RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Which hardware in the arcade do you consider to have had the best titles?

Started by PCEngineHell, 04/04/2007, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which hardware in the arcade set ups do you consider to have had the best selection of games titles and the best games over all? I am aiming at hardware from the mid-late 80ies to early 90ies.

Taito F2,F3,and Z,H,& L-System
Capcom Zilog based and CPS 1-3
Sega System 16,18,32 & Super-Scaler. Model 1
Midway Wolf,Z,Y,and T hardware
SNK Psycho Solder,Alpha 68K,Normal 68K,and NEOGEO MVS
Namco System 2,System21,System 22,NA and NB sets
Contra based,Twin 16 based,XEXEX based,X-Men based,and TMNT 1 and 2 based
Atari,8,16 and early 32-bit games. Ends with T-mek.

PCEngineHell

Exactly as the title states,and you can argue your opinion here. Pics to show something about the hardware or games on it,or to help win your case are encouraged. If someone convinces you to change your mind and choose a different hardware set up,feel free to change your vote. Im sure you all already know what my vote is for. :P

For those completely clueless as to the hardware systems listed above and what titles were on each,use this link for research and refresher material:
http://www.system16.com/

gundarN

No NAOMI?
I like my CPS2 games and Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned. Then again, I like my fighters as well as my shooters.

CPS2 gets my vote. CPS3 is a good bit of 2D hardware (although SF3.3 isn't popular with a lot of people); but the carts are just too damned flaky.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: gundarN on 04/04/2007, 06:38 PMNo NAOMI?
I like my CPS2 games and Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned. Then again, I like my fighters as well as my shooters.

CPS2 gets my vote. CPS3 is a good bit of 2D hardware (although SF3.3 isn't popular with a lot of people); but the carts are just too damned flaky.
Nah,no 64-128 bit stuff. Just mid to late 80ies to early 90ies. I think the only 3d based hardware to even make the list is Namco's System 21 hardware they used to make StarBlade,cause its so old being from around 91,and Namco's System 22 because it had a good cut off date for last game released of being around 95 and is also using older hardware much like the NA and NB stuff from Namco. I would have listed it in the title of the thread,but ran out of space. I am aiming at hardware from the mid-late 80ies to early 90ies.

Joe Redifer

Sega games were fun.  Nothing beats 'em for great arcade gameplay.  The Capcom board (CPS2 or some shit like that) was great as well.  The NeoGeo was only for cheap arcade owners, as it was clearly designed to be a budget system.  It's like buying a PS2 (without the great library) instead of a PS3 (with a better library).

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/04/2007, 07:24 PMSega games were fun.  Nothing beats 'em for great arcade gameplay.  The Capcom board (CPS2 or some shit like that) was great as well.  The NeoGeo was only for cheap arcade owners, as it was clearly designed to be a budget system.  It's like buying a PS2 (without the great library) instead of a PS3 (with a better library).
The MVS 1 Slot and CPS 2 A board kits were pretty much on par on pricing on their original release. They both cost vendors alot of cash. The games for both were pretty much expensive too. I'm not sure why you think MVS carts were cheap. The price did lower alot over the years,but from 91-97 it was still common for a vendor to have to cough up $600-700 for  a new MVS cart kit. Cart kits only include the cart,not the MVS system. I still laugh about it because I had a World Heroes 1 MVS cart kit complete that had been shipped in its original box COD by UPS. The COD amount on the shipping label was around $680.00. A Metal Slug 1 cart kit I had also had the sales receipt in it and was around $640.00. BTW,did you replace your Neo AES yet Joe?

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Then why don't you own one?

AES is in the process of being replaced.  Of course I'll have to mod it for proper RGB and all that crap.

CrackTiger

I'd vote for the Capcom or Sega hardware that predates those on the poll.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/04/2007, 09:06 PMThen why don't you own one?

AES is in the process of being replaced.  Of course I'll have to mod it for proper RGB and all that crap.
I finally got my first Neo Geo (CD) this month. Playing Kabuki Klash/Shinden through emulation doesn't even compare(!) to playing it on real hardware. Although there are many other titles I plan on buying, this game alone justifies buying the system for me.  8) And not just because its a Tengai Makyou game.  :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

I do own one and it kicks azz  8) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Kitsunexus

Not even Model 1? WTF dude...

Anyway, I'm not voting, there's too many great games spread over those systems...
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Keranu on 04/04/2007, 10:17 PM

I do own one and it kicks azz  8) .
Yea Keranu owns a 1-slot MVS and some nice games for it,this is why we colaberated on his Supergun. I think the one he owns is one we found looking around on ebay during the planning of his Supergun. He will have to correct me if I am wrong,I am sleepy and my memory is fuzzy.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/04/2007, 10:38 PMNot even Model 1? WTF dude...

Anyway, I'm not voting, there's too many great games spread over those systems...
I went ahead and added it. Yea I had forgotten it. Silly of me too considering both Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing were money makers on this old yet highly valued hardware,esp Virtua Fighter 1. Most of the other titles on the hardware were made in very low runs however,so alot of people probably missed out on most of the Model 1 titles released.

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Joe Redifer

Quote from: CrackTigressKabuki Klash/Shinden  Tengai Makyou
Those are funny words.  Japanese titles often look the same to me, which is why it is extremely difficult for me to shop for Japanese PC Engine games.  I have no idea what those games are about.  They don't sound very fun.  They'd sound much more fun if they had some words that made sense.

