Sylphia Hard Rock version

Started by ParanoiaDragon, 05/04/2007, 02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

Well, here it is, the hard rock/heavy metal(technically Progressive Rock) version of Sylphia.  I had been wanting to do a project of taking a shooter & changing the music to be more Lords of Thunder-esque.  I asked for suggestions, & Sylphia came up.  The one cd shooter I don't own(atleast, anymore #-o).  I went thru the music, remembered a few of the tracks, noted that the game would really benefit from some rock, rather then techno.  Also noticed that the music in the original game was too quiet, so, you won't find that problem here!

It took some time to find the right songs for the right levels, not to mention the 2 cinemas & bosses.  Also added an extra track for the final boss.  Basically, the final boss, in the original version didn't have a final boss song.  It just reused 2 old boss songs.  Well, now, since there were a couple of repeated/clone tracks in the game, I replaced one of them with a new song.  Then Tomaitheous went & changed where the game would seek the last song, & changed it from one track, to a different one so we could use a brand new song for the final boss.

Tomaitheous did all the extra work.  Basically, I went thru all of Vinnie Moore's albums, & matched up the songs to the levels & did some early testing on real hardware to make sure everything was working as far as I could possibly be capable of.  Then,  I laid the rest in Tom's hands, including hosting of the new patched game.

I think that's everything, so, here's the game http://pcedev.net/sylphia/sylphia.rar

I hope you guys enjoy this lil' effort of us Frozen Utopians.  Maybe consider it something to sink your teeth into while we work on our various game projects :D

Edit-I forgot to mention, I left track 8 as-is, since, it's a clone track, didn't see any point in replacing it, & didn't want to put another extra song on there, incase I may want to do another project like this someday, don't wanna eat up all my resources :wink:
IMG

peperocket

Very good job man !  =D>

Do you have write and play all songs yourself ???

I've listen all of them and it's a true professional work !

Let's go to play sylphia now !!!
Vive la Supergrafx !!!

ParanoiaDragon

All the songs in this game are by Vinnie Moore, mostly from his earlier albums Mind's Eye & Time Odyssey, here's a listing of his albums at Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/102-9526023-0456135?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=vinnie+moore

I do write music, but, none of my stuff sounds THIS good :D
IMG

termis

Just played it.   I actually never tried the original version, but this one sounds excellent!  Fantastic job!

The game itself isn't too shabby as well, though it seems to be slightly on the easy side, at least on default settings.  I got to level 7 or 8 on my first try.

The only things I noticed were: The intro music cut off abruptly about 2-3 seconds before the intro scene finished, and the the x-audio batch file didn't run properly because it was looking for an xaudio.dll file.  So I just used another program (dBpowerAMP) to convert the mp3 files to wav files and burned it.  Perhaps using another program than the supplied x-audio.exe file threw off the music sync a little bit?

Still waiting for the official release of Mysterious Song.  :D

TurboXray

I forgot the DLL file? Damn it ](*,)

ParanoiaDragon

Glad you like!  I think this music fits the setting more.  I did the best I could on the intro music.  Whenever I made it longer then the original file, it litterally cut off, because the cinemas only allow a certain amount of time, before they load to the next part.  It DID fade out right?  It does on mine.

The levels & bosses thankfully didn't require the original length, so I was able to put the new songs in as is.  Infact, originally when I was inserting the new songs, I was cutting them & fading them, so they would be the original length, but noticed that you would get to the end of the song, & then loop it, before the level ended, so, I went & tried using the full songs, & it worked to my surprise!

