OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Best & worst ACDs

Started by guyjin, 02/05/2008, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2008, 06:48 PMBut most of the background tiles are small and repeated. All it has to do is shift the tiles. I don't think jittery scrolling is a memory issue. It's a programming issue.
That is completely correct in that case. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Joe Redifer

Extra memory could help, though.  Imagine if parts of the BG used animated tiles to simulate multiple layers for both up and down directions.  More memory would mean more animated tiles instead of just one or two repeated across the entire screen.  That way the screen wouldn't have to scroll one tile at a time and would be less jerky.

That would also mean a hell of a lot more artistic and programming work, though.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2008, 06:48 PMI don't think jittery scrolling is a memory issue. It's a programming issue.
The problem with that assumption is that it's too general from issues that are very specific.

There are many ways to do dynamic tile animation. Some have emphasis on memory restrictions, others on processing cycles required, and other still on bandwidth to vram transfer. It really depends on the effect and the cost of doing it via dynamic tiles. Dynamic tiles introduce other limitations in how the display is arranged.

If SCD memory is used, there are some methods to really decrease the choppiness of the scrolling in Ys 3. Hell - I'd even dumb the res down from 342x240 to 256x240 to further help it.

A little bit of info: Lords of Thunder uses dynamic tiles to simulate the lines scrolls in the stages, not hsync scrolls as you would normally think.

turbokon

I haven't played much ACD games.  Strider doesn't do it for me and the NEO GEO ports are ok but the one that makes owning a Arcade Card worth while for me is SAPPHIRE.  Such a eye candy and music to my ears.  However from want I been reading on this topic, kabuki itouryodan is way up there.  I never played it but I would to try.  This is not in Kadamose library.  Would any body else willing to sale me a CD-R copy of kabuki itouryodan? [-o<
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

TurboXray

Quote from: turbokonWould any body else willing to sale me a CD-R copy of kabuki itouryodan? [-o<
Why, is the game rare or something? I had bought for under $15 last year.

Edit: Also, you can get correct dumps from CD games from the PC Engine Entity HUB on DC++

OldRover

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/10/2008, 01:27 PMEdit: Also, you can get correct dumps from CD games from the PC Engine Entity HUB on DC++
...when it works again, you mean... ;)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/10/2008, 01:27 PMWhy, is the game rare or something?
no it isn't. but may be for some people still harder to get than an iso from the net.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Seldane

There are good ACD games?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Seldane on 02/10/2008, 02:18 PMThere are good ACD games?
is this question taken seriously?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

No. FM-77 is kind of a troll, from what I can see.
IMG

OldRover

FM-77 trolls in jest. Don't take his "trolling" too seriously because unlike a "real" troll, he doesn't believe the stuff he says...he just says it to play devil's advocate. :lol:

rag-time4

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/06/2008, 12:50 PMI am pretty much impressed with all the Neo ports except FF2. It was a good port but not as good as the other 3. I'm very pleased with Strider. I like it alot more then the Mega Drive version. Sapphire is a great game and all,but if you take out the special rendered fx/sprites the actual game itself barely competes with Spriggan in alot of areas. Spriggan is still the better shooter.
I'm gonna butt heads with michael on this one... I really liked FF2. I bought it new for $4.99 last year, and it's spent a lot of time in my car for the music!

I played a lot of this one in the arcade when it first came out, and most of the music sounds terrific, with the lone exception being Joe's music.

If you're a fan of FF2 you'll love this port.

If you're not a fan, the difficulty level will probably pwn you.

nat

I love FF2 for one-player gaming.

For multiplayer FF Special is a must though.

rag-time4

Quote from: nat on 02/13/2008, 02:01 AMI love FF2 for one-player gaming.

I'm totally biased because I played the hell out of FF2 in the arcade but never spent much time with Special.

Keranu

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/13/2008, 02:12 AM
Quote from: nat on 02/13/2008, 02:01 AMI love FF2 for one-player gaming.

