Newcomer to the world of NEC, Experienced Japanese game importer.

Started by Digmac, 10/31/2017, 03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digmac

What's up PCEngineFX guys? Good to see a great resource for PC-FX fans.

A little bit about myself. I've been collecting Japanese imports and development hardware for the past 4 years. All in all, I've owned 36 different platforms, and hundreds of game consoles. I also repair game consoles on the side, so that's helped me get junk lots and deals for cheap. Recently, I've downsized the collection, and made it more streamlined.

My latest pickup, is the wonderful PC-FX console, CIB. At first I never thought I would have enjoyed such a system, but I've really liked my latest purchase. NEC had a gem, and never used it the way it should have. I'm looking forward to getting to know the hardware better, and many more hours of gameplay from the system.

I used to own a PCE Core Grafx, but sold it on due to wanting a Duo R or RX unit. Some day... Haha

Hope all is good, and keep on gaming with that NEC love!

- Digmac

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!

I'm happy to hear you're digging the PC-FX, as far too many peeps get 'em and are almost immediately disappointed.  If you've not already, make sure you check out the wonder translation patches for Zeroigar and Pia Carrot.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digmac

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 03:14 PMWelcome aboard!

I'm happy to hear you're digging the PC-FX, as far too many peeps get 'em and are almost immediately disappointed.  If you've not already, make sure you check out the wonder translation patches for Zeroigar and Pia Carrot.
Thanks! I've heard that a lot as well, which bums me out. I don't think us western gamers really have the correct background to judge the system fully, as this is one of the most Japanese consoles that's ever been released in my opinion.

I actually beat the English patched Zeroigar 100% a couple days ago, and absolutely loved the game. It really showed how well the PC-FX could add a nicely presented FMV story to anything, and pull it off well.

Sarumaru

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/31/2017, 08:36 PMReady your ass-best-us suit, this place can be harsh.
Welcome. Obey the NEC.  Ready Set Go...
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Digmac on 10/31/2017, 03:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 03:14 PMWelcome aboard!

Thanks! I've heard that a lot as well, which bums me out. I don't think us western gamers really have the correct background to judge the system fully, as this is one of the most Japanese consoles that's ever been released in my opinion.

I actually beat the English patched Zeroigar 100% a couple days ago, and absolutely loved the game. It really showed how well the PC-FX could add a nicely presented FMV story to anything, and pull it off well.
I'll make a long story short: the FX is not misunderstood. The problem isn't the message. It just sucked. They did a terrible job making the thing. Also, no games. You'll be so much happier with the machine if you just accept that now and enjoy what it is.

The PC Engine absolutely rules.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Japanese people judged the system at the time with their wallets.   If it was good, it wouldn't have <70 games with 4 action games basically.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 11:45 PMJapanese people judged the system at the time with their wallets.   If it was good, it wouldn't have <70 games with 4 action games basically.
This is very much the case. The PC engine was still selling strong at the time. And in contrast, even with the failure of the PC-FX, the PC Engine managed to stick around for 13 years long outliving it's successor. But, I still find the PC-FX fascinating. I think it has a certain attractive charm.

Arkhan Asylum

It's actually really awesome hardware itself, and the design of the machine + controller ports and stuff is all pretty nice as well.  The problem being that the lack of 3D stuff basically fucked it over because it turns out FMV was not the future everyone expected.

I like it's appearance much more than the Saturn or Playstation.

It's sad that the last chiptuney machine ever (?) basically faceplanted. 

Digmac

It's different, that's why I enjoy it. To be honest with everyone, I've gotten more use from my PC-FX than I did my CoreGrafx. It might have sucked hard in it's home country, but it's got an appeal to me. Do I think the PC Engine as a platform was better? Of course it was, I know that. Do I feel the PC-FX gets slightly misrepresented here as the hentai only console? Yes, I do. It is what it is.

