Question about hooking PC-FX up to a PC-98....

Started by oldschooldave, 07/20/2005, 05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschooldave

When you hook a PC-98 to a PC-FX, do you just need the hard drive from the PC-98, or do you need the keyboard, mouse, monitor, or any other peripherals?

Nutribrain

You can buy the expansion card PC-FXGA in three different versions (see also here and scroll down to the bottom), the main difference is the slot format and software, and then you have the real PC-FX hardware in your PC-98. The card itself features the same joyports as the original PC-FX hardware. The computer's HD is used as a memory card plus the software bundeled with the GA enables you to write your own FX programs. These programs can only be run on a PC-FXGA enabled computer and not on the real hardware.
So the monitor and the computer's HD is used by the PC-FXGA. I don't know if the PC's mouse is supported, I guess you need the FX mouse.
I have two PC-FXGA cards but are lacking a compatible computer, so I haven't tried them myself.

oldschooldave

Well thanks for that information! :D

My main concern was wether you could use the TV as the monitor, or if, as you said, you need the PC-98's monitor.

I still find it weird, though, that the PC-FX couldn't play PC-88 games-isn't the PC-98 backwards compatible with the PC-88?

dj898

iirc pc-98 used analogue rgb monitor.... and don't think it has the socket for normal tv...

Kaminari

Quote from: "Nutribrain"These programs can only be run on a PC-FXGA enabled computer and not on the real hardware.

They're supposed to run on the FX if you don't use the HuC6273 3D chipset in your code.

Quote from: "oldschooldave"I still find it weird, though, that the PC-FX couldn't play PC-88 games - isn't the PC-98 backwards compatible with the PC-88?

No, you're just confused by the fact that some early PC-98 games were hybrid -- they contained both PC-98 and PC-88 versions. Why should the FX be compatible with the PC-88? The FX hardware has nothing in common with the NEC computers.

oldschooldave

Quote from: "Kaminari"
Quote from: "Nutribrain"These programs can only be run on a PC-FXGA enabled computer and not on the real hardware.

They're supposed to run on the FX if you don't use the HuC6273 3D chipset in your code.

Quote from: "oldschooldave"I still find it weird, though, that the PC-FX couldn't play PC-88 games - isn't the PC-98 backwards compatible with the PC-88?

No, you're just confused by the fact that some early PC-98 games were hybrid -- they contained both PC-98 and PC-88 versions. Why should the FX be compatible with the PC-88? The FX hardware has nothing in common with the NEC computers.

Yes I was confused, so thanks for the info!

sabre470

Quote from: "Kaminari"

Absolutely, check this page for proof, the guy is the programmer of a multi platform game called Frog Feast he managed to do excellent stuff with the FX-GA SDK.

Cheers

Sabre
Sabre470
PC-FX Fanatic
https://cdromrom.wordpress.com