@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

does anyone own a sega master system?

Started by TH0R, 10/10/2008, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TH0R

just got one from ebay...plays a lil funny... the game the system has programmed in it is all shaky, some games didn't load, had some freezing and at first all i had was the blue screen...wonder if it can be tuned up or if i should return it...

Joe Redifer

You should return it.  But first make sure you clean the connector and make sure the cables are all plugged in firmly.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TH0R

does this stuff sound fixable? thanks

kid_rondeau

I got one for the express purpose of playing another version of Ys I...although they just call it "The Vanished Omens".

Oh, and for some reason they call Adol "Aron" and Dark Fact "Dulk Dekt".

Zeon

I have two of em.

As far as your problems go, what is the rating of the power supply that you are using? Also, are you using a rf switch or composite cables? Expect a very poor sometimes unstable picture via rf. I don't think bad a/v cables could cause a shaking image and if said image only happens on one game that is definitely not the problem. Bad connections can cause a whole slew of other effects, such as dim/ wrong colors, unstable picture, or a buzzing noise coming out of your speakers.

Clean the crap out of the cartridges and the cartridge slot with q-tips doused in rubbing alcohol, the higher the content of alcohol vs water the better . Believe me sometimes you think that they are clean enough, then you spend about 30+ minutes cleaning the carts and slot until the q-tips come out clean. To clean the slot just get a game you have already cleaned, and insert, remove and re-insert the game about 5-10 times, clean the game again, and repeat this process until the majority of the dust/dirt/whatever else is on the contacts is gone.

If none of that solves your problems, unless you REALLY have to have a sms right now or are tech repair savvy, I would probably return it as anything else beyond replacing the av cables, power supply (assuming either of these had a problem), or cleaning the contacts requires opening up the system, and either running the board through the dishwasher with warm water and some detergent and then letting it air dry (yes it sounds weird, but trust me pcbs go through a similar process dishwasher at the place they are manufactured at to free the pcb of excess solder and flux.) or possibly some solder work. 

Though I sincerely doubt that this part would be necessary, cleaning up the games and cartridge slot will solve non loading games and freezing issues about 99% of the time. In fact I can almost guarantee you that cleaning the contacts up will solve your problems.

guyjin

what is the built in game? the snail game or alex kidd?
the fact that it is messed up as well suggests a video output problem - can you open it up and look inside?

CrackTiger

I've got like 8 model 1 SMS systems and I've never had any problems with any over the years.

Was the system sold as-is? If not you might as well return it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Lochlan

Quote from: guyjin on 10/11/2008, 04:37 PMwhat is the built in game? the snail game or alex kidd?
Hang on is also a built in game on some models.
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

drdre

Yeah, I got one (never had these problems with it...)  One of my least favorite systems tho...
Arms installation is complete....good luck

TH0R

thanks for the feedback, the built in game is missle defense 3d...once i had a cartridge in the slot and the, and it didn't load up, the missle defense game did...weird, the gun doesn't work either. sucks cause i got it in a bundle, which IS returnable, but it had some cool games. i'm gonna try cleaning it better... also , i am using a nintendo rf connecter that came with it. i'm not familiar with opening it up n soldering things, wish i was, i'd try to mod up my turbo duo also... :mrgreen:

ccovell

Quote from: TH0R on 10/10/2008, 11:05 PMjust got one from ebay...plays a lil funny... the game the system has programmed in it is all shaky...
Quote from: TH0R on 10/11/2008, 08:40 PMthanks for the feedback, the built in game is missle defense 3d...
](*,)

Well, this explains it.  The game is a 3-D game, which uses LCD glasses and flickering screens to generate a 3-D effect.  So your built-in game is not broken, at least.  Sounds like it's just that old bane, dirty cartridges.

TH0R

hah!...damn that's funny...is that what the glasses are for? oh man... i took the thing apart i'm looking at the board right now trying to clean it up, what are the contacts... are caps the lil batteries or the flatter tabs? they don't look burned or anything...any reason why the system would bypass a loaded catridge and load the programmed game instead? dirt most likely? thanks again... :mrgreen: i feel smart!

Tatsujin

Quote from: Lochlan on 10/11/2008, 05:39 PM
Quote from: guyjin on 10/11/2008, 04:37 PMwhat is the built in game? the snail game or alex kidd?
Hang on is also a built in game on some models.
yeah..and the snail maze game was the hidden game. like push right-down + AB and reset the game or so.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

I can't find the A and/or B buttons on my Master System!  Is my SMS broke?

Keranu

Hah, built-in Missile Defense 3-D! That's pretty funny, I can understand being totally confused if you didn't know about the 3D glasses and it's games.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/12/2008, 12:23 AMI can't find the A and/or B buttons on my Master System!  Is my SMS broke?
okey chef, 1 (start) & 2 button for you :D

guyjin

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/12/2008, 12:18 AMyeah..and the snail maze game was the hidden game. like push right-down + AB and reset the game or so.
it's up+1+2, actually.

Tatsujin

thx..it's been almost 20yrs since i played with my 1st SMS that had that game built-in :)

Joe Redifer

That game should get a 3D remake on the glorious Xbox 360 system.  I hear that is a great system with many fantastic exclusives.  I hear that hating the PS3 is popular as well, so no Snail Maze for that piece of crap!

Arkhan Asylum

mines got hang on and safari hunt built in.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MotoRoaderMike

I don't own one, but I'm thinking about getting one in January after Christmas.
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Arkhan Asylum

my friend just picked up a SMS w / Phantasy Star, and Alex Kidd for 30$ at a game con. last week.

I loaned him Altered Beast.

I enjoy torturing people >_O
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TH0R

speaking of altered beast, it looks a bit better on the genesis than it does on my turbo duo/ hu card...and they don't talk in the turbo version either :(

Tatsujin

they do talk on the cd version (after some short loading time :lol:)

Ninja Spirit

Yeah my dad bought me one back in 1993 at a TRU sidewalk clearance sale with Altered Beast and Shinobi.

Also a Genesis Power Base and Master Gear Converter

Then around 1998-ish when I was seeing the benefits of flea markets, from that time up to 2002 I was going real hard on collecting that stuff.

It's been in its status quo ever since.

But I'm thinking about getting back into collecting it since I'm missing Power Strike, and for the Euro titles such as Operation Wolf, Cyber Shinobi and Sagaia

Tatsujin

TH0R

nice, is that only on the japanese version?