OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Games that are still cheap - strike while the iron's hot

Started by bartre, 12/13/2016, 11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

So I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but I thought I might pop something in here to see what everyone thinks.
all the retro shit - especially our beloved Turbob - has gone up quite sharply over the past couple years.
to counter this, I've jumped on to the less retro stuff, PS3, Wii, and360
and because a lot of it is still so cheap, I've ended up with quite a bit - in particular for PS3.

so let's discuss -

what are some good sub $10 games for these systems?
coming to mind I see-
PS3/360
3D dot game heroes
BulletStorm
Crysis 2/3
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon
Eat Lead: the return of matt hazard
Lost Planet
Metal Gear Rising
Spec Ops: the Line
Shadows of the Damned
Vanquish

Wii-
Epic Mickey
New Super Mario Bros
Sonic Colors
Wario Land Shake It
Zack & Wiki

esadajr

ah Sonic Colors, One of the most underrated gems of the past gen. Great controls, too bad it was only on Wii. One of those that deserves de HD treatment.

Couldnt agree more, this is a great time to get those 7th gen games nobody wants.
Gaming since 1985

Gypsy

Some that came to mind not in OP (good titles listed there too).

Akai Katana, Deathsmiles, Far Cry 3, Uncharted 1/2/3, Sin and Punishment, Ultimate Shooting Collection, Burnout Paradise, Alpha Protocol, Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, Sleeping Dogs, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Infamous 1/2, Max Payne 3, F.E.A.R. 1/2/3, GTA IV, Tales of Vesperia.

I just kind of spewed all that out. After checking, seems like Deathsmiles has went up slightly. Still in the general range, but no longer $3 at Gamestop. Varying levels of quality here, but most are dirt cheap and I regretted none of them.

Bloufo

I more concentrating on the oXbox myself. Got some good stuff for it.
Although some of the games for that system are starting to rise steadily in price as well.

bob

i think you can still find splatterhouse pretty cheap for ps3/360.
cant go wrong with all the god of war versions that can be had for dirt and pennies
dont forget the ICO/Shadow collection.
there is a store near me clearing out Dishonored for $5, but im not sure if that is a good game or not.
saints row 3/4 were some good fun too
i have a copy of Prototype 2 that i also found for $5 new and i havent fired it up yet.

ToyMachine78

Dishonored is fun. I would recommend. Also check out Prey, Burnout Revenge, and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Gypsy

Quote from: gynt on 12/14/2016, 09:58 AMi think you can still find splatterhouse pretty cheap for ps3/360.
cant go wrong with all the god of war versions that can be had for dirt and pennies
dont forget the ICO/Shadow collection.
there is a store near me clearing out Dishonored for $5, but im not sure if that is a good game or not.
saints row 3/4 were some good fun too
i have a copy of Prototype 2 that i also found for $5 new and i havent fired it up yet.
God of War is a fantastic series I totally forgot to mention it despite having played all the games up to this point (not counting remasters).

Dishonored is worth the grab and play for $5 imo.

Saints Row 3/4 I definitely recommend as well. The series has more or less been improving with the first game definitely being the weakest. Lots of actual laugh out loud moments.

jlued686

Oh, I loved Wario Land: Shake It. Fun little 2D platformer, and the animation reminded me of something you'd have seen on the Saturn. If anybody sees that for cheap, definitely pick it up.

Medic_wheat

For me there are some games I want to get but hey have had or plan to have definitive HD all DLC content for current gen (PS4/XBONE) systems. That it makes me confused on which version to get. As I want to minimize buying the same game or collection for last gen when a more current version is available.

I guess I just need to sit down and make a list. Or something.

SignOfZeta

While I understand what you are saying (how do you think I got all this Cube shit?) the idea of starting a thread to strategize on how to buy the greatest number of games that you almost certainly will dump before playing, just seems like you are spreading the retro hoarder disease into new generations. If that's not exactly what's happening here then by all means explain why.

One dude x1000 games he'll never play = the problem, and you've proved yourself a totally bulemic collector. Nobody can eat the food that's in yourself. When you pig out at the store and then barf your hoard into another collector'a mouth nobody gets the play the stuff and the value goes up.
IMG

bob

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/14/2016, 12:27 PMWhile I understand what you are saying (how do you think I got all this Cube shit?) the idea of starting a thread to strategize on how to buy the greatest number of games that you almost certainly will dump before playing, just seems like you are spreading the retro hoarder disease into new generations. If that's not exactly what's happening here then by all means explain why.

