Why a "Run" button?

Started by HuMan, 10/21/2017, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuMan

Not so much the button itself, having a dedicated pause and menu button is always good *looks shamefully at the Sega Master System*, but why a word like "Run"? Is it a weird translation? Just an English word that sounded good to the guys at Hudson Soft? Or did NEC use it because home computer people "Run" programs?

IMG

Michirin9801

Quote from: HuMan on 10/21/2017, 01:33 PMOr did NEC use it because home computer people "Run" programs?
That would be my guess... But I'll let the experts here at the forum tell me otherwise if that's not the case...

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 10/21/2017, 02:08 PM
Quote from: HuMan on 10/21/2017, 01:33 PMOr did NEC use it because home computer people "Run" programs?
That would be my guess... But I'll let the experts here at the forum tell me otherwise if that's not the case...
This would be my guess as well. Just like at work when people ask did you run the script, did the noon run of job x complete successfully, is application x running.

SignOfZeta

It runs the program. I don't know what's confusing. It isn't a translation of anything because "run" in the computer terminology sense doesn't get translated for the Japanese. It's just run, or rather RUN, maybe.

If you're asking why NEC didn't copy every single name feature and button from the Famicom pad I'd guess either they had their own take or maybe they just didn't want to look lame to a very important partner. The "start button" only existed on one other controller before, right? Sega didn't have one until MD, Sony was making stereos back then, MS was just really getting into Windows, no Neo yet, etc.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I remember as a kid, somebody telling me they made it Run, & the I & II buttons so they didn't get sued by Nintendo.  Otherwise it'd be too close to the NES pad.  By that logic, I guess the MD pad was different enough with having A B & C buttons, & no select button.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Because PCE was too fast for a walk button.

really though, because PC + run stuff = thats how it works.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Psycho Punch

Wish they named it CARRIAGE RETURN
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2017, 06:21 AMBecause PCE was too fast for a walk button.
I cast my vote for this theory.

Also nice work on facebook lately Ark.  :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Gypsy on 10/22/2017, 09:28 AMAlso nice work on facebook lately Ark.  :lol:
People summoned me back to deal with idiots so I'm over here like
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arkhan Asylum

Arkhan Asylum

lol and I guess  like this too

SignOfZeta

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/22/2017, 04:01 AMI remember as a kid, somebody telling me they made it Run, & the I & II buttons so they didn't get sued by Nintendo.  Otherwise it'd be too close to the NES pad.  By that logic, I guess the MD pad was different enough with having A B & C buttons, & no select button.
Its hard to imagine that working. In the US, sure, but in 1987 in Japan, maybe, unlikely.

Keeping in mind that Hudson was a hit Famicom dev and made FC controllers as well that looked exactly like FC/NEC pads it seems more likely to me that they genuinely thought it was a good design so they just stuck with the layout they had already developed for and made controllers for.

Hudson remained a Nintendo dev long after NEC got out of the business.
IMG

turboswimbz

I'm I the only one who thinks ark kinda looka like Rambo.  :D :dance: :lol:

We thank you for service Ark .  =D>

Keep up the good fight against the collect-a-ass-hats  8)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NoSexGex

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/22/2017, 01:14 PMPeople summoned me back to deal with idiots so I'm over here like
Fuck that was funny, i messaged him after for lolzs. His views are so warped and twisted; he complains about people being mean to him, but tells people to kill themselves if they disagree with him
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Arkhan Asylum

yeah, its kind of pathetic that most people on FB are too wussy to just call these people out and tell them to go get cornholed by a cactus

NecroPhile

Why not a Run button?  It's not like 'start' was an industry standard, nor were buttons 'a' and 'b' something automatically expected and better than 'I' and 'II'.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

I think we can put this in the same circular file as "why is the save system so "bad"?" (because it was the first ever, it was 1987).
IMG

NightWolve

spenoza

Why did Nintendo choose Start for their button. And why does that button pause the game? And why can many NES games be begun with a button other than Start? The problems with Run all begin with Start.

