10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

Seriously, I didn't even look through the list of carts that came with it.  Of all of it I really just wanted the popful mail disc, and I always take laseractives when I can get them.  The Zoom disc is kind of neat to get too.

I'm sure I'll have some of these carts up for trade / sale cheap or as freebies.  I just noticed there was a Shining Force cart in there... nice surprise!  I think I've already got phantasy star 2 and 3 as well as shining in the darkness, so those will likely be available on the cheap.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/06/2012, 10:34 PMPS II, and PS III FTW!!
And Golvellius!

Loose Revolution X... not so much.

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/06/2012, 11:55 AMSamuraiGhost, was that a magical drop 3 I saw there? Id love to get that for MVS... 
Yep, and it was only around around $5 shipped. I bought it mainly for the dominatrix character because I'm a perv, but it's also a pretty fun game.

Starfighter

I bought these games today(ish):
IMG IMG
IMG
My-Health-Coach-Stop-Smoking-With-Allen-Carr.jpg
I don't smoke but the game just seems so stupid I had to try it out. It costed me 1 swedish crown which is about.. $0,1.

And I got these for free:
IMG
/lost.jpg

Tatsujin

those are not sooo good games.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Starfighter

The first three I really like. The rest I have no clue yet.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/06/2012, 10:21 PMSeriously, I didn't even look through the list of carts that came with it.  Of all of it I really just wanted the popful mail disc, and I always take laseractives when I can get them.  The Zoom disc is kind of neat to get too.
Lunar 2 wasn't a bad throw in either.
--DragonmasterDan

Senshi

Rage is awesome. I have that one as well. One day I will give Uncharted 3 a go.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Opethian

IMG

Starfighter

Yeah, I didn't find the cord to the camera so I googled and just took the first hits. :) I'm planning on making up for it later by taking pictures of my next purchases together with my penis.

nectarsis

Exchanged my Wipeout for Unit 13, and nabbed some other goodies :dance:

Of course we weren't home when my long waited for package arrived  #-o #-o

/93cf0023.jpg

JapanTokei

Beams, arent each of these laseractives 30lbs each?  You and u got what?  10 units if it now?  Lol.  Thats 300 lbs of laswractive sittibg arounds.  Talk about heavyweight!!  
Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/06/2012, 09:44 PMMoar junk and goodies... mostly junk tho.  I dont know why anyone would want any of this stuff...

/MarchHaul3.jpg

/MarchHaul4.jpg

/MarchHaul2.jpg

BlueBMW

Quote from: JapanTokei on 03/07/2012, 06:51 PMBeams, arent each of these laseractives 30lbs each?  You and u got what?  10 units if it now?  Lol.  Thats 300 lbs of laswractive sittibg arounds.  Talk about heavyweight!! 
Perhaps you'd like one? :D

I just cant help but pick them up when they're broken or super cheap. :oops:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mishran

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/07/2012, 07:28 PM
Quote from: JapanTokei on 03/07/2012, 06:51 PMBeams, arent each of these laseractives 30lbs each?  You and u got what?  10 units if it now?  Lol.  Thats 300 lbs of laswractive sittibg arounds.  Talk about heavyweight!! 
Perhaps you'd like one? :D

I just cant help but pick them up when they're broken or super cheap. :oops:
If yer gonna unload some, toss one my way... :wink:

TR0N

Quote from: Starfighter on 03/07/2012, 08:58 AMI bought these games today(ish):
And I got these for free:
IMG
Interested in SFxTekken,but it got out recently the dlc is in the game and crapcom expects you to pay to unlock the extra fighters  :evil:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Samurai Ghost

Ah, that is BS. I can see DLC for a cheap game, or if there are whole new areas to a game, but if you are charging that much for a fighting game you should get the whole roster right away. I can se ADDING some characters months down the line and have them available as DLC to extend the life of the game, but right out of the bat? That's pretty scammy.

kakutolives

Damn im jealous of that Popful mail CD...  :P
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

Starfighter

Regarding the capitalist bastard move from Capcom: Yeah, I pretty much agree. I never pay for stuff like that. And it's getting worse by the minute. I mean, look at the Vita. You have to buy an expensive memory card (proprietary of course) just to be able to play games - and the largest one they have for sale (which costs insanely much) isn't enough for more than a few installs and downloads. That alone made me ignore the Vita release. It's just.. No. "Why? Because fuck you, that's why."

