Convince me I was right to buy 1941

Started by soop, 07/10/2017, 06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

I finally did it.  I rationalised it by thinking it's not ever going to get any cheaper, and I have the money right now, but I just spent close to £200 on a video game.  That's pretty fucking crazy.  I mean technically, it is an asset.  If I was suddenly in need of that kind of money, I could just resell it.  It's not like I'm buying a wardrobe or something. 

I think I got a fairly good deal as well, a loose card sold for £100 that I was willing to drop £70 on, a complete copy went for £310, and my copy has the case and manual but no cardboard sleeve.  So I don't know if I paid £100 for a case and manual, or saved £100 on a cardboard sleeve.  Either way, that's the final Supergrafx game I needed, and one of the last remaining PC Engine titles I was after.  I think there's ~5 more that I had an eye on but obviously they cost a lot less.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

MisterCrash

I think 1941 has always been the most expensive SuperGrafx game, and the price seems to continue to climb. On YJA, I couldn't find a single copy had sold for less than 35,000 yen in the past 3+ months:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch;_ylt=A7dPFtCAW2NZ_HYANAD3KP97?p=1941+カウンターアタック&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8

It also feels like the pricing at the top of the video game market resembles that of luxury goods, where prices consistently outpace inflation. They could crash, but as long as retro gaming is popular, that is unlikely to happen.

I got my copy late last year for 19,900 yen, which was missing the cardboard sleeve as well.

Congrats on finishing your SuperGrafx collection.

esteban

This is easy:

When I owned SuperGrafx, guess which game I kept going back to...CONSTANTLY and happily and with great pleasure?

Although I enjoy Aldynes, in terms of hours logged per game, 1941 easily tops it.

Those two games, by the way, easily justify the purchase of SGX back in the day.

Now, I regret letting go of SGX...

BACK ON TOPIC: If you are going to put in tonnes of time playing 1941, it doesn't matter if you paid too much today. Think of all the fun that 1941 will provide.

You are allowed to indulge in a few games... but you shouldn't be making weekly extravagant purchases like this unless you can play SuperGrafx whilst on the job.

ALSO: I only spend what I can "lose"... I do not count it any differently than money spent on food (it's all...gone!)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

soop

Thanks guys, that does make me feel better :)

Also, one of my fave local bars has a 1941 cab, so maybe I can impress people after practicing at home

I was actually going to buy myself a switch, but I figured I have so many other games to play, I can't justify it, so  I guess maybe I'll look to save a little and pick one up around xmas.

NecroPhile

It will impress Donna.  Totally worth it.  :-"

Also, like you said the price ain't likely going down any time soon.  You can play it for a while, then resell and recoup your money if you decide it's not worth keeping around.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2017, 07:31 AMThis is easy:

When I owned SuperGrafx, guess which game I kept going back to...CONSTANTLY and happily and with great pleasure?

Although I enjoy Aldynes, in terms of hours logged per game, 1941 easily tops it.

Those two games, by the way, easily justify the purchase of SGX back in the day.
I enjoyed 1941 (and much more so Aldynes) but Daimakaimura alone made it a must own for me ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

soop

Yeah, Daimakaimura is impressive, if brutally hard.  I have a friend who managed to 1cc complete the thing on some compilation, and he remarked that it's one of the closest arcade ports he's ever seen, especially given the time.  I kind of wish there was some kind of cheat for it so that I could get past the first level!

SignOfZeta

I don't think any SGX game is in the top 20 of PCE games and most of those can be had for a lot less so...personally, I think it wasn't that great of a decision. I wouldn't be happy with it myself. It's a dull boring WWII shooter with not much going on. The mentioning of its liquidity would seem to indicate you can't really afford it either.

Hey, you brought it up....

Isn't Black Tiger selling both Spriggens and Nexr? Do you have all of those? All of their are better than 1941. If you're genuinely out of PCE stuff to buy I guess the returns diminish, but if you haven't run out of SCDs that's really where the action is. I can't even tell SGX games actually are SGX games by looking at them. Super unimpressive, IMHO.

