Watch horrible Duo mod work get repaired.

Started by Joe Redifer, 06/11/2017, 04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

This deserves its own thread. People who are buying pre-modded systems off of eBay probably won't wander into the repair/mods subforum first and very likely don't know about the glorious DoujinDance. This video from Voultar opens up one of DoucheinDance's systems that was sold for $400 on eBay and fixes everything. Watching him work is kind of like watching and listening to a vulgar Bob Ross fix PC Engine stuff. Very satisfying to watch this get fixed and enjoy his techniques. Yes, it's sexual.

Legend of the Douche: Episode 1:

wilykat

Looks like one of the 3 plastic pins that holds the CD mech is broken off. The far right side.

Gypsy

Thanks for posting. Sharing this elsewhere.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/11/2017, 04:17 AM...

Watching him work is kind of like watching and listening to a vulgar Bob Ross fix PC Engine stuff. Very satisfying to watch this get fixed and enjoy his techniques.
Awesome, thanks for sharing this video. Although we had a thread or two here about "atrocious mods/repairs", a video with "insightful" commentary really helps me (a lei-man) understand stuff.

Sadly, I usually wouldn't find this sort of video "recommended" to me by the Google algorithm. My account has been compromised: someone has been signing-in with my YouTube credentials and watching Dane Cook videos for hours on end. This bastard then proceeds to award a "thumbs up" to each of these abominations.

So now, the "suggested" videos in my YouTube feed are equal parts Dane Cook, Dame Edna and Jim Lehrer.

Although I can't positively identify the person/organization tainting my YouTube feed, I suspect agents of FEKA.

If you see anything suspicious, please give me heads-up.

Thanks.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MNKyDeth

I have fixed many of these systems as well.

Mostly the RGB circuit Doujindance uses fades to a yellow'ish hue. And a lot of times the region mods don't work with everdrives.

I had a system a while ago that had some dead HuC chips on it so it used it as a parts system. First Doujindance system I got I got removed the hucard slot and replaced it. it's much faster and less messy this way imo. Then in your free time remove the black tar from the hucard slot pins and use that one on the next system that comes in that was modded by Doujindance.

Anyways, nice to see good quality repair to shitty ass mod work happening out there from other people as well.

nopepper

Wish I would've seen something like this before I purchased one from him 2-3 years ago.

Thankfully, I've never had any issues with it, but I dread what I will uncover if I ever decide to look at its internals (which I will probably do right now after looking at this abomination).

Thanks for sharing.

Flare65

Thanks for sharing this.  I'm scared to even look inside the one I have....

ChuChu Flamingo

crazydean

Thanks for posting this. We always hear about how poor his work is but this video shows exactly why and how to do it right.

NecroPhile

Heh, that was fun to watch.  It was still a lot of work, but I'm surprised how easy he made it look getting out all that goop.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nopepper

I remember those days when I used to be happy with my doujindance.

/11r9ouo.jpg

Ignorance is bliss.

SignOfZeta

Some observations:

Why the hell is this in Chit Chat?

Why is his region board so big? The one I installed in my Duo R, years before he even began his "service", is half the size at most.

Re: "Service", see George Carlin.
Given that Doujindance has, apparently, modified hundreds (!) of Duos I think this thread should be pinned at the top of the TG/PCE Repair/Mod Discussion since the technique for epoxy removal will...probably have to be learned by all of us at some point.

The guy in the video kind of annoys me. I get what he's saying, and lots of non-annoying people only become annoying when you listen to them for 40 minutes like I just did, but he does kinda come off as self-aggrandizing to some extent. Also, if I were to rag on Doujindance for that long I'd concentrate on more of what a culture crime it is to fuck up hundreds of Duos more than what he's charging for it. This is a subtle distinction, I don't expect anyone to get it.

I once posted a picture of a mod I did (Duo R region hack, same thing as here) and everyone here laughed at me because the wires I used were so thick. That modded system has been my daily ever since (2006) and has outlasted literally tens of millions of XBoxes and Playstations, that is, the system itself (go NEC!) and my big gauge region mod. This guy's crap somehow quits working even with enough epoxy to make the back of the HuCARD socket the most durable and indestructible part of the system.

