RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

This forum is trying to take over my PC and rule the world when I'm not looking

Started by _Paul, 01/05/2009, 12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

Very strange happening recently. After I have browsed AWAY from the forums, IE keeps trying to refresh something (shout box?).

/pcefxgh4.jpg

I have no other tabs open and can be on a completely different site when this happens. I think it's only started recently and that clicking noise gets really annoying...has something changed perhaps?

Joe Redifer

Clicking noise?  Try disabling the refresh of the Chat Box before you leave.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/05/2009, 06:57 PMClicking noise?  Try disabling the refresh of the Chat Box before you leave.
Um, how do I do that?

EDIT: Never mind, I see it.

PCEngineFX

Well the point here is that the Pcenginefx forum shouldn't be doing anything when you browse away from it to a different site.

Sumteam, what browser are you using and what were your exact steps in going to the software bible? (was it via a forum link or bookmark, etc...)
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

_Paul

Windows XP, IE7.

It occurs when I browse away from the site via clicking a favourite or typing any URL in the address bar.
It seems to be linked to that specific 'tab' as it appears to stop if I open a new tab and close the old one that had the forums in previously.

guyjin

Joe Redifer

Yeah.  Try not using Internet Explorer.  It will solve a whole bunch of problems you probably don't even realize you're having.  I can't believe anyone still uses IE, I thought the world had abandoned it long ago.

_Paul

I already have umpteen media players bloating up my computer, I just can't be bothered having multiple browsers installed when they all do the same thing!

Joe Redifer

They don't all do the same thing.  Some actually work. ;)

Just use Firefox and all should be fine.

nat

I've gotta second what Joe says here. I'm surprised anyone still uses IE. It's trash. Firefox is the future. Actually, Firefox WAS the future but the future is now.

_Paul

Well I have Firefox on my netbook and also on my Mac at work (the mac version isn't great), but I have no problems with IE on my main PC. Maybe I'll install it one day if I'm bored or perhaps I'll wait for Google Chrome to get less buggy.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestI have no problems with IE on my main PC.
Yes you do, hence this thread.  :)

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/10/2009, 06:42 PM
Quote from: guestI have no problems with IE on my main PC.
Yes you do, hence this thread.  :)
Ah but if video cassette is all chewed up in one place, that does not mean your VCR is broken.
If a microwave pizza tastes of dried stoat faeces that does not mean your microwave is at fault.

There, I've run rings round your rational conclusion!

Joe Redifer

Well, how did the videotape get chewed up?  I demand specifics!!!!

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/11/2009, 12:10 PMWell, how did the videotape get chewed up?  I demand specifics!!!!
Perhaps your dog tried to eat it.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 01/05/2009, 12:51 PMI think it's only started recently and that clicking noise gets really annoying...has something changed perhaps?
That's weird. The first thing I would do is get off of IE and download Firefox as soon as possible.  :P Secondly, I'd turn off that clicking noise in Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds > Windows Explorer >Start Navigation. I found that clicking noise cute for about 3 days before I turned it off.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Rather than push the memory hogging Firefox as a panacea for all web ills, I'll offer a couple of things to try.  First, disable and re-enable tabbed browsing (you'll have to restart IE each time you change this setting).  Next, delete all temporary files, cookies, etc.  As a last resort, try resetting IE to its default settings (found under the advanced tab in options).  Good luck.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

All web ills are fixed by Firefox.  Sure, it may hog memory (on a Windows machine, I guess), but it's not like you have insufficient RAM, right?  You're not using a Pentium 2 are you?  You didn't just buy an already-assembled computer and stick with the included RAM, right?  Of course not, that would be silly.  Therefore it is only logical to conclude that Firefox will improve your life tenfold.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2009, 12:42 AMRather than push the memory hogging Firefox as a panacea for all web ills, I'll offer a couple of things to try.  First, disable and re-enable tabbed browsing (you'll have to restart IE each time you change this setting).  Next, delete all temporary files, cookies, etc.  As a last resort, try resetting IE to its default settings (found under the advanced tab in options).  Good luck.
I'd rather Firefox use up more memory, but actually work properly and not allow craploads of spyware into my computer.  :wink:  Firefox is using 69,XXXK of RAM right now on my machine. That's a drop in the bucket. I'm using Windows with 1GB of RAM and I can have Firefox, Photoshop, Indesign, and utorrent running all at the same time. I am going to try DreamLinux and see how that works.
IMG

_Paul

PCEngineFX

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2009, 12:42 AMRather than push the memory hogging Firefox as a panacea for all web ills, I'll offer a couple of things to try.  First, disable and re-enable tabbed browsing (you'll have to restart IE each time you change this setting).  Next, delete all temporary files, cookies, etc.  As a last resort, try resetting IE to its default settings (found under the advanced tab in options).  Good luck.
I second this.  Erase all temp files cookies etc. and see if it still occurs.  I am a loyal IE user and have never had this issue come up.  Please report back if this fixed your issue or not.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: PcenginefxI am a loyal IE user
Of course you are, don't you work for Microsoft or something?  They'd fire you if you dared use anything else!   :D

_Paul

I tried this on a PC at work (as well as doing a cookie-bin on my home machine) and it still does it. I'd be interested if anyone else on IE can replicate the issue.

