RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

web hosting providers that suck

Started by guyjin, 04/20/2009, 07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

had/have a problem with a web hosting provider? slander and defame them here!

Joe Redifer

Back in the dial-up days I could make and host a page on AOL.  But they only gave you around 5 megabytes (or 40 MEGA POWER, same size as Super Street Fighter 2 on the Sega Genesis 16-bit system).  Sure, that space may seem incomprehensibly big (I mean Super Street Fighter 2 Genesis, c'mon it's WAY HUGE) but in real life I guess it isn't.  Also you couldn't have your own domain name, it had to be something like http://member.aol.com.username/blah.html or whatever.  So boo AOL free web pages!

NecroPhile

The top suck award goes to Global Internet Solutions (a.k.a. - the ass clowns that screwed over Video Game Den).  I hope they contract a incurable form of syphilis and/or get crushed by a ostrich stampede.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2009, 04:17 PMThe top suck award goes to Global Internet Solutions (a.k.a. - the ass clowns that screwed over Video Game Den).  I hope they contract a incurable form of syphilis and/or get crushed by a ostrich stampede.
I was hoping I could get the man himself to comment, or even Keranu, since they've had similar trouble lately, but the silence has been deafening.  8-[

Joe Redifer

Vistapages is REALLY bad.  I just remembered about them.  They screwed us over at www.the-magicbox.com and they have the worst possible customer service ever.  They suspend your account if you use to much bandwidth and don't allow you to have access to your shit.  We lost many months of forum posts because of those bastards.

We're on Film-Tech now (which is owned by my friend) and no probs any more.

OldRover

My hosting company has been through quite a number of providers over the years. Fortunately, the provider we have now is excellent. One of the companies we used to use is HostGator. They get rave reviews all the time, but our experience with them was less than stellar...they would pull the plug on our servers without warning, take three days to get shit running again (pissing off our customers in the process)...but the final straw was when they completely hosed one of our servers and refused to correct the issue. It was out of our hands because it was a licensing issue with cPanel, in which the license belonged to them. We were unable to access cPanel for over a month. Finally, we closed down all our servers with them and went to ev1, where we stayed for quite awhile (they were pretty good).

Then there was one company...can't remember the name since we were only with them for a month...that we bought a server from, which they claimed was built from all brand new components. One of the ram modules died within a week...which was alright, we understood...this shit happens sometimes. But about a week later, one of the hard drives seemed to fail. It was brought back up, but one of our admins did a test and found that it had an operating life of almost a year. That's not what I call brand new. We ditched them shortly afterwards...and didn't get our money back, despite their 30 day money-back guarantee.

Nowadays, since we've lost almost all our clients due to bad providers, we've got smaller servers with HostNine.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Dark Fact

I've never really trusted these "30 day money back guarantees" that some companies usually like to boast forth.  A better term would be "Take the money and run". :x
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!