At work we're doing this project involving portable poop/steam powered generators and the control units of the oil control units are completely filled with epoxy. %100 impossible to ever service...and this is common in industrial applications, but this is done with stuff that is built with almost no compromises in materials or design anywhere in the module so a) the odds of anything failing are low and b) if it does the cost of repair is anticipated/understood. There are no horrible surprises from the next guy to look at it. "Hey yeah, sir, we opened up your system and it turns out its completely filled with glue. I can't fix it. Come pick it up. No, I'm not interested in being paid flat rate to pick glue out of your POS, sir."
IMG

DeshDildo

I like this guy... doing God's work saving these systems and has a similar sense of humor as myself.  "The Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" stuff is hysterical because I say the same thing.  I think it's because this very commercial made me the man I am today
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

seieienbu

It was quite satisfying to watch that poor Duo get cleaned up and fixed.  I'm quite curious exactly how many of the systems this guy has gooped up over the years.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: Desh on 06/13/2017, 11:37 AMI like this guy... doing God's work saving these systems and has a similar sense of humor as myself.  "The Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" stuff is hysterical because I say the same thing.  I think it's because this very commercial made me the man I am today
Hahahahahhaha.

I don't remember that specific commercial, but there were a bunch of them.

Also, there was a 1-800 number in most commercials and the Church of LDS would send you a 30-40 minute video propaganda film. It was an awesome video, circa mi-80's.

I'm sure someone must have uploaded it to TubeYou by now.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/13/2017, 12:25 AMSome observations:

Why is his region board so big? The one I installed in my Duo R, years before he even began his "service", is half the size at most.

Given that Doujindance has, apparently, modified hundreds (!) of Duos I think this thread should be pinned at the top of the TG/PCE Repair/Mod Discussion since the technique for epoxy removal will...probably have to be learned by all of us at some point.

The guy in the video kind of annoys me. I get what he's saying, and lots of non-annoying people only become annoying when you listen to them for 40 minutes like I just did, but he does kinda come off as self-aggrandizing to some extent. Also, if I were to rag on Doujindance for that long I'd concentrate on more of what a culture crime it is to fuck up hundreds of Duos more than what he's charging for it. This is a subtle distinction, I don't expect anyone to get it.

I once posted a picture of a mod I did (Duo R region hack, same thing as here) and everyone here laughed at me because the wires I used were so thick. That modded system has been my daily ever since (2006) and has outlasted literally tens of millions of XBoxes and Playstations, that is, the system itself (go NEC!) and my big gauge region mod. This guy's crap somehow quits working even with enough epoxy to make the back of the HuCARD socket the most durable and indestructible part of the system.

At work we're doing this project involving portable poop/steam powered generators and the control units of the oil control units are completely filled with epoxy. %100 impossible to ever service...and this is common in industrial applications, but this is done with stuff that is built with almost no compromises in materials or design anywhere in the module so a) the odds of anything failing are low and b) if it does the cost of repair is anticipated/understood. There are no horrible surprises from the next guy to look at it. "Hey yeah, sir, we opened up your system and it turns out its completely filled with glue. I can't fix it. Come pick it up. No, I'm not interested in being paid flat rate to pick glue out of your POS, sir."
You can power a generator with poop? Servicing those must be a real shitty job!

DeshDildo

Quote from: guest on 06/13/2017, 05:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  My first thought was methane but, I also remember reading an article awhile back about a process that turns sludge into pellets that can be burned like coal.  We must know the answer!
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Desh on 06/13/2017, 10:04 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/13/2017, 05:21 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  My first thought was methane but, I also remember reading an article awhile back about a process that turns sludge into pellets that can be burned like coal.  We must know the answer!
If you can burn poop in a generator, I know Jim Bakkers next big swindle.

"What are you gonna do.... With the doo-doo"

SignOfZeta

OK, since Mormons and poop are hilarious today I'll offer more info.

I'm not on the project but its a small facility so I've seen the stuff. We don't have any massive manure stockpile and we're right smack in the middle of the town so I don't foresee any actual 18 wheelers full of poop coming in. I assume that if we actually run the things here that we'll be using methane from a bottle but, like I said, I'm not really in the know. These are kinda small scale semi-portable things that are made to power rural African towns. Its all mostly off-the-shelf stuff, as much as possible to save cost, sitting on a pallet about the size of the average American bathroom. A medium sized truck could move it from place to place.