I'm totally biased because I played the hell out of FF2 in the arcade but never spent much time with Special.
I agree with nat, gotta have Special for multiplayer. The boss characters rule.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineHell

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/13/2008, 01:59 AM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/06/2008, 12:50 PMI am pretty much impressed with all the Neo ports except FF2. It was a good port but not as good as the other 3. I'm very pleased with Strider. I like it alot more then the Mega Drive version. Sapphire is a great game and all,but if you take out the special rendered fx/sprites the actual game itself barely competes with Spriggan in alot of areas. Spriggan is still the better shooter.
I'm gonna butt heads with michael on this one... I really liked FF2. I bought it new for $4.99 last year, and it's spent a lot of time in my car for the music!

I played a lot of this one in the arcade when it first came out, and most of the music sounds terrific, with the lone exception being Joe's music.

If you're a fan of FF2 you'll love this port.

If you're not a fan, the difficulty level will probably pwn you.
Well its not butting heads,just what you prefer most. The thing is though FF2 doesn't run as smooth and is missing frames compared to the FF Special port,and the load times are not as fast if I remember right. Still,the port of FF 2 on PCE is far better then Genesis and Snes,easily,and still worth nabbing if you can get it for $5-10.00.

nat

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/13/2008, 02:42 AMStill,the port of FF 2 on PCE is far better then Genesis and Snes,easily,and still worth nabbing if you can get it for $5-10.00.
That's the best thing about FF2-- it's dirt cheap. I got a sealed copy for free a few years back from a case of 'em that was discovered at Hudson Japan... It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

td741

FFSpecial PCE does have the upperhand over FF2 PCE, that said... For some reason I prefer the soundtrack for FF2 over FFSpecial.  It might be that I owned FF2 PCE for longer the FFSpecial and I'm used to it sounding a certain way.  There are just some minor differences in the soundtrack that prevents me from enjoying FFSpecial. 

Hmm... Maybe I should attempt to make a FFSpecial disk with the FF2 redbook audio...

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/05/2008, 09:21 PM
Quote from: OldRover on 02/05/2008, 09:16 PMSuch feats are amazingly simple when you have such a huge memory pool to utilize. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome. :D
and also it doesn't change the fact, that such incredible and awesome looking effects where played by a tiny bastard 8-bit hardware made in '87.
Agreed- I was blown away when I played Saphire - "How'd they do that?" kept running through my head. For pure visual candy, I've seen nothing on the PC engine that comes close. Now bring on the "But have you seen X game??" posts...
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

rag-time4

Quote from: td741 on 02/13/2008, 01:26 PMFFSpecial PCE does have the upperhand over FF2 PCE, that said... For some reason I prefer the soundtrack for FF2 over FFSpecial.  It might be that I owned FF2 PCE for longer the FFSpecial and I'm used to it sounding a certain way.  There are just some minor differences in the soundtrack that prevents me from enjoying FFSpecial. 

Hmm... Maybe I should attempt to make a FFSpecial disk with the FF2 redbook audio...
In the few minutes I've spent with Special (I do own both ACD ports) I noticed this too. I prefer FF2's music to Special's so far.

geepee16

sapphire is indeed awesome and perhaps technically the best acd and because there are so few acd only games (we are talking about acd only games here, right?), it can have the gold medal for overall best.  i enjoyed all of the fighting games so much though with world heroes being my nostalgic fave.  i was never crazy about the wrestling games even though battlefield features a lot of american wrestlers.  the games were technical with tons of options but i never appreciated the depth they offered.  graphically, they are not that great and that was disappointing to me. unlike most, i had a gas with mad stalker even though the backgrounds in it just suck.  the gameplay of that title is just so cool. as for strider...i was never more determined in my life to beat a game than that one.  i was so excited when i did that i video taped it.  it pissed me off to no end for the difficulty of the last stage and its sloppy flickering but there was a lot in it to like also.  i have a feeling there is little on that disc to warrant the ACD as much of it could already be done on SCD. if you are intersted, i wrote a feature on all of the acd only titles which is still over at hudsonent.com.