Samurai Ghost

Some awesome pick ups so far this week.

Finally got a Super CD-ROM2! Got it in a lot with an extremely battle-scarred yet perfectly functional Duo-R, CoreGrafx I, white PCE and some misc accessories. It's not discolored or beat up at all and runs perfectly, although it needs a cap replacement which is no problem. I need to track down an AC adapter, patch cable, and CoreGrafx II to make it a complete set, but I'm very pleased so far!

Also picked up a receiver and extra wireless controller for the Saturn for a great price, and Teh Radiant Silvergun. Not quite a Holy Grail level pick-up, but it's an expensive game that's been eluding me for a while. Also a sealed Red Alert for 5 bucks shipped!

/supercd.jpg

Starfighter

Sweet, I didn't know the Saturn had wireless controllers!

Frank_fjs

Quote from: Starfighter on 03/08/2012, 05:17 AMSweet, I didn't know the Saturn had wireless controllers!
Pretty much all retro consoles do. The Mega Drive has them, SNES, PC Engine, NES etc.

Starfighter

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 03/08/2012, 05:28 AMPretty much all retro consoles do. The Mega Drive has them, SNES, PC Engine, NES etc.
Yeah, I knew about those though! But I hadn't seen Saturn ones before. I like how they look as well. Samurai, what's a "great price" for the receiver and two controllers?

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Starfighter on 03/08/2012, 05:31 AM
Quote from: Frank_fjs on 03/08/2012, 05:28 AMPretty much all retro consoles do. The Mega Drive has them, SNES, PC Engine, NES etc.
Yeah, I knew about those though! But I hadn't seen Saturn ones before. I like how they look as well. Samurai, what's a "great price" for the receiver and two controllers?
It ended up costing under $30 for everything shipped (I bought the spare controller separately). Typical eBay prices for one wireless controller and receiver is usually over $100.

They are really solid controllers though; great build quality and response! They look nice too, especially with the white Saturn system. Well worth what they cost me but eBay prices have gotten a bit out of hand these days...

nectarsis

Quote from: Starfighter on 03/08/2012, 02:57 AMRegarding the capitalist bastard move from Capcom: Yeah, I pretty much agree. I never pay for stuff like that. And it's getting worse by the minute. I mean, look at the Vita. You have to buy an expensive memory card (proprietary of course) just to be able to play games - and the largest one they have for sale (which costs insanely much) isn't enough for more than a few installs and downloads. That alone made me ignore the Vita release. It's just.. No. "Why? Because fuck you, that's why."
Pretty sure a 32GB stick is good for a LOT more space than a few DL's/instals LOL.

Starfighter

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/08/2012, 10:44 AMPretty sure a 32GB stick is good for a LOT more space than a few DL's/instals LOL.
Average games I've heard is about 500-1000MB. Uncharted is almost 4GB. And as we all know, a 32GB memory card isn't giving us 32GB of usable space.
I'm not saying it's so small it's completely useless, but I'm saying it will fill up pretty fast if you are a frequent Vita-user.

I mean... they also laughed and said 20GB would be more than enough for a 360 hard drive. ;)

Terminarcade

Nice catch Samurai Ghost! All of those are awesome in there own way.  =D&gt;

nectarsis

Quote from: Starfighter on 03/08/2012, 11:36 AM
Quote from: nectarsis on 03/08/2012, 10:44 AMPretty sure a 32GB stick is good for a LOT more space than a few DL's/instals LOL.
Average games I've heard is about 500-1000MB. Uncharted is almost 4GB. And as we all know, a 32GB memory card isn't giving us 32GB of usable space.
I'm not saying it's so small it's completely useless, but I'm saying it will fill up pretty fast if you are a frequent Vita-user.

I mean... they also laughed and said 20GB would be more than enough for a 360 hard drive. ;)
True, and that may some day be a problem for those that go with DL only games (I still say a retarded idea), but if you run retail games even an 8GB will be fine for a long time.