When I know more I'll let my poop maniax at PCEFX know.

I went to Mormon church in the 80s. I don't have much to say about it. It was just another church, I went to lots back then. They are known for how weird they are but honestly, when it comes to Christians, you can't do much better. Mormon's are honestly one of the few positive faces I see of Christianity nowadays, now that its basically become an almost totally non-Biblical club of assholes looking for exactly the right kind of victimhood that will allow them to completely ignore all 10 commandments and everything Jesus said.

I also went to the Salvation Army. That's the real deal right there. Everyone is poor. Everyone. The guy that runs the Church, everyone that goes there, everyone in the neighborhood. I sure as hell was. At Christmas they gave out toys and for some kids thats the only toy they got.

I have a lot of problems with jerk Christians, but how many atheist soup kitchens have you seen? Exactly. Hopefully secular humanism will catch up on the generosity game but they have a lot of ground to make up.

I'm reading a lot of Tich Nah Hang these days.
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/14/2017, 12:56 AMI went to Mormon church in the 80s. I don't have much to say about it. It was just another church, I went to lots back then. They are known for how weird they are but honestly, when it comes to Christians, you can't do much better. Mormon's are honestly one of the few positive faces I see of Christianity nowadays, now that its basically become an almost totally non-Biblical club of assholes looking for exactly the right kind of victimhood that will allow them to completely ignore all 10 commandments and everything Jesus said.

I also went to the Salvation Army. That's the real deal right there. Everyone is poor. Everyone. The guy that runs the Church, everyone that goes there, everyone in the neighborhood. I sure as hell was. At Christmas they gave out toys and for some kids thats the only toy they got.

I have a lot of problems with jerk Christians, but how many atheist soup kitchens have you seen? Exactly. Hopefully secular humanism will catch up on the generosity game but they have a lot of ground to make up.

=D>

Assholes are assholes, and will be assholes until they die, using whatever they need to do it.

I might not have a ton, but I always make it a point to help out the less fortunate whenever I can.

nopepper

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/14/2017, 08:07 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/14/2017, 12:56 AMI went to Mormon church in the 80s. I don't have much to say about it. It was just another church, I went to lots back then. They are known for how weird they are but honestly, when it comes to Christians, you can't do much better. Mormon's are honestly one of the few positive faces I see of Christianity nowadays, now that its basically become an almost totally non-Biblical club of assholes looking for exactly the right kind of victimhood that will allow them to completely ignore all 10 commandments and everything Jesus said.

=D>

Assholes are assholes, and will be assholes until they die, using whatever they need to do it.

I might not have a ton, but I always make it a point to help out the less fortunate whenever I can.
Can you clean up the goo in my Duo R? I'll even pay for postage.

Green Beret

I wish I knew about this a week ago when bought a DuO R from him. Too late  ](*,)

Dicer

Quote from: Green Beret on 06/18/2017, 08:48 AMI wish I knew about this a week ago when bought a DuO R from him. Too late  ](*,)
I feel you I almost bought one from him ages ago before I knew better, to do such slop work on machines that aren't exactly plentiful, it's a damn shame.

Could always return it to the guy and buy https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=22362.0 mine lol

Green Beret

Thanks for the proposition. Your console isn't RGB and region modded?

A proper RGB mod is essential to me.
I have to examine a few things before sending back the console though.
On his auction he says he is not using hot glue anymore. I have to open mine and see what is going on inside.
Then If his RGB mod or region mod isn't working ok I can ask him a partial refund.
I could  find the guy from the video and ask him if he could fix the console for me.

OR I could send it back for a full refund

Gypsy

Well he probably isn't using hot glue. Epoxy isn't hot glue after all.  :dance:

Also not just the guy from the video, there are many other good guys out there that will fix it and do it right. I would recommend inquiring how much they charge and going from there. I would assume you'd have to eat return shipping to Japan to return it, which is far from ideal but it might still be cheaper to return it and buy a modded duo from Keith Courage.