EDIT: massively inaccurate date/title used for some reason.
IMG

Gypsy

Couple of those games from BT are coming to my lair, paid for and waiting. I already have Spriggan soooo maybe someone will be very happy come secret santa time.  O:)

soop

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/10/2017, 10:10 AMCouple of those games from BT are coming to my lair, paid for and waiting. I already have Spriggan soooo maybe someone will be very happy come secret santa time.  O:)
I remember reading a review of either Spriggan or Spriggan 2 back in the day claiming it was one of the best games on the system, but it's not something I ever got round to buying. Still, pretty happy with my collection, it's mostly hueys tho

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/463/show-collection.htm

Gypsy

Spriggan is a top 5 shooter on the system, pretty easily imo.

soop

Quote from: Gypsy on 07/10/2017, 10:27 AMSpriggan is a top 5 shooter on the system, pretty easily imo.
I'll give it a look, thanks for the heads up

Gypsy

The second one is completely different.

blueraven

You've fawned over that game for how many years?

I'd say the purchase was justified.

I felt like an asshole paying $75 for terraforming, and its one of my favorite shooters.

Arkhan Asylum

You fucked up.

If you have to have a bunch of assclowns on a forum convince you that it was a good idea, you fucked up.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

blueraven

It's his money, and he wanted the game for a billion years... he said he was willing to break the piggy bank because he couldn't find it for cheaper.

I don't see the issue here, Ark, other than the general bullshit of the Turbo Market. I remember paying about $60 for that game back in 2004 or so, and then selling it for i think $80 to a forum member in 2008 who offered me that price.

Is your argument that by paying $200 for the game that its inflating the price?

soop

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 02:33 PMYou fucked up.

If you have to have a bunch of assclowns on a forum convince you that it was a good idea, you fucked up.
Nah, I feel pretty good about it right now.  And besides, for the most part, these guys are legit A1 assclowns.

Quote from: blueraven on 07/10/2017, 01:13 PMYou've fawned over that game for how many years?

I'd say the purchase was justified.

I felt like an asshole paying $75 for terraforming, and its one of my favorite shooters.
Yup, I remember it being nearly as expensive ever since I set my eyes on it, although some recent sales did blow my mind a little, which convinced me to pull the trigger.  It's not something I'm likely to ever do again either, but I feel like I made the right choice.

This feels like going to a restaurant and ordering decent wine and the most expensive steak, except I get to keep eating the steak whenever I feel like it.  It is a lot of money, but you can't take it with you.

NecroPhile

Quote from: blueraven on 07/10/2017, 02:44 PMIt's his money, and he wanted the game for a billion years... he said he was willing to break the piggy bank because he couldn't find it for cheaper.

I don't see the issue here, Ark, other than the general bullshit of the Turbo Market. I remember paying about $60 for that game back in 2004 or so, and then selling it for i think $80 to a forum member in 2008 who offered me that price.

Nah, the argument is that nothing we say matters.  If it's not worth it to soop, he never should've bought it; nothing we say will really change the equation.

To add to what I said earlier: all SGX stuff is rather pricey.  If the games aren't worth buying (a valid argument when comparing their value to the rest of the PCE library), don't buy the system at all.

Or get a flashcart.  :mrgreen:

soop

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 03:09 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 07/10/2017, 02:44 PMIt's his money, and he wanted the game for a billion years... he said he was willing to break the piggy bank because he couldn't find it for cheaper.

Nah, the argument is that nothing we say matters.  If it's not worth it to soop, he never should've bought it; nothing we say will really change the equation.

To add to what I said earlier: all SGX stuff is rather pricey.  If the games aren't worth buying (a valid argument when comparing their value to the rest of the PCE library), don't buy the system at all.

Or get a flashcart.  :mrgreen:
That is another good point, the Super Grafx to me as a kid was up there with the Neo Geo.  eBay didn't exist, and obviously me being 11 or so never had the money to import.  To own the system and every super huey is nothing short of a childhood dream come true. I probably hold it in higher regard than most.  Same with the GT, and it's why my collection is like 90% Hucard

yxlplig

If it's a game you like and will revisit for years I don't see a problem with it. If it's 2030 and I want to play Dungeon Explorer 2, Bonk 3, Musha Aleste etc, do I really care about the $200 in 201X money I spent on those games? You can always make more money.