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2017, 10:11 AMWhy not a Run button?  It's not like 'start' was an industry standard, nor were buttons 'a' and 'b' something automatically expected and better than 'I' and 'II'.
Why the reverse placement of II/I and B/A buttons? Shouldn't they be in numerical or alphabetical order?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

CrackTiger

Quote from: hoobs88 on 10/23/2017, 04:04 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/23/2017, 10:11 AMWhy not a Run button?  It's not like 'start' was an industry standard, nor were buttons 'a' and 'b' something automatically expected and better than 'I' and 'II'.
Why the reverse placement of II/I and B/A buttons? Shouldn't they be in numerical or alphabetical order?
Japanese read right to left.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/23/2017, 04:19 PM
Quote from: hoobs88 on 10/23/2017, 04:04 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/23/2017, 10:11 AMWhy not a Run button?  It's not like 'start' was an industry standard, nor were buttons 'a' and 'b' something automatically expected and better than 'I' and 'II'.
Japanese read right to left.
Oh my God it all makes sense now, how didn't I think of that after all these years?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

NecroPhile

Do they really read stuff from right to left?  Manuals and in game text are always left to right.  :-k

I'm not sure it matters what way they go, as they're just identification labels and not something to be read, but maybe they did it backward with plans of the Ave 3, wanting the extra button nearer the center of the pad for some reason.  Another question is why do buttons IV, V, and VI turn around and go the other way? 

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2017, 06:14 PM.......  Another question is why do buttons IV, V, and VI turn around and go the other way? 
I always assumed that the buttons were based on the layout of the button in relation to the board.  button 1 was the first button closest and so on.  but that is also arbitrary I guess . . .

IT could also simply be that Nintendo was labeled B then A.  so II then I.  different than Nintendo but the same.  I mean you can swap out the NES pad in a mod.  IT could also simply be that they wanted the action button in most cases to be labeled Earlier than the cancel button?
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

HuMan

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2017, 06:14 PMDo they really read stuff from right to left?  Manuals and in game text are always left to right.  :-k

Maybe not so much Japanese text, which can often be read vertically, but they do read books and mangas from right to left. Manuals for Turbo Grafx games read left to right because they're meant for Americans.

turboswimbz

Quote from: HuMan on 10/23/2017, 07:51 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/23/2017, 06:14 PMDo they really read stuff from right to left?  Manuals and in game text are always left to right.  :-k

Maybe not so much Japanese text, which can often be read vertically, but they do read books and mangas from right to left. Manuals for Turbo Grafx games read left to right because they're meant for Americans.
Yes, I have seen many books in Japanese that are right to left or vertical. I doubt those written in Japanese characters on the PC engine games are meant for English readers.  :-k  I am pretty sure I have seen more than one PC engine manual written left to right and not vertical or right to left.  I would venture that these are written in the Yokogaki style, is simply because it looks better on screens and was easier to program on early computers and consoles, and then copied over to the manuals where it also might look better/be consistent.  But I don't know enough to really say that confidently.   

I wonder how many game manuals break the left to right style and are more traditional?  Anyone have any ideas?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: HuMan on 10/23/2017, 07:51 PMMaybe not so much Japanese text, which can often be read vertically, but they do read books and mangas from right to left. Manuals for Turbo Grafx games read left to right because they're meant for Americans.
Japanese PCE manuals read left to right too.

I don't think the reading orientation is why the buttons are like that.

The Megadrive's ABC go left to right.

gilbert

My understanding (i.e. random guess) is that since the outer button is more accessible to your finger, it makes sense to make that button the "main" button and the other button the errr... "other" button. This can be most apparent during decision making, that you "confirm" with the outer button and "cancel" with the inner one. So it seems natural to name the outer (main) button A/I, and the inner button B/II. It would be a bit awkward to press B to confirm and A to cancel right? (I think such games do exist though.)

However, in "western" sense it is also reasonable to have the confirm button on the left and the cancel button on the right (as seen in options of questionnaires, etc.). The problem is, when you press the buttons on a game controller it doesn't feel so well in this way.

Sparky

Quote from: Arkhan on 10/22/2017, 01:14 PM
Quote from: Gypsy on 10/22/2017, 09:28 AMAlso nice work on facebook lately Ark.  :lol:
People summoned me back to deal with idiots so I'm over here like
I love when you oil up Ark!!! ((Bites lip))

NecroPhile

Quote from: gilbert on 10/24/2017, 02:40 AMMy understanding (i.e. random guess) is that since the outer button is more accessible to your finger, it makes sense to make that button the "main" button and the other button the errr... "other" button. This can be most apparent during decision making, that you "confirm" with the outer button and "cancel" with the inner one. So it seems natural to name the outer (main) button A/I, and the inner button B/II.
But in shewties and action games, it's usually the other way around.  Button II is used the most for attacking and button I is only for changing weapons, dropping bombs, jumping, etc.

Arkhan Asylum

spenoza

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/23/2017, 04:19 PMJapanese read right to left.
Japanese read right to left AND left to right, depending on context. Books are read with the pages going right to left, and manga additionally with a right to left flow, but most lines of text are read left to right if horizontal. The are read top to bottom, and then the columns read right to left if vertical.

Keith Courage

because a "walk" button doesn't sound edgy enough.

spenoza

I need to read more carefully. I almost read that as 'a "wank" button'.

