@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Can you post pictures?  I wonder why they'd be impossible to see.  Perhaps you need some resistors on those lines.

CGQuarterly

No, it's because of the different color palettes.  There is at least one other NES game that get affected by the dark grey/black palette problem.

I'll post a pic for you, though. 

Chris

Joe Redifer

Does the Famicom Titler system suffer from this same changed palette?

CGQuarterly

IMG

No road and sidewalk = no bueno.

Sorry about the glare and wavy lines.  I didn't take the pic straight-on, used a point & shoot, and have my window drapes open a little bit.

Chris

CGQuarterly

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/07/2012, 08:05 PMDoes the Famicom Titler system suffer from this same changed palette? 
I'm not sure.  From what I've read, it even varies from RGB PPU to RGB PPU, depending on what game you get it from.  My PPU came out of a vs. Duck Hunt board.  I've read that a Mario Bros (or Super Mario Bros - don't remember) vs. board has the PPU with the most accurate palette, compared to a NES, but I don't know that for a fact.

Chris

Joe Redifer

WOW, that's messed up.  Thanks for posting that.  And moire is hard to get rid of when taking pictures of a TV screen so don't sweat it.

dingsbums

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/07/2012, 06:22 PMWait, what?  How did you get RGB out of an NES/Famicom?
As far as I know this guy was the originator of the RGB Mod:
http://playoffline.wordpress.com/mod/nesrgb/
Markus knows his stuff for the NES RGB Mod as it is one of the harder mods to do.

He modded my AV Famicom also. The RGB PPU I got from another guy. You can't just use any PPU - it has to be a specific one. The PPU alone cost me 80 Euro.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/07/2012, 08:05 PMDoes the Famicom Titler system suffer from this same changed palette?
From the get go the Famicom Titler has no RGB out. But it has the right PPU built in to make the RGB mod. And when you have done the mod the colour palette will be the changed one.

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/07/2012, 07:55 PMI have an RGB-modded NES as well, and the second level of Castlevania is one of the few serious victims of the differing color palette, as it turns the maroon backgrounds into hot pink.  

It also makes Paperboy damned near impossible to play, as you can no longer see the road (including the gutters and storm drains).

Chris
Yeah a few games will suffer from changed colour palettes. On most games it's really slightly changed but there are some exceptions like Paperboy & Totally Rad. As far as I know The Immortal does not work at all.

PS @ Joe Redifer:
I love your Game Sack channel on Youtube  =D>.

SuperDeadite

By strange twist of fate, I have acquired a Car Marty.  I had to get creative with the PSU ( I modified a Gamecube power brick lol)!  and it's fully working, plays games without a hitch.  So I can finally play the 32-bit version of Shadow of the Beast (has boot issues with my FM Towns Fresh sadly).  Some people say this version is too "cartoony" because of all the pretty colors.  But I think it looks amazing personally, really smooth, and I like the extra cut-scenes.

IMG
IMG
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TheClash603

Very cool Mr. Super D.  FM Towns is the one system I truly regret not owning, but it is quite pricey so I force myself to stay away.

Frank_fjs

Cool Car Marty!

I've always wanted to delve into the FM Towns but the expense really puts me off. :(

There's a cheap non-working one on eBay too, I thought about placing a bid but it looks like it will need some work to get going.

Mathius

Really cool! Is it just me or does that version of Shadow look zoomed in?

Ji-L87

Very nice! I've seen those units on eBay for stupid prices :P Any noteworthy differences compared to the more normal home computers, aside from the super compact casing?
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

SuperPlay

New Bits:

Hu: PC Genjin 3 Taikenban
CD: Avenger, Shanghai III - Dragon's Eye
TGX: Dungeon Master, Mysterious Song (Looking forward to playing this one)

IMG
IMG
IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 09/08/2012, 02:05 PMVery nice! I've seen those units on eBay for stupid prices :P Any noteworthy differences compared to the more normal home computers, aside from the super compact casing?
It has a custom boot screen, and of course has anttenna connections since it's primary function is a GPS Navi device.  Other then that, it's basically a Marty with an external floppy drive.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Sparky

I am lucky finding stuff but nver tg16.
Got a vadarr system &  games :)

IMG

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

chany60126

Made some cool finds while garage sale hunting today. The Twilight Zone collection was sealed.
IMG