Green Beret

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/18/2017, 01:13 PMWell he probably isn't using hot glue. Epoxy isn't hot glue after all.  :dance:

Also not just the guy from the video, there are many other good guys out there that will fix it and do it right. I would recommend inquiring how much they charge and going from there. I would assume you'd have to eat return shipping to Japan to return it, which is far from ideal but it might still be cheaper to return it and buy a modded duo from Keith Courage.
Yes I will have to eat shipping to Japan.
Who is Keith Courage?

Thanks

Gypsy

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/18/2017, 02:26 PMA user here that does modwork and sells already modded consoles. Good guy.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=3785
Keith Courage, along with others, can absolutely be trusted.

:)

nopepper

I agree with Zeta that this thread should be stickied (and some other stickies perhaps purged...), as this guy needs to be stopped from propagating these poor systems. This should be general knowledge and almost required reading/viewing for every new member.

And it's also too bad this forum (along with NG.com) has such bad reputation of tribalism, as that doesn't help your average Joe trying to find alternatives for modded systems. Having said that, besides a couple of prejudiced douche bags, I've found most people here to be helpful and accommodating to noobs like me, very much unlike the prevalent dick headedness at the neo geo forums.

Gypsy

Only massive douchebags and obvious trolls get shit on for the most part. I had a negative slanted view of this forum from what I read about it before I joined, but really it's totally fine.

crazydean

Quote from: nopepper on 06/18/2017, 05:09 PMI agree with Zeta that this thread should be stickied (and some other stickies perhaps purged...), as this guy needs to be stopped from propagating these poor systems. This should be general knowledge and almost required reading/viewing for every new member.

And it's also too bad this forum (along with NG.com) has such bad reputation of tribalism, as that doesn't help your average Joe trying to find alternatives for modded systems. Having said that, besides a couple of prejudiced douche bags, I've found most people here to be helpful and accommodating to noobs like me, very much unlike the prevalent dick headedness at the neo geo forums.
This thread is just preaching to the choir. Most new members here already have a console. Those who spend a little time on the forums first, before purchasing a console, are quickly told not to do business with this guy.

While I understand why we do not have a public forum, it means that threads like this won't be seen by anyone searching for info on google. The best thing you can do is share the video amongst other gaming forums where you are a member.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: crazydean on 06/18/2017, 06:35 PMWhile I understand why we do not have a public forum, it means that threads like this won't be seen by anyone searching for info on google.
Keeping the forum hidden from the public helps us to feel more 1337 and special. Like a secret club. A club that is better than other clubs.

Green Beret

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/18/2017, 02:26 PMA user here that does modwork and sells already modded consoles. Good guy.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=3785
I have already contacted  him and we are on stand by. I have to open the console to see what is inside.
I am waiting for my first game. When I fire it up I will judge RGB picture quality and if poor, console goes either back or for a proper clean mod

SignOfZeta

Quote from: crazydean on 06/18/2017, 06:35 PM
Quote from: nopepper on 06/18/2017, 05:09 PMI agree with Zeta that this thread should be stickied (and some other stickies perhaps purged...), as this guy needs to be stopped from propagating these poor systems. This should be general knowledge and almost required reading/viewing for every new member.

This thread is just preaching to the choir. Most new members here already have a console. Those who spend a little time on the forums first, before purchasing a console, are quickly told not to do business with this guy.

While I understand why we do not have a public forum, it means that threads like this won't be seen by anyone searching for info on google. The best thing you can do is share the video amongst other gaming forums where you are a member.
The video isn't just to shit on Doujindance, it's literally a tutorial on how to reverse the damage he does without fucking up the PCB. I don't see how this isn't useful to the mod scene at large considering he's done this to hundreds of machines by his own admission.
IMG

nopepper

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/19/2017, 11:35 AM
Quote from: crazydean on 06/18/2017, 06:35 PM

The video isn't just to shit on Doujindance, it's literally a tutorial on how to reverse the damage he does without fucking up the PCB. I don't see how this isn't useful to the mod scene at large considering he's done this to hundreds of machines by his own admission.
Agreed.

