@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

VGA connector?

Started by MNKyDeth, 12/13/2016, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNKyDeth

So I just had a bit of a special request from someone. There TV has a VGA input 15pin d-sub port.

I believe this connection does RGB looking at the pinout diagrams I find online about it.

Anyone that has a bit more knowledge then I....
Would I just be able to RGB mod a console and put the connections to the R+ G+ and B+ on the pins and then use Pin 44 or composite video for sync and actually have it work?

I see there is a VS and a HS for vertical and horizontal sync. Do I need to use a specific one of these or do I need to use both somehow?

SignOfZeta

Nope, that's for higher frequency signals, basically a PC if you see H and V.
IMG

MNKyDeth

Thanks you for the answer.

After reading some stuff on this I was coming to the same conclusion. But thought it still might be worthwhile to ask just in case.

I was really hoping though cause this could open RGB possibilities for the portable, lol.

Oh well. I can dream right?

SamIAm

There do exist converters that will change 240p to VGA 480p with no added lag or quality loss. They're expensive, but you could at least be confident that they would work.

How does the TV like 240p through other connections? If you're feeling adventurous, you could hook up the RGB color lines as-is to a VGA connector, then run composite video into an EL1883, which would split off the horizontal and vertical sync pulses for you to connect to the appropriate places. However, there is very strong chance that the TV would not like the low resolution. Also, you might need to invert the sync pulses to get them to work. It just depends on what the TV is happy with.

Of course, no interlaced content would work.

Does this TV have component video inputs? You can get a much cheaper RGB to YUV converter, and the quality will be almost as good. Assuming that 240p works in composite and s-video, it will work with component, guaranteed.