As for the X-audio thing, yeah, it didn't work for me either, so I haven't gotten the downloaded file to work yet.  But, I have my original file, which Tomaitheous sent me a patch for, & everything works great on it.  I keep forgetting to mention it to him whenever I talk to him.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Oh, there you are!  The current problem I have, is when I run the run me bat file, it says The procedure entry point decoder_version could not be located in the dynamic link library xaudio.dll.
IMG

termis

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/08/2007, 11:36 PMGlad you like!  I think this music fits the setting more.  I did the best I could on the intro music.  Whenever I made it longer then the original file, it litterally cut off, because the cinemas only allow a certain amount of time, before they load to the next part.  It DID fade out right?  It does on mine.
No, it actually did cut right off.  I just tried it again, and this happened actually more like 6-7 seconds before the intro fades out into the title screen (just as the comet-thingy starts shooting into the air).  Perhaps I'll try burning another copy sometime.

ParanoiaDragon

So......it never gets to fade then.  That's wierd.  All I can think of, is that the song is starting too late.  Are you using it on real hardware or an emulator?  I'm assuming the music file itself, does fade, & doesn't just cut, so, it's gotta be some wierd quirk, where the music is loading too late for whatever reason, though, I did a bunch of testing, & never had that happen.  However, I haven't tested this download, I've only tested what I put together, along with a patch I applied to the iso. :-k
IMG

termis

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/09/2007, 01:13 AMSo......it never gets to fade then.  That's wierd.  All I can think of, is that the song is starting too late.  Are you using it on real hardware or an emulator?  I'm assuming the music file itself, does fade, & doesn't just cut, so, it's gotta be some wierd quirk, where the music is loading too late for whatever reason, though, I did a bunch of testing, & never had that happen.  However, I haven't tested this download, I've only tested what I put together, along with a patch I applied to the iso. :-k
I'm running on the actual hardware, a PC Engine Duo.  And I just burned another copy, and even used the included xaudio.exe and the batch file to convert the mp3 to wav files (by grabbing the xaudio.dll file from here), but I end up with the same result.  The track doesn't play out to the end, and cuts off at around 2:11~2:12 portion.  When I play the mp3/wav file itself on the computer, it seems to fade out okay.  Strange.

Anyway, the intro track itself seems _perfect_ for the cut scenes.  I can't believe that the music wasn't written for this particular intro.

ParanoiaDragon

That's bizarre, I don't know why it's doing that, maybe Bonknuts can figure it out, & upload a new version.

As for the intro music, yeah, I just went thru all Vinnie Moore's album's, & that song really fit!  Almost as if it seriously was written for the cinema.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Ok, I just tested the downloaded version, I do notice, that on real hardware, the music doesn't start as quickly as on an emu.  But, the music at the end of the cinema didn't cut out for me, it faded perfectly on mine, so.......not sure what to tell you :?
IMG

termis

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/11/2007, 01:11 AMOk, I just tested the downloaded version, I do notice, that on real hardware, the music doesn't start as quickly as on an emu.  But, the music at the end of the cinema didn't cut out for me, it faded perfectly on mine, so.......not sure what to tell you :?
Yeah, I think my Duo just didn't like this particular brand of CD-Rs.  I booted it up on my SCD-ROM system, and once it cut off (in some totally random place in the middle), and once it faded out okay.  So it's definitely the media/hardware combination on my side.   ](*,)

ParanoiaDragon

Ok, that makes sense.  I've been using Memorex as of late.

BTW, what does everybody else that's tried my version of the game think of it?  Questions, comments :-k
IMG

esteban

I have never heard of Vinnie Moore before... wasn't he one of the musical celebrities who sported a TurboExpress when he was touring? Oh, wait, that was someone else.... :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

He's been a part of G3 with the likes of Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Steve Vai(& possibly others?).  His stuff sounds the most like Lords of Thunder, which is why I chose him for the reworking of Sylphia.
IMG

NecroPhile

Nicely done P.D.  You made some good choices that fit the game quite a bit better than I was expecting.  =D>
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

Thank you, glad you like! :D
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/04/2007, 02:16 AMI went thru the music, remembered a few of the tracks, noted that the game would really benefit from some rock, rather then techno.
BLASPHEMY!!!

That being said, this is awesome. :)
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

Joe Redifer

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this really, REALLY sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen.  You will have a hard time convincing me that it is not him.