I wouldn't call it an asset though. You aren't collecting a monthly payment from someone because you own a video game. And if you resell it you're probably not going to make a worthwhile return on it. Assets are supposed to make you money, 1941 clearly isn't going to improve your finances is basically what I'm trying to say.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 02:33 PMYou fucked up.

Thanks for putting it so much more plainly. If you need to be talked into buying something...something's fucked up.
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/10/2017, 06:36 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/10/2017, 02:33 PMYou fucked up.

Thanks for putting it so much more plainly. If you need to be talked into buying something...something's fucked up.
He already bought it. Any big purchase, good or otherwise, can be accompanied by some doubt. That's pretty normal. In fact, to not have any doubts at all is a sure sign of sunk cost fallacy.

Arkhan Asylum

It's not always a sure sign of sunk cost fallacy to be confident about a purchase and not have any doubts about said purchase.

Example:

I needed a new bike.  I picked out a blue bike I liked.  I bought said bike.

now I have a bike.  I have no doubts about the purchase of this bike.  It's blue, and has dope ass tires.

It's not like oh, I got this bike.  I thought I needed it.  I hate riding it, but I bought it so I am going to pedal in angst down the street, swearing the entire time because I bought it.

Same goes for a skateboard I just got.    I need skateboard---> Hey look I like that one---> Look, these wheels match, cool. ---> buy it ---> Ride it---> This was a good idea.  Now I have a skateboard.

However, in this case, it's ... probably the sunk cost fallacy.

He's asking for the forum to delude him into thinking it was a good idea.  It probably wasn't.   If it was a good idea, he wouldn't have to ask for help being sure of it.

He'd be like "fuck yeah, 1941. give it to me.  hnggg".   

Also, some of the times, that sunk cost shit is a crock of shit.   That concert ticket example is the worst example.   "Oh dang its snowing now I can't go see Iron Maiden."

Shut the fuck up and go see Iron Maiden, pussy.    Leave 3 hours early so you can drive 10mph to get there FFS.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about. I bought a hardtop for the Miata two days ago for a grand. I love it. The car looks tight as HELL so I showed people pictures but never did ask them to convince me that that I hadn't made some kind of mistake. I bought the car over seven years ago. This was also a long term plan and it also took a chunk of change out of me when it was a little tight.

The "everyone can have their own opinion unless I don't like it" crowd can't have it both ways. You can't be all "it's his money, he can do what he wants with it" in a thread that is literally called "Convince me I was right to buy 1941". He *clearly* has his own doubts, I'm just reenforcing them.

There's this thing on video game forums where you're supposed to go "look what I bought" and then everyone is allowed to say "good job!" but not much else. "Dude, that was fucking stupid, take it back." is rarely an exceptable response because these are, basically, "Does this dress make me look fat?" threads and only one response is actually sought.

BTW, Up the Irons.
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/10/2017, 09:31 PMI needed a new bike.  I picked out a blue bike I liked.  I bought said bike.
A bike, even a new top for a car, is hardly like a couple hundred dollar video game. Apples and oranges. If you just bought your first house, you absolutely should doubt, just to make sure you didn't convince yourself along the way that all those faults aren't really faults. And hey, if there are no faults, then doubting just made you more secure in that purchase.

Re: does that cart make me look fat. I don't really care what expensive game soup buys with his money. It's not like he's throwing down $35k on a sealed Stadium Events. That's stupid. But this is trivial (and probably did not need a thread for assuaging doubts), and though I wouldn't have ever bought it, if someone really wanted a game, sometimes all it takes is a "yeah, it's $200, but so what?" I had a couple doubts when I put down for Rondo, but I absolutely love the game, so no regrets. On the other hand, I could really use that money to go toward X or Y around the house or bills or whatnot.

Rambling aside, it just seems kind of pointless to raise objections about this. There really is only one right answer ("It's your money, do what you want"), but you can follow it up with personal opinions, personal anecdotes, etc. without trying to shut a guy down.

* MrBroadway shrugs

All that, of course, is without even saying that I personally wouldn't buy this, but maybe I would buy something soup wouldn't.

CrackTiger

I don't look at game related puchases as an investment. I think of the money as gone once it's spent. If I got something I wanted and enjoy it, that doesn't change whether I paid next to nothing, more than I could afford or whether I or others believe that I got a good deal.

