10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Wibble - classic chip tunes podcast

Started by _Paul, 10/27/2009, 01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

/wibble1banner.png
/wibble_1.mp3
I finally got round to starting my new podcast. You can download from the banner above or subscribe via iTunes (my bandwidth is a bit limited at the moment so download direct if you can).

I'm covering most formats from Spectrum to Arcade and will probably develop the format a little once I get back into the swing of things (suggestions have been noted for later!)

Episode 1 has some awesome music from Crime Fighters (arcade) so check it out.

The website for the podcast is at http://www.pcengine.co.uk/podcast if you want to keep up with the episodes from there.

NecroPhile

Thanks - downloading now for later enjoyment (or trying to anyway).  By the by, what's the meaning of Wibble?  Is it a close relative of a Tribble?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

It's more a reference to the wibbly wobbly sounds of early chip music. But the added Blackadder connection makes it cool.

ccovell

A great, short, and sweet podcast.  Please make more!

SignOfZeta

IMG

Turbo D

This is pure coolness Paul! I would like to thank thee for this awesome download! 8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

esteban

:)

Quote from: ccovell on 10/27/2009, 10:17 PMA great, short, and sweet podcast.  Please make more!
Ditto.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

Thanks for your comments.

Don't you think that Konami had one of the most awesome sound chips in their arcade machines? I love the sound of Crimefighters and their other stuff from that era.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2009, 02:00 PMDon't you think that Konami had one of the most awesome sound chips in their arcade machines? I love the sound of Crimefighters and their other stuff from that era.
Believe it or not, I'm more impressed with the sound they managed to squeeze out of NES/Famicom than the arcade hardware. Still, that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy Crimefighters and arcade tunes. :)

Heck, I even like the minimalist tunes from MegaZone (which sounds downright archaic compared to the stuff you are referring to).

MotherGunner

Paul, thanks for the awesome download "Ole Chap"."  I agree with the others, more!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

_Paul

NecroPhile

Woo-hoo, more awesome!  Thanks.  8)

_Paul

NecroPhile

nat

I really enjoyed the old PC Engine City podcasts, so if the format of this is similar, I'm sure it'll be a home-run.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

termis

Tuned in for a bit of episode 1 -- Man, I had forgotten how frickin' awesome Herzog Zwei music is... (Now tuning into rest of the music from that game)

_Paul

I hope Arkhan appreciates the massive plug for Insanity in this episode!

esteban

I finally got around to listening to episdoe 2 again (great!) and I have to say that I really like the track from Lost Patrol (Amiga).

Lost Patrol is brand new to me, and I love hearing new stuff.

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 11/22/2009, 10:57 AMI finally got around to listening to episdoe 2 again (great!) and I have to say that I really like the track from Lost Patrol (Amiga).

Lost Patrol is brand new to me, and I love hearing new stuff.
I think it was used on a few Amiga demos in its day, it was quite a popular tune. Suits the game perfectly.

esteban

NOTE: Man, all day I've been getting a "Sorry, try later" message for downloading episode 3. :(

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 11/22/2009, 03:53 PMNOTE: Man, all day I've been getting a "Sorry, try later" message for downloading episode 3. :(
Is that from Rapidshare or through Itunes?

esteban

_Paul

Mirror links are up on the main site now for all episodes.

Tatsujin

BC on the specy is amazing. very cool and so sidish. even i like the sid version more. i guess the specy was also done by tim follin? the same typically him improvised line.

btw. wasn't crime fighters from '89? ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Yep, Crime Fighters is from 89, I thought I said that?

esteban

Wibble 3 comments:
1. Respect the TIGRE
2. Did the AMSTRD always pump out bass like that? I love how aggressive the bass in GnG is.
3. More AMSTRD GnG tunes, please.
4. TRAZ! What a great tune (even though it is unabashedly "happy" and upbeat). PCE homebrewers should consider a TRAZ-inspired game: 4-5 player support, construction mode, etc. It would be even better than what Off the Wall (Atari/Tengen) promised to be.
5. Dig up some more "unique" (and/or exclusive) tracks like the one from Space Harrier SMS, that was great :)

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2009, 08:36 AMYep, Crime Fighters is from 89, I thought I said that?
I thought that I had understood 1999 :lol:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

oh btw, I LOVE YOU sooo much for adding the SAVAGE tune in the 2nd show. now that is so one of the greatest tunes ever made. JEROEN @ its very best =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;

and not just one of SAVAGE, no, sure the very BEST one!!!

I do lissen to this since ever the came game out and it never gets boring :D

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 11/29/2009, 08:40 AM3. More AMSTRD GnG tunes, please.
Um, that's the only tune there is unfortunately.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: esteban on 10/28/2009, 10:57 PMHeck, I even like the minimalist tunes from MegaZone (which sounds downright archaic compared to the stuff you are referring to).
Megazone is a classic. I used to love that game in the arcade.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

jboypacman

Loved the shows! Can't wait for more. :D

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2009, 03:04 PM
Quote from: esteban on 11/29/2009, 08:40 AM3. More AMSTRD GnG tunes, please.
Um, that's the only tune there is unfortunately.
Damn. Well, I'm definitely interested in hearing more UK microcomputer stuff... :)

Quote from: ceti alpha on 11/29/2009, 04:01 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/28/2009, 10:57 PMHeck, I even like the minimalist tunes from MegaZone (which sounds downright archaic compared to the stuff you are referring to).
Megazone is a classic. I used to love that game in the arcade.