Anyway, is this music from the game itself or just an arrange album or what?  Is this a Japanese music CD?

GUTS

ParanoiaDragon

It's from a couple of Vinnie Moore's albums. IIRC, they are from his first 2 albums, I don't think I used any songs from his later ones.  Ya know, I've never heard much of Yngwei's stuff, I gotta look more into his music one of these days.  The only song I really know by him, is Far Beyond the Sun which was kind of remade for Ys 4.
IMG

blixa

can someone upload this again?

esteban

Quote from: blixa on 04/10/2013, 02:03 AMcan someone upload this again?
https://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=jp&val=sylphia  (Hard Rock & Original)

I'll just paste my comments:
QuoteNOTE: The "Hard Rock" version is a collection of songs by Vinnie Moore, compiled by a PCE fan as an alternate soundtrack. HOWEVER, the original synth/dance soundtrack is exquisite.
EXQUISITE. The original soundtrack is f*cking exquisite.

:pcgs:

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 04/10/2013, 11:56 PM
Quote from: blixa on 04/10/2013, 02:03 AMcan someone upload this again?
https://archives.tg-16.com/music_database.htm?col=jp&val=sylphia  (Hard Rock & Original)

I'll just paste my comments:
QuoteNOTE: The "Hard Rock" version is a collection of songs by Vinnie Moore, compiled by a PCE fan as an alternate soundtrack. HOWEVER, the original synth/dance soundtrack is exquisite.
EXQUISITE. The original soundtrack is f*cking exquisite.

Word up esteban!  I didn't realise you had it up on your site, sweet!
IMG

blixa

thanks, but i was looking for the in-game patch..

CrackTiger

Quote from: blixa on 04/11/2013, 02:51 AMthanks, but i was looking for the in-game patch..
CD games like Sylphia with CD music use tracks the same as a regular music CD. You can even play PCE CD games in a music CD player. Just swap the audio tracks in a wav/iso style rip and burn the disc.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/11/2013, 01:35 AMWord up esteban!  I didn't realise you had it up on your site, sweet!
Even funnier, I had already included a link to this thread (before blixa asked for anything) so folks would know what the hell the "Sylphia HR" version was! Ha!

blixa

Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2013, 10:32 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/11/2013, 01:35 AMWord up esteban!  I didn't realise you had it up on your site, sweet!
Even funnier, I had already included a link to this thread (before blixa asked for anything) so folks would know what the hell the "Sylphia HR" version was! Ha!

that's how i found it..

BlueBMW

Is the original patch available somewhere so we can do the whole change the final boss track thingy?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

ParanoiaDragon

Ok, this sucks, but....I can't find the patch!  It's been years now, but I'm starting to think I was given an already patched version.  Kinda wish I got the patch to make it easier for everyone else that already owns the game :(
IMG

esteban

STATUS: Sylphia's original soundtrack is still not getting the love it deserves.

Not that Vinnie Moore doesn't deserve a hug & a kiss, too, of course.

TurboXray

I might have this still.

PD: Did I have to hack the game? I mean, to remove redundant track plays or something (for later levels). I can't remember if we did that or just a straight track replace.

ParanoiaDragon

My recollection was that you hacked it.  I think the original game plays one of the regular boss tracks for the final boss, & you changed it so it'd seek a different track IIRC.
IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/29/2013, 06:05 PMMy recollection was that you hacked it.  I think the original game plays one of the regular boss tracks for the final boss, & you changed it so it'd seek a different track IIRC.
Yeah, that sounds familiar. Did you lose your copy of the hack/mod?

ParanoiaDragon

I have the ISO that works with the new tunes, but I couldn't find a patch.   Was there one, or did you give it to me already patched?
IMG

TurboXray

Probably already patched, since the ISO compressed fairly small. You can match a patch from it, though. You just need the original file too. There are utils to make the patch from the difference between the two.