Sorry if some here are butthurt that I'm enjoying my PC-FX more than the CoreGrafx. That being said, I enjoyed my five Saturn consoles more than my three Mega Drives. That should tell you what generation of consoles I lean towards.

Good to be here, and glad to find a community who stands up and tells the truth about their own consoles though.

EDIT: Let's at least count our blessings... It's not a Playdia or a Loopy...

Arkhan Asylum

I swear I posted a reply.  Maybe I hit refresh before it posted.

Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

I do enjoy the PCFX, and have almost every game for it, but it's definitely stupid.   It didn't get enough of anything except digital comics basically.

Ruruli Ra Rura looks like shareware, and plays like it.

It needed some more action games.  Even simple shit like Afterburner would have been great.

If you're not in the mood for basically clicking and reading, the PCFX is boring, lol

Digmac

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2017, 02:52 PMI swear I posted a reply.  Maybe I hit refresh before it posted.

Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

I do enjoy the PCFX, and have almost every game for it, but it's definitely stupid.   It didn't get enough of anything except digital comics basically.

Ruruli Ra Rura looks like shareware, and plays like it.

It needed some more action games.  Even simple shit like Afterburner would have been great.

If you're not in the mood for basically clicking and reading, the PCFX is boring, lol
It's the perfect system for insomnia sufferers. Guaranteed to work, or your money back.  =D&gt;

Personally, I've 100% cleared Zeroigar, trying to get better at Chip Chan, and am an hour into Team Innocent. I also find Queen of Queens amusing enough, and infuriating enough to keep trying. With my latest order I'll be up to 6 physical games, and my handful of burnt discs. Hardest game to find that I own so far is Nirgends, with the spine card and registration card in tact.

It's the worst halfway decent system I've played, if that makes sense. I'll still enjoy it though.  :)  I think the worst part of it was how NEC and Hudson handled it. It's not the worst hardware in the world.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, I like Queen of Queens.

You're highlighting the real problem though.

After playing Zeroigar and CC, you have played 50% of the action titles.   Just bust out Zenki and Ruruli Ra Rura and you're done.

Nirgends is loosely action sometimes.

Team Innocent is a great game, at least.

I think that's one of the best games on the system in terms of using the PCFX as intended. 

Digmac

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2017, 03:13 PMYou're highlighting the real problem though.

After playing Zeroigar and CC, you have played 50% of the action titles.   Just bust out Zenki and Ruruli Ra Rura and you're done.
Yeah, you're right. I can't argue with the lack of games. I knew that going into it, so I wasn't let down in any way by this purchase. I'm honestly into it more than I wanted to be, so I can see myself hanging onto it for the long run lol.  #-o

When you've owned 35 platforms before this, there ain't much left in the scene to play.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Digmac on 11/01/2017, 02:07 PMIt's different, that's why I enjoy it. To be honest with everyone, I've gotten more use from my PC-FX than I did my Core Grafx. It might have sucked hard in it's home country, but it's got an appeal to me. Do I think the PC Engine as a platform was better? Of course it was, I know that. Do I feel the PC-FX gets slightly misrepresented here as the hentai only console? Yes, I do. It is what it is.

Sorry if some here are butthurt that I'm enjoying my PC-FX more than the Core Grafx. That being said, I enjoyed my five Saturn consoles more than my three Mega Drives. That should tell you what generation of consoles I lean towards.

Good to be here, and glad to find a community who stands up and tells the truth about their own consoles though.

"Butt hurt" by your enjoyment. Stop imagining that anyone who disagrees with your (in this case, rather uninformed) opinion is a hater that is bothered by you not being miserable. We do not feel anally raped because you are happy. That's the apex of some straw man bullshit right here, not to mention narcicism. We had our opinion of the FX literally decades before you owned one. We didn't love the thing and then start hating it the second you got here just because we want you to be unhappy. Please choose your words more carefully.