The old-old-timers here are sick of me bringing up MegaZone as one of my favorite arcade games. It was at the local ice rink and I played it all the time. Sure, I loved the other games... but MegaZone was special.

There isn't enough love for MegaZone these days ;).

_Paul

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/29/2009, 09:41 AMoh btw, I LOVE YOU sooo much for adding the SAVAGE tune in the 2nd show. now that is so one of the greatest tunes ever made. JEROEN @ its very best =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt; =D&gt;

and not just one of SAVAGE, no, sure the very BEST one!!!

I do lissen to this since ever the came game out and it never gets boring :D
There's something about the way that the bass kicks in at the start of that tune that makes it one of the best examples of C64 music. I think my favourite 64 tune is probably the Stormlord intro though, I'll no doubt play that on a later show.

_Paul

esteban

Hey sunteam, I'll be downloading this newest episode shortly.... but first I have to wait for the final 800+ files of the HVSC to download onto my iPod.

Yes, your podcast inspired me to get a SID player for my iPod. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

ON TOPIC: Stormlord is, indeed, a wonderful tune.

Tatsujin

that banner tells me that there must be a great tune in it. i hope it is mute city :)

_Paul

Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/12/2009, 11:40 AMthat banner tells me that there must be a great tune in it. i hope it is mute city :)
In that case there are 3 great tunes in it ;)

esteban

Just finished listening!

Loved LED Storm (ZX Spectrum), which was new to me.

Also loved the Ninja Warriors track, since I had long since forgotten what the arcade tune sounded like. I love the voice in that! It has a quintessential 80's sound and feel to it.

The remix was interesting, too: quite "de-constructed" in the beginning. Kinda makes me wish the remix played around with things a bit more in the last half of the song.

Tatsujin

Quote from: esteban on 12/12/2009, 08:17 PMJust finished listening!

Loved LED Storm (ZX Spectrum), which was new to me.
then you have to LOVE the c64 version really much. especially the 2nd sub song of the alternate version.

pual, herwith i like to request that tune for one of the next shows :D

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2009, 02:51 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 12/12/2009, 11:40 AMthat banner tells me that there must be a great tune in it. i hope it is mute city :)
In that case there are 3 great tunes in it ;)
right ;)

_Paul

esteban

All right. Great stuff :)

I finally downloaded episode 5 last night and, this morning, I listened to it a few times (on repeat) as I grudgingly awoke.

1. I'm glad this is a themed episode. It's nice to have them every now and then.
2. I am particularly happy you chose some lesser-known tracks (SMS hidden stage, Amiga title screen, C64 original). Very nice tunes: The SMS tune was far more elegant than I remember it, the C64 SID (and remix) is mandatory since many folks here don't listen to SLAY Radio, and the Amiga tune--well, I had never heard it before.
3. On that note, I had never heard the Gameboy tune before, either.
4. 3, 2, 1... Let's Go! This track from LEO was a treat. It sounds like a Pet Shop Boys B-side (which is a good thing, as far as I am concerned).
5. The only way to have improved* on this episode: throw in a track, albeit Red Book, from PCE R-Type Complete!

*  I know this is an unpopular position to take.
** 3, 2, 1... Let's Go!

_Paul

I would have loved to put a PCE CD track in, but i made the difficult decision to only use chip generated stuff. It's a bit restrictive sometimes as I really want to share some of the awesome CD Rom tunes, but I have to stick by it (with the exception of the remixes as they are 'extras').

SignOfZeta

I love the bonus at the end of the R Type episode. I agree, that was an great remix.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/10/2010, 04:19 PMI would have loved to put a PCE CD track in, but i made the difficult decision to only use chip generated stuff. It's a bit restrictive sometimes as I really want to share some of the awesome CD Rom tunes, but I have to stick by it (with the exception of the remixes as they are 'extras').
I know, I know... and I agree with your decision to stick with chiptunes. :)

_Paul

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/10/2010, 06:10 PMI love the bonus at the end of the R Type episode. I agree, that was an great remix.
It's up there in my top 5 C64 remixes, along with the Double Dragon remix by CZ Tunes which, despite being pretty much a drumbeat on top of the chip sound, somehow manages to sound just great.

_Paul

esteban

Hell yes. I haven't listened yet, but the muscle-bound hero reveals all.

OUCH! I said that. Inexcusable.

Crap, not available via iTunes yet.

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 01/21/2010, 03:41 AMCrap, not available via iTunes yet.
Should be. I downloaded it in iTunes (just to check) as soon as I posted, that was hours ago.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2010, 04:06 AM
Quote from: esteban on 01/21/2010, 03:41 AMCrap, not available via iTunes yet.
Should be. I downloaded it in iTunes (just to check) as soon as I posted, that was hours ago.
I'm sure it's just my luck. :(

When I clicked "Get More Episodes" on my iPod, only episodes 2-5 were listed.

IMG

I only sync my iPod to a computer a few times a year, preferring to use WiFi for nearly everything.

I've never had a problem doing this before... but then again, I am lucky--sometimes.