RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The reason we got into gaming in the first place!

Started by JoshTurboTrollX, 03/11/2008, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshTurboTrollX

Well, at least for me...What happened to me today happens maybe once or sometimes twice in a gamers lifetime.  I started out my day on a routine run to the grociery store to pick up a few things and I had passed by one of these local game shops, kind of like a gamestop but their big enough to still carry classic gaming stuff.  And I though what the hell, I have a minute to kill~

So I took a quick look around the shop and they had a decent sized looking Sega Genesis section and after looking around for a bit, I found a couple really excellent titles for $1.99 or .99 each!  Battletoads, Gunstar Heroes, and Alladin and a few others.  So I was like score!!  After grabbing a couple Pokemon cards for my kids I went to the checkout and bought the games, came to like $9 or something, totally awesome right- =)

then I looked up and saw a Sega Saturn for sale- In Box!! The Sign said 99.99 With 6 Controllers, four of them wireless and 35 games.  And I said HEY!  Can I see the games?  So the store manager says sure, and he hauls over this huge ass box filled nearly to the top.  After looking for about 2 seconds I decided I must have it!!  The guy behind the counter said, is there anything good in there, I said a couple things.  Of course I made the transaction as quickly as possible...lol

Now apparently A guy came in this morning and had traded in this collection for cash, for gas money none the less- The store only gave him $16 for the whole thing!!  I said I couldn't believe that!!  Then just as I was leaving the store, The store owner said that they guy is calling back now and says he wants to know if he could have it back for the $16.00 because his Wife is super pissed at him for selling a part of his collection.  Of course the Store clerk told him that was against company code, yadda yadda.

So anyway I got out to my car and started to spelunker down into the depths of this box.  The reason why I made the purchase with only looking for 2 seconds, was mainly because on the top I saw that most of these games are still SEALED!!  And the top three titles were Sonic 3D Blast, NiGHTS, and Rayman!!  Now after going deeper and deeper It was sad that many of these games were sports titles, but I would say about 25 of the 35 games are still sealed!!  Decathalete, Teris Plus, Road Rash, and TONS more goodies all SEALED.  Nice thing is a few of these titles- 8 to be exact are doubles in my collection now- so off to eBay they go to hopefully make back the $100 I spent today..lol

Anyway- now for the Pics-
IMG
This was the motherload- this was what was all in the box all prettied up for a display pic!!  YAY!

IMG
The Original Reciept that was still in the box along wth........

IMG
A warranty from Magnavox from 1998!

Turns out most of these items- Including an absolutely amazing Arcade Stick has barely been out of the casings, or maybe never opened!!

IMG
But alas it must be opened!!!  LOL

IMG
Heres a pic of my son playing with it in his Pajamas!

So , the next time you drive past one of those used video game shops, it never hurts to take a look just in case!!!  I will be busy for quite sometime with this collection!!!

Also- would anyone be willing to make any offers for the Sealed NiGHTS, if not, I will probably eBay it later tonight.

Thanks for reading this long assed post!!

PS: all has been play tested and totally works- the Controllers still have that new console smell and everything!!!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

nat

Holy fucking shit dude, someone just had the worst day of their life while you scored big at their expense. That guy must have been on drugs and needed his fix bad for him to do that. All that for $16 worth of gas? That's like 4 gallons these days, I call bullshit (not on you, on his "gas" story).

Tell me what you've been doing lately to get that kind of karma kickback. I need to start doing whatever it is.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

I know that this will never happen to me.

It's simply too incredible.

You lucky mother******!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: nat on 03/11/2008, 08:17 PMHoly fucking shit dude, someone just had the worst day of their life while you scored big at their expense. That guy must have been on drugs and needed his fix bad for him to do that. All that for $16 worth of gas? That's like 4 gallons these days, I call bullshit (not on you, on his "gas" story).

