@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Anyone use the x-box for emulating older consoles?

Started by termis, 05/07/2007, 04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

So I'm thinking about picking one up for emulating classic console systems, if only for consolidating all these older systems into one neat package.

So... how viable is this option?  Is playing SNES/Genesis/TG16 games on an X-box pretty much the same experience as playing on the real thing, or are there still big enough issues to warrant playing on the real thing?

Ninja Spirit

I used to have one with NES SNES Genesis TG16 Atari and SMS on it. From my experience, they all ran perfectly.

However, MAMEX or Final Burn X is THE best thing you could ever have on an XBox.

Seldane

No way! Even considering it is an insult to all those awesome systems. :(
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Digi.k

its emulates it as good as any pc..  as long as u got a chipped one..

unfortunately the friend I sold it too blew it up ... as every electrical appliance he owns tends to die ... >.<

GUTS

A modded Xbox is honestly the greatest system of all time, everything pre-PSX runs 100% perfect.  Hell even a lot of PSX games run awesome once you tweak them, I played through Shadow Tower on my Xbox just because the graphics were much better and you could save state (that game is WAY too hard with the limited save spots they give you).

BonkThis

you have to use the xbox controller though right?

is there a mod to use a diff controller like a PS controller plugged into a usb converter

GUTS

Yeah that's what I use, you can order them online for like $10.  A PS2 controller is the only way to go for emulators.

termis

Hmm... I think I'll defintely look into this as soon as I find some time...  (Currently studying for GMATs... goddamn times like these are the only times I need math beyond simple algebra).

Any particular chip recommendations?

RCduck7

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 05/08/2007, 02:27 PMHmm... I think I'll defintely look into this as soon as I find some time...  (Currently studying for GMATs... goddamn times like these are the only times I need math beyond simple algebra).

Any particular chip recommendations?
Have no turbografx roms yet on my xbox but so far i'm very impressed with mame, genesis, snes and so on but with an old fashioned controller the experience would be even better.
I didn't need a chip and i also didn't have the time to realize what i have now on my xbox.
I just stumbled on someone who sold his xbox and seem to have the knowledge and within a few days time he was fitting me a 320GB hard drive in it and installed a complete mediacenter with all the possibilities you could wish for.
It almost IS a PC!
don't be human... be peacefull

Seldane

Quote from: RCduck7 on 05/08/2007, 04:46 PMIt almost IS a PC!
Yeah. Except it's weak. And not a PC. Why not use a PC instead?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

termis

Cause playing on a computer desk is for weenies.   [-(

SignOfZeta

Yeah, a modded Xbox is pretty great. An unmodded Xbox is pretty shit. Emulation isn't %100 perfect by any means, but it excels at CPS2, Neo Geo, older arcade games, Mega Drive, and even does a pretty great job with SNES, although the sound isn't perfect, only a really really picky person can tell.

QuoteYeah. Except it's weak. And not a PC. Why not use a PC instead?
Several reasons: The video output of an XBox is better than a lot of PCs if you are playing on a TV. Xbox machines basically suck for all but about 4 actual Xbox games, which makes the actual machine extremely cheap. You can get one for $60-80 if you are lucky. Pretty hard to build a computer for that. It doesn't run Windows, so you can just use pre-prepared HD images from BT or whereever and be up and running rather quickly with no wierd dll issues, or driver problems, or whatever. If something gets wacked, just copy the same image over again and your good as new. Xboxes make pretty good DiVX players too.
IMG

Seldane

What kind of HD images do you speak of?

Also: my friend has his ultra silent and tiny shuttle gaming PC connected to his HDTV via DVI. Now THAT's a setup. He's using regular Xbox controllers for it though. Mad man. :)
IMG

Kitsunexus

My emulation has to be perfect+, or no dice.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Joe Redifer

I use my Xbox as a video player via the godly Xbox Media Center.  It can play almost every format (if not every format) and it shows them at 720p.  Because of this my Xbox is powered on more than any other videogame system currently.

termis

Yeah, that's actually another good use for it.  I have a standalone divx/xvid player that plays avis, but a lot of stuff these days seem to be coming in other container formats as well.  Wouldn't mind watching my mp4/ogg files on the big screen.

GUTS

If you have to have a chip, just get a cheap ass Duo X2 as it does everything you'll need and only costs like $15.

RCduck7

Played my original dracula x CD on my xbox through the hugoX emulator but some sounds are missing when i play it on the original hardware.
Like when you defeat your first boss (the dragon) he screams which you don't hear on the xbox.
Don't know if it will be the same issue when playing it through romfile though.

GUTS

Try Mednafen PCE instead, I have way better luck with that emulator than Hugo on the Xbox.

Kitsunexus

I want to hear the scream, can anybody record it please?  [-o&lt;
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

RCduck7

Quote from: GUTS on 05/20/2007, 10:54 PMTry Mednafen PCE instead, I have way better luck with that emulator than Hugo on the Xbox.
Thanks for the tip, will try it soon and report here.

Kitsunexus, this is one of the many sounds that is missing.
Like at the beginning of the level when he is riding the horses and yells "yah yah" is also one of the sounds that are missing.
Sorry, to busy now to record them. :lol:

RCduck7

Yess!! :D

Got mednafenX running on my xbox mediacenter and with the dracula x game the otherwise missing sounds on the HugoX are present now!

The only issue i have now, is that i have some back ups on a dvd-r but to get them running i have to convert them from mp3 to wav in some way.
It's taken some time but i finally begin to understand the basics in doing this.
Thanks again.

GUTS

Yeah Mednafen is a way better emulator, I had nothing but trouble with Hugo.  The only problem I have will it is that sometimes the synching on the audio is off, like in Ys IV for example, any redbook audio during cutscenes is a few seconds behind the action on screen.  This is even using real Turbo CDs in my Xbox, so I know it's not a problem with disc images.  It's a minor complaint though, mednafen is awesome otherwise and the perfect way to play Xak III and Ys IV if your duo won't read CDRs.

RCduck7

Quote from: GUTS on 05/23/2007, 06:08 PMYeah Mednafen is a way better emulator, I had nothing but trouble with Hugo.  The only problem I have will it is that sometimes the synching on the audio is off, like in Ys IV for example, any redbook audio during cutscenes is a few seconds behind the action on screen.  This is even using real Turbo CDs in my Xbox, so I know it's not a problem with disc images.  It's a minor complaint though, mednafen is awesome otherwise and the perfect way to play Xak III and Ys IV if your duo won't read CDRs.
In some ways (definitely not all ways) running an emulator on xbox is indeed awesome.
How can you run the original nec hardware on a plasma through component leads in 720p???
With xbox you can!!!
It is still sharp on a BIG screen!
Plus, it is easy to play your games on xbox and keep your console/collection clean and safe and don't create a mess hooking it all up!
Never understood the fuss of emulating on a desktop PC but on a console it is so much better!