PC in a Duo-R shell

Started by NecroPhile, 08/04/2009, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

A big thanks to Takumi Suidu for the heads up on this one.

For those who aren't on the Turbo Mailing List: a complete PC shoehorned into a Duo-R case (babelfish translation).  Though it lacks a game pad for gaming, it partially makes up for the omission with a PCE mouse converted to USB and a NEC branded keyboard.  What's not to love about a fairly competent PC with Blue-ray playback and a TV tuner (the HuCard slot was commandeered for the decoder card), all wrapped up in such an awesome package?  Pretty fucking awesome, if you ask me.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

lol..japanese otakism at its best :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

guyjin

wow. that's awesome.

but what happened to the poor duo-innards? perhaps we could shove 'em in a PC case?  O:)

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2009, 12:15 PMA big thanks to Takumi Suidu for the heads up on this one.

For those who aren't on the Turbo Mailing List: a complete PC shoehorned into a Duo-R case (babelfish translation).  Though it lacks a game pad for gaming, it partially makes up for the omission with a PCE mouse converted to USB and a NEC branded keyboard.  What's not to love about a fairly competent PC with Blue-ray playback and a TV tuner (the HuCard slot was commandeered for the decoder card), all wrapped up in such an awesome package?  Pretty fucking awesome, if you ask me.  8)
:shock: Amazing!!!

MUST.... BUILD..... ONE....... NAO!

BlackandBlue

Damn, even fitted a hotswap drive.  Pretty impressive.  I've been wanting to do this with something like a Dreamcast, since they are cheap to pick up and wouldnt end up killing a Duo.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Arkhan Asylum

ever see the nintendo one? :)

I was building one into a Commodore 1541 floppy but I got bored and smashed it with a hammer
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2009, 05:42 AMbut I got bored and smashed it with a hammer
haw fa' did yo come? removing all the 1541 inards?
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Although it is a shame that a DUO was sacrificed for this, the final product is amazing.

Love the keyboard and mouse!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

and if it was a past off DUO?

guyjin

Never give up on a Duo!

NecroPhile

Perhaps this Duo was sacrificed to save the lives of many of his Duo brethren; that or his guts were transplanted into an awesome looking custom mecha case with rgb and region mods, built-in tap, and wireless capabilities.  A guy can dream anyway.

blueraven

Quote from: guyjin on 08/05/2009, 12:03 PMNever give up on a Duo!
Agreed. Never.

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2009, 12:31 PMPerhaps this Duo was sacrificed to save the lives of many of his Duo brethren; that or his guts were transplanted into an awesome looking custom mecha case with rgb and region mods, built-in tap, and wireless capabilities.  A guy can dream anyway.
One would hope that the technology was saved so that someone's system may live another day. Dream away!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 08/05/2009, 06:26 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/05/2009, 05:42 AMbut I got bored and smashed it with a hammer
haw fa' did yo come? removing all the 1541 inards?
I had power supply, CDROM, harddrive and all mounted and then decided that buying a tiny mobo to fit it was gay, so i took my gear out , replaced the 1541 drive mech and dropped a few sledgehammer blows down on it.  I felt like MC Hammer.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

kattare

I gotta admit... I admire the handiwork, but have a hard time understanding the motivation.  In a year or two it's gonna be a crappy outdated pc in place of what woulda been a nice duo.

Now if it was a PC AND a Duo (and not via emulation...) ... game on!
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

NecroPhile

Here's another one from the Turbo List: a PC stuffed in a CGII case.

blueraven

:shock: Wow. Is that a wifi card in the slot?!?!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2009, 06:31 PMHere's another one from the Turbo List: a PC stuffed in a CGII case.
What kind of PC, and how do you know its a PC? Even with today's stuff that would be a really tight fit.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/22/2009, 07:46 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/22/2009, 06:31 PMHere's another one from the Turbo List: a PC stuffed in a CGII case.
What kind of PC, and how do you know its a PC? Even with today's stuff that would be a really tight fit.
one of those mini itx boards would fit fine in one of those.

SignOfZeta

With no drives and enough heat to melt the case after a few minutes of use?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/23/2009, 02:08 AMWith no drives and enough heat to melt the case after a few minutes of use?
use an IDE to CF adapter, or boot Linux off a USB stick. :)

those things dont run that hot.

NecroPhile

Quote from: blueraven on 10/22/2009, 06:37 PM:shock: Wow. Is that a wifi card in the slot?!?!
Here and here are a couple of other pics that show a different card in the HuCard slot (or more likely, the same card with a new label).  I don't know what it is, but based on the label (...0 GB), I'd guess that it's a hard drive of some sort.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/22/2009, 07:46 PMWhat kind of PC, and how do you know its a PC?
I'm just going by what was in the Turbo List post, so I don't know what's on the inside; I also can't read any of the chicken scratches, so I don't know if there's any good info. in the pic descriptions.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/22/2009, 07:46 PMEven with today's stuff that would be a really tight fit.
I'm sure it'd be a tight fit, but not impossible.  Check out some of the latest Atom and Via based systems -they're tiny and run relatively cool, though not terribly powerful; one such system is the Fit PC 2, which sports a 1.6ghz Atom processor, 1gb Ram, 2.5" drive bay, 802.11g, gigabit ethernet, and 6 USB ports, all crammed into a 4" x 4.5" x 1" package.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, that card must be a SSD of some sort.
IMG

esteban

This has inspired me to shove the innards of Roku into a PCE. The infrared receiver will be in the controller port.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BlackandBlue

I have an extra white PCE case laying around...  Hmmm, sure I can find something to make out of it.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

blueraven

Thats gotta be an Atom pc.