Additionally, somebody might lurk after joining, and unless the selling posts from reputable modders are in the first couple of pages, might easily miss alternatives.

This information is good for the community in more ways than one.

wiseau

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/11/2017, 04:17 AMThis deserves it's own thread. People who are buying pre-modded systems off of eBay probably won't wander into the repair/mods subforum first and very likely don't know about the glorious DoujinDance. This video from Voultar opens up one of DoucheinDance's systems that was sold for $400 on eBay and fixes everything. Watching him work is kind of like watching and listening to a vulgar Bob Ross fix PC Engine stuff. Very satisfying to watch this get fixed and enjoy his techniques. Yes, it's sexual.
QuoteDoujinDance can't mod for shit
Oh Damn that's not good... least it was cheaper than actually buying a real Duo, and, i didn't actually buy it from him.

Gypsy

What do you mean by real Duo? A US Turbo Duo? That's kind of funny if so given that it's a Japanese console and was a lot more successful in Japan.

Green Beret

I had read some discussion about this particular seller in Neo-Geo forum between a couple of members and it was good things. That's why I bought from him in the first place. In this forum I asked info about duijidance guy and people weren't happy when they heard his name. Then I saw this video and I was terrorised for what shitty modded console I might have bought a week ago.

I spoke with Keith Courage he gave me some advice about DUO R models in general and where I need to be cautious. I then bought a T10 screw driver and opened the console to see the guts

It was advertised as RGB modded, region free, jailbar free. It was also advertised to have a brand new CD lense and to be fully recapped.
RGBMod1.webp
RGBMod2.webp
Yesterday I received my first HuCard and I am happy with RGB quality. No jailbars to distract any attention. I have an issue while playback audio CD and I have told to adjust the V102 potentiometer and if nothing happens, then move on to the V101 potentiometer. Tonight I will try to fix it.
That region mod would still require a voltage fix for everdrive function though

Many thanks to Keith Courage for helping me out. He is really a great guy and he loves PC Engine. He has a lot of knowledge in modding the machine.

blueraven

Glad Voultar took action and made the video.

This was last year's conversation, for posterity's sake:

Doujindance = CRAP RGB Mods. DONT BUY FROM THIS SELLER (but post pics)

Enjoy! And keep throwing his shit under the bus. Doujindance needs to be stopped.

DildoKKKobold

so, unfortunately, it looks like the only way to get an RGB 3DO these days, is by paying Duojodance an insane amount of money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-3DO-REAL-FZ-1-RGB-Component-YPbPr-model-240p-480i-switch-/192229878960?hash=item2cc1cb2cb0:g:oVUAAOSwT5xZS3o9

It seems, given his poor mod skills, someone else must be making his 3DO boards?
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Gredler

CrackTiger

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 06/30/2017, 08:06 PMso, unfortunately, it looks like the only way to get an RGB 3DO these days, is by paying Duojodance an insane amount of money...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-3DO-REAL-FZ-1-RGB-Component-YPbPr-model-240p-480i-switch-/192229878960?hash=item2cc1cb2cb0:g:oVUAAOSwT5xZS3o9

It seems, given his poor mod skills, someone else must be making his 3DO boards?
His screenshots of RGB look blurrier than composite, s-video and component.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 07/02/2017, 01:07 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/30/2017, 08:06 PMso, unfortunately, it looks like the only way to get an RGB 3DO these days, is by paying Duojodance an insane amount of money...

His screenshots of RGB look blurrier than composite, s-video and component.
I thought the best shots were S-video. The component and RGB seemed to add almost nothing over composite.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gypsy on 06/20/2017, 07:47 AMWhat do you mean by real Duo? A US Turbo Duo? That's kind of funny if so given that it's a Japanese console and was a lot more successful in Japan.
As I have said many times before on this forum, video game fans aren't as smart as fans of other things. Nobody is interested in Wagner dubbed into English or thinks %1000 price increases are "just supply and demand" but in the video game world...

I follow a Spanish Mazinger Z group on Facebook. I should ask there if the scene in Spain has a lot of guys who think Japanese Mazinger stuff is fake and cheap and worthless rather than infinitely more pure. I don't speak Spanish though because, well, I'm a video game fan too so...
IMG