Tell me what you've been doing lately to get that kind of karma kickback. I need to start doing whatever it is.
I can't but feel bad for the guy who sold his collection like that, but I guess I wouldn't feel bad if he was cheating on his wife and needed the money to fool around with some girl or something...

Turbostar, it really seems that you were blessed to get hooked up like this... try to have that other guy in your heart somewhere because obviously he lost a lot of money that was tied into the value of that stuff.

JoshTurboTrollX

Image of the new receipt of today's transaction--->

IMG

As for Karma, I have no idea- Just been working and hanging with my family.....
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: rag-time4 on 03/11/2008, 08:34 PM
Quote from: nat on 03/11/2008, 08:17 PMHoly fucking shit dude, someone just had the worst day of their life while you scored big at their expense. That guy must have been on drugs and needed his fix bad for him to do that. All that for $16 worth of gas? That's like 4 gallons these days, I call bullshit (not on you, on his "gas" story).

I can't but feel bad for the guy who sold his collection like that, but I guess I wouldn't feel bad if he was cheating on his wife and needed the money to fool around with some girl or something...

Turbostar, it really seems that you were blessed to get hooked up like this... try to have that other guy in your heart somewhere because obviously he lost a lot of money that was tied into the value of that stuff.
I do!!  I know if I was hard up for cash (Which I have in the past) and did something like this(and I did) I would feel pretty shitty.  He did get most of those games for a deal though.  Most of those still sealed games- had stickers from JC Penny's that said 3/9.99 .

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

Great score dude  =D> How come no pic of the pokemon figure?
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

PCEngineHell

This is like the lucky score I made a couple of weeks back. I nabbed  a Saturn,Sega Steering Wheel,Sega arcade stick,2 controllers (1 new style,1 old style,) 2 Sega Stunners,and around 13 games I think it was. I got it all for 60 bucks even from a guy close by my work. The system was very clean,popped it open to see if it was clean inside too,it was. The grease on the laser was still white and not moved much,so the system prob had maybe 20-30 hrs on it at the most,if even that.

Everything was in top shape except for a few of the games that the person themselves got used. The games they bought new was in good condition. Nothing special about the games though worth mentioning except Virtua Cop 2 and Command and Conquer was in the deal. What games did you score as a double Josh? I might be interested.... After my deal with Nectarsis I have  a extra WD Sega Ages disc myself I may get rid of along with a US copy of Nightwarriors Darkstalkers Revenge. I also have a 4n1 cart near new Im thinking of parting with too. Good cart if you need 4 Meg or 1 Meg,GameShark or system back up save function,but I just don't need it as I have two 4 Meg carts,one 1 Meg cart,and a memory cart. Kinda considering selling a Stunner off too,not sure if I need 2 of them yet.

Its hard to getting around to selling the spare stuff off,because the stuff is still nice to have just to make your collection larger.

Tatsujin

simple story short told. i was damn fascinated by those more and more upcoming so called deticated arcade machines back in the late 70s early 80s in all the restaurants etc. when i was about 4~5yrs old. since then i was doomed to those machines and anything further which came.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

Well at first I was thinking about how terrible it was that you bird dogged some poor dude's Saturn collection just to sell it on eBay for profit like some sort of pond sucking scum, but if these games aren't even opened then the gasoholic guy was obviously a total douchebag too.

Are sealed US Saturn games worth more than a nickel and a Ziplock bag full of dog poop anyway? Ever since I can remember US Saturn stuff was near worthless unless it was maybe Guardian Heroes or Bomberman. Aside from the horrible cover art there is an enormous social stigma attached to those ultra huge boxes which are broken something like %50 of the time.

Hell, the completely *insane* prices people pay for shitty TG-16 versions of PCE games has been nuts for years now. Maybe that craziness will spread to the Saturn too and I can sell my mint copy of Gen War for big bucks!

Just kidding...

...I don't own Gen War.

Anyway, now that I have my Digger rampage out of the way, I'll state my opinion of this collection as a total Saturn freak.

