Has anyone tried this?

Started by DragonmasterDan, 10/18/2016, 07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonmasterDan

I'm considering buying one of these to get RGB SCART video out of. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-AV-Booster-RGBS-output-TurboGrafx-16-Composite-RCA-RGB-/311719707543?

I also noticed that I may need to cut plastic off the connector to get it to work on a US TurboGrafx.
--DragonmasterDan

ginoscope

It may not be the best thing in the world but for the price it may do it's job well.

You could also probably solder some pots in place of the resistors if the picture looks horrible.  I may have to pick one of these up to mess around with.

sirhcman

I would just spend the extra money and get fidde_se's cable. I have one and it is great!

DragonmasterDan

There's also this that's frequently out of stock http://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/ and quite a bit more expensive.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Don't bother with the db electronics thing. If you want a quality product which is guarenteed to work and looks the best, just buy a modded Tennokoe II from mickris.

That thing on eBay seems like a neat thing to buy separately just to fool around with, since it's so cheap.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Johnpv

I know a few people who have the DBElectronics one and they are really happy with the picture quality.  I've heard good things about the cables fidde_se sells on ebay as well.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Johnpv on 10/18/2016, 10:42 AMI know a few people who have the DBElectronics one and they are really happy with the picture quality.  I've heard good things about the cables fidde_se sells on ebay as well.
Yeah, I don't see the fidde_see ones for sale at the moment, DBectronics is out. I only have two spare turbo systems to try the ebay one on, a TG16 and a SuperGrafx and not sure if the pinout will work properly for the SuperGrafx.
--DragonmasterDan

sirhcman

Dan just message fidde_se on ebay, he will likely put up an auction so you can buy one (that is what I did)

CrackTiger

Keep in mind that if you use the board in OP's link or the DBE one, you will have a bare pcb sticking out the back of your console. The Tennoke II not only has an official PCE shell, it also saves games like the TurboBooster Plus/CD-ROM setups.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/18/2016, 11:55 AMKeep in mind that if you use the board in OP's link or the DBE one, you will have a bare pcb sticking out the back of your console. The Tennoke II not only has an official PCE shell, it also saves games like the TurboBooster Plus/CD-ROM setups.
Will a Tennokoe II fit into a TG16 or SuperGrafx?
--DragonmasterDan

csgx1

I use a rgb modded Tennokoe II for most of my Turbo systems(Turbografx and Supergrafx), which both have the same pinout.  Works with the Supergrafx without modding the connector shape. 

I'd like to know how well the ebay adapter works if anyone here gets one.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: csgx1 on 10/18/2016, 12:11 PMI use a rgb modded Tennokoe II for most of my Turbo systems(Turbografx and Supergrafx), which both have the same pinout.  Works with the Supergrafx without modding the connector shape. 

I've inquired to Mickris about one.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

mickris can describe how to cut a couple dpots on the TII shell to make it fit on a TG-16. He's posted pics and it looks the same visually.

Johnpv

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/18/2016, 10:47 AM
Quote from: Johnpv on 10/18/2016, 10:42 AMI know a few people who have the DBElectronics one and they are really happy with the picture quality.  I've heard good things about the cables fidde_se sells on ebay as well.
Yeah, I don't see the fidde_see ones for sale at the moment, DBectronics is out. I only have two spare turbo systems to try the ebay one on, a TG16 and a SuperGrafx and not sure if the pinout will work properly for the SuperGrafx.
ImplantGames on youtube has a SuperGrafx and uses the DBelectronics adapter with it, so I would imagine they kept the pin out the same.

mickcris

Quote from: ginoscope on 10/18/2016, 09:04 AMIt may not be the best thing in the world but for the price it may do it's job well.

You could also probably solder some pots in place of the resistors if the picture looks horrible.  I may have to pick one of these up to mess around with.
there are no resistors on that device.  it is really cheap, but keep in mind that its using transistors for amplification which is the very old way of doing it and does not produce the best picture.  not sure why they made it that way when they could have put a ths7314 on it for not much more money.  It would take more time to put together though i guess.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/pc-engine-rgb-amp/

you can use anything official that fits on the back of pc engine on a supergrafx.  trimming the connector also makes it fit on a tg16. That one from ebay probably fits without modification.  They put some extra plastic on the side of the official perriferals to make them not fit.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/18/2016, 12:55 PMmickris can describe how to cut a couple dpots on the TII shell to make it fit on a TG-16. He's posted pics and it looks the same visually.
It came in the mail and I can confirm it works with RGB (haven't tried saving anything).