One dude x1000 games he'll never play = the problem, and you've proved yourself a totally bulemic collector. Nobody can eat the food that's in yourself. When you pig out at the store and then barf your hoard into another collector'a mouth nobody gets the play the stuff and the value goes up.
Dude, you are so weird sometimes.  You do realize, not every post/thread has a hidden agenda or needs to be cracked like the Da Vinci Code, right?  Sounds to me like he was simply asking about "good" games on the cheap, to which most of the responses have been.  He didn't say anything like... "what's going to be worth money later?" or "WTB:  Any PS3 / X360 games you have!!".
We all know retro shit is out of control right now, and personally, I have recently gotten my first X360 and I'm looking around for good cheap-o games as well.  Does that mean I want to hoard hundreds of X360 games now?  Definitely not.  Just looking for some new experiences.
Anyway, from the OP, that's what I gathered after reading it.
Enjoy your cube "shit".  I'm sure somebody out there that actually wants to play it would like it.

geise

Quote from: bartre on 12/13/2016, 11:08 PMSo I've mentioned this in a couple other threads, but I thought I might pop something in here to see what everyone thinks.
all the retro shit - especially our beloved Turbob - has gone up quite sharply over the past couple years.
to counter this, I've jumped on to the less retro stuff, PS3, Wii, and360
and because a lot of it is still so cheap, I've ended up with quite a bit - in particular for PS3.

so let's discuss -

what are some good sub $10 games for these systems?
coming to mind I see-
PS3/360
3D dot game heroes
BulletStorm
Crysis 2/3
Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon
Eat Lead: the return of matt hazard
Lost Planet
Metal Gear Rising
Spec Ops: the Line
Shadows of the Damned
Vanquish

Wii-
Epic Mickey
New Super Mario Bros
Sonic Colors
Wario Land Shake It
Zack & Wiki
PS3:
RR7
ICO/Shadow of the Colossus
White Knight Chronicles
Ni no Kuni
Folklore

360:
Blue Dragon
RR6
DOA4
Rumble Roses XX (yep)
Otomedius Excellent (got my copy new for $5)

Wii:
Metroid Other M (i like it and is a $4 game)
Sin and Punishment

Medic_wheat

OP is simply avoiding high cost games and picking up games you can find at any GS or thrift store for last gen PS3/360/Wii/PSP/DS on the cheap.

Hell I love that I can go into a GS right now and pick up a game that got rave reviews or that seems interesting for $5-10 that back in the day would have been a weekend rental. Try out the game and desire if it's a keeper or something to get rid of with minimal cost.

Hell I picked up a few fun Wii games for .99 cents CIB  as well as DS games (lose).  Then a few months later some of these Wii games I got for .99 cents are now trending at $10-16. Makes me glad I splurged on that dollar to try out the game instead of spending more later.

Hell even better let's do this. Everyone in this thread who wants to play along  let's do a $10 challenge.

Once or twice a month let's post what we found (or bought) from GS or what have you from a retail store where the total purches was $10 plus tax. 

And keep the focus to the systems the OP is talking about.

That way those who are interested in a cheap easy to find game at any local retail store can see what's available. We could even post our initial thoughts on the game to sway a buy or avoid recommendation.

Medic_wheat

Did I seriously use the world hell to start my sentence three separate occasions?  Lol oh man.

Gredler

Can't go wrong with these, all under $10

360:

Ben10 Alien Force Vilgax Attacks

Ben10 Ultimate Alien Cosmic Destruction

Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion

Wii:

Toy Story Mania

Disney Car Toons Mater's Tall Tales

bartre

the collector mentality is exactly why I made this thread.
as stated above, this has nothing to do with the projected value of a game.
I just wanted to talk about good games that are still cheap, since it seems that any retro game with any pull in its name has just gotten stupid expensive.

back on topic -
Doom 3 is pretty cheap, I don't think it's quite under $10, but the console BFG editions are pretty good (though I would recommend the OG version with mods personally)
Best of Playstation Network - hey, Tokyo Jungle was pretty legit. Sounds and Shapes seals the deal

Saints row 2 was the best Saints Row game

sirhcman

Quote from: Gredler on 12/14/2016, 01:24 PMCan't go wrong with these, all under $10

360:

Wii:

Toy Story Mania

I have had the (mis)fortune of playing all these. They are not worth buying at all! I guess Explosion was alright

Medic_wheat

PS3:

ICO/Shadow of the Colossus : have the PS2 games. Have been interested in this collection as it's HD.

White Knight Chronicles: I keep almost picking it up. I think the sequel has both games but not sure is the first game is on disk or as DLC.

Folklore: have been interested but not completed to pull the trigger. Maybe if I find it for $5 or less.

360:

Blue Dragon:  heard it's only mediocre. Worth a buy?  Recommended price?

Rumble Roses XX (yep): am I getting this confused with the Xbox game where you play strippers doing BMX?

Gredler

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/14/2016, 01:27 PMWhite Knight Chronicles: I keep almost picking it up. I think the sequel has both games but not sure is the first game is on disk or as DLC.
It's all on one disc. I had a hard time getting into this game, it's very dense and rough. Tiny text if I recall.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/14/2016, 01:27 PMFolklore: have been interested but not completed to pull the trigger. Maybe if I find it for $5 or less.
I'd go higher than 5$ to replace my copy if the need were to arise., a worth while game with very unique and enjoyable environments.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/14/2016, 01:27 PMBlue Dragon:  heard it's only mediocre. Worth a buy?  Recommended price?
Overhyped before and during release time, underrated in the history of the system and era of rpgs. It's worth 15$ or less for sure.

Quote from: guest on 12/14/2016, 01:27 PMThey are not worth buying at all!
They are all masterpieces and fine examples of game development prowess. Please save your slander for another day!

geise

I love the difference in opinion for games.  Others love what others hate.  I liked Blue Dragon a lot.  I also didn't expect much from it.  It's probably the reason I enjoyed it more than others.  I tend to be a lot more forgiving.  Rumble Roses XX is the sequel to the all female PS2 wrestling game Konami made.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gredler on 12/14/2016, 01:24 PMCan't go wrong with these, all under $10

360:

Wii:

Toy Story Mania

Based on the title of probabaly pas on each one. They sound like shovel ware. Can you provid anything. To compel me to play these?

Gypsy

This thread took an odd turn.  :lol:

@gnyt: Besides the Japanese shooters, I would also recommend these for 360.

Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey (bit higher but still reasonable and a very solid JRPG experience), Crackdown (not the 2nd one though), Halo, Gears of War. Mass Effect is excellent if you haven't already played it, no longer console exclusive but it's one of my favourites so I have to mention it.

NecroPhile

I'm a sucker for the Lego games, none of which are worth much nor likely ever will be.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

I have been tempted to get the PS3 Strider game. I know it only got a JP physical release. Looking in eBay it seems to be at the $20 range some with free shipping.

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/14/2016, 01:27 PMBlue Dragon:  heard it's only mediocre. Worth a buy?  Recommended price?
Like Gred said it was overhyped which led to negative press. It's a light hearted/kiddy JRPG. I enjoyed it. Well worth $10.

Quote from: guest on 12/14/2016, 03:16 PMI'm a sucker for the Lego games, none of which are worth much nor likely ever will be.
These are pretty fun, plus local co-op.

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/14/2016, 03:10 PM

360:

Wii:

Toy Story Mania

Based on the title of probabaly pas on each one. They sound like shovel ware. Can you provid anything. To compel me to play these?
He was involved in the making of them. Is that enough to compel you? lol

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 12/14/2016, 03:57 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/14/2016, 03:10 PM

360:

Wii:

Toy Story Mania

He was involved in the making of them. Is that enough to compel you? lol
No lol. Unless we are talking free copies signed by the development team with concept art used in the development lol.

esadajr

Too bad Japanese tities don't go down in price to the $5-$10 level. $25-30 for older tities if you get lucky.

Anyways, back on topic, Little Big Planet series, Baja Edge of Control, Sega Rally Revo, Kameo, etc,etc,etc
Gaming since 1985

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esadajr on 12/14/2016, 05:08 PMToo bad Japanese tities don't go down in price to the $5-$10 level. $25-30 for older tities if you get lucky.

Anyways, back on topic, Little Big Planet series, Baja Edge of Control, Sega Rally Revo, Kameo, etc,etc,etc
I would be up to my eyebrows in Japanese tits for $5-10

nopepper

Yakuza Dead Souls (this one is rarely given props, but once you get used to the controls is a lot of fun)
Qubed
Death Smiles
Akai Katana
Otomedius
Raiden Fighters Aces
Journey

All of the above are cheap and appeal to old school gamer sensibilities.

