Snatcher English translation?

Started by Jester82, 05/17/2017, 04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester82

I did a little digging around the net today to see if there ever was a translation done for the PCE CD version of Snatcher. Only mention that I seen is on the Junker forums. But it appears dead sadly. Anyone thinking about working on this? Would love to play the PC Engine Version.

CrackTiger

There is no PCE translation, but many people have been thinking and talking about it since it came out.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=439123

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

I'd love one, but most peeps seem to think it's not worth the effort: "just play the sega cd".

But I say fuck FEKA.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

PCE version looks nice. I would have played it instead of the SCD version if there was a translation.

jtucci31

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 05/17/2017, 05:05 PMI'd love one, but most peeps seem to think it's not worth the effort: "just play the sega cd".

But I say fuck FEKA.
I agree. I don't have a Sega CD anyway and this is the original.

We'll have it some day...
IMG

crazydean

Did you guys know that playing FEKA doesn't make you a traitor?

ParanoiaDragon

I got 2064 Read Only Memories on the recent Flash sale on PSN.  Made me think of how badly I'd love the Turbog version transamalated, for sure'n!
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 05/18/2017, 02:56 AMDid you guys know that playing FEKA doesn't make you a traitor?
The hell, you say! It's the thin end of the wedge, I tell ya, that attitude.
IMG

esteban

It will happen.

Some day.

I know it will.

THIS IS TRUTH.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Galad

Quote from: crazydean on 05/18/2017, 02:56 AMDid you guys know that playing FEKA doesn't make you a traitor?
FEKA has some great games.

NecroPhile

I smell a filthy FEKA agent.

I wanna perv on nekkid Katrina, dammit!

spenoza

So, not to be a downer, but translators are easier to come by than hackers, so you'll have to find a hacker who is interested in helping to translate a game that is already available in English rather than picking up a title that's not available in English. Sure, Sega CD isn't our preferred platform, but I've heard the official translation for Sega CD was actually really good. I certainly wouldn't tell someone NOT to try to make this happen, but the reality is that it's less likely to happen than something new or novel.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 05/18/2017, 10:22 AMSo, not to be a downer, but translators are easier to come by than hackers, so you'll have to find a hacker who is interested in helping to translate a game that is already available in English rather than picking up a title that's not available in English. Sure, Sega CD isn't our preferred platform, but I've heard the official translation for Sega CD was actually really good. I certainly wouldn't tell someone NOT to try to make this happen, but the reality is that it's less likely to happen than something new or novel.
It's totally fine, I had no complaints.

CrackTiger

The Sega-CD version's localization wasn't good, but it's worth playing through if you can't handle the PCE version.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Jester82

Yeah I figured I would get people telling me to just play the Sega CD version. I think I will but from what I've read it's a little censored and not as good as the beloved PCE CD version. I've never played the game, just wanted to experience it as it was originally intended. Hopefully one day... If I had the skills, I'd do it myself. But im not hacker or programmer. Im the hands on hardware type. Guess I will try the Sega CD version for now.

Gypsy

It is censored, but it also has some extended scenes. I've not played the PCE version, so I can't say how much these scenes help or possibly detract from the game.

The colour is obviously going to look better on PCE CD. I remember reading the PCE version was the last one cut by Kojima, but this could just be an internet rumour, idk how legit the source was.

Like Black Tiger said, the game is worth playing, and if you don't know Japanese you can really only play the Sega CD version.

CrackTiger

The Sega-CD version has an opening cinema that is part of a comic that comes with the PCE version. The regular game ported over from PCE looks similarly colored, but that tacked on intro is dingy and ghoulish.

Otherwise, there is an inorganic Snatcher shooting segment dropped into the final act.

haightc

I've played thought both the Saturn and SegaCD version.    I was under the impression that most folks considered the Saturn version the definative version for both Snatcher and Policenauts.   One I have a working cd-rom again I hope to play though the PCE version.   I don't like the 3d animated intro on the saturn version but I felt the game flowed better comared to the SegaCD version.   I would like to see an english translation of the Snatcher for PCE and 3do policenauts, but I had no problem playing though in Japanese.    For whatever reason I found myself struggling a little bit more to understand the story when playing policenauts. 

Raizen1984

Assuming you're going to retranslate any version of this, I think it would be more worth wile to translate the PC-88 version.  It's more historically significant since it's the actual original version.

EDIT:  A PCE adventure game I'd like to see retranslated that came out in English on Sega CD is Space Adventure Cobra  :-"

ashrion

Not.
Kojima in pc-88 and horrible port from msx,
He was super limited by the machine and the result is not what he wanted and had thought, is more is horribly slow to play and lacks all the main explanation of the argument.

Pc engine is a game  That kojima wanted to do, already with fame and freedom from create, Your game, no limitations.

