PC Engine Homebrew News: The duo that brought you FX-Unit Yuki returns! A demo for "Nyanja!" is available, an action platformer akin to games like Bubble Bobble & Snow Bros in gameplay style.
Main Menu

Dumbest/Stupidest/Shittiest/All-around worst Nintendo console

Started by nat, 04/30/2011, 02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one? And why?

NES
Super NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii

nat

Nintendo 64 - What an utter failure in all regards.

Extremely poor 3D graphics when viewed in retrospect (not that they were a real treat at time of release). To make matters worse, the console features, like, less than 10 2D games (OK, maybe 20). That means 95% of the console's library looks like shit visually. Some of the best games on the system are 2D: Mischief Makers, Bomberman Arcade (the 2D one, not that Bomberman 64 shit), Magical Tetris Challenge, the Bust-A-Move series, etc. So much un-tapped 2D potential.

A severely limited storage medium. Who the fuck was still using cartridges exclusively in 2000? Nintendo, that's who. One of the worst marketing decisions of ALL TIME. While companies like NEC were producing CD games as early as the 1980s, Nintendo didn't catch on until almost 15 years later.

The hardware deficiencies don't stop there. The Nintendo 64 also has the distinct honor of featuring the worst controller design of ALL TIME. The analog thumbsticks all went limp after less than a year of use. You had to place your left hand on a completely different grip depending on whether or not you were using the analog stick or the d-pad. The memory card slot on the controllers were extremely touchy; if you didn't have the memory card inserted JUST RIGHT there was a 50% chance you could say goodbye to all your save files. To top it all off, the controllers had the build quality of a cheap TODDLER'S TOY. It boggles the mind the same company who just a few years prior produced one of the best controllers in the video game universe (SNES) stumbled to this level.

Insufficient RAM meant anything beyond mediocre 3D (for the time, it could be argued all N64 3D is mediocre at best, anymore) rendered at sluggish framerates unless you purchased a memory expansion.

Game library was relatively small by comparison to its older siblings (NES and SNES), with far less diversity in genres. A lot of the 3D games are downright awful; you can't even tell what the hell is going on in a handful of them due to broken camera mechanics and muddy, pixelated "textures." Mario 64 was actually a promising effort, but even Mario suffered from some camera issues. Super Mario Kart is also a decent game... If you're playing it in one or two-player mode. By the time you get three-or-four players involved, the low-resolution polygons in the 4-way split-screen just don't cut it and it's often difficult to see what's coming until it's too late.

I'm personally amazed the N64 did as "well" as it did. I believe this had a lot to do with the fact Nintendo was riding high on the success of the console's forerunners. Kids ran out and bought it on release based only the fact it was a new Nintendo product. The Playstation One didn't exactly blow it out of the water in the 3D department, but the library was gigantic, with lots more 2D games to boot.

The GameCube turned out to be a much, much better console design-wise but still suffered from a poor-ish game library. The Wii is arguably Nintendo's best console to date. Not only does it offer hardware support to play GC games, it will also play N64, SNES, and NES titles via emulation. You're talking about nearly 30 years of software on a single console. By comparison, the N64 will play 4 or 5 years worth of some of the most mediocre games Nintendo ever produced.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SuperDeadite

N64 of course.  I think Goldeneye was the only game on it I enjoyed, but even then I rather
play Doom.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

So Dito! can't add much more than already nuff said by nat!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TR0N

N64 all ways thought it's controller was to arkward to use not to mention most of it's good games,were frist party only.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Senshi

I agree with everything already said about the N64. I have a freind who has one and loves it. I just sit their and snicker at him  :lol:

However, I voted Gamecube because I can't name one game on that thing if you asked me other than Luigi's mansion. Plus it just looks silly.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

BlueBMW

While I agree the N64 is probably Nintendo's worst console... I personally really like the system.  My reasons are more nostalgic than anything.  

I had only had a Genesis and SNES before the N64, so I had only played 2D games for the most part.  I first saw the N64 advertised at school of all places.  Every morning we would watch Channel 1 and there were ads for the N64 on there.  When I saw Mario 64 and Waverace 64, I was impressed by the concept of being able to go anywhere.  Meaning in a game like Mario, I wasn't restricted to a 2D plane, I could go anywhere!  I dont know why, but at that time (I think I was 12 years old or so) that just looked so fun to me.  I guess I had never really played anything that 3D before.  When I did get the N64, I wasn't disappointed!  It was as fun as I expected it to be!  My friends and I would all pile up in someones living room for hours to play Mariokart 64 and Goldeneye.  Even today, some of my friends and I still get together for sessions of Mariokart and WCW/NWO revenge.

At the time, a few of my friends had Playstations (I only knew one guy with a Saturn) so I only had a few titles to compare to.  I remember seeing Jet Moto and thinking: "that looks like a crappy Waverace."  Mind you, this is a 12yr old's logic at work here :P  It wasn't until I saw Final Fantasy 7 that I got really interested in getting a Playstation.   I ended up getting a PSX eventually with FF7, Cool Boarders 2, Ace Combat 2, and Jet Moto.  But I kept my N64, and it still gets use to this day.