Turbo D

I voted Capcom, but it was a hard choice with the sega and neogeo. But I spent the most quarters on street fighter arcades probly.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/05/2007, 12:59 AM
Quote from: CrackTigressKabuki Klash/Shinden  Tengai Makyou
Those are funny words.  Japanese titles often look the same to me, which is why it is extremely difficult for me to shop for Japanese PC Engine games.  I have no idea what those games are about.  They don't sound very fun.  They'd sound much more fun if they had some words that made sense.
Kabuki Klash is a spin off fighter for NeoGeo based on the popular RPG series Tengai Makyou that started out on Pc-Engine. It had another spin off fighter for Arcade Card called Kabuki Itouryodan.

Joe Redifer

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I'm still right where I started.  It would be a waste to play through an RPG that I couldn't understand.

PS - You need to go to sleep.  12 hours, MINIMUM!

PCEngineHell

LOL actually yea I get little of nothing sleep wise most days. For a while there I was sleeping solid after I quit smoking,which was easy to do because of all the sleep I got. I just decided to stop after my last pack in hopes of improving my sleep cycle,and did. No patch,gum,angry withdraws,zilch. Alas now however I am back to staying up all night and most of the day with small naps. I hope to resolve this soon. Part of it is due to me having to work on projects during the night when my kids are in bed.

Don't feel bad about the Tengai Makyou stuff. Alot of people love it,but I never did. I think the fighters are well done for what they are,but like on the NeoGeo I am used to lots of blood on my weapon based games,and it Kabuki Klash lacks that. It also tends to be very easy till the end bosses,then gets cheap,cheaper then usual infact.

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/05/2007, 01:13 AMIt would be a waste to play through an RPG that I couldn't understand.
You would be surprised how fun those RPGs can actually be without knowing Japanese ;) . I played through Kabuki Den and had a blast, I think there is one part in that game in particular that you might like, Joe :) . I need to play through TMII sometime, but I've got a bunch of other games I need to play through first.
IMG

NecroPhile

Neo-Geo for the win!!!  :dance:

I'll make a side vote for Atari System 1 because of Road Blasters (my all-time favorite arcade game).  I never saw it in any arcades, but I think that it also had Marble Madness so I'll give it a couple of bonus points.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

I just voted for Capcom and will say my vote includes all the Capcom arcade games I love from the mid to late 80's.  :)

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/05/2007, 12:59 AM
Quote from: Black TigressKabuki Klash/Shinden  Tengai Makyou
Kabuki Klash is the gaijin region name of TM/FEOE Shinden. Its a TM themed fighting game most similar to Samurai Showdown. Its also the only TM/FEOE game to get a North American release.

Quote from: Keranu on 04/05/2007, 01:50 AMYou would be surprised how fun those RPGs can actually be without knowing Japanese ;) . I played through Kabuki Den and had a blast, I think there is one part in that game in particular that you might like, Joe :) . I need to play through TMII sometime, but I've got a bunch of other games I need to play through first.
Are you talking about Manto's fantasy?  :-k
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

I demand a description of what I might like about that game.

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2007, 06:45 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 04/05/2007, 01:50 AMYou would be surprised how fun those RPGs can actually be without knowing Japanese ;) . I played through Kabuki Den and had a blast, I think there is one part in that game in particular that you might like, Joe :) . I need to play through TMII sometime, but I've got a bunch of other games I need to play through first.
Quote from: Joe RediferI demand a description of what I might like about that game.
I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler, but the part I was referring to was when the party travels around the world and lands in England and the game is actually in English (or Engrish I should say) for awhile :D . Nothing better than having a bunch of Japanese people trying to pronounce English with British accents r e a l l y  s l o w.
IMG

termis

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/05/2007, 08:22 PMAnyone know what Itouryodan actually means???
ittouryoudan: 一刀涼談
Refreshing/cool story of a single sword/slash?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 04/05/2007, 09:10 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 04/05/2007, 06:45 PM
Quote from: Joe RediferI demand a description of what I might like about that game.
I hope this doesn't count as a spoiler, but the part I was referring to was when the party travels around the world and lands in England and the game is actually in English (or Engrish I should say) for awhile :D . Nothing better than having a bunch of Japanese people trying to pronounce English with British accents r e a l l y  s l o w.
"I just hope my killer panther is OKAY!"  :P

Boy was I wishing that would last the first time I played through the game.  :)

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 04/05/2007, 10:08 PMBoy was I wishing that would last the first time I played through the game.  :)
Oh god me too! That would've ruled.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 04/05/2007, 09:18 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/05/2007, 08:22 PMAnyone know what Itouryodan actually means???
Hmmm, I wonder how I could refrase that to make sense with Kabuki in front of, or behind it.  Fun Kabuki Sword Slashing!
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: KeranooNothing better than having a bunch of Japanese people trying to pronounce English with British accents r e a l l y  s l o w.
Dude, that would kick so much ass.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/06/2007, 01:17 AM
Quote from: KeranooNothing better than having a bunch of Japanese people trying to pronounce English with British accents r e a l l y  s l o w.
Dude, that would kick so much ass.
Even the english text that types out as they speak slowly is spaced out  l i k e  t h a t.

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/06/2007, 12:26 AM
Quote from: thumpin_termis on 04/05/2007, 09:18 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how I could refrase that to make sense with Kabuki in front of, or behind it.  Fun Kabuki Sword Slashing!
Ironically, "Kabuki Klash" wouldn't be too far off.

They still should've come up with a better english name for Shin Den. Especially since Kabuki isn't the main star, unlike Itouryoden. I would've just called it "Far East Of Eden".

Doesn't Shin Den mean "tha real shit!"? Since it was the first FEOE game over here, it wouldn't need a subtitle like that.

PCEngineHell

nat

System 16 for me.

Technical nonsense aside, I have the most fond memories of System 16 games over anything else.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games