@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Fighting Street

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/08/2007, 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

This game is pure awesome.  Easy, silky smooth controls, an uncountable amount of special moves, unbelievable animation and amazing super finishes.  Oh wait... I'm thinking of some other game.

Anyway, I do like this game for it's pure cheesiness.  The music is great, but the voices are what really make this game so awesome.  Does anyone have a recording of all the voices in this game (preferably without music and sound effects)?  It's like they hired a Japanese guy who could barely speak English, shoved a whole bunch of wet rags in his mouth, gave him the lines and told him to read them all into the microphone.

Keranu

Yeah this game excells in the cheese department :D .

Nightwolve ripped all the voices from this game once and posted them on the Magic Engine forums I think, but no clue where to find them and if they are still up. If it was posted on the ME forums, the thread is probably gone now ever since Dave did something with the boards.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

In the few reviews I've read of this game, the reviewer usually blames the TG-16 for the 'crappy' voices, but they sound identical to the arcade's.

The cool thing about the TG-CD version is that it has the original voices for the special moves while the North American arcade just says 'Street Fighter!' for every move (if I remember correctly).
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2007, 10:13 PMThe cool thing about the TG-CD version is that it has the original voices for the special moves while the North American arcade just says 'Street Fighter!' for every move (if I remember correctly).
Hahaha, that's awesome I didn't know ab00t that!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

SNKNostalgia

DO A FIREBALL RYU!!! JUST DO IT DAMNIT!!! NO, NO, DON'T F$#%# PUNCH!! SHIT, NOW I AM DEAD!!!!

Gotta love first ever fighting game with moves in it. I like how the characters are of different race like Birdie and how different some of the characters look now. It does have pretty decent BG for its time.

Joe Redifer

I was able to do a Dragon Punch and a fireball, and I think in order to do them you must go through the motions much slower than you're normally used to doing, but it is still very hard.  The Hurricane Kick is in there as well, but it is a reverse fireball command instead of the left-right-left-right SF2 command.

Here is my review of the arcade game that I wrote quite awhile ago, reposted from MagicBox:

Street Fighter
1/10
Arcade

IMG
OMG it's STREET FIGHTER 1!!!
Notice nobody is playing the
game in this picture.

Here it is, the game that started it all in 1987!  It must be an amazing game to warrant so many sequels and spin-offs.  In fact, how can it NOT be outstanding?  Let's put a quarter in and play this incredible game.  Ah OK.  Press Start.  Select my country (I choose USA because I am a patriot and not a traitor).  OK.  I guess I am Ryu.  Round 1.  Oh.... my.  What happened?  Am I actually playing or is this just the demo?  Oh wait I am actually playing!  Well... not anymore.

IMG
This game takes place back when Ryu and Ken were
complete stoners, so their moves are very slow.

Graphics: 4/10
Compared to all of it's sequels, Street Fighter really doesn't hold a candle.  It has two layers of scrolling, floaty sprites, good color, no line scrolls (floor "warping") and that's about it.  The backgrounds do look nice and that's why I give the graphics as much as I do.  Capcom usually does very well with that aspect in the arcades.  But the sprites are unacceptable!  Ryu is now a red-head.  In fact I think I'm playing as Adol from the Y's series instead of Ryu.  Except Adol is a hell of a lot easier to control than Ryu is in this game.  The animation is horrible.  Complete choppiness.  When you jump, the sprites just kind of float slowly.  It's bad.  Oh yeah, there are some familiar characters in this game, like Birdie.  We all remember Birdie from the Alpha series, right?  Well Birdie must be the ultimate "wigger" because in this game he is actually white.  He has "Reverse Michael Jackson Disease" I guess.

IMG
It's M.Bison, known here as "Mike". Apparently Ryu
bumped his knee and now he's hopping around in pain.
I did the same thing after kneeing the arcade for
being so damn cheap and frustrating!

Sound: 4/10
The sound is worse than the graphics, by far.  The music is screechy and abrasive sounding.  The actual composition of the music is good, but the sound quality used just destroys it.  So why did I rate the sound the same as the graphics if the sound is so bad?  Because it is also absolutely HILARIOUS!  Every single character in the game has the same exact voice which sounds like a drunk Japanese guy trying to speak English with a mouthful of Play-Doh?... yes even Mike who just happens to be black.  Every character has a witty line that they speak when they win.  With Mike it's "I'm strong!".  When Retsu wins he tells you to "Go to heaven!".  So polite.  If you win, each character will say to you the same exact high-quality phrase in the same exact high-quality voice each time.  Can you understand what is being said?  Fortunately this phrase also exists in text-form in the game, but I'll let those of you who haven't played the game try and guess!  I don't know where they found this guy.

IMG
This stage looks cool.  However it plays
like ass just like all the other stages.