The joystick is a huge piece of shit, especially when compared to the Virtua Stick Pro, which is the mutt's nuts. Also it was a hella clearance item commonly availible for $10 new in 1998. I feel sorry for the people that imported the JP version for $70. It isn't worth the space it occupies, which is considerable. In fact, virtually all US Saturn hardware was availible for blow-out cheap for years. Places like Target liquidated Saturn systems, controllers, and multi-taps for almost nothing.

The Eclipse pad actually isn't that bad...except when compared to the standard Saturn pad (early US, or "JP style").

I've never used the wireless pads.

The last time I checked a US copy of Nights, sealed or otherwise, is pretty worthless. Although a fan favorite, it was a huge commercial flop. Up until a year or two ago eBay used to be flooded with "NiGHTS x/ controller" bundles for $10-20". I bought one on clearance at Meijer's back in the day for $5.99 or something like that. The JP versions go for slightly more, but I think if you had EU, US, and JP versions of both NiGHTS, and Christmas NiGHTS you'd be lucky to get $50 for them.

If this lot when to a player then I'd say it was a decent deal, but for someone just looking to hoard a bunch of crap and maybe make a quick buck (which is evidently the reason you got into games, you didn't really say) on eBay... most of this stuff will cost more to ship than it will to buy.

I think getting Aladdin or Gunstar for $2 was the actual killer deal of the day.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Yes,most sealed US games don't go for much more then the unsealed stuff. It usually only makes $1-3 difference.
Nights gets around $10-15 new unless newbs bid on it. The only really valued sealed titles are the WD titles,the other RPGs,a few of the Capcom titles,In the Hunt,Darius Gaiden,Last Bronx,Fighters Megamix,House of the Dead,Burning Rangers,Shinobi Legions,and Galactic Attack.

guyjin

wow, good for you! I feel bad for the guy who traded it in though.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/11/2008, 10:18 PMWell at first I was thinking about how terrible it was that you bird dogged some poor dude's Saturn collection just to sell it on eBay for profit like some sort of pond sucking scum, but if these games aren't even opened then the gasoholic guy was obviously a total douchebag too!
Awesome!  I'm a douchebag!

Go fuck yourself!

The only items I plan on selling on eBay are doubles I have in my collection-  http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZgamescapeonline
I start all auctions @ $.99 and of course have no reserve.

BTW- Thanks for all your input SignofZits, I'll be sure to log that away with any other shit posts you make....   :roll:

Keranu

That was a awesome story! I still feel bad for the guy only getting $16 for it.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

nat

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/12/2008, 12:21 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/11/2008, 10:18 PMWell at first I was thinking about how terrible it was that you bird dogged some poor dude's Saturn collection just to sell it on eBay for profit like some sort of pond sucking scum, but if these games aren't even opened then the gasoholic guy was obviously a total douchebag too!
Awesome!  I'm a douchebag!

Go fuck yourself!
Chill out dude.

Do I need to send you guys to the corner to take a time out?
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

guyjin

PCEngineHell

Ugg,yea you got all the average titles. Was hoping there was going to be a D or Lunacy there :P Oh well. Good luck on the auctions :)

Btw,what happened to balls out support of Game Gavel? :P
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/05/2008, 09:01 PMLOL-
The only way that will happen is if people like you help......
If your worried about selling too cheap just take it one item at a time, as time goes by I'm sure business will pick up.
You say all that but now you list new sealed Saturn games on ebay.   :lol:

Kitsunexus

Dude, wow...that was really fucking depressing. I mean I'm happy for you, it's just that selling a MASSIVE collection like that for gas, or for whatever the fuck he wanted, damn. I hope I'm never in his position.

You're seriously in karma's favor though, congrats!
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

NecroPhile

Nice score!  =D&gt;

Don't worry about the clown who sold this lot; he's a big boy and can make his own decisions, no matter how stupid (like selling his collection for peanuts, or getting married).  Besides, the store owner is the one that should be ashamed of paying the meth head less than 1/6th of what they sold it for.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/11/2008, 10:18 PMIf this lot when to a player then I'd say it was a decent deal, but for someone just looking to hoard a bunch of crap and maybe make a quick buck (which is evidently the reason you got into games, you didn't really say) on eBay... most of this stuff will cost more to ship than it will to buy.
You say that everything he bought is essentially worthless, so how in the fuck can you call him a profiteer?  By your murky logic, turbo D won't be able to recoup his $100 cost anyway, so why don't you go eat a big bowl of bran flakes to help flush out your shitty attitude.  :wink:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MissaFX

The reason I got into gaming is that my father gave my sister the option of having a Sega Mastersystem or a NES for christmas when they were bleeding new.  No Mario/Duckhunt cart, it came with Super Mario Brothers on one cart and Duck Hunt on another.  It was some kind of System + Gun set they sold at Christmas time because they didn't have enough robots to make 3 packs.  Sometimes I miss having the crappy robot, but only because I want to put it on my desk.

Well anyways from that you can guess we choose the NES.  Annoyingly my father mostly played the NES for the first month, but after that my sister and I got to play it a lot learning with SMB and DH, eventually moving on to games like Stinger and Zelda.  When Zelda came out, I remember it being a hard sell to my dad, because the store clerk was insistant that it was too complex a game for little children.  What a moron that guy was.  I was by far better at it than my father was.  I think the clerk just wanted to feel good about himself though because the game had probably beaten his butt.

With the NES came a subscription to the NES Fun Club.  I still have a few issues of it, like the Zelda issue.  But sadly I have no idea where my membership card ended up.  If I did, I'd have that in the first credit card slot for everyone to see to this day.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Missa on 03/12/2008, 10:17 AMSometimes I miss having the crappy robot, but only because I want to put it on my desk.
Yeah, I wish I still had the robot.  :(

I got into gaming from the arcades. I always loved trying to beat high scores.  :mrgreen: Then when the 2600 came out, my brother and I would compete endlessly for the high score on games like Berzerk. I would come home from school and the little TV (and I mean little. We used a small camcorder TV monitor. Really small, but awesome resolution.) would be left on with a new high score.  #-o Good times.

Now I game for that reason and a little bit of nostalgia. All in all, I love a good challenge.  :)
IMG

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 03/12/2008, 10:08 AMNice score!  =D&gt;

Don't worry about the clown who sold this lot; he's a big boy and can make his own decisions, no matter how stupid (like selling his collection for peanuts, or getting married).  Besides, the store owner is the one that should be ashamed of paying the meth head less than 1/6th of what they sold it for.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/11/2008, 10:18 PMIf this lot when to a player then I'd say it was a decent deal, but for someone just looking to hoard a bunch of crap and maybe make a quick buck (which is evidently the reason you got into games, you didn't really say) on eBay... most of this stuff will cost more to ship than it will to buy.
Completely true,guy fucked up or simply didn't care enough to keep the stuff,so its his issue,not Turbostars.

You say that everything he bought is essentially worthless, so how in the fuck can you call him a profiteer?  By your murky logic, turbo D won't be able to recoup his $100 cost anyway, so why don't you go eat a big bowl of bran flakes to help flush out your shitty attitude.  :wink:
Completely true,guy fucked up or simply didn't care enough to keep the stuff,so its not Turbostars issue.
There is no reason at all to try to lay  a guilt trip on Turbostar,and the new sealed games hes selling are worth about $7-10 each,and he may get lucky enough and get more since he listed the stuff on ebay. Good luck and more power to him I say,just so long as I don't hear any more crap about Game Gavel support from him. :wink:.

Ceti Alpha

QuoteCompletely true,guy fucked up or simply didn't care enough to keep the stuff,so its not Turbostars issue.
There is no reason at all to try to lay  a guilt trip on Turbostar,and the new sealed games hes selling are worth about $7-10 each,and he may get lucky enough and get more since he listed the stuff on ebay. Good luck and more power to him I say,just so long as I don't hear any more crap about Game Gavel support from him. Wink.
Yeah, if you feel bad for the guy who sold the stuff for gas or whatever, then never buy stuff at pawnshops. People sell stuff for stupid reasons all the time. I remember seeing a Turbo Duo for sale on eBay and the guy said he was selling it because he was getting married. ugh..Good luck with that marriage.  :roll:
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/12/2008, 11:14 AMThen when the 2600 came out, my brother and I would compete endlessly for the high score on games like Berzerk. I would come home from school and the little TV (and I mean little. We used a small camcorder TV monitor. Really small, but awesome resolution.) would be left on with a new high score.  #-o Good times.
Yeah, Berzerk was one of my favorites for the 2600. Never thought to have high score contests like you did, though.

TR0N

My memory is fuzzy on that..but to me it was the arcades that got me hook on gaming playing games like pac-man,dragons lair and donkey kong.

Wich did lead me to consoles such as the,Atari 2600 to current being the wii.

Looking at it now times sure have changed since then.Arcades of the old,are dead and consoles have become the choice for playing video games.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

nat

I was never really into arcades, even though when I got into gaming (NES days) arcades were big still. We just didn't have any really good ones I could get to via "kid transportation" (biking, walking, etc). Plus, I've always been really really cheap and I always had better things to spend my money on than dumping quarters for credits.

Kitsunexus

Much like many important things in my life, I got too wrapped up in the reason I got into gaming, and now I can't remember it. Because of this, I'm not getting enjoyment out of gaming.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Turbo D

I was a broke kid whose parents wouldn't take him to the arcade :x
IMG IMG
IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/12/2008, 11:14 AMYeah, I wish I still had the robot.  :(

I got into gaming from the arcades. I always loved trying to beat high scores. 
I never had the NES Robot  :(

But as for arcades, I LOVED beating all the older guys at the original Street Fighter... I usually could, too! (I was 7 when it came out)

Turbo D

That robot was and still is a POS! lol. He never did what I told him to do. Pssh, robotic operating buddy mah ash. Anyways, he is retired from playing Gyromite for now. He now resides as a security guard for my turbo collection.

IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

couldn't pick a better guard. he kicks ass in brawl.

I want to get a ROB one day, but I fear finding a working one will be nigh unto impossible. which leaves repairing one, which is probably beyond my meager skills. Anyone know if there is a guide to fixing these things?

Keranu

I found ROB at a thrift store once that didn't have discs and stuff, but for some stupid reason I still passed it up :( .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Turbo D

Now who will defend your turbo collection keranu?
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: turbo D on 03/14/2008, 05:34 AMNow who will defend your turbo collection keranu?
I defend it myself because I'm SPITFIRE SPIKE.
IMG

Joe Redifer

If ROB never does what you told him to do, you probably don't want him guarding your TG-16 collection.

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/14/2008, 01:11 PMIf ROB never does what you told him to do, you probably don't want him guarding your TG-16 collection. 
Zing! :lol:

rolins

R.O.B? That hunk of junk is even more useless than the virtual boy. I would know because for XMAS '88 I was given a NES package with ROB, Stack-Up, Gyromite, and Duck-Hunt.

Aside from Duck-Hunt, the other two games were garbage. Gyromite was mildly fun with a buddy, and Stack-Up was virtually unplayable. To this day I still couldn't figure out how to play Stack-Up, and I read the manual front to back a million times.

I sold my R.O.B set for hefty $306 on ebay in 2002. Good times.

Turbo D

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/14/2008, 01:11 PMIf ROB never does what you told him to do, you probably don't want him guarding your TG-16 collection. 
I heard rumors that he poked peoples eyes out instead of playing Gyromite. I'm hoping he'll do that to intruders. I hope he doesn't get me though  8-[
IMG IMG
IMG