(I knew this guy was an asshole from his very first post. I held back, I don't know why. I guess I'm afraid to jump the gun or something...I hope he's not 12, that would make me sad. Oh shit, now he's talking about rarity and obi and he owns four games. Why do they move on us in such numbers, why oh why?)

Listen, fuckhead, the first game you played was a $500 unicorn fan translated. Something that wasn't even released. Let us know how you feel about the FX after you've owned it for longer than an XBox Live billing cycle.

It's not that it's a hentai only machine, it's that it's a Japanese CDi...which still makes it better than an actual CDi but still probably the worst mainstream game machine of all time just because it has no titles worth playing. Ok, it has four games that would qualify as C-grade PlayStation games (and in some cases, became C grade Playstaion games). You better learn to enjoy looking at its beautiful industrial design more than your TV or you better learn to like shitty FMV things that are barely games at all. You're not going to find: a race car game, a Street Fighter II clone, a platformer, you know, games. Think of everything that's great about the PCE, Neo, MD, and SNES and the only thing it got any decent representation of is mid-tier RPGs, which is probably its strongest suit, and that's not saying much. It does these well because that's pretty much what was going on with PCE as they were winding that down, menu driven things.
IMG

NecroPhile

Damn, someone really rustled Zeta's jimmies.  :lol:

No butthurt here either.  I don't understand anyone preferring the PC-FX to a PCE*, as it has oodles of great titles similar to those on PC-FX (rpgs, sims, and digi-comics), but I'm genuinely pleased that you're enjoying it so. 

*  -  Having only a core system might be the reason, seeing as many of the most similar titles are discs.

Digmac

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/01/2017, 03:54 PM
Quote from: Digmac on 11/01/2017, 02:07 PMIt's different, that's why I enjoy it. To be honest with everyone, I've gotten more use from my PC-FX than I did my Core Grafx. It might have sucked hard in it's home country, but it's got an appeal to me. Do I think the PC Engine as a platform was better? Of course it was, I know that. Do I feel the PC-FX gets slightly misrepresented here as the hentai only console? Yes, I do. It is what it is.

Sorry if some here are butthurt that I'm enjoying my PC-FX more than the Core Grafx. That being said, I enjoyed my five Saturn consoles more than my three Mega Drives. That should tell you what generation of consoles I lean towards.

"Butt hurt" by your enjoyment. Stop imagining that anyone who disagrees with your (in this case, rather uninformed) opinion as a hater that is bothered by you not being miserable. We do not feel anally raped because you are happy. That's the apex of some straw man bullshit right here, not to mention narcicism. We had our opinion of the FX literally decades before you owned one. We didn't love the thing and then start hating it the second you got here just because we want you to be unhappy. Please choose your words more carefully.

(I knew this guy was an asshole from his very first post. I held back, I don't know why. I guess I'm afraid to jump the gun or something...I hope he's not 12, that would make me sad. Oh shit, now he's talking about rarity and obi and he owns four games. Why do they move on us in such numbers, why oh why?)

Listen, fuckhead, the first game you played was a $500 unicorn fan translated. Something that wasn't even released. Let us know how you feel about the FX after you've owned it for longer than an XBox Live billing cycle.

It's not that it's a hentai only machine, it's that it's a Japanese CDi...which still makes it better than an actual CDi but still probably the worst mainstream game machine of all time just because it has no titles worth playing. Ok, it has four games that would qualify as C-grade PlayStation games (and in some cases, became C grade Playstaion games). You better learn to enjoy looking at its beautiful industrial design more than your TV or you better learn to like shitty FMV things that are barely games at all. You're not going to find: a race car game, a Street Fighter II clone, a platformer, you know, games. Think of everything that's great about the PCE, Neo, MD, and SNES and the only thing it got any decent representation of is mid-tier RPGs, which is probably its strongest suit, and that's not saying much. It does these well because that's pretty much what was going on with PCE as they were winding that down, menu driven things.
You act like you know who I am as a human and can fully judge my character after this short time. Don't assume things. Take the ume out of assume and what do you get. If the whole forum is like this, I'll delete my account. Didn't come here for this, or for you, sweetheart.