Mishran

TR0N

Quote from: chany60126 on 09/08/2012, 11:22 PMMade some cool finds while garage sale hunting today. The Twilight Zone collection was sealed.
IMG
Nice,interesting enough the original leisure suit larry is gonna be getting a remake by it's creator.
Also he's gonna be on the next allgengamers podcast.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PikachuWarrior

Goodwill:

Dragonball Z Budokai 1: PS2 $3.50
Dragonball Z Budokai 3: PS2 $3.50

Fable: The Lost Chapters: Xbox: $3.00
Simpson's Road Rage: Xbox: $3.00

Both Budokai games have heavy scratches, so I'm going to take them to a disc resurfacing joint to see if that helps (I don't have a ps2 to test at this very moment either)
IMG

Flare65

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2012, 08:37 PMI am lucky finding stuff but nver tg16.

IMG
Very nice find!  I spent a lot of my childhood playing those games.  I loved H.E.R.O!

bartre

NOTHING - my car just died, so i gotta replace that asap.

BlueBMW

Quote from: bartre on 09/09/2012, 06:23 PMNOTHING - my car just died, so i gotta replace that asap.
Fix eet!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

bartre

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/09/2012, 06:34 PM
Quote from: bartre on 09/09/2012, 06:23 PMNOTHING - my car just died, so i gotta replace that asap.
Fix eet!
not worth it, well into the four figures to fix it, maybe a $1200 car.

PikachuWarrior

Picture: /20120909184534.jpg

Okay, at Half Price Books:

Game Genie (Genesis): $3.00
Metroid Pinball (DS): $8.00
Quest 64 Guide (N64): $5.00
Network Adapter (PS2): $4.00

Thrift Store:

Web Browser (DS): $6.00
At the same store, also got both Budokai games (1 and 3 for PS2) buffed so now the discs are like brand new! ($3 a disc)

Goodwill:

Nintendo 64 bundle for $16.00
-Came with the system (and expansion pak!), atomic purple controller, gray controller, ac adapter, a rumble pak, and the crappy RF cable

Ready to Rumble Boxing (Dreamcast): $3.00
Interact Fission Fishing Controller (Dreamcast): $2.00
Playstation 2 Slim console: $10.00

Hoping the PS2 slim works. Going to sell the N64 bundle and should make a decent amount back. The PS2 network adapter's online prices have gone down A LOT since I last sold one a year or so ago. Overall, not a bad day.
IMG

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2012, 08:37 PMI am lucky finding stuff but nver tg16.

IMG
I love when a collection comes with some original storage cases/racks.  I loved seeing games stored in those things.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

SMF

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 09/09/2012, 09:44 PM

IMG
SPIDER FIGHTER!!! Loved that game as a kid.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

TR0N

Got a vadarr system &  games :)

IMG
Good find on the 2600 vader  :wink: Are you gonna av mod it ? Because it would be better then just using RF.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

liquitek

Got a couple interesting items on the weekend.  Not gaming related but when I saw them I just couldn't pass them up.
The cover price on the 68-69 is 9 pence and the 79 cup final is 50p.  The guy I bought them from had quite a few from the 60s to the early 80s.

68-69.jpg 1979.jpg

Nando

CGQuarterly

Quote from: Nando on 09/10/2012, 12:07 PMblowing bubbles! 
Isn't that the punchline to a Michael Jackson joke? I can't remember the joke, though...

Chris

Nando

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/10/2012, 12:25 PM
Quote from: Nando on 09/10/2012, 12:07 PMblowing bubbles! 
Isn't that the punchline to a Michael Jackson joke? I can't remember the joke, though...

Chris
ZING OF THE DAY!!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWLL!!

bob

What's the difference between acne and Michael Jackson?

Acne comes on your face AFTER the age of 13.

Nando

Quote from: galam on 09/10/2012, 05:58 PMWhat's the difference between acne and Michael Jackson?

Acne comes on your face AFTER the age of 13.
HAH!

And now for something completely different.

Got these from Mothergunner. They are like new in every sense.

IMG

liquitek

A couple of beauties you got there Nando!