Gameplay: 1/10
This is a Street Fighter game? Daaaaaamn!  Well let's see... it weighs in at 40 megabits.  You can play as Ryu or Ken.  That's it.  You both have the same exact moves.  You can do your favorite moves like the Hurricane Kick, Dragon Punch, or Fireball.  Good luck trying to do those moves at critical moments, though.  Control is EXTREMELY unresponsive to say the least.  It doesn't help that the characters are floaty and only about 5 hits are required to win (or lose).  You start out by selecting a country, and you have to defeat the two dudes there.  Once you beat all 8 characters from all 4 countries, Thailand opens up and you have to then deal with Adon and final boss Sagat.  Both will piss you off tremendously with their super cheap gameplay.  To be honest, it is easier (and definitely more fun) to see how many papercuts you can give yourself all over your body than to play this "game".  It is worth a quarter just to say that you've played the elusive "Street Fighter 1" and to laugh at how bad it is, but beyond that it is sheer torture. 

IMG
Ryu is a redhead and I don't know what
Ken did to piss off his barber so much.

The only home conversion
This game only has one version for home consoles thankfully, and it's called "Fighting Street" (for the same reason the Gamecube is called "GCN"...  stupidity) and it exists only for the TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM system.  Not only that, but Fighting Street was the first CD game released in the USA for a home video game system EVER!  Capcom decided it would be best to put it on the system where the game would be least likely to sell since they were so ashamed of it.  The conversion of the arcade is actually quite good.  The graphics are a bit worse and it lost the second layer of scrolling.  The sprites are all pretty close and the game is still just as fun testicle surgery.  Even the voices are just as ridiculous.  However the music is now CD quality and nearly worth listening to.  The gameplay has been reduced to only two buttons, but you won't care as it's like trying to control the game with a box of sand in either version.  I would rate Fighting Street the same as I rated Street Fighter here, but with a higher score for "sound".

IMG
After many tries and much patience, Ryu
is finally able to throw a fireball.

Wrap up:
I can't believe that this game generated enough revenue to warrant a sequel.  I'd rather urinate acid.

CrackTiger

There's trick you can do to unlock easy special moves that are performed with a d-pad direction + Select or something.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

What????

**checks GameFAQs**

Holy shit!

SignOfZeta

Man, that was...a terrible review. What do you mean, Ryu is "now" a redhead? First off, its supposed to be brown, but they used those colors because of how limited the color pallet was. Superman wasn't supposed to have blue hair either, it just came out that way because there wasn't any other way to do it. Also, you do realize that the fact that you just discovered this game doesn't mean its the newest SF, right? He doesn't "now" have that hair, he always/originally had that hair.

I know the game isn't very fun/good, but it was pretty looking at the time. It doesn't have line-scrolling, but honestly what did in 1987? I'm not sure anything did. It wasn't really something to look for until...SFII, come to think of it, which was four years later.

Also, "The Hurricane Kick is in there as well, but it is a reverse fireball command instead of the left-right-left-right SF2 command." WTF? Are you thinking of Mortal Kombat or something? Those sorts of tapping commands are almost non-existent in Capcom fighting games. The Tatsumaki kick has always been QCB+K.

In short, you should send this to IGN. They'd hire you in a second for Virtual Console reviews.

I really hate this sort of revisionist bullshit...
IMG

Joe Redifer

You seem to have a grudge against me.  I'm not sure what your problem is, but please go back to licking your mom's pussy, thanks.

Also, the GameFAQs codes do not seem to work (surprise).

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/09/2007, 12:12 AMYou seem to have a grudge against me.  I'm not sure what your problem is, but please go back to licking your mom's pussy, thanks.

Also, the GameFAQs codes do not seem to work (surprise).
I'll try to dig out my old Ultimate Game Club catalogue that has a working version of the trick.

EDIT: Couldn't find it, but I checked the GameFAQs trick and they didn't put the period before each hi score.

They should be .HU   .SD   etc...

QuoteWhat do you mean, Ryu is "now" a redhead? First off, its supposed to be brown, but they used those colors because of how limited the color pallet was.
Ryu's hair is supposed to be red. The arcade hardware was more than capable of handling brown hair. Ryu's hair is red-turning-brown in the Alpha/Zero series to connect SF to SFII. :wink:

Joe Redifer

Oh OK there is supposed to be a period before the initials.  It's damn hard to even get to a place where you can enter the initials.  I had no trouble beating Mike the first few times, but now it's really hard.  He can kill you with four punches.  Blocking is very ineffective in this game.

I've always been confused about the SF Alpha series.  It's called Street Fighter Zero which means it should be BEFORE Street Fighter 1.  But Sagat already has his scar (which Ryu gave him in SF1) and everything seems to indicate that it takes place before 2, but after 1.  Can Capcom not count?  Does 1 come before 0 in Japan?  WTF?