IMG

SignOfZeta

IMG

NecroPhile

Don't sweat it.  Zeta's just a grumpy gus.

If you really want to get him riled, tell him to get down off his high horse.  :twisted:

GohanX

I just got a PC-FX a couple months back myself, for the silly price Rover gave me I'm enjoying the small handful of good gaijin friendly games it has.

Welcome Digmac, and enjoy yourself. Not everyone on here is an asshole. I mean, I certainly am, but others are not.

Digmac

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2017, 04:09 PMDon't sweat it.  Zeta's just a grumpy gus.

If you really want to get him riled, tell him to get down off his high horse.  :twisted:
He's not the worst I've dealt with on forums, so I'm conditioned a bit lol. And yeah, I don't know it all, and that's why I joined. Just satisfied and proud of my new addition to the collection.

If Zeta really wants to prove himself... Queen Of Queens battle, 30 min match, winner take all.  :dance:

Quote from: GohanX on 11/01/2017, 04:10 PMWelcome Digmac, and enjoy yourself. Not everyone on here is an asshole. I mean, I certainly am, but others are not.
Good to know there's not just one old troll watching out for us new members. Thanks for the welcome.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, I'm not the worst. But then you've only known me for one day longer than you've owned your FX so, again, you're speaking from false expertise.
IMG

Digmac

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/01/2017, 05:06 PMYeah, I'm not the worst. But then you've only known me for one day longer than you've owned your FX so, again, you're speaking from false expertise.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one here who does that.  :twisted:

Arkhan Asylum

NecroPhile

And he deleted his account.  Too bad, but I guess the internet isn't for him.

SignOfZeta

I hope he keeps ol # 36. Nobody will love it like he does.
IMG

crazydean

Well that was a fun read. It's too bad he caved so quickly. That's what happens when you take others' opinions seriously.

SignOfZeta

He was a collectard. He would have split eventually. I lit both ends of his wick, but he was still a two wicker to begin with. He also sucked at conflict really bad so how long could he have possibly lasted?

I don't feel *great* about it.
IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/01/2017, 02:52 PMIm not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.
Hahaha!!! That's sig worthy material right there my friend! I would add it if I had room to squeeze it in down there. ;)

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2017, 02:52 PMIm not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.
It's a great quote. I'll keep it alive.

SignOfZeta

It sounds like Shakespeare,

"Treason! treason! KING. O, yet defend me, friends! I am but hurt."  -Hamlet Scene Act II

Or a Millie Mayfield's The Maniac Song

Mad! Mad!
They call me mad, when I am but glad,
As I shout his ever blessed name
To the lightning's telegraphic flame,
I am glad! glad!
IMG

Bloufo

After one argument? Guess he wasn't as well "conditioned" as he thought.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

WE ARE THE WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

WE ARE THE CHILDRENSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

WE ARE THE ONES WHO MAKE USERS QUITTTTTTTTTTT

SO LETS START GIVIN.

SignOfZeta

His "experienced Japanese importer" thing, in addition to sounding like human trafficking, I think is based on four years at it. So...since the release of the XBone. The boomiest of the boom years are his only reference so he has no idea why someone would despise collectards. He, like many people, think video games and collectarding are the same thing. He's from circumstances. Lots of noobs here are like that and it's hard to blame them. Most forums have gone full collectard and HGTV and the Learning Channel have made shameless flipping an American virtue.

Also kinda shitty at forums but the background can't be ignored.

Also, he's a "joiner", likes to claim his place in things. Probably respects father/authority figures like cops and dads. "I'm a xxx" is a dead giveaway.

If it was like "Hi, I got a PC FX, this is what I've seen so far." but it came in with this expertise that drove me nuts for some reason...that reason being I've met too many people like him.