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2017, 10:39 PMA bike, even a new top for a car, is hardly like a couple hundred dollar video game. Apples and oranges. If you just bought your first house, you absolutely should doubt, just to make sure you didn't convince yourself along the way that all those faults aren't really faults. And hey, if there are no faults, then doubting just made you more secure in that purchase.
Well, maybe you shouldn't make generalized "everything without doubt is sunk cost fallacy" statements.

Really, a bike or car part is no different than a video game.

I could have got a cheaper bike.  Zeta could have gotten a cheaper car part. 

Soop could have bought an everdrive to play the same game.

The difference is asking for convincing that it was right to buy a game.

I didn't go riding around going HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WAS THIS BIKE A GOOD IDEA.

I rode around going FUCK YEAH, BIKE.

That's the difference.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guestThere really is only one right answer ("It's your money, do what you want"), but you can follow it up with personal opinions, personal anecdotes, etc. without trying to shut a guy down.
Well, for the second part of that, I don't understand how I'm trying to "shut the guy down" any more than you're trying to shut me down. Everyone's allowed their own say unless Mr Broadway feels it's off limits and then it's everyone out of the pool.

As for the first part of that, it there really is only one right answer, then he started a very egotistical and weak thread and fuck him for doing so. I'd prefer to think he gave us the option of replying with an actual reply instead of just a form letter he wrote himself and in fact you're the one who's offended by organic conversation. Soop himself hasn't said anything like this, you're being offended for someone else and I'm not sure they even give a shit.
IMG

blueraven

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/10/2017, 09:50 PMYeah, I don't know what he's talking about. I bought a hardtop for the Miata two days ago for a grand. I love it. The car looks tight as HELL so I showed people pictures but never did ask them to convince me that that I hadn't made some kind of mistake. I bought the car over seven years ago. This was also a long term plan and it also took a chunk of change out of me when it was a little tight.

The "everyone can have their own opinion unless I don't like it" crowd can't have it both ways. You can't be all "it's his money, he can do what he wants with it" in a thread that is literally called "Convince me I was right to buy 1941". He *clearly* has his own doubts, I'm just reenforcing them.

There's this thing on video game forums where you're supposed to go "look what I bought" and then everyone is allowed to say "good job!" but not much else. "Dude, that was fucking stupid, take it back." is rarely an exceptable response because these are, basically, "Does this dress make me look fat?" threads and only one response is actually sought.

BTW, Up the Irons.
Ohh thats right you drive a Miata. So does 780racer. I think.. he races it.. in the 780?

I heard you can put a stage 4 turbo on that bitch and destroy almost everything on the road.

Arkhan Asylum

Miatas are for pussies.

DRIVIN ME AN 88 CAMRY WAGON LIKE A REAL BIG DICK MOTHER FUCKER

blueraven

I keep putting parts into a '94 Civic Vtec EX 5-speed coupe. It's basically an SI w/o the spoiler or rear discs.

my neighbors gave me shit when I made the Range Rover lady who hit me repaint my decklid and bumper. I got a kick out of it.

So yeah, what were we talking about again?

Arkhan Asylum

We were talking about how China Warrior is better than Halo 3

BlueBMW

Zeta's comment about a Miata hard top reminds me that at some point I'll need to drop a few grand on a top for my old BMW convertible... They're pretty much to the point where if you find one, you buy it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BlueBMW on 07/11/2017, 01:21 AMZeta's comment about a Miata hard top reminds me that at some point I'll need to drop a few grand on a top for my old BMW convertible... They're pretty much to the point where if you find one, you buy it.
You know, if you sell all those shitty BMWs, you wouldn't have to drop a few grand on anything.

blueraven

Ark, that BMW he has is tight. (BTW welcome back BlueBMW, long time :D)

My civic is also borderline shitty, but $500 from a surfer girl? Too fast, too furious.

MNKyDeth

1941's price must have skyrocketed in the past year or two. Pretty sure I bought the one I had for $250 two summers ago. Then sold it last summer for double the price.

Checking current prices it has nearly quadrupled in the past two years.