NightWolve

Quote from: Keith Courage on 10/24/2017, 04:32 PMbecause a "walk" button doesn't sound edgy enough.
Now now, don't ruin his joke with sloppy seconds...

xcrement5x

Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Michirin9801

Keith Courage

Nice!

Bernie

Quote from: HuMan on 10/21/2017, 01:33 PMNot so much the button itself, having a dedicated pause and menu button is always good *looks shamefully at the Sega Master System*, but why a word like "Run"? Is it a weird translation? Just an English word that sounded good to the guys at Hudson Soft? Or did NEC use it because home computer people "Run" programs?

IMG
Because this is Turbo, so a WALK button would not be sufficient.  :)

Yeah, I am late to the game...as usual....   :lol:

ClodBusted

Sounds convincing enough to me.

spenoza

Quote from: Bernie on 11/16/2017, 08:04 AM
Quote from: HuMan on 10/21/2017, 01:33 PMNot so much the button itself, having a dedicated pause and menu button is always good *looks shamefully at the Sega Master System*, but why a word like "Run"? Is it a weird translation? Just an English word that sounded good to the guys at Hudson Soft? Or did NEC use it because home computer people "Run" programs?

IMG
Because this is Turbo, so a WALK button would not be sufficient.  :)

Yeah, I am late to the game...as usual....   :lol:
That is a great dad joke, but someone already made it. Alas!

gilbert

Quote from: Bernie on 11/16/2017, 08:04 AMBecause this is Turbo, so a WALK button would not be sufficient.  :)
In that case, what didn't they call it boost?

...Wait... They did release a series of booster add-ons for the system. Mystery solved!

spenoza

I want my controller to have a "Go" button.

NecroPhile

The LA version has a SUB button, but the select button is sadly not a DOM button.

Gredler

esteban

Actually, it's the "RUN" button, you fucking heathens.

Get with the program.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CZroe

They wanted something that means the same thing as "Start" but didn't want to anger Nintendo by copying too much. A & B became I & II, Start became Run, the trademark D-pad became a floating disc, etc. This seemed pretty obvious to me at the time (yes, I'm old).

gilbert

Of course that's the main reason, but I think the concern in this thread is that why is it RUN, not BEGIN, GO, PLAY or other similar words that consumers (at that time) would more likely understand. The use of I and II (or 1 and 2) is obvious and logical, but not RUN, apparently. It is quite possible that as NEC itself was a major computer manufacturer (not to mention that Hudson itself wrote implementations of BASIC on various 8-bit computers, that included Family Basic on the Famicom; too bad its sorta equivalent on the PCE, the Tsushin Booster, got canned), so they're in the mindset of "running" or "executing" programmes, and indeed it was a time where BASIC was a prominent programming language on home computers, so there were at least people who were familiar with "RUNning" their BASIC programmes.

Anyway, this (alongside the not-so-fortunate truth of having only one controller port) became one of the most well-known characteristics on the system.

CZroe

Quote from: gilbert on 12/28/2017, 12:33 AMOf course that's the main reason, but I think the concern in this thread is that why is it RUN, not BEGIN, GO, PLAY or other similar words that consumers (at that time) would more likely understand. The use of I and II (or 1 and 2) is obvious and logical, but not RUN, apparently. It is quite possible that as NEC itself was a major computer manufacturer (not to mention that Hudson itself wrote implementations of BASIC on various 8-bit computers, that included Family Basic on the Famicom; too bad its sorta equivalent on the PCE, the Tsushin Booster, got canned), so they're in the mindset of "running" or "executing" programmes, and indeed it was a time where BASIC was a prominent programming language on home computers, so there were at least people who were familiar with "RUNning" their BASIC programmes.

Anyway, this (alongside the not-so-fortunate truth of having only one controller port) became one of the most well-known characteristics on the system.
"Run" *is* a similar word that consumers understood at the time. In that context it seems a little Engrish but no more so than "Enter/Return," or "Escape" on a PC keyboard.

When I "run" my car I kinda have to "Start" it first, right? ;)
When I "run" to the store I kinda have to "Start" my trip, right? ;)
When I "run" a story in a newspaper, I kinda have to "Start" publishing it, right? ;)
Wen I "run" a campaign, I kinda have to start the campaign, right?
When I "run" a game, I kinda have to "Start" the game. Same thing. "Start" is understood to be "Start and Run." "Run" is also understood to be "Start and Run."

If anything, "Select" is more Engrish than "Run," since it changes your selection rather than making/confirming your selection. IOW, Select does not "Select" your selection. Run, on the other hand, does "Run" your selection.