Sega cd is only a big shit, not kojima, only bad port from usa and europa, censored, horrible colours typical, megadrive-megacd, shit cover design, shit new images not create kojima, shit instructions, shit case, typical disaster pal- and us game conversions japanese games of 90`.

Not compare snatcher pc engine, with same version of megacd. One is a original game of kojima, other only one bad port of konami.

esteban

Quote from: ashrion on 05/19/2017, 04:18 AMSega cd is only a big shit, not kojima, only bad port from usa and europa, censored, horrible colours typical, megadrive-megacd, shit cover design, shit new images not create kojima, shit instructions, shit case, typical disaster pal- and us game conversions japanese games of 90`.

Not compare snatcher pc engine, with same version of megacd. One is a original game of kojima, other only one bad port of konami.
I feel you may have been angry or frustrated when you typed this.

Also, although you may be an agent of FEKA, you are doing a really good job of convincing me that PCE is your Saviour.

Amen, comrade.

Amen.

:)

Gypsy

Quote from: esteban on 05/19/2017, 06:35 AMI feel you may have been angry or frustrated when you typed this.
Also, he probably used google translate.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Raizen1984 on 05/18/2017, 09:29 PMAssuming you're going to retranslate any version of this, I think it would be more worth wile to translate the PC-88 version.  It's more historically significant since it's the actual original version.

EDIT:  A PCE adventure game I'd like to see retranslated that came out in English on Sega CD is Space Adventure Cobra  :-"
The Space Adventure has an amazing localization. I was shocked the first time I played through it. :)

Psycho Punch

Quote from: ashrion on 05/19/2017, 04:18 AMSega cd is only a big shit, not kojima, only bad port from usa and europa, censored, horrible colours typical, megadrive-megacd, shit cover design, shit new images not create kojima, shit instructions, shit case, typical disaster pal- and us game conversions japanese games of 90`.
I don't know why this post is so hilarious but I'm laughing my butt off right now.

ALL THESE SNATCHERS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT EUROPA:
ATTEMPT NO BIG SHIT THERE
DON'T USE THEM TOGETHER
WITH SEGA CD
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Raizen1984

Quote from: ashrion on 05/19/2017, 04:18 AMNot.
He was super limited by the machine and the result is not what he wanted and had thought, is more is horribly slow to play and lacks all the main explanation of the argument.

Pc engine is a game  That kojima wanted to do, already with fame and freedom from create, Your game, no limitations.

Sega cd is only a big shit, not kojima, only bad port from usa and europa, censored, horrible colours typical, megadrive-megacd, shit cover design, shit new images not create kojima, shit instructions, shit case, typical disaster pal- and us game conversions japanese games of 90`.

Lol

PukeSter

Why are Kojima fanboys some of the most obsessive people on the internet?

Directed by Hideo Kojima

CrackTiger

Quote from: PukeSter on 05/19/2017, 12:48 PM

Directed by Hideo Kojima
Especially since he's a hack who's entire career is built on appropriation.

"Images not create from kojima tracing over stills from USA and Europa films Dune, Blade Runner, Alien, Escape From New York, Lethal Weapon, etc. Therefore is shit!"

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 05/19/2017, 01:39 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/19/2017, 12:48 PM

Directed by Hideo Kojima
Especially since he's a hack who's entire career is built on appropriation.

"Images not create from kojima tracing over stills from USA and Europa films Dune, Blade Runner, Alien, Escape From New York, Lethal Weapon, etc. Therefore is shit!"
Lol yeah. I enjoy his games for the most part, but it's obvious what every game he made was ripping off.

SignOfZeta

I love this post.
IMG

Joe Redifer

The Sega CD version is a piece of shit because it's on a Sega platform. THE END. PC E is better it's always betetr because PCE because 1337. Fucking Sega and their intro it fucking sucks OMG it's SO HORRIBLE and that localization!!! Pure crap@ It's just awful! Imma shoot myself but first I wanna say pCE 4 lyfe OMG PCE always wins because PCE I just spooged OMG lolol.

That's what reading this thread feels like.

Gypsy

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/20/2017, 01:25 AMThe Sega CD version is a piece of shit because it's on a Sega platform. THE END. PC E is better it's always betetr because PCE because 1337. Fucking Sega and their intro it fucking sucks OMG it's SO HORRIBLE and that localization!!! Pure crap@ It's just awful! Imma shoot myself but first I wanna say pCE 4 lyfe OMG PCE always wins because PCE I just spooged OMG lolol.

That's what reading this thread eels like.
You should do a Game Sack video on this topic.  :dance:

CrackTiger

Here is are some good examples of the typical horrible colours of the Mega Drive/Mega-CD in USA/Europa:

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

You can easily notice all of the shades that were lost in the transition from PCE to Sega-CD, in Mika's hair/blazer, Napolean's robe/hair and Gibson's clothes. Also notice the censorship of the Gibson scene on Sega-CD.

