck em"
at least SRG states it's a preorder and all that.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: schweaty on 07/10/2017, 04:06 PM
Quote from: Necromancer on 07/10/2017, 12:27 PMAnyone get their Vita Dariusburst yet?  My tracking's been stuck at "ready for pickup" since 6/29.

I haven't had any official (email) notification.

Just he chatter in twitter.

And people on the vita fb page making similar complaints on the hold up of the games.

And the gold up on Skull girls.

ParanoiaDragon

Same here, says July 3rd Shipment information received by UPS Mail Innovations.........
IMG

NecroPhile

And if (when) business drops off, they'll claim people just don't care about physical games any more.  Sure, buddy, I'm sure slow shipping, catering to collectards and flippers, shit customer service, etc. has nothing to do with it.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2017, 09:38 AMAnd if (when) business drops off, they'll claim people just don't care about physical games any more.  Sure, buddy, I'm sure slow shipping, catering to collectards and flippers, shit customer service, etc. has nothing to do with it.
They keep saying the quality will improve and the amount of games coming out will decrease too. Probably due to all the competition that has sprouted up. People only have so much money for random indies on physical disc/cart after all. I get that they went nuts and took on, quite frankly, way too many contracts and have to get those games out. However it would be kind of sad if people got burned out while they had better games on tap. I don't think it's a huge risk, just something I was thinking about.

Also, I'm not digging the change to UPS mail innovations. I dislike waiting 8+ days to receive things though...... This is going off of PD's post. I haven't ordered anything from LRG in awhile.

crazydean

So if the shipping has already been paid by LRG, what do they have to benefit by not sending it out? Is the game not printed and packed yet?

NecroPhile

Supposedly everything is packaged and ready to go, other than the trading cards they're waiting on from the printers and sealing the box/envelope.

Honestly, the wait wouldn't bother me so much if they'd been up front about it or at least bothered to explain the situation after the fact.  The only reason I know anything about it is forum chatter; there's no official announcement on LRG's website (front page, news section, the game's page, or in their forums), nor have they sent out explanation emails.

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 12:27 PMAnyone get their Vita Dariusburst yet?  My tracking's been stuck at "ready for pickup" since 6/29.

i feel you on that. i ordered furi over 2 weeks ago and i haven't been notified anything just a shipping number without any updates. I know its only 2 guys who works at LRG but it would be nice if they can at least notify you of any shipping delays!

ParanoiaDragon

Ah, mine finally shipped!
IMG

schweaty

Well, Jotun lasted all of 3 mins this morning.  I guess LRG is still going strong... for now

NecroPhile

And it's just a pre-order.  They don't even have the games and won't ship for a month or more.

So much for "Pre-orders don't work!  We have to have 'em in hand before we sell!!!"

xcrement5x

Yeah, I actually wanted Jotun too but wasn't worried about getting into work late since other stuff has been selling out slower recently.  Will try for the PM batch.

schweaty

Quote from: Necromancer on 07/14/2017, 10:39 AMAnd it's just a pre-order.  They don't even have the games and won't ship for a month or more.

So much for "Pre-orders don't work!  We have to have 'em in hand before we sell!!!"
Yeah... I can see why this is frustrating from the consumer side.  Their perspective is probably: "without the artificial supply constraint there would be less demand if it wasn't truly "limited" and open-ended via pre-order."  I'm assuming that since they have done pre-orders in the past, they have the metrics to support that way if doing business.

xcrement5x

I think the may have been trying to match the sale up with the timing of the fact that Jotun is free on Steam and GOG right now to make it sell out faster.  Who knows, a couple of weeks isn't that bad.  It's not like the Skullgirls LE or somthing that is now like 4 months late I think?

NecroPhile

Dariusburst came in Saturday's mail.  Thanks to UPS Garbage Innovations, the trading card and sticker were all bent up (good thing I waited for 'em!) but the game itself is fine.

And thanks to Gypsy, my complaints have been summarily dismissed.  I'm just a troll, and everything negative is beyond LRG's control.

1.  It's not their fault that they're selling Jotun now but won't ship for a month or more, so it's unfair/inaccurate to label it as a pre-order.*
  2.  It's not their fault that they changed to shittier and slower postal services to save a few bucks yet still charge the same amount for shipping.
  3.  It's not their fault they sold games knowing full well that they'd not ship any time soon but failed to mention it in the games' listings.
  4.  It's not their fault that they sent out misleading emails saying the games shipped when they actually hadn't.
  5.  It's not their fault that they couldn't be bothered to send out emails or post an official explanation on their website or forum regarding the delay.

Just shut up and send them money.  :lol:

* - Since when is pre-order a bad word?  If you don't want to pay and wait, don't buy; I'd not have complained about Darius had they been similarly up front about the situation.

Gypsy

I told them on twitter I'm not going to order from them until they switch off this garbage service. I'd even gladly pay $6 for priority shipping. I don't know why companies use mail innovations, but some big eBay sellers use it too. It must be MARGINALLY CHEAPER than first class if I had to guess. Gotta save 10 cents a package or something like that.

I see you read gaijinworks, lulz. I didn't use your username, definitely bitch at them directly. You didn't even mention the part where someone, without knowing you, called you a spoiled shithead. That was nice...

Quite frankly I think the blind defending is ridiculous. They are a business offering a product, and should be held to proper standards.

Edit: Oh and despite huge delays, they vehemently want to avoid using the term pre-order for some reason. Must be a marketing thing.

Johnpv

I don't understand why they aren't doing pre-orders and basing how many they order on that.  Leave pre-orders open for a week or two weeks, say ok we got 1537 pre-orders lets order 2000 copies.

It seems to me like they would make more money that way too, but these guys really do have a hard on for OMG IT SOLD OUT IN SECONDS!!!!! it seems.

I had no problem pre-ordering the PS4 physical release of Hyper Light Drifter from Iam8Bit, but seemingly something like that is too difficult for LRG and will put them out of business.

Medic_wheat

NOTICE.

Undertake for PS4/VITA/PC pre orders are now up at Fangamer.

Gypsy

Quote from: Johnpv on 07/19/2017, 07:58 AMI don't understand why they aren't doing pre-orders and basing how many they order on that.  Leave pre-orders open for a week or two weeks, say ok we got 1537 pre-orders lets order 2000 copies.

It seems to me like they would make more money that way too, but these guys really do have a hard on for OMG IT SOLD OUT IN SECONDS!!!!! it seems.

I had no problem pre-ordering the PS4 physical release of Hyper Light Drifter from Iam8Bit, but seemingly something like that is too difficult for LRG and will put them out of business.
It's probably part of their sales pitch.

schweaty

Quote from: Johnpv on 07/19/2017, 07:58 AMI don't understand why they aren't doing pre-orders and basing how many they order on that.  Leave pre-orders open for a week or two weeks, say ok we got 1537 pre-orders lets order 2000 copies.

It has nothing to do with difficulty.  Their business model is to inflate demand by capping supply. They think (and they are probably correct) people will buy less if they think there is an open ended supply (like a pre-order).  Even if there is only a small window for pre-order, it could reduce the demand.  They are preying on the collectards and it's working.

bartre

Quote from: Johnpv on 07/19/2017, 07:58 AMI had no problem pre-ordering the PS4 physical release of Hyper Light Drifter from Iam8Bit
ordering from Iam8Bit is easy, but FUCK their customer service.
I had like 3 issues when I ordered Rez infinite from them and I probably sent them 30 emails with like 3 responses.

MotherGunner

I'm definitely going for that Wonderboy (Dragon's Curse) physical release!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

jtucci31

Quote from: MotherGunner on 07/24/2017, 06:08 PMI'm definitely going for that Wonderboy (Dragon's Curse) physical release!
Same here, I can't wait to try that. Any idea when that's going up for sale yet?

ParanoiaDragon

Next friday I believe.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 07/25/2017, 01:08 AM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 07/24/2017, 06:08 PMI'm definitely going for that Wonderboy (Dragon's Curse) physical release!
Same here, I can't wait to try that. Any idea when that's going up for sale yet?
August 4th,probably order myself a copy as well if i can get the order put in quickly enough.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

bartre

good news!
they dropped the cover art variants on Night Trap.
now it's the blue stripe and red box covers, and they're reversible, rather than having a 3rd variant.

xcrement5x

Quote from: bartre on 07/25/2017, 09:19 AMgood news!
now it's the blue stripe and red box covers, and they're reversible, rather than having a 3rd variant.
Probably because it'd be like impossible to get number of reward tickets to get the 3rd version. 

jtucci31

Quote from: bartre on 07/25/2017, 09:19 AMgood news!
Wow that's pretty logical. I'm shocked they wouldn't want to sell each individually and make people buy both. Reversible is sweet!

bartre

I think they're noticing that people are dropping off the train.
they've now had multiple releases that didn't sell out same day.

I'm off the hype train, but their next few releases will probably still get my money.
I've heard oceanhorn is really good, and Plague Road looks *just* interesting enough.

schweaty

Oceanhorn looks like a poor man's windwaker.  Considering that game is 14 years old, I played it on the gamecube and the Wii u remaster, I'm going to pass

TDIRunner

Quote from: schweaty on 07/25/2017, 04:14 PMOceanhorn looks like a poor man's windwaker. Considering that game is 14 years old, I played it on the gamecube and the Wii u remaster, I'm going to pass
I was thinking the same.  I'm probably going to pass on Oceanhorn, but Plague Road looks pretty fun.  I've passed on all games the past two weeks, but I see a few coming up that I'm interested in. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

NecroPhile

I see three of the four are pre-orders today, or so it said in the notification email; I see no mention of it on the game order pages.

Maybe it's time to change their name to "Limited Pre-Order Games".  :lol:

Groover

I hope I get a copy of Night Trap. I will be traveling and out of town that day.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Man, Oceanhorn flew off the handle!  Within 3 minutes, it was gone!  Barely got Plague Road as it is, though I'd much prefer Oceanhorn over Plague Road.  I might've nabbed Oceanhorn had it not been for me inputting something wrong in one of the fields for the credit card info.  I'm quite bummed about it!
IMG

Medic_wheat

I guess it's a good thing the two releases this past Friday did not interest me. I might have been numbed to have missed out.

ParanoiaDragon

If anyone has an Oceanhorn they don't want, maybe swap with my Plague Road?  Let me know!
IMG

TR0N

LRG put out a update on skullgirls finally.The developer lab zero had to do some more patches to get out the bugs,before LRG could release it.It's now set for a late release in september.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec