@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Ys Origin Physical Copy

Started by Gypsy, 03/05/2017, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy

Siap but didn't see anything posted about this.

For PS4/Vita. Asian region, multi-language including English.

wayback.play-asia.com/ys-origin-multi--physical-edition-pre-order-now/

NecroPhile

I saw that in chatbox last week.  I'm still hoping for a NA release, but that'd be a fine option too. 

Is the english just sub titles and it still has JP voice work?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

I would think so. There still should be some hope for a US physical release with LRG I'd think.

xcrement5x

Quote from: Gypsy on 03/06/2017, 01:23 PMI would think so. There still should be some hope for a US physical release with LRG I'd think.
That's what I'm holding out for, I'd rather support LRG and Dotemu than Play-Asia.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 03/06/2017, 04:09 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 03/06/2017, 01:23 PMI would think so. There still should be some hope for a US physical release with LRG I'd think.
That's what I'm holding out for, I'd rather support LRG and Dotemu than Play-Asia.
Amen. I don't know if I can hold out though.  :-&

ParanoiaDragon

One thing I noticed while playing is that some names are spelled differently thruout the game.  Basically, the ingame story boxes show one spelling, but then the character/monster files are sometimes spelled differently.,  I'm not sure if this is how the Steam release was?
IMG

Johnpv

UGH I'd rather it come from anyone BUT LRG.  I'd like the chance to actually OWN a physical copy of the game.  I just don't have the time to try and get a game from LRG's method of release and their basically encouraging of collectards.

Gypsy

Quote from: Johnpv on 03/07/2017, 08:45 AM
UGH I'd rather it come from anyone BUT LRG.  I'd like the chance to actually OWN a physical copy of the game.  I just don't have the time to try and get a game from LRG's method of release and their basically encouraging of collectards.
I would hope for a game this big they would do pre-orders like they did with Skull Girls and Silver Case.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 03/07/2017, 09:19 AM
Quote from: Johnpv on 03/07/2017, 08:45 AM
I would hope for a game this big they would do pre-orders like they did with Skull Girls and Silver Case.
Speaking of which they just started shipping the silver case. Granted I had hoped it would be PS4 instead of the PC big box. Which oddly another company offered the physical PS4 which I also pre ordered. Will probbabaly sell my LRG of copy as I don't need it now.

geise

Just  buy the PC version straight from Falcom.  It will have way more than a plastic case, disc, and sleeve.

Joe Redifer

I have heard this version has issues since the PS4 just isn't powerful enough to run a strong game like this from 2006 without some frame drops and whatnot. Or maybe Falcom's programmers aren't powerful enough. One of the two.

geise

I know for a fact it would crash and burn trying to play Ys Book I & II ported from the Turbo CD.

SignOfZeta

Falcom - first in line to sign up for the new Sony system, last people on earth to justify developing for it.

I didn't mind it decades ago, but it's getting to the point where you wonder how many new systems you have to buy just to keep playing the same PS2 ports of 8 bit computer games.
IMG

Johnpv

Is it wrong to want an eventual Ys 9 on the Switch so that there's no need for 2 separate versions of the game.

incrediblehark

Quote from: Johnpv on 03/07/2017, 08:45 AMUGH I'd rather it come from anyone BUT LRG.  I'd like the chance to actually OWN a physical copy of the game.  I just don't have the time to try and get a game from LRG's method of release and their basically encouraging of collectards. 
I completely agree! I have had similar feelings about LRG from the start, I don't like the idea of artificially making a physical game so scarce, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-15 years when the guy running it is finally done with LRG we see a small fortune made on ebay with his own hoard of sealed limited editions.

As far as a Switch version, I'd love to see it and the rest of Falcom's games ported to it, but I don't think it will be happening unfortunately.

glazball

Quote from: incrediblehark on 06/03/2017, 03:54 PMI completely agree! I have had similar feelings about LRG from the start, I don't like the idea of artificially making a physical game so scarce, and I wouldn't be surprised if in 10-15 years when the guy running it is finally done with LRG we see a small fortune made on ebay with his own hoard of sealed limited editions.
You're free to hate LRG but some of your assumptions are incorrect.  LRG doesn't determine the number of copies made - that is up to the developers.  Also, so far all of LRG's releases have previously (or simultaneously) been available as downloads, so there is no artificial scarcity.  I could see an argument if the game was ONLY available as a physical disc from LRG.

Something like Ys though deserves a much bigger retail release, no matter who publishes it.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

NecroPhile

Quote from: glazball on 06/06/2017, 04:12 PMYou're free to hate LRG but some of your assumptions are incorrect.  LRG doesn't determine the number of copies made - that is up to the developers.
The original developer ultimately approves the numbers, sure, but don't think for a second that every single dev. is demanding runs that sell out in minutes.  There's no doubt that LRG is pushing them towards such small runs, either flat out refusing runs above a certain size and/or structuring their fee schedule to offer diminishing returns on larger quantities.

Quote from: glazball on 06/06/2017, 04:12 PMAlso, so far all of LRG's releases have previously (or simultaneously) been available as downloads, so there is no artificial scarcity.  I could see an argument if the game was ONLY available as a physical disc from LRG.
John and hark were specifically talking about the artificial scarcity of the physical versions, not of the games in general.

Quote from: glazball on 06/06/2017, 04:12 PMSomething like Ys though deserves a much bigger retail release, no matter who publishes it.
Agreed.  If it's not the largest run yet (and by a fair margin), they done fucked up.

Johnpv

Yeah the developers aren't the ones saying make me only 2500 copies of this game physically, that's LRG deciding that.  They claim that they'll go out of business if even one game doesn't sell out right away.  Personally I don't know how much of that I believe, if your profit margins are so thin that 10% of a product sitting on a shelf for a few weeks puts you out of business, you're doing something wrong.  They come off to me as selling rarity and not selling a game.

Gypsy

I'll quote myself from another forum when this came up there.

"LRG has said they have made more than the initial contract called for multiple times. So, CLEARLY, that isn't a restraint forced upon poor little LRG..."

Also LRG's general twitter response has been we sign great games and we don't need you, we have plenty of customers. Well recently the last two releases haven't sold out super fast and they have been changing their tune. Thankfully, they actually have quite a bit of competition now with PA getting in the game as well as some similar sites like signature edition games and special reserve games.

My take on them is that I like both better because they do pre-orders.

Sig edition is a little pricey compared to most LRG releases at $39 each but they stay readily available and they do discount games that sit.

Special Reserve's current offering is much better than what LRG usually offers. For $40 you get Shadow Warrior 1/2 on PS4 discs, as well as Steam codes for the games. With LRG's price model they would be $50 EACH. Please note this is fact and not random speculating hate. LRG has stated they price $10 over the digital full list price.

bartre

someone posted this on FB:

IMG

thoughts?

Gypsy

Yeah I read that entire convo line on twitter. I think it's good, they need to slow the eff down. Also hopefully with some bigger releases.

bartre

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/07/2017, 08:25 PMYeah I read that entire convo line on twitter. I think it's good, they need to slow the eff down. Also hopefully with some bigger releases.
also, who did you mean by PA?

HailingTheThings

Quote from: bartre on 06/07/2017, 09:22 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 06/07/2017, 08:25 PMYeah I read that entire convo line on twitter. I think it's good, they need to slow the eff down. Also hopefully with some bigger releases.
Play Asia?
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/08/2017, 01:58 AM
Quote from: bartre on 06/07/2017, 09:22 PM
Play Asia?
Correct. PA has started funding some limited releases. Though I always suspected they had a hand in getting most of those Asian region English language games to market anyway.

NecroPhile

4 releases a month is tough for most people to keep up with.  That'd be well over $1000 a year for just the games, and probably over $2000 if they're buying the other gewgaws (vinyl, cd, plush, etc.).

But they shouldn't have to rely on full set buyers to sell games.  If they'd stick to good titles, they'll still sell out, only they'd go to people that actually like the game instead of people that like sets.

xcrement5x

11 companies, really? 

I can think of Limited Run, Special Reserve, Signature Games, Fangamer, and maybe Play-Asia.  What are the other 6 companies I wonder.

Either way, yeah I think focusing on quality will help them survive in the long run.  If anything, kudos to Sony for continuing to support publishing Vita/PS4 games in such small batches.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

schweaty

I think they have a natural "fatigue" and a quality problem.  They've been releasing like crazy in 2017 and some natural fatigue is going to set in with buyers.  It's not a novelty any more it's a full up niche with all the other limited physical release companies sprouting up.  Plus, I think the quality of the games has declined.  I've passed on all but a couple games this year.  IMO they have been stinkers.

bartre

Quote from: schweaty on 06/09/2017, 01:20 PMI think they have a natural "fatigue" and a quality problem.  They've been releasing like crazy in 2017 and some natural fatigue is going to set in with buyers.  It's not a novelty any more it's a full up niche with all the other limited physical release companies sprouting up.  Plus, I think the quality of the games has declined.  I've passed on all but a couple games this year.  IMO they have been stinkers.
Same, I'm still snagging vita releases because I want there to be at least some kind of support, but I've hardly grabbed any of the PS4 releases.

I did grab the SRG release of Shadow warrior 2 though, I have yet to play #2, but if it's 1/2 as good as 1, I'll be very pleased.

geise

I predict Mighty Rabbit Games to go under in about two years with LRG to follow.

glazball

Quote from: guest on 06/06/2017, 04:39 PMJohn and hark were specifically talking about the artificial scarcity of the physical versions, not of the games in general.
Looking back at johnpv's quote, to paraphrase: I want to own Ys but ugh, artificial scarcity of LRG!  That's self-contradictory.  Without LRG, Ys may very well get NO physical release (for North America) so if you want to own a copy, that wouldn't happen without LRG.

I understand you were probably griping more about their business model and lack of pre-orders.

I agree with gypsy and schweaty that fatigue has set in and LRG would be much better off sticking to higher quality titles like Ys.  It's truly sad that there really are enough morons out there who will buy everything and keep it all sealed and shelved.  I read that one of LRG's founders is a sealed game collector himself.  Sigh...

SignOfZeta

All this distribution talk is way above my head. All I know is that of all the dumb subtitles of JRPGs I've seen, "Physical Copy" has got to be the lamest.
IMG

Johnpv

Quote from: glazball on 06/19/2017, 09:57 AMLooking back at johnpv's quote, to paraphrase: I want to own Ys but ugh, artificial scarcity of LRG!  That's self-contradictory.  Without LRG, Ys may very well get NO physical release (for North America) so if you want to own a copy, that wouldn't happen without LRG.

I understand you were probably griping more about their business model and lack of pre-orders.
I don't think wanting to own a physical copy of Ys and artifical scarcity need to go hand in hand.  Plenty of other publishers have put out Ys games on physical media and done so successfully.  Literally every other entry in the series that has come to our shores got a physical release on console.  It makes no sense to not take pre-orders for the Ys game, none at all.  All it games them is less copies of the game than should exist.

glazball

I agree there johnpv.  I think LRG is just a poor choice to publish US/NA Ys release.  I would say the same for the new Wonder Boy III remake too.

Sadly, too many games are getting "limited" physical releases without being labeled as such.  Take Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) - it sold out on Amazon and later on people realized what a great game it is and wanted to own it.  It deserves wider distribution like its sequel.