How good of a deal is this?

Started by neokellyzero, 02/14/2008, 09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neokellyzero

I'm looking @ picking up an PC-FX and I'm pretty in tune with values on the PCE side, but I'm a bit lost on the pricing of PC-FX stuff.  This looks like a great deal, but I might be off.  What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350025072386&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=022

SuperDeadite

I'd say its average, none of the games are rare nor expensive but everything is boxed.  Its certainly not
a bargain, but if you're limited to ebay then its a fair deal.  The shipping seems a bit high from my
experience, but japan-games is a good guy to deal with.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

MissaFX

I personally value the auction, based on my ebay experiences to be at

160 for the hardware
200+ for the software

As far as FX stuff goes, I'd say it is a good deal.  It doesn't have action games, but it has some RPGs :D  It's pretty nice you get 2 controllers and a memory card as well.  The memory card can hold more than you should realistically need.  I have mine up to 57KB of storage and there is still more room to fill, many of the saves are under 1KB, however the occasional game requires 10-15KB of save space and most games will not load if you do not have enough free internal save ram to save (or already have a save on the internal memory).  The memory cards sure seem rarer than the FX systems themselves and you will shoot yourself if you accidently delete all your saves on the internal memory and do not have any backups.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

nat

I'm with SuperDeadite-- it's a fair deal, but not spectacular. That said, you could do faaaaaar worse on eBay. I say go for it.

Although like Missa said, you're gonna want to seek out some action games sooner or later.

EDIT: Hold on, didn't see the shipping. That's outrageous. I'd almost say pass now.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Rainbow_Bright

I think its a good deal, but uh what do I know? :) On various forums I keep hearing about how much systems and stuff go for in America ( I know this is from Japan), expected price to pay and things and it is so damn cheap compared to what we would have to spend in the U.K/Ireland.

Example- In America the Jaguar price got slashed to 150 dollars, in the U.K the price got slashed to 150 pounds (300 dollars)...

I also don't think the shipping is bad at all, maybe just because America is cheaper you guys think its expensive, whereas people in the U.K/Ireland wouldn't?

natethegreat82

I can vouch for Japan-Games. I got a PC-FX from him recently and I'm happy with it. It even came with a FX-BMP in the front expansion slot, though I'm not sure if the seller was aware of that! :lol:

SignOfZeta

Quote from: rainbow_bright on 03/08/2008, 06:42 PMI think its a good deal, but uh what do I know? :) On various forums I keep hearing about how much systems and stuff go for in America ( I know this is from Japan), expected price to pay and things and it is so damn cheap compared to what we would have to spend in the U.K/Ireland.

Example- In America the Jaguar price got slashed to 150 dollars, in the U.K the price got slashed to 150 pounds (300 dollars)...

I also don't think the shipping is bad at all, maybe just because America is cheaper you guys think its expensive, whereas people in the U.K/Ireland wouldn't?

Yeah, that's probably true, but back when the Jag was out GBP did not equal USDx2.
IMG

Rainbow_Bright

I tried to find the exchange rates for like 1996-8, no luck so far :) Would be interesting to know!

NecroPhile

Quote from: rainbow_bright on 03/09/2008, 09:09 AMI tried to find the exchange rates for like 1996-8, no luck so far :) Would be interesting to know!
A little net fishing yielded an answer: about $1.50 to the pound in '96 and about $1.60 to the pound in '97 - '98.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Rainbow_Bright