RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

01.12.07 - Pcenginefx Radio is back!

Started by PCEngineFX, 01/11/2007, 05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

That's right, after a long break Pcenginefx Radio is back and better than ever!  Check it out!
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/main/radio.html
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG

jlued686

So...what do I need to do to get this to work?  I click the link, nothing.  I enter in the address, nothing.  What's the secret?

Also, it works in iTunes?  How?  Sorry, but I'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

NecroPhile

:dance: Woo-Hoo!  I missed having an alternative to turbo2k.net.

@ jlued686 - I use a little app from Jon Galloway called OpenPlsInWMP.  This will launch the .pls link in windows media player.  Visit http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2004/04/08/109672.aspx if you're interested, but I'm sure that there is other ways to listen to PCEngineFX Radio in other media players.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

I haven't checked this out yet, but this is good news!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2007, 10:56 PMSo...what do I need to do to get this to work?  I click the link, nothing.  I enter in the address, nothing.  What's the secret?

Also, it works in iTunes?  How?  Sorry, but I'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff.
The easiest way to get Pcenginefx Radio to work is to install Winamp.  Just install Winamp, then click on the link - should start right up.  If you have Windows Media Player, go to File > Open URL then type in this entire address: http://24.18.146.59:9000 (should be the same in iTunes as well).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Works on a Mac with iTunes for me.  Just go to ADVANCED > OPEN STREAM and paste in the URL and get up and dance (you might not be able to stop dancing... this is normal).

Sound is a tad bit distorted, though.  Might be the tune (Legendary Axe level 6).

EDIT:  Nope, Dungeon Explorer II is sounding distorted as well.  Maybe crank the volume back a little bit?  The distortion is definitely in the source.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/12/2007, 03:34 AMWorks on a Mac with iTunes for me.  Just go to ADVANCED > OPEN STREAM and paste in the URL and get up and dance (you might not be able to stop dancing... this is normal).

Sound is a tad bit distorted, though.  Might be the tune (Legendary Axe level 6).

EDIT:  Nope, Dungeon Explorer II is sounding distorted as well.  Maybe crank the volume back a little bit?  The distortion is definitely in the source.
Yes, the sound quality seems a bit off for me as well, which is a shame because this Legend of Xanadu track I'm listening to kicks ass!

jlued686

Thanks guys!  It works great in iTunes.  But yeah, a little distorted right now.  My favorite soundtrack ever, Bloody Wolf, was the first tune.  Nice!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2007, 10:15 AMThanks guys!  It works great in iTunes.  But yeah, a little distorted right now.  My favorite soundtrack ever, Bloody Wolf, was the first tune.  Nice!
I just listened to that as well -- great stuff :).

PCEngineFX

So when you guys say "distorted" which one of the following best describes the sound?

1. Music sounds "wobbly" or like it is underwater.
2. Music sounds too loud, causing static.

I'm listening to it now in Winamp and it sound fine.  Is this still happening for you guys?
IMG

NecroPhile

It sounds fine to me, but the speakers here at work suck.  I probably couldn't tell the difference if it was distorted. ](*,)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jlued686

Too loud, causing static.  It's not bad, though.  I actually listened to it all day while I worked, so it didn't bother me.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2007, 07:16 PMToo loud, causing static.  It's not bad, though.  I actually listened to it all day while I worked, so it didn't bother me.
Yeah, I hear static / noise, as you would find on a lo-fi recording. Not all of the tracks are equal. Ys III Track 24, for example, sounds really nice... but at the high points it clips (brief static during clipping). Forgotten Worlds track 9: ditto. Valis 2 track 41: the levels are pretty high on this, so it clips more often than FW or Ys III. Last Alert track 22: similar to Valis 2, not as bad.

Certain other tracks, in contrast, are horrible... they sound like a gravelly mess.

UPDATE: If I had to hazard a guess, it seems like any song that sustains high levels for a extended periods (i.e. a loud drum track) sounds "bad" because of the clipping.

PCEngineFX

What players are you using Stevek666 & jlued686?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/12/2007, 11:05 PMWhat players are you using Stevek666 & jlued686? 
I am sad to say: iTunes 6.0.3 Mac OSX 10.3.9
Don't tease me :).

Also, I've been listening for the past few hours whilst I work and I just want to say that pcefx radio, in any form, is better than nothing, so I've been enjoying it.

PCEngineFX

I've lowered the overall volume by a few notches, let me know if you guys see any change in the sound quality.
IMG

akamichi

Aaron,
Thanks for bringing PCFX radio back! 

I haven't had any trouble connecting and listening to the stream, but as I post this, it seems to be down.

PCEngineFX

Should be up now.  I had some connectivity issues yesterday and today.
IMG

TR0N

Good to hear it's back i figure i'd give it a try for fun.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

Quote from: PcenginefxI've lowered the overall volume by a few notches, let me know if you guys see any change in the sound quality.
Sorry it took 3 days to respond, but yes it sounds much better, thanks!

To those with iTunes, do what I said in my last post to tune in (Just go to ADVANCED > OPEN STREAM and paste in the URL).  Once you do that the music will be playing, you will also see an entry in the main Library section of iTunes called Pcenginefx Radio.  Just click and drag that over to the left into the SOURCE column.  Now whenever you want to listen to PC Engine FX Radio, just click on that and press PLAY!