Like when someone introduces themselves as an audiophile. Like, when they actually say "I'm an audiophile." I know guys with $30k systems that don't say that, you have to be an audiophile and an joiner both to be an Audiophile, knowwhatimsaying?
IMG

ToyMachine78

Hell, these days all it takes to be an experienced Japanese Importer is shopping Amazon.

SignOfZeta

I've been using exclusively Japanese-made mechanical pencils since the 70s.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/02/2017, 04:41 PMI've been using exclusively Japanese-made mechanical pencils since the 70s.
you probably vape.

SignOfZeta

Mechanical pencils are pretty much only made in Japan. Vape pens are mostly from Chinese areas.
IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/02/2017, 02:07 AMIt sounds like Shakespeare,

"ALL: Treason! Treason!" "KING: O, yet defend me, friends! I am but hurt."  -Hamlet Scene Act V Scene II
Fixed that act bit.  Also, I mean this is also part of a traditional line
"which he, in brief, obeys,"

I mean all of PCEFX is basically Shakespeare. I guess it's true if you get enough monkeys together and have them bang on keyboards enough you really do get Shakespeare.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

IMG

turboswimbz

Arkhan Asylum

I can't use mechanical pencils.  I press down too hard and the shit snaps off.

I buy those tombow drafting pencils because they don't fuck up on me.

but lately, I've been using those sweet frixion ball pens.  Those are the most majestic fucking writing device ever.

SignOfZeta

I've been drawing again lately and checking out the new shit. These Platinum Preppy pens are fucking crazy. So reliable and cheap, maybe the first practical fountain pen ever. I may ditch the red Precise V5 I've been using for fucking eeeeeeeveerrrrrrrr. In order to work so well they have some kind of weak-ass gel ink though so you can't mistake them for archival grade.

PreppyPens.webp

I really fucking hate ballpoint pens, btw. I need a little bit of scratch. When I write with a Bic it looks like I'm drunk high and six years old and I'm only ever max one of those things.
IMG

SignOfZeta

BTW, if someone doesn't flame the shit out of me for that post I'll be very disappointed. At the same time it was totally earnest, I have all those pens! But I'm not some psycho pen guy who would write a user's guide for a fucking disposable pen let alone a COMPREHENSIVE one. That's just an image I found.
IMG

ClodBusted

You got me intrigued.

On pencils and pens, I wreck them all anyway sooner or later.
During my training years, I had to make architectural drafts on thick, but ever so slightly transparent, drafting paper, using mechanical pencils and rapidograph technical pens. Oh what fun times, when you had to take out razor blades and scratch the ink away to correct errors.

Then, I finally got AutoCAD.

crazydean

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/03/2017, 02:28 AMI've been drawing again lately and checking out the new shit. These Platinum Preppy pens are fucking crazy. So reliable and cheap, maybe the first practical fountain pen ever. I may ditch the red Precise V5 I've been using for fucking eeeeeeeveerrrrrrrr. In order to work so well they have some kind of weak-ass gel ink though so you can't mistake them for archival grade.

PreppyPens.webp

I really fucking hate ballpoint pens, btw. I need a little bit of scratch. When I write with a Bic it looks like I'm drunk high and six years old and I'm only ever max one of those things.
Makes post about drawing. Posts pictures of pens. No artwork. Quality post!

Arkhan Asylum

Frixion ball pens are weird.  Try one.   The tips are pointy and kinda scratchy, but they got a clicker and an eraser.

I like the erasability.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Retractable-Erasable-Assorted-31472/dp/B009QYH644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509726695&sr=8-1&keywords=frixion+ball+pen&dpID=51Xft%252B0dXhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

They have a lot of tip sizes, too.   

In Japan, you can find tons of cool anime pens of them, too, so you can feel like an even bigger badass when you're scribbling complicated shit down with a bright orange Sailor Venus pen.