IMG
--DragonmasterDan

mickcris

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/20/2016, 02:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/18/2016, 12:55 PMmickris can describe how to cut a couple dpots on the TII shell to make it fit on a TG-16. He's posted pics and it looks the same visually.
It came in the mail and I can confirm it works with RGB (haven't tried saving anything).

IMG
It saves.  I tested it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: mickcris on 10/21/2016, 08:58 AMIt saves.  I tested it.
Yep, did Neutopia 2 as a test earlier.

I'm noticing the RGB from the pins on the back of the unit is better than that from a modded Duo too.
--DragonmasterDan

mickcris

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/21/2016, 09:04 AM
Quote from: mickcris on 10/21/2016, 08:58 AMIt saves.  I tested it.
Yep, did Neutopia 2 as a test earlier.

I'm noticing the RGB from the pins on the back of the unit is better than that from a modded Duo too.
It's probably due to the amp used.  Not sure what amp you have in your duo.

DragonmasterDan

Fast forward many months later.

I picked up a cheap white RF only PC engine, and decided to look for a cheap AV boosting solution.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-AV-Booster-RGBS-output-TurboGrafx-16-Composite-RCA-RGB-SCART/152642002285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And it looks like Justin Choi put up a newer revision of his AV booster. It arrived yesterday and while it's a little flimsy, has no outer case, it works pretty well for the price. With a cheap 5.00 Genesis 2 SCART cable I didn't notice any major problems with either the sound or the image over SCART. I also tried a nicer shielded SCART cable with more or less the same results.

Obviously, Mickcris's RGB moded Tennokoe II produces a better image, has an outer shell and is a much better overall product. However, if you're just wanting a cheap solution to improve the video from an RF only console this isn't a bad product for the price.

I don't have one of the DB elec boosters to compare the results there, but if you're just looking for a cheap solution with decent results this isn't a bad option. If you're looking for quality + saving, the modded Tennokoe II is clearly the way to go.
--DragonmasterDan

retro junkie

I use this,
IMG
I got it from someone on eBay. They were making and selling them for around $20, I think, at the time. Been a couple of years. Works great. I get a very colorful sharp picture. And yes that is black electrical tape wrapped around that connection. It works for me.

brockmoreno

I bought one of these a while back and it works like a charm.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: brockmoreno on 08/14/2017, 01:16 PMI bought one of these a while back and it works like a charm.
The cable or the PCB I linked to?
--DragonmasterDan

Keith Courage

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/18/2016, 07:26 AMI'm considering buying one of these to get RGB SCART video out of. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-AV-Booster-RGBS-output-TurboGrafx-16-Composite-RCA-RGB-/311719707543?

I also noticed that I may need to cut plastic off the connector to get it to work on a US TurboGrafx.
That device will get the job done. Seller sent me one for testing a while back and it works well especially for the price. The circuit isn't what most people use now days to amp their RGB signals but it does work.

A good quality megadrive scart cable will be needed to avoid video interference and or audio hum with it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Keith Courage on 08/15/2017, 12:20 AMThat device will get the job done. Seller sent me one for testing a while back and it works well especially for the price. The circuit isn't what most people use now days to amp their RGB signals but it does work.

A good quality megadrive scart cable will be needed to avoid video interference and or audio hum with it.
Yeah, I didn't notice any bright screen hum even using a cheap cable. It certainly wasn't as sharp as Mickcris's modded Tennokoe II or my modded Duo, but for the price it's an inexpensive decent quality solution, especially if you haven an RF only unit like a TG16 or White PCE.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

This experiment was a success
IMG
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

Every time this thread gets bumped I click on it to see WTF it's about.
IMG

crazydean

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/06/2017, 06:24 PMEvery time this thread gets bumped I click on it to see WTF it's about.
So do I. Then I realize I'm not interested in the topic.