Not sure why that it has.....  But..  It was an OK game in my book. Nothing great but not complete shit either. The only sgfx game I currently own from my full set I once had is daimakamura. <- spelling
To me that is the best game on the sgfx but I have a couple of TEDs so I can play any of them when I want.

Anyways,  .... It's hard to justify any high price for any game imo. It just depends how bad you want said game. And then what you are willing to spend on it. If it's worth $1k to you then dive on in. If not,  there is always a TED.

Arkhan Asylum

1941 isn't worth 50$ let alone more than that.

It only seems good because what the fuck do you compare it to?  Battle Ace?

I think I'd play Battle Ace over 1941 actually, because if I want a vertical shooter I'd just play something better.

soop

Actually, I figure I know what it is; a few years ago I was really poor for a good while.  Ever since then I've just been a lot more cautious with money.  Don't make extravagant purchases etc.  I do feel the need to have a decent amount  to fall back on if the shit ever hits the fan again, but I think that pulling the trigger now was sensible given the fact that it was probably the best deal I'm going to see for a while, and I'm not gonna miss the money.  Hell, I think I made double that for the few hours overtime I did last week, so I just need to chill.

Thanks for all your points of view, it's appreciated.

NecroPhile

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 07/11/2017, 02:17 AM1941's price must have skyrocketed in the past year or two. Pretty sure I bought the one I had for $250 two summers ago. Then sold it last summer for double the price.

Checking current prices it has nearly quadrupled in the past two years.

Not sure why that it has.....  But..  It was an OK game in my book. Nothing great but not complete shit either. The only sgfx game I currently own from my full set I once had is daimakamura. <- spelling
To me that is the best game on the sgfx but I have a couple of TEDs so I can play any of them when I want.

Anyways,  .... It's hard to justify any high price for any game imo. It just depends how bad you want said game. And then what you are willing to spend on it. If it's worth $1k to you then dive on in. If not,  there is always a TED.
I think it was only worth ~$250 to soop.  :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

You could have gotten an Everdrive and a second supergrafx for less, lol.

CrackTiger

Can't play the Axelay demo without a flashcard.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nopepper

Since this thread is kinda silly, I don't feel bad derailing it and going off on a tangent.

I've always been intrigued by the SGX, particularly to try out Aldynes and 1941 (and Ghouls and Ghosts to a lesser extent). I used to be put off by the cost of entry, but nowadays, particularly with flash carts available, my main concern is lack of space available in my setup (although I can make space...).

So the question to the experts here is: where do you rank the SGX games in comparison to the PCE and CD shooters? Are they in the top tier league, right up there with Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Nexzr, Soldier Blade, Super Star Soldier and Spriggan (or insert your favorite here)?

Arkhan Asylum

All of the SGX games are mediocre.   PCE games outshine them.

Granzort is the only game worth playing as it's a sequel.

and Daimakaimura, if you like Daimakaimura, because it's basically arcade perfect.

Battle Ace is kind of neat til you realize all of the hardware involved produced a worse Afterburner.

Aldynes has cool music and 900 layers of parallax in one of the levels, but it's nothing spectacular. 

It's all pretty whatever.

Granzort is what you wanna do.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/11/2017, 02:26 PMand Daimakaimura, if you like Daimakaimura, because it's basically arcade perfect.
If all you're looking for is arcade perfect ports, might as well just grab the Capcom Generation/Capcom Classics compilation discs.

NecroPhile

Psycho Punch

Everyone needs to have at least one SGX console, you never know when a beta of Strider can surface... :P
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

or an arcade with all the games, pussies.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/11/2017, 04:17 PMEveryone needs to have at least one SGX console, you never know when a beta of Strider can surface... :P
why in the dicks would you need >1 SGX.

1 is already too many.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/11/2017, 04:26 PMwhy in the dicks would you need >1 SGX.

1 is already too many.
So you never have to fiddle with the compatibility switch!

I'm lazy, so sue me.  That's why I also want three LAs, because changing pacs is sooo much work.  :lol:

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/11/2017, 04:26 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 07/11/2017, 04:17 PMEveryone needs to have at least one SGX console, you never know when a beta of Strider can surface... :P
why in the dicks would you need >1 SGX.

1 is already too many.
You could take some rad pictures with them to brag on facebook PCE groups at least.  :lol:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp