OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Bomberman 64 (JP version)

Started by nat, 03/27/2008, 12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

I just learned about this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberman_64_(2001_video_game)

It is an entirely different game than the US N64 Bomberman games, and it's actually an "oldschool" 2D Bomberman game! None of that 3D bullshit. It wasn't released at all in the US. How did I miss this for the past 7 years?

Does anyone here have this game? Is it any good? I've been searching on eBay since I learned about it but it hasn't popped up for sale once. Anyone know what I can expect to pay for a copy?
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

Hey the first 3D Bomberman 64 was awesome.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

WHAAA?!?!?!?!?! Now I too must own it!!!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

Quote from: Keranu on 03/27/2008, 12:35 AMHey the first 3D Bomberman 64 was awesome.
Fuck that, Bomberman should never, ever be 3D. That aside, have you ever played (or heard of) the game I'm referring to?

Quote from: turbo D on 03/27/2008, 12:36 AMWHAAA?!?!?!?!?! Now I too must own it!!!
Good thing I'm not the only one who has never heard of it. I feel a little better now.

EDIT: Here's a video of it. Too bad the author spends half the fucking length of the video staring at the title screen. Way to go, damjen666.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

Quote from: nat on 03/27/2008, 12:37 AM
Quote from: Keranu on 03/27/2008, 12:35 AMHey the first 3D Bomberman 64 was awesome.
Fuck that, Bomberman should never, ever be 3D. That aside, have you ever played (or heard of) the game I'm referring to?
I agree that Bomberman 64 (1997) had a crappy battle mode, but the single player mode was great. Haven't heard of this newer one you are referring to, but thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

Never before heard of this slice of awesomeness.  Thanks for sharing.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

guyjin

Me either.

But not all 3D bombermans have sucked - Bomberman Online for the Dreamcast was pretty good.

CrackTiger

The Nintendo 64 is now officially worth owning. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SNKNostalgia

What kills me is that the N64 could have been the greatest 2D cart based game system of all time. The 2D was pretty much unlimited when compared to the PS1 or even the Saturn. What if they did perfect 2D arcade ports of Capcom and SNK Neo Geo games? This is something I always thought about. The later games even went up to 512Mb (Mega Bits of course) and could have gone higher.

Mischief Makers was the first game to make me realize the WOW factor of its 2D capabilities. I do remember Mortal Kombat Trilogy being a poor excuse of game programming. This makes me want to make a good 2D game list for the system. Also, remember Resident Evil 2 for it (which is 512Mb)? That impressed the hell out of me during its time. Why oh why couldn't they have done an arcade perfect version of Killer Instinct 1? There is just no excuse.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 03/27/2008, 12:37 AM

Quote from: turbo D on 03/27/2008, 12:36 AMWHAAA?!?!?!?!?! Now I too must own it!!!
Good thing I'm not the only one who has never heard of it. I feel a little better now.

EDIT: Here's a video of it. Too bad the author spends half the fucking length of the video staring at the title screen. Way to go, damjen666.
Holy crap X2! I didn't know about this either! You know, someone might have pointed this out in the past, my goddam brain never processed the information.

So, are there any verdicts on the game itself? I'm sure it is a decent game, but...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

Quote from: esteban on 03/29/2008, 08:23 AMHoly crap X2! I didn't know about this either! You know, someone might have pointed this out in the past, my goddam brain never processed the information.

So, are there any verdicts on the game itself? I'm sure it is a decent game, but...
Dunno. So far everyone here hasn't heard of it, either. I'm shocked. I plan on tracking down a copy just as quick as I can.

I'll give a detailed report at that time.

CrackTiger

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 03/29/2008, 05:04 AMWhat kills me is that the N64 could have been the greatest 2D cart based game system of all time. The 2D was pretty much unlimited when compared to the PS1 or even the Saturn. What if they did perfect 2D arcade ports of Capcom and SNK Neo Geo games? This is something I always thought about. The later games even went up to 512Mb (Mega Bits of course) and could have gone higher.

Mischief Makers was the first game to make me realize the WOW factor of its 2D capabilities. I do remember Mortal Kombat Trilogy being a poor excuse of game programming. This makes me want to make a good 2D game list for the system. Also, remember Resident Evil 2 for it (which is 512Mb)? That impressed the hell out of me during its time. Why oh why couldn't they have done an arcade perfect version of Killer Instinct 1? There is just no excuse.
How do you know that N64's 2D was "pretty much unlimited when compared to the PS1 or even the Saturn"?

Is it just because the N64 is cart based? The Saturn also has a cart slot and could have been the greatest 2D cart based game system of all time.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

QuoteHow do you know that N64's 2D was "pretty much unlimited when compared to the PS1 or even the Saturn"?

Is it just because the N64 is cart based? The Saturn also has a cart slot and could have been the greatest 2D cart based game system of all time.
Well the biggest limitation with the PS and Saturn (the actual greatest 2D system of all time) was the combination of games on CDROM and very little RAM. The 4MB *greatly* alleviated this problem so its not a crazy thing to assume that if games were released on giant carts then you could see stuff like Street Fighter III on Saturn or N64 with zero compromise. The Saturn never saw giant carts though, and the N64 never saw an epic 2D game.

Truthfully though the N64 had so few games with good 2D in them that its not %100 certain that it could have been a great platform for stuff like Princess Crown, SFIII, or Super Robot Wars Alpha even if there wasn't a secret Nintendo/Freemason policy against it. The best example of high grade 2D on N64 I can think of isn't Yuke Yuke Troublemakers (which is barely SNES grade most of the time) but rather the main character in Wonder Project J2. When I got J2 and saw how well animated the main character was, I at once began thinking that the N64 could be a great system for 2D fighters because the huge cart sizes would easily accommodate the CPS2/MVS norms. In the end a decent fighting game was never released for the N64 (KI wouldn't have solved this, btw, KI is pretty much Boost Mobile the video game, and sucks) so we'll never know for sure until someone makes a Neo Geo emulator for N64.

As for this B-Man game, I actually do remember it being announced and knowing it was real 2D, but sold my N64 years before and never looked back so I didn't get a chance to pay 7800 yen or whatever just to get another in a long line of B-Man games that isn't as good as '94 or SS.
IMG