Mysterious Song Demo Version

Started by OldRover, 09/29/2007, 03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Frozen Utopia will be releasing a special demo version of the game, free for download from our website. It should be ready by tomorrow.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

I love your sig, Nod  :mrgreen: . "I punched Pedro."
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

awack

OldRover

I was able to get it ready earlier than expected.

https://web.archive.org/web/2000/http://www.frozenutopia.com/msrdemo.rar

INSTRUCTIONS:
-Download and unrar.
-Run "unpack.bat" to decompress the audio files.
-Burn, mount to a virtual drive, or run the cuesheet directly in Mednafen.
-Enjoy. :D

It will play on real hardware, but there will be snow issues during fades...it's not a huge problem but if that kind of thing bugs you, it will bug you here. Don't play in Magic Engine, as the game uses some techniques that Magic Engine doesn't support. I do all testing in Mednafen 0.7.2, it plays it perfectly.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arjak

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 09/29/2007, 07:56 PMDon't play in Magic Engine, as the game uses some techniques that Magic Engine doesn't support.
PHOOEY! :cry:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Keranu

Quote from: Arjak on 09/29/2007, 09:51 PM
Quote from: Nödtveidt on 09/29/2007, 07:56 PMDon't play in Magic Engine, as the game uses some techniques that Magic Engine doesn't support.
PHOOEY! :cry:
Don't worry, it's still pretty playable in ME.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Quote from: Arjak on 09/29/2007, 09:51 PMPHOOEY! :cry:
Petition the author to fix his emulator. :D

Seriously though...it WILL work in Magic Engine, but it will have a couple of graphical problems due to unemulated hardware features that the game makes use of.

ccovell

I'm definitely not a fan of RPGs, but this demo version of the game seems competently programmed, with cutscenes, fights, the overhead view flowing together nicely.  The in-game graphics use a decent number of colours, so keep at it to make the graphics nice and vibrant.

The "anime" style for the cutscenes is the only part that lets the game down, but I'm sure you have dealt with those comments before, IIRC.

Joe Redifer

The game crashes (re: freezes) quit a bit for me (real TurboGrafx CD hardware).  The first time it crashed after I won the first battle in the UNBALANCED mode.  Then I tried the BALANCED mode and it crashed as it was loading the second battle.  I thought it was my TG-16 "forgetting" to load like it sometimes does, but a slight bump required to make it remember caused the disc to try and spin at warp speed.  Turning the system off and on again fixed that issue.  Whenever it freezes, it is on a black screen going into or out of some other scene, like a battle.  Sounds like Mednafen .7.2 doesn't emulate the real hardware very well.

esteban

I won't be playing the demo, but I'll be picking up the actual release. :)

Rock on, Nod & Company.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

Joe, it's either your hardware or your CD burning program. I can play the game for hours without issue on my hardware. Until the game is actually pressed, we gotta deal with the quirks of the old hardware and its handling of CDRs.

awack

I don't have burner so I'm playing it using Hu 6280, I've had no problems so far, the backgrounds for the battle scenes look fantastic..who ever did them obviously went for a realistic look.

nat

Joe, what Nod says rings true.

I've played the game extensively on the real hardware without issue.

My thought would be either the CDR media you're using your TG doesn't like, or you could try burning at a lower speed.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

That's interesting because I've never had any problems ever with CD-Rs that I've burned with the same computer and played on the same TurboGrafx CD player, and other CD-R games continue to work fine even after playing Mysterious Song.  Maybe I'll try burning at 1x instead of 4x.

nat

Try the slower speed. If that still doesn't work I'm not sure what to tell you unless something was inadvertently messed up when the demo was assembled (I haven't tried the demo myself).
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

OK I will try it.  I forgot to set the speed before I burned.  I usually burn PCE CDs at 2X, but I imagine that Nero defaults to the drive's top speed (which is 4X in this case).

OldRover

Sounds like you have a really old drive. I burn my discs on a relatively new drive, its lowest speed is 16x and it always seems to burn flawlessly. Older drives, especially ones that have been used a lot, seem to have a higher failure rate even when using very low speeds. Dunno why.

Joe Redifer

It's a Mitsumi and pretty old.   Rarely ever use it because it is so slow.  But it seems to make discs that will run on a TurboDuo which are notorious for not liking CD-Rs.  But again I didn't set the speed properly.  Usually the game burns it makes are very good.

ParanoiaDragon

For the record, the music in this is the original music, but I added a little atmoshpere to some of the songs.  That was a couple years ago when I did that.  I'm currently working on updating the music further(not recomposing, just making it sound more organic), though, so far, Keranu is the only one to hear my latest versions of what songs I've worked on recently.  Hopefully, my new revisions will be in the final game.
IMG