RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Why a "Run" button?

Started by HuMan, 10/21/2017, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbert

While "run" has its frequent usage in English (like "run a business", as the numerous examples you provided) I think it's less common for a Japanese/Asian consumer to come across it in non-computer terms though, back in the late 80's, where home computers were not as common. For them(me) the word was more associated with er... "traveling on your feet but not walking" or starting a computer programme. I think it's actually not related with it being Engrish or not, but whether the original target consumers were familiar with it or not.

CZroe

I dunno. Seems that they have a handle on the meaning better than many English-speakers if any of us are confused about their usage. ;) Their use makes perfect sense, even in English. "Run" also means "Operate," "Go," and "Execute." It has for decades before electronic computers existed and that's why the meaning already existed for use in computer terminology. We didn't invent the meaning along with computer programming.

Is your refrigerator running? No? I guess it's operating then. ;)

The same button became a play button on PlayStation, even if that's not what the label says. "Start," "Play," and "Run" are just different words that all mean the same thing in that context. Run means to operate, advance, activate, execute, start, extend, etc.

When I "run a bath," it means I start preparations to bathe by running water to fill the tub. It's the same meaning of the word as the PCE/TG16 controller intends. We were expected to understand it the same way.

NecroPhile

Y'all know how they loved trains, right?  Maybe it's from choo-choos  -  trains run on time; they run on tracks, usually consisting of two running rails; specific routes are known as runs; etc.

<< insert joke about running a train on Princess Misa here >>
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

johnnykonami

LOAD "*",8,1
SEARCHING FOR *
READY.
RUN

esteban

You can't RUN away from BLODIA (or maybe you can?):

IMG

'nuff said...

...although, I was intrigued by the visual language of an "NEC PCE OS" that graced a few advertisements back in the day:

https://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1993_02.htm

IMG

IMG

There are Easter Eggs on that web page, too...

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CZroe

Quote from: johnnykonami on 12/28/2017, 06:23 PMLOAD "*",8,1
SEARCHING FOR *
READY.
RUN
I just tried that on my C64. Looks like my disk drive is out of alignment again. :(

Winniez

Didn't bother to read the whole thread, and I'm sure its already been mentioned but it has to be a reference to computers as the name PC-Engine was. At the time NES was aging and games on various computers were seen as way more advanced, I'm sure NEC as a computer manufacturer wanted to bring that point home.

ds1724

I remember when I was a kid, before I had a TG-16, I thought it was cool that the controller actually had a button to make the character run!!
I remember everyone being intrigued by the Turbo but nobody had one.  I eventually did though in maybe 8th grade.

CZroe

Super Nt menu has the option to "Run Cartridge."

PukeSter

Run button lets you run away from the genesis.

SignOfZeta

WTF, this is still being debated?

Everyone who ever used a computer in the 80s knew the term RUN, including Japanese since  BASIC only exists in English. NEC is a computer company...end of fucking story, sheesh.
IMG

Groover

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/20/2018, 01:21 AMWTF, this is still being debated?

Everyone who ever used a computer in the 80s knew the term RUN, including Japanese since  BASIC only exists in English. NEC is a computer company...end of fucking story, sheesh.
Agreed. Also the system is called a PC Enigne. Run is a PC ommand. Not a huge leap. Start button was still a relatively new thing.
IMG

Psycho Punch

Let's remind ourselves that "Start" and "Select" has as little meaning as "Run". "Start" still starts games but it's more of a "Pause" button more than anything nowadays... "Select" however already lost all meaning since you're not selecting difficulty or game modes as in SMB or Contra which had you pushing select to choose 1P/2P, nor anything for that matter, there's no selection menu in which you use that button to toggle options.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

It's a Shift key for Run, turning it into Re-Run.
IMG