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/08/2007, 09:52 PMAnyway, I do like this game for it's pure cheesiness.  The music is great, but the voices are what really make this game so awesome.  Does anyone have a recording of all the voices in this game (preferably without music and sound effects)?  It's like they hired a Japanese guy who could barely speak English, shoved a whole bunch of wet rags in his mouth, gave him the lines and told him to read them all into the microphone.
:)

I think you'll enjoy this, Joe:
Michael! A concerned reader from Bayfield, Wisconsin asks about the voices in Fighting Street...
Faito-DW-01-05.webp

Tangent: In light of a recent discussion (in another thread), folks here might also enjoy how PCE Batman is described in the next letter: "... it's more like Pacman than Batman."
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

I bet that the Japanese are incapable of pronouncing any words that end with a consonant, so they like to add vowel sounds at the end, like "Fight-o".  At least that's the way it seems to me.  They need to scrap the language altogether and just use English, as it is way better.

CrackTiger, the codes still do not work.  I used .SD which is supposed to do everything.  Select + any direction does nothing at all.

NecroPhile

I've used the codes many times, so I know that they do work.  Try the .LK one (special moves only), or use a Turbo Stick's slow motion and nobody can touch you.  Yes, I'm filthy, cheating scum.  :wink:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

Cheating is encouraged and required in this game!  Not sure if slow motion will help (I have it on my NEC Avenue 6-button pad but have't tried it), but I'll try anything.  I've actually made it up to Adon in this version.  I imagine I destroyed at least nine controllers fighting him alone.  Actually the number is 0, but it should be 9.

Do the codes only work once, or do they stay in memory since the scores are saved?  I was playing as Ken, maybe they only work for Ryu?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/09/2007, 01:29 AMI bet that the Japanese are incapable of pronouncing any words that end with a consonant, so they like to add vowel sounds at the end, like "Fight-o".  At least that's the way it seems to me.  They need to scrap the language altogether and just use English, as it is way better.

Black Tiger, the codes still do not work.  I used .SD which is supposed to do everything.  Select + any direction does nothing at all.
Okay... after discovering that my Turbo-CD Fighting Street is severely scratched I fired up the PC Engine version. My foggy memory led me to believe that you might need to place in the top three or something, so I played until I got first place.

Ironically, the trick to getting a high score quickly is pulling of special moves, they give you like 5000 points or something. :P

Anyways, I put in .LK which I thought was supposed to unlock only 'easy special moves' and tried another fight. I couldn't get it to work either.  ](*,)

Then all of a sudden I had a brainstorm and remembered where I kept the tattered half page of UGC tricks. It only lists the .SD initials, but the key element is that after entering in the initials, there's a code to press at the title screen.

I now remember that this was why I first hung onto this scrap of paper. Because I always saw the trick misprinted in magazines. :P

Anyways, at the title(wall punching) screen press these all at once: Left + I + II + Select. If done correctly you're credits will jump from 3 to 7.

.LK only opened up the stage select feature and I quickly got killed trying to use Select for special moves against Saggat.

There's also a trick here saying to press I or II and RUN 'back and forth'. It says you'll 'get hurt less' because pausing resets the opponent's moves.  :dance:

PhilBiker

Friggin' hilarious game.  I actually like it for its pure cheesiness.  Great music!
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

TR0N

Quote from: PhilBiker on 07/09/2007, 09:57 AMFriggin' hilarious game.  I actually like it for its pure cheesiness.  Great music!
Agreed oh rats!!

Man was SF Full of engrish.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

BonkThis

I've def proclaimed my love of this game before. I totally remmeber playing it in the arcade when it came out, for the time it was inventive and marginally fun but hard as heck (although at the time I dont think I knew about the special moves). I also remmeber playing it long after Super SFII came out and I had mastered that game and I'll be damned even in the arcade the damn moves were hard as hell to pull off.

It's amazing that they were able to pull out such a gem as SFII considering how crappy SF played in comparrison.

JoshTurboTrollX

I cannot see how people who play this game thinks its bad.  What was its competition back then Yie Ar King Fu?

Its of course outdated, but still can be fun.

If you want to blast through it, just put the slow motion on, and the bad guys are virtually retarded!!  while it doesn't effect gameplay for you or change the music.

Great music, OK sound, Good Grafx, and OK Control.

Stop hating on this classic!!

TS
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: turbo_sage on 07/18/2007, 02:31 PMI cannot see how people who play this game thinks its bad.  What was its competition back then Yie Ar King Fu?

And I can't see how people who play this game think it's good.  I'll agree that the music is good and some of the backgrounds are nice, but the sprites stink, the sound effects are bloody horrendous, and the controls suck hairy goat sack.  It may be the best shit fighter, but it's still shit. 
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SNKNostalgia

Yeah even with a PS2 controller playing the arcade version on Cap Classics Vol.2 it is a pain in the ass. I get to Sagat and then get my ass handed to me all the time. Thanks to Art of Fighting 1, 2 and Fatal Fury 1, I am a little use to semi stiff controls, but good god they don't even compare to SF1.

BTW anyone ever sat down and tried to beat the Arcade version of Super SF2 Turbo??? On a scale of 1 - 8 for challenge levels, this game takes you to 10 even if you set it on 1. How the F-ing Shit do you even beat this game??? Perfect plays every single action???? The Japanese version of the Arcade is the only one that doesn't have the impossible challenge level. This makes me want to just buy a 3DO to play it.

Joe Redifer

But the 3DO has crappy controllers, only a single layer of BG scrolling and upscales the 240p to 480i.  What a crap system.  It deserves cancer.  Get Street Fighter Collection on the Saturn instead.

PCEngineHell

The only 3DO pads I hated are the Zadnost pad and the Goldstar one. No complaints about the others.

Joe Redifer

Really?  You liked the "loosen the screws to get diagonals" Panasonic ones?  Capcom also that that weird fighting controller, but I never liked how that felt.  I bought the 3DO when it came out.  $700.  I still have nightmares.  It's one of the only systems I have ever sold (and certainly not regretted).  I really did enjoy Road Rash and Return Fire, though.

Keranu

I enjoy 3DO controllers, I think of it as an improved Genesis pad.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I by no means am insisting that the original Genesis pad was suer-awesome, but at least it could do diagonals without effort.  The official Sega 6-button Genesis pads were absolutely super-awesome, though.

Keranu

IMG

Joe Redifer

Not sure where you're coming from, but you like dorky!

Turbo D

I have to admit, that 6 button genesis pad is superior for 16-bit fighting games. The 3 button version may be considered dorky, but not the 6.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/19/2007, 02:43 AMNot sure where you're coming from, but you like dorky!
Indeed! Though I prefer the original 3-button pad, even though those pads seem to get all sticky and crap somehow (I swear it doesn't involve semen!). I'm not sure what you mean about the diagnols on the 3DO pad, but it's always been fine with me and I like the nice heavy built feel to them.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Perhaps they improved on the 3DO pad when they changed to the Duo-lookin' model.  Since I am tr00 h4rdc0r3 OMG, I had the launch unit.

Turbo D

perhaps you should try....

Madcatz3doControlPad.webp

=D>
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

That's a horribly bad idea for two reasons:

#1 - It's Mad Catz

#2 - It would mean that I'd have to play 3DO again.  I'd rather light myself on fire.

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

nat

Dude, MadCatz is awesome.

MadCatz makes the best GCN controller out there.

Well, maybe not, but the best one that I've seen.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

ya, I picked up that bad boy 3do turbo pad at game crazy for only $2.99  :mrgreen:
IMG IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/18/2007, 03:22 PM
Quote from: turbo_sage on 07/18/2007, 02:31 PMI cannot see how people who play this game thinks its bad.  What was its competition back then Yie Ar King Fu?

And I can't see how people who play this game think it's good.  I'll agree that the music is good and some of the backgrounds are nice, but the sprites stink, the sound effects are bloody horrendous, and the controls suck hairy goat sack.  It may be the best shit fighter, but it's still shit. 
Hey NecroPhile, Yie Ar Kung Fu kicks the sprite out of you! :)  I like Karate Champ, myself :).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Turbo D

karate champ is bad ass, everyone came to my house to play it back in the day  :)
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: natMadCatz makes the best GCN controller out there.
What is a GCN?  Gamecube Nintendo?

Turbo D

gamecube network, you can network your gamecubes to play multi-player lan party style  :P Too bad none of my friends own the network adapter :( cheap bastards  :x
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

That can't be it.  I see the Gamecube stupidly referred to as the GCN all over the 'net.  There's only 1 or 2 games that have LAN capability (and it is pretty shallow, I've tried it) and 1 with internet capability.

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/19/2007, 11:55 PMI see the Gamecube stupidly referred to as the GCN all over the 'net.
I actually did that just for you because I've seen you complain about it before.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

JoshTurboTrollX

QuoteThere's only 1 or 2 games that have LAN capability (and it is pretty shallow, I've tried it) and 1 with internet capability.
I can think of three games that had online gameplay for the gamecube.

Thats like Way more than the stupid Sega CD!

Damn Redifer!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Phantasy Star Online counts as one game.  ONE!  Hell, I don't even think it counts as a real game due to its ass suckage!

Turbo D

that game was designed by sega to screw nintendo  :wink: with this game you can load pirates over the network, or something like that.
IMG IMG
IMG