And I downloaded Firefox, but I've not had the urge to install it yet :P

Joe Redifer

Cookie bin?????

Do you have any common plug-ins installed on both machines that do not come with IE by default?  I recently defeated an annoying problem I was having in Firefox (irrelevant to this case) by getting rid of old, now incompatible plug-ins.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/14/2009, 03:32 PMDo you have any common plug-ins installed on both machines that do not come with IE by default? 
Nope, the work machine is squeaky clean.

PCEngineFX

IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Hmm....so I can repro this at work using IE7 but at home using the same IE7 version I can't repro it.  Hm.
IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

I also get clicky madness; don't know if it helps with bug quashing, but it's IE 7.0.5730.11 on XP Service Pack 3 Build 2600.

Turbo D

Sp3 seems to have slowed down my pc. Idk if it's just my imagination, but start up times seem to have increased. My pc is 4 years old though, heh.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

_Paul

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 01/14/2009, 06:05 PMHmm....so I can repro this at work using IE7 but at home using the same IE7 version I can't repro it.  Hm.
Are both on XP? I wonder if anyone has had the issue on Vista?

PCEngineFX

Yep, both XP.  My Vista box with same IE7 build does not repro the problem.
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

I understand that "repro" means "reproduce", but it looks/sounds so much like "repo" which is what banks do when you make them angry.  I keep thinking that the forums will be repossessed by the bank!  :)

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Ceti Alpha

IMG

oldskool

Well hope the problem was fixed.  I never noticed it but I usually use Firefox.  Lately I've been trying out Chrome, and I think it's a great browser.  I love the bookmark toolbar.  Also, it has not had a single error or issue yet.  And I just looked at how much memory it's using..   a paltry 29,834k.  What is that, 29MB?  I'm sure there are browsers that use even less, but Chrome has a lot of really nice features I think.  I have not gone back to Firefox since I loaded up Chrome.  I'm diggin' it.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: oldskool on 02/23/2010, 04:02 AMWell hope the problem was fixed.  I never noticed it but I usually use Firefox.  Lately I've been trying out Chrome, and I think it's a great browser.  I love the bookmark toolbar.  Also, it has not had a single error or issue yet.  And I just looked at how much memory it's using..   a paltry 29,834k.  What is that, 29MB?  I'm sure there are browsers that use even less, but Chrome has a lot of really nice features I think.  I have not gone back to Firefox since I loaded up Chrome.  I'm diggin' it.
Chrome does have some nice features. I may switch over to Chrome at some point, but in the meantime I'm using a Chrome theme on Firefox, and it looks sweet.
IMG

nat

I want to try Chrome, but for whatever reason they aren't supporting OS 10.4.11 on the Mac which isn't even "old."

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 02/23/2010, 03:02 PMI want to try Chrome, but for whatever reason they aren't supporting OS 10.4.11 on the Mac which isn't even "old."
That's really strange. Hopefully it will get remedied.

I'm really curious about Google's new OS coming out.
IMG

Joe Redifer

I tried Mac Chrome and immediately went back to Firefox which has caused me no issues. I see no reason to change as Chrome wasn't any better at surfing the web or reinventing the wheel.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/23/2010, 04:27 PMI tried Mac Chrome and immediately went back to Firefox which has caused me no issues. I see no reason to change as Chrome wasn't any better at surfing the web or reinventing the wheel.
Exactly. Firefox has great extensions, but I do love the simple look of Chrome, which is why I've just recently added the Chrome theme to Firefox. I highly recommend it.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/23/2010, 05:42 PMExactly. Firefox has great extensions, but I do love the simple look of Chrome, which is why I've just recently added the Chrome theme to Firefox. I highly recommend it.
I highly recommend Paul's theme.  It rocks the pants off your weak juice chrome theme.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 02/23/2010, 06:25 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/23/2010, 05:42 PMExactly. Firefox has great extensions, but I do love the simple look of Chrome, which is why I've just recently added the Chrome theme to Firefox. I highly recommend it.
I highly recommend Paul's theme.  It rocks the pants off your weak juice chrome theme.
haha. Maybe I can mix both?  :-k
IMG

Joe Redifer

blueraven

IMHO; Chrome should only be on vintage automobiles. Leave the web to Firefox.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/23/2010, 08:41 PMAnyone have a SNES theme?
Yeah, but it really slows down the computer. The Sega and TG themes are blazing fast.
IMG

Joe Redifer

esteban

Quote from: nat on 02/23/2010, 03:02 PMI want to try Chrome, but for whatever reason they aren't supporting OS 10.4.11 on the Mac which isn't even "old."
Well, at least you aren't stuck at 10.3.9, like me. :(
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

I was on 10.2.8 forever and ever, so I know the feeling. It got to a point where every single Mac app coming out was "10.3.9 and up" before I finally upgraded.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 04/20/2010, 10:48 PMI was on 10.2.8 forever and ever, so I know the feeling. It got to a point where every single Mac app coming out was "10.3.9 and up" before I finally upgraded.
I wonder how long I'll last :). I have a PowerBook G4 and I don't want to upgrade to 10.5 and have any complications.

Everything works great right now, so I am afraid to tempt fate. Maybe if I get a new computer, I'll be more willing to screw around with this one.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG