@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE ports with new features (?)

Started by goom, 02/16/2008, 10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goom

What are the PCE ports that have new and unique features over the originals and ports on other systems? Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of my information.

I'll get the list started.

Parodius Da! - New intro sequence. New special mode (an exclusive level with varying bosses based on your score).
The Ninja Warriors - You can choose the color of your costume.
Bikkuriman World - New sprites for main character, shop keepers, and bosses.
Gradius - New, exclusive level(s). I've never seen them though.
Puzznic - I'm not sure, but I think the PCE version has a buttload more stages than the other ports.
Ninja Spirit - PCE mode where you can take four hits before you die.
Mr. Heli no Daibouken - PCE mode - no idea what's different.
Cadash - New sprite designs. Tons of major and subtle gameplay differences. The PCE version feels more like a remake rather than a port.
Darius Plus - Should this be considered a port? Regardless, lots more levels and bosses.
Ninja Gaiden - New music.
Raiden - I've heard that this is more of a remake with different level layouts.
The Tower of Druaga - New graphics, items, levels (?); character stats system.

Any more to add?

Anyone have any info on Gokuraku! Chuuka Taisen? I'm pretty sure that it's an improvement over the original arcade game.

goom

Bloody Wolf - I'm positive that the PCE version has new features. I can't remember them though.  :-k

Marchen Maze - Game view changed from isometric to top-down.

rag-time4

Image Fight includes a code that lets you play as Mr. Heli, and also another code that lets you choose between the Arcade aspect ratio or a full screen aspect ratio...

rolins

Last Armageddon - Different logo & intro, and redone opening sequence. Some arranged music but a couple original tracks missing. Completely new world map and sprites. 3D dungeons is replaced with overhead dungeon crawling. Cutscenes have voice acting.

Super Raiden - has 2 extra stages and an ending.

rag-time4

I've heard that Shinobi had a few levels taken out for the PCE version...

Tatsujin

Quote from: goom on 02/16/2008, 10:26 PMRaiden - I've heard that this is more of a remake with different level layouts.
- raiden on hucard is almost identical with the arcade version.

- super raiden on scd has two extra stages.

:edit: oh, rolins already mentioned that super raiden thing^^"
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

Pretty much every port has something different that could be considered a new feature. I won't list games that mainly only have a CD version of the original soundtrack.

Sidearms Special: rearranged CD soundtrack, alternate BC version of the game.
Super Darius: new bosses
Super Darius II: new soundtrack, game is supposed to differ in other ways (I think its bosses again)
Bloody Wolf: has a whole new and improved soundtrack plus running and flying modes.
Street Fighter II CE: VS mode.
Golden Axe: cinemas and other new presentational features.
Double Dragon II: new graphics + cinemas
Altered Beast CD: intro 'cinema'
Strider: cinemas + 1 new stage
Aeroblasters: redrawn graphics + yellow ship intro + new stage 2 music + lots of tricks
Dragon's Curse: loses 99 Charm Stone warps, Tiger-Man, back-up saving, 60 fps.
Dynastic Hero: cinemas, new soundtrack, new character sprite, new bosses/characters.
Ys I - III: cinemas, new ingame character art.
Magical Chase TG-16: new sprite, new stage 1 bg, other visual differences.
Valis I & II: pretty much all different/new.
Popful Mail: enhanced visuals, new cinemas, voices.
Populous CD: Bomberman world.
Tiger Road: pretty much all different/new.

I don't think that Darius Plus added anything to the arcade version. Super Darius doesn't have new levels as far as I know, only unique bosses for each of the 26(the arcade and Darius Plus recycled bosses).

Chuka Taisen is supposed to be an overall different game than the arcade original.

Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/16/2008, 11:01 PMI've heard that Shinobi had a few levels taken out for the PCE version...
I believe that it is missing the bonus stages, unlike the rockin' SMS version. 8)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2008, 11:06 PM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 02/16/2008, 11:01 PMI've heard that Shinobi had a few levels taken out for the PCE version...
I believe that it is missing the bonus stages, unlike the rockin' SMS version. 8)
that's unfortunately right. shame on asmik, coz they did a very well job on the rest of the game.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

rag-time4

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/16/2008, 11:56 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/16/2008, 11:06 PM
that's unfortunately right. shame on asmik, coz they did a very well job on the rest of the game.
I SUCKED at those bonus stages!! GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!  =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;

Tatsujin

no i rememeber that the powerup system also wasn't ported to the PCE one.

SignOfZeta

Asukua %120 and Advanced VG have cinemas added and new playable characters compared to the computer versions. Also, the 6 button support.

In fact I'm sure that any game ported from PC98 or X68k is enhanced on PCE since most of that was on floppies as computer software, and would have had at least CD audio added for the PCE versions.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Bloody Wolf, the PCE version has twice as many levels as the arcade version!  When you play the arcade version, it ends at the point where you've saved the president.  But, since the arcade version is 2 players, you don't have to go & rescue the other character like in the PCE game.
IMG

GUTS

^^ Your sig is hilarious, who said that?  Reminds me of this ultra dumb-shit on the Shining Force Central boards whose sig says "LEGALIZE FREEDOM!" (also his username).  What the fuck does that even mean?  I love when people are trying to be profound or serious or something in their sigs and it just comes off as retarded.

OldRover

Here's one people missed:

Crest Of Wolf/Riot Zone - Area order greatly changed. New final boss.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Joe Redifer

Shinobi is missing the entire round 2 which consisted of 3 stages plus a boss fight with a helicopter.  Pisses me off because that's one of my favorite rounds.  The PCE sure could have used more MEGA POWER back then.  And yes, it is also missing the bonus stages.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: GUTS on 02/17/2008, 03:31 AM^^ Your sig is hilarious, who said that? 
I think it was Optimus Prime.
IMG

Tatsujin

wtf..the black turtle fight wasn't on the PCE version? :shock: don't remember that! but you have to know it, joe!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/17/2008, 08:31 AM
Quote from: GUTS on 02/17/2008, 03:31 AM^^ Your sig is hilarious, who said that? 
I think it was Optimus Prime.
Exactly, except, Prime said "beings", not "beans"  :D

Oh, & also I believe all the music in Riot Zone is different from the arcade version.
IMG

Keranu

For any SCD or ACD ports, I suppose you could technically include the fact that they come with a System Card error screen when used with a lower card format.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

goom

R-Type - The PCE version includes a boss for level 6 where the arcade version didn't have one.

TurboXray

Street Fighter 2 for PCE uses 10bit audio for the voice samples. Does that qualify as an entry?

JoshTurboTrollX

Faceball comes with 4 player Simultaneus gameplay!  Compared to the SNES' 2 player mode!!

Primative FPS on Turbo, but still a shit load of fun!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

is there a significant speed reduction while playing in the quater-screen mode? never did that^^"

guyjin

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/18/2008, 07:25 PMFaceball comes with 4 player Simultaneus gameplay!  Compared to the SNES' 2 player mode!!

I didn't know that, but that doesn't really suprise me. the SNES is slow as molasses, and even with just 2 players in faceball there's a lot of slowdown.

NecroPhile

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 02/18/2008, 07:25 PMFaceball comes with 4 player Simultaneus gameplay!  Compared to the SNES' 2 player mode!!

Man, I want this game.  Too bad you can't network 16 Duos for multi-player mayhem, as you could with the ST original and the Gameboy version.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

guyjin

I've always wondered if the non-express models have the hardware to do system links...