Starfighter

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/08/2012, 01:30 PMTrue, and that may some day be a problem for those that go with DL only games (I still say a retarded idea), but if you run retail games even an 8GB will be fine for a long time.
God yes, downloaded games is really shitty. I really don't like the trend of eveything being DRM-locked and basically just for rent.

BlueBMW

Quote from: Starfighter on 03/08/2012, 02:43 PMGod yes, downloaded games is really shitty. I really don't like the trend of eveything being DRM-locked and basically just for rent.
There could be a whole thread dedicated to this very issue... I too hate how everything is going download only.  Its fine if its like games off of gog.com where once its downloaded it works forever.  But a lot of these new games need to "phone home" and will eventually not work whenever the company that produced them gets bought out / goes bankrupt / kills the server / all of the above.  I'm still sore over EA's Motor City Online being unplayable now because they shut down the servers.

kakutolives

Quote from: BlueBMW on 03/08/2012, 09:05 PM
Quote from: Starfighter on 03/08/2012, 02:43 PMGod yes, downloaded games is really shitty. I really don't like the trend of eveything being DRM-locked and basically just for rent.
There could be a whole thread dedicated to this very issue... I too hate how everything is going download only.  Its fine if its like games off of gog.com where once its downloaded it works forever.  But a lot of these new games need to "phone home" and will eventually not work whenever the company that produced them gets bought out / goes bankrupt / kills the server / all of the above.  I'm still sore over EA's Motor City Online being unplayable now because they shut down the servers.
it's a good scam if you think about it. it lets them re-release it a couple of years later and charge you full price for the damn game again if they want to.. :(
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

BlueBMW

Finally got a real x68000 keyboard / mouse!  I know, seems silly that anyone would import a keyboard / mouse from Japan, but these are somewhat proprietary to the systems.

Here's a good example of how one game uses the keyboard uniquely:
/X68K_KBD.jpg

roflmao

Dangit, now I want to go play Cotton. :P

Awesome, btw!

TR0N

IMG

Starfighter

Ultimate Ghost 'n Goblins was on my wanted list for PSP when I first got the machine but I never went for it. I don't know why... It looks really awesome just by looking at the cover as well! :)

Samurai Ghost

Nice Trouble Shooter!!! Don't think I've ever seen a copy of that... Battle Mania 1 and 2 are still on my wish list but they are always so damn expensive...

And yeah Ultimate Ghost 'n Goblins is a great game!

SNKNostalgia

This reminds me that now is a good time to buy a PSP on the Cheap. Trying to remember which is the best model out of the 3, not the PSP Go of course.

Also, the thing with the Vita like with anything when first release is that it is overpriced and the hardware has not been tested for a year of use yet. As for the memory card problem, it isn't all that bad really. The main titles are their own game cards and I seriously doubt most early release downloadable only titles will go past 200-300MB for the most part. So a 4GB-8GB should be fine unless you seriously need to store every PSP download you own on your VITA.

If the system isn't selling as they plan, which will be the case... then later on the prices will go down, a second revision will come out, more than likely a standard memory format will be added to the revised model and this will be the time when downloads titles become bigger files. The proprietary cards will also go down in price in a year, even if they don't switch to standard memory cards with a revised model.

Just wait a bit, I never buy any console/handheld hardware on release. I have gotten burned too many times with consoles running into problems with hardware failures, lack of options, limited selection of games and paying too much. When you wait, you actually have good games to play. Seriously, the PS3 wasn't really worth me buying until 2008 game-wise. Of course, I didn't get around to buying it till January 2011. I am glad I put it off, since the PS3 Slim 160GB was exactly what I wanted and even more games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, etc... were out.

nectarsis

"likely a standard memory format will be added to the revised model"

ummmm no this is Sony we're talking about ;) lol

P.S.  Ultimate GnG is one of THE best games on the psp IMO.

NecroPhile

Quote from: nectarsis on 03/09/2012, 05:22 PMummmm no thi sis Sony we're talking about ;) lol
True, but by then there'll probably be third party cards for le cheap.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Neurosis138

Picked up an ac adaptor for my jvc x'eye.  When it shows up in the mail, i can properly test my unit.

bartre

Quote from: TR0N on 03/09/2012, 01:51 AMIMG
I freaking love both of those games, Trouble shooter took me forever to find though.