Nando

Quote from: liquitek on 09/11/2012, 09:38 AMA couple of beauties you got there Nando!
Playing those bad boys today!

turbokon

Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

syphic

Picked these 2 lots up a couple of weeks ago. The Turbo Grafx with Booster lot was a barter trade for some junk DJ lights that werent worth shit. The guy was a crackhead and maybe wanted to throw parties?  The Sega CD with 32Xwith all games and controllers were $100 on Craigslist. Best titles, Robo Aleste, Lunar, Final Fight CD, & 2 copies of Sonic CD.

/l.jpg
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

SMF

Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

xcrement5x

Quote from: syphic on 09/13/2012, 02:35 AMPicked these 2 lots up a couple of weeks ago. The Turbo Grafx with Booster lot was a barter trade for some junk DJ lights that werent worth shit. The guy was a crackhead and maybe wanted to throw parties?  The Sega CD with 32Xwith all games and controllers were $100 on Craigslist. Best titles, Robo Aleste, Lunar, Final Fight CD, & 2 copies of Sonic CD.

/l.jpg
Terminator is also very good, and most people don't realize this but NovaStorm is pretty uncommon and kind of hard to come by.  Nice lots :)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DejahThoris

Today I picked up:
Sega Genesis for $10 with all cables and two controllers.

Paid for Pier Solar (now I just need to find a Model 1 Sega CD).

Pre-ordered a Wii-U.

Arranged a trade of a terrible old digital camera I have for an SNES2 and 13 games.

Pretty good day.

syphic

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2012, 05:42 PM
Quote from: syphic on 09/13/2012, 02:35 AMPicked these 2 lots up a couple of weeks ago. The Turbo Grafx with Booster lot was a barter trade for some junk DJ lights that werent worth shit. The guy was a crackhead and maybe wanted to throw parties?  The Sega CD with 32Xwith all games and controllers were $100 on Craigslist. Best titles, Robo Aleste, Lunar, Final Fight CD, & 2 copies of Sonic CD.

/l.jpg
Terminator is also very good, and most people don't realize this but NovaStorm is pretty uncommon and kind of hard to come by.  Nice lots :)
I havent had a chance to go through the rest of the games since i took this picture and totally overlooked that title. Damn this lot was pretty rad!
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

syphic

Quote from: DejahThoris on 09/13/2012, 08:50 PMToday I picked up:

Pre-ordered a Wii-U.

Arranged a trade of a terrible old digital camera I have for an SNES2 and 13 games.

Pretty good day.
Although the model 1 sega cd looks sexier, go with the model 2. Much more reliable although ugly. I have 2 model 1's and they are very random. Both trays have issues from time to time.

Mathius

Quote from: syphic on 09/13/2012, 09:21 PM

Pre-ordered a Wii-U.

Pretty good day.
Although the model 1 sega cd looks sexier, go with the model 2. Much more reliable although ugly. I have 2 model 1's and they are very random. Both trays have issues from time to time.
I've always heard the opposite where Model 1s are the more reliable unit.

chany60126

Quote from: Mathius on 09/13/2012, 09:35 PM
Quote from: syphic on 09/13/2012, 09:21 PM

Pre-ordered a Wii-U.

Pretty good day.
I've always heard the opposite where Model 1s are the more reliable unit.
Well, the cd tray can get misaligned (ie tray won't close properly) and/or the belt can get worn. I had chop repair mine, and now it's as good as new. The model one looks real nice. :)

DejahThoris

Quote from: chany60126 on 09/13/2012, 09:50 PMWell, the cd tray can get misaligned (ie tray won't close properly) and/or the belt can get worn. I had chop repair mine, and now it's as good as new. The model one looks real nice. :)
Is there one that's more reliable than the other as far as actual playback is concerned?

munchiaz

pre ordered the Wii U today. Also picked up myster dungeon for the DS complete for $2

wilykat

Quote from: bartre on 09/09/2012, 08:10 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/09/2012, 06:34 PM
Fix eet!
not worth it, well into the four figures to fix it, maybe a $1200 car.
Ah just recap it, maybe it'll run. ;)

nyuk nyuk

NecroPhile

Yesterday's mail had the three seasons of Arrested Development on DVD and a PAL TurboGrafx for me.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 09/14/2012, 09:58 AMYesterday's mail had the three seasons of Arrested Development on DVD and a PAL TurboGrafx for me.
I've owned a PAL for a while, but haven't yet found a use for it. It's only looking cool at the moment. Though it does seriously look cool with the grey case and controller, IMHO...