It is obvious why ashrion doesn't want you to compare snatcher pc engine, with same version of megacd, which is only one bad port of konami.

Raizen1984

While there are some subtle differences in the color palette (it's mostly just brighter), some of the graphics seem more detailed on Sega CD (the jacket on Gibson, individual strands of hair on Mika, etc).

PukeSter

One of the main differences in Snatcher is some of the music, the PSG stuff.

Take this for example. The pce version is definitely to the sega cd here though I can't say for other tracks

CrackTiger

The chiptune sound in the PCE version matches the plastic visual style. The compositions also feel the most appropriate, regardless of what anyone prefers between individuals tracks.

But Snatcher is yet another game where most people ignore the actual music and instead quicky pick which bgm sounds like their favorite console's sound.

Mi5terDNA

Quote from: guest on 05/20/2017, 05:37 PMOne of the main differences in Snatcher is some of the music, the PSG stuff.

Take this for example. The PCE version is definitive to the Sega CD here though I can't say for other tracks
Wow, I've only played the SEGA CD version of Snatcher, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but the PCE version sounds leagues better.  I guess I didn't even realize there was a PCE version of Snatcher.  Between that and Shin Megami Tensei, I really need to pick up a CD-ROM unit (and learn Japanese...)
eBay Feedback: http://ebay.to/1U809Kn
FamicomWorld Feedback: http://bit.ly/1Vh9DYQ

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/20/2017, 01:25 AMThe Sega CD version is a piece of shit because it's on a Sega platform. THE END. PC E is better it's always betetr because PCE because 1337. Fucking Sega and their intro it fucking sucks OMG it's SO HORRIBLE and that localization!!! Pure crap@ It's just awful! Imma shoot myself but first I wanna say pCE 4 lyfe OMG PCE always wins because PCE I just spooged OMG lolol.

The FEKA version isn't all bad and is worth playing as the only english option, but that won't stop me from wanting a translation patch for the superior PCE version.  And why's it better?  Because tits and ass!

P.S. - What's wrong with eels?  :P

roflmao

This is one of the reasons I bought a Raspberry Pi. I'm not going to buy a Sega CD and Snatcher, but for $35 I can get the same experience. Sadly, I haven't played it as much as I'd like, but, holy moly, all the Blade Runner references makes me want to play it more!

P.S. - I purchased the PC Engine version before getting s RPi hoping I could find a good walkthrough, but so much is lost that way that I just couldn't enjoy it.

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 05/20/2017, 06:04 PMBut Snatcher is yet another game where most people ignore the actual music and instead quicky pick which BGM sounds like their favorite console's sound.
Not at all. me:  (worst) CD Redbook <<< PCE <<<< MSX <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Sega CD << PC-88 (best)

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/18/2017, 03:32 AMI got 2064 Read Only Memories on the recent Flash sale on PSN.  Made me think of how badly I'd love the Turbog version transamalated, for sure'n! 
R.O.M. 2064 is a wonderful game and totally worth tracking down for those that love Snatcher!  Completely loved playing through this.  I have it on Ouya and Steam, lol.  :D
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/07/2017, 10:55 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/18/2017, 03:32 AMI got 2064 Read Only Memories on the recent Flash sale on PSN.  Made me think of how badly I'd love the Turbog version transamalated, for sure'n! 
R.O.M. 2064 is a wonderful game and totally worth tracking down for those that love Snatcher!  Completely loved playing through this.  I have it on Ouya and Steam, lol.  :D
I got it in a flash sale on PSN.  Haven't played thru it(nor Snatcher) yet, but I had a feeling it was like Snatcher.  And I like the cyber punk theme of it.  I think it was 5 bucks on sale?
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 06/08/2017, 01:54 AM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/07/2017, 10:55 AM
I got it in a flash sale on PSN.  Haven't played thru it(nor Snatcher) yet, but I had a feeling it was like Snatcher.  And I like the cyber punk theme of it.  I think it was 5 bucks on sale?
Might seem like an odd duck of a game, but if you are on steam, I'd suggest giving this a try when you're done with R.O.M.-
store.steampowered.com/app/447530/VA11_HallA_Cyberpunk_Bartender_Action/

I really dig the characters and soundtrack!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Keith Courage

You forgot one major difference.
IMG IMG
you can see more cleavage in the pce version because the text isn't blocking it.

ToyMachine78

This rant needs to be the next spoof you guys do at the end of each episode.

esteban

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/13/2017, 06:03 AMYou forgot one major difference.
IMG IMG
you can see more cleavage in the pce version because the text isn't blocking it.
I just assumed we all agreed on that point.

:)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2017, 09:53 AMThis rant needs to be the next spoof you guys do at the end of each episode.
Are you sure that's a spoof? ;)
--DragonmasterDan