Turbotracks

A nice lot came the other day which gave me a handful of dupes. Keep your eyes open for a new trade thread!
Thunderbolts first down!

BlueBMW

I think the PSP 2000 is the best model series... most of them are easy to homebrew and they have more ram and a better screen than a PSP 1000. 

The only systems I've gotten on or close to launch were Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, PS3 and the 3DS.  So far I can say I was happy with the Dreamcast and Gamecube and disappointed in the Wii, PS3 and 3DS.  BUT, I can say that I'm glad I got one of the launch PS3s since they kept stripping the hardware down more and more with each subsequent revision.

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 03/09/2012, 04:15 PMThis reminds me that now is a good time to buy a PSP on the Cheap. Trying to remember which is the best model out of the 3, not the PSP Go of course.

Also, the thing with the Vita like with anything when first release is that it is overpriced and the hardware has not been tested for a year of use yet. As for the memory card problem, it isn't all that bad really. The main titles are their own game cards and I seriously doubt most early release downloadable only titles will go past 200-300MB for the most part. So a 4GB-8GB should be fine unless you seriously need to store every PSP download you own on your VITA.

If the system isn't selling as they plan, which will be the case... then later on the prices will go down, a second revision will come out, more than likely a standard memory format will be added to the revised model and this will be the time when downloads titles become bigger files. The proprietary cards will also go down in price in a year, even if they don't switch to standard memory cards with a revised model.

Just wait a bit, I never buy any console/handheld hardware on release. I have gotten burned too many times with consoles running into problems with hardware failures, lack of options, limited selection of games and paying too much. When you wait, you actually have good games to play. Seriously, the PS3 wasn't really worth me buying until 2008 game-wise. Of course, I didn't get around to buying it till January 2011. I am glad I put it off, since the PS3 Slim 160GB was exactly what I wanted and even more games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2, etc... were out.

Turbotracks

Quote from: Neurosis138 on 03/09/2012, 05:40 PMPicked up an ac adaptor for my jvc x'eye.  When it shows up in the mail, i can properly test my unit.
I hate wondering if a system works or not because of a missing component. I have an Odyssey 2 in my garage that I need an AC for so I can test it. I don't like using parts from other systems, although I did it as a kid.
Thunderbolts first down!

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Turbotracks on 03/09/2012, 09:35 PM
Quote from: Neurosis138 on 03/09/2012, 05:40 PMPicked up an ac adaptor for my jvc x'eye.  When it shows up in the mail, i can properly test my unit.
I hate wondering if a system works or not because of a missing component. I have an Odyssey 2 in my garage that I need an AC for so I can test it. I don't like using parts from other systems, although I did it as a kid.
Well if you understand how AC adapters work and have one that will work, it won't damage your system to use an unofficial adapter to test it out or even use for the long term as long as the polarity is correct and it's not underpowered. Reversed polarity can totally ruin your system so it's something to be sure of!

Starfighter

Quote from: guest on 03/09/2012, 05:34 PM
Quote from: nectarsis on 03/09/2012, 05:22 PMummmm no thi sis Sony we're talking about ;) lol
True, but by then there'll probably be third party cards for le cheap.
And then they release an update with the only purpose of bricking every Vita that runs with the third party card and so on and so on. Maybe I'm being pessimistic here but why should I trust anything? :D

TR0N

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 03/09/2012, 04:35 AMNice Trouble Shooter!!! Don't think I've ever seen a copy of that... Battle Mania 1 and 2 are still on my wish list but they are always so damn expensive...

And yeah Ultimate Ghost 'n Goblins is a great game!
Thanks UG&G is great and a worthy follow up to the serise.Btw as for battlemania yeah the japanese version is expensive while i got the u.s version getting it cib cost me plenty  :P If i had know it's value was more now i would have just settle for it loose.Also i agree,it's sequel battlemania 2 is even more expsenive but there are reproductions for it at a cheaper price  :wink:
IMG

1980-20..

IMG

Not purchased much recently but these came today.  :D

Bernie

I have been buying here and there lately, but this most recent purchase I am happiest with.
IMG

Got it off Ebay.  :)

Joe Redifer

I've never seen a Turbo box like that.  At least they didn't gimp the actual product like they did with the likes of the Genesis 3.

chany60126