There are a lot of modern stuff you can get super cheap as well, like Last of Us, Uncharted series, God of War collection, MGS Collection, etc

Gypsy

RFA is on the climb a bit. Great little compilation and one that has logged many hours on my 360. Had been $7 in Gamestop's system but they adjusted the price.

sirhcman

Quote from: nopepper on 12/14/2016, 09:20 PMYakuza Dead Souls (this one is rarely given props, but once you get used to the controls is a lot of fun)
Qubed
Death Smiles
Akai Katana
Otomedius
Raiden Fighters Aces
Journey

All of the above are cheap and appeal to old school gamer sensibilities.

There are a lot of modern stuff you can get super cheap as well, like Last of Us, Uncharted series, God of War collection, MGS Collection, etc
OP was looking for <$10 suggestions so Raiden Fighter Aces wouldn't fall in that category

bartre

question for everyone, do the original DS and PSP fit in with this category?

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 12/14/2016, 10:28 PMOP was looking for <$10 suggestions so Raiden Fighter Aces wouldn't fall in that category
Because I'm a rebel, I expanded it to the outlandish sum of double the price of the criteria laid out by the OP!

And technically, RFA is three games in one disc, so there, still less than $10 a pop.

So, to anyone reading this who likes shooters and wants an awesome set of games for the Xbox 360, RFA is still a hell of a deal.

Gypsy

Quote from: bartre on 12/15/2016, 12:29 AMquestion for everyone, do the original DS and PSP fit in with this category?
I'd say yes. I have a fair number of PSP games (mostly RPGs) and I don't think I spent more than $15 on but a few of them and those were still under $20.

DS has a lot of goodies as well. Plus both have recently received some reprints to pricier games which is nice and another option for both is EU copies I know there were some US DS games $60+ and the EU version (in English) was around $30 new.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/15/2016, 07:50 AM
Quote from: bartre on 12/15/2016, 12:29 AMquestion for everyone, do the original DS and PSP fit in with this category?
I'd say yes. I have a fair number of PSP games (mostly RPGs) and I don't think I spent more than $15 on but a few of them and those were still under $20.

DS has a lot of goodies as well. Plus both have recently received some reprints to pricier games which is nice and another option for both is EU copies I know there were some US DS games $60+ and the EU version (in English) was around $30 new.
I thought the DS was region locked.

NecroPhile

I don't know about the DS, but the PSP definitely does.  It's not quite as cheap as it was when gamestop was clearing 'em out (I picked up many then for $5 or less), but most of its library is still worth less than $20 each.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/15/2016, 08:50 AM

Completely region free my man.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/15/2016, 11:02 AM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/15/2016, 08:50 AM

Completely region free my man.
Yeah, all Nintendo handhelds until the 3DS have been region free. 

I will personally say that Blue Dragon is a fun little game.  Lost Odyssey is probably one of the best RPGS of that generation in my opinion.  It's been getting a lot more love recently, but still relatively underrated I think. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Gypsy

I think LO is pretty much my #1 PS360 JRPG. Especially if we are talking more traditional and cutting Valkyria which kind of blends genres and is another of my favourite Japanese games from that gen.

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 12/15/2016, 09:14 AM
I don't know about the DS, but the PSP definitely does.  It's not quite as cheap as it was when gamestop was clearing 'em out (I picked up many then for $5 or less), but most of its library is still worth less than $20 each.
Agreed.

One of the top cheap games is Gungnir, a SRPG with some teeth and that is not afraid to deviate from the FFT mold. The Ys games can also be had for fair prices, and they are all excellent.

The PSP also has great packaging, and those little UMDs are so damn cute.

:P

bartre

Picked up Naughty Bear Gold today for $8.
been circling this one for a while, there seems to be no middle ground on this one, either love it or hate it.
granted, the ones who seem to love it have all been the same people who say Conker's bad fur day was the best N64 game, soooooooo......

going into it, it'll probably be okay, with it being more about the presentation than the gameplay

Medic_wheat

Quote from: bartre on 12/27/2016, 08:23 PMPicked up Naughty Bear Gold today for $8.
been circling this one for a while, there seems to be no middle ground on this one, either love it or hate it.
granted, the ones who seem to love it have all been the same people who say Conker's bad fur day was the best N64 game, soooooooo......

going into it, it'll probably be okay, with it being more about the presentation than the gameplay
The game is average. I honestly feel the grafics and repetitive game play is what hurts it the most.

Like you I got it for $8 used and for that price point I enjoyed it more then If I had bought it new.

Honestly the price I paid for a game can greatly affect the amount of enjoyment I get. Because if I get a average game that I might play only a few times at lest I felt the $10 or so dollars spent was worth the price of admission.

bartre

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/27/2016, 09:37 PMThe game is average. I honestly feel the grafics and repetitive game play is what hurts it the most.

Like you I got it for $8 used and for that price point I enjoyed it more then If I had bought it new.

Honestly the price I paid for a game can greatly affect the amount of enjoyment I get. Because if I get a average game that I might play only a few times at lest I felt the $10 or so dollars spent was worth the price of admission.
I'm with you there, as long as I feel like i got my money's worth, I'm happy.
example - ride to hell was terrible, but the lols were worth the $5.

having played naughty bear, I honestly can't much stand it - mostly the narrator kills it for me.
he sounds like the narrator from Battle Block Theater, only shittier.

on that note, I figure I'll share my list of PS3 games that I own and that I'm looking for
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EdxYDEGWdmyBchHP1LEqW-xexQjuZQHC6EvKNWMVH7w/edit?usp=sharing

I can honestly recommend 90% of those games, with me having stuck through to the end on about 1/2 of them and a few platinum trophies.
anyone got more recommendations?

additionally, I've got a few other lists
wii:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WBLeMBUWP2rNpae35Hzbx2amA9c0OTr3ZrgKwhhODnE/edit

GC:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jUCcu-M_caoxCyaYZTtJ0GfFyRzd52fgBg_HzB1SW2M/edit?usp=sharing

PS2:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LikC3aAyt_awy8oTp5eXcAGbLtYIxfO9fCTxRcPQsSg/edit?usp=sharing

OG xbox:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TCDWUZP6fvKJk_X2MYOgrVfBWd5PyQnTNfpAA1dF594/edit?usp=sharing

Medic_wheat

Looks through PS3 game list

Oh that funny I saw that PS3 bleach game at a GS for $14? Maybe slightly less. I thought about getting t but couldn't remember a thing about the game play or reviews.

Thoughts? 

Lollipop chainsaw. I have yet to get that one. I think it's the only Suda 51 game on the PS3 I am missing. Although I have been tempted to get the JP import as there is a special edition that has additional costumes and missions not released in NA. I think it's the Valentines Day DLC or something?

DeshDildo

How has nobody yet mentioned South Park: The Stick of Truth?  I love that damn game.  I don't believe I've ever laughed so hard while playing a game.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

sirhcman

Quote from: Desh on 12/28/2016, 11:38 AMHow has nobody yet mentioned South Park: The Stick of Truth?  I love that damn game.  I don't believe I've ever laughed so hard while playing a game.
The greatest RPG ever (until The Fractured But Whole comes out at least)..

bartre

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/28/2016, 08:40 AMOh that funny I saw that PS3 bleach game at a GS for $14? Maybe slightly less. I thought about getting t but couldn't remember a thing about the game play or reviews.
it's.... Okay.
It makes me think kind of a mish mash of the naruto fighters on GC and Dynasty Warriors.
but it never really commits to either one, so there's something of a disconnect between what it feels like it should be and what it actually is, if that makes sense?

as to south park, i kinda spaced it I guess.
I got it on a steam sale and figured that was good enough :)

bartre

Well I just won a few games for the OG xbox via ebay:
Halo 1 - $1.68
Crimson Skies - $.99
Far Cry Instincts - $3.99
Burnout Revenge - $.99

total - something like $11 shipped

jtucci31

Quote from: bartre on 01/30/2017, 04:48 PMWell I just won a few games for the OG xbox via ebay:
Halo 1 - $1.68
Crimson Skies - $.99
Far Cry Instincts - $3.99
Burnout Revenge - $.99

total - something like $11 shipped
Report back with how you like Burnout Revenge! I LOVED Burnout Takedown on my PS2 when I had it, I played the crash(?) mode for hours on end. That game was amazing to me at the time. I never tried any others in the series, aside from an OK-at-best DS game.