Looking at the system now, I agree that the hardware itself is weak, the graphics are weak, the controller is weak.  But because of my own personal history with the system, I'll always like it.  Banjo Kazooie will probably always be my number one most favorite game of all time across all consoles.  

Oh and a side note on the controller.... yeah its kind of weak physically, and the design is funky.  But I actually like it too.  I know as a kid I wanted to get four controllers of different colors.  (Blue, Green, Red and Yellow)  I liked the Yellow one the best for some reason.  At the time I thought the analog stick felt good and the c pad was utilized well in most games.

So anyways, now that you all know I'm an N64 nut... let the discussion commence :D

Edit: I guess I should mention that I am also a big fan of the Gamecube too.  That was the only system I bought on launch day, and I dont regret it one bit  [-(  I guess I have an affinity for crappy systems! :lol:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

chany60126

For me, the Nintendo Wii is the worst console of the bunch, although the n64 takes a close second. N64 games just haven't aged well at all as the character designs are very clunky and developers were still trying to figure out this 3D thing. But there were some awesome games released that are still fun to play like Zelda OOT and my favorite wrestling game of all time: WCW Vs. nWo Revenge.

So my least favorite nintendo console is the Wii. Most of the games I see are either way too gimicky and/or aimed towards the 'casual gamer'. Heck, there are even games for grandma and grandpa to play like the Price is Right. Don't get me wrong, the system does have good games such as Punch Out and just about any Mario platformer is good. I have to admit that I am biased in favor retro games, but I take a look at store ads for Wii games and none seem to interest me. I'll give Nintendo some props for implementing the Virtual Console. But then again, it may have been one of the contributing factors in the dramatic increase in price of turbo games the last couple of years or so.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: nat on 04/30/2011, 02:22 AMNintendo 64 - What an utter failure in all regards.

Extremely poor 3D graphics when viewed in retrospect (not that they were a real treat at time of release). To make matters worse, the console features, like, less than 10 2D games (OK, maybe 20). That means 95% of the console's library looks like shit visually. Some of the best games on the system are 2D: Mischief Makers, Bomberman Arcade (the 2D one, not that Bomberman 64 shit), Magical Tetris Challenge, the Bust-A-Move series, etc. So much un-tapped 2D potential.

A severely limited storage medium. Who the fuck was still using cartridges exclusively in 2000? Nintendo, that's who. One of the worst marketing decisions of ALL TIME. While companies like NEC were producing CD games as early as the 1980s, Nintendo didn't catch on until almost 15 years later.

The hardware deficiencies don't stop there. The Nintendo 64 also has the distinct honor of featuring the worst controller design of ALL TIME. The analog thumbsticks all went limp after less than a year of use. You had to place your left hand on a completely different grip depending on whether or not you were using the analog stick or the d-pad. The memory card slot on the controllers were extremely touchy; if you didn't have the memory card inserted JUST RIGHT there was a 50% chance you could say goodbye to all your save files. To top it all off, the controllers had the build quality of a cheap TODDLER'S TOY. It boggles the mind the same company who just a few years prior produced one of the best controllers in the video game universe (SNES) stumbled to this level.

Insufficient RAM meant anything beyond mediocre 3D (for the time, it could be argued all N64 3D is mediocre at best, anymore) rendered at sluggish framerates unless you purchased a memory expansion.

Game library was relatively small by comparison to its older siblings (NES and SNES), with far less diversity in genres. A lot of the 3D games are downright awful; you can't even tell what the hell is going on in a handful of them due to broken camera mechanics and muddy, pixelated "textures." Mario 64 was actually a promising effort, but even Mario suffered from some camera issues. Super Mario Kart is also a decent game... If you're playing it in one or two-player mode. By the time you get three-or-four players involved, the low-resolution polygons in the 4-way split-screen just don't cut it and it's often difficult to see what's coming until it's too late.

I'm personally amazed the N64 did as "well" as it did. I believe this had a lot to do with the fact Nintendo was riding high on the success of the console's forerunners. Kids ran out and bought it on release based only the fact it was a new Nintendo product. The Playstation One didn't exactly blow it out of the water in the 3D department, but the library was gigantic, with lots more 2D games to boot.

The GameCube turned out to be a much, much better console design-wise but still suffered from a poor-ish game library. The Wii is arguably Nintendo's best console to date. Not only does it offer hardware support to play GC games, it will also play N64, SNES, and NES titles via emulation. You're talking about nearly 30 years of software on a single console. By comparison, the N64 will play 4 or 5 years worth of some of the most mediocre games Nintendo ever produced.
Hindsight is always 20/20. The N64 obviously has the smallest library and the biggest step down visually since early 3D games generally look worse than NES 2D games, but part of the problem is you're looking at it through the eyes of someone who has lived through the HD era. Seeing Super Mario 64 in 1996 imparted a feeling of sheer wonderment and amazement to nearly all who gazed upon it, it was so far ahead of anything that had come before it the start of "quality 3D games" besides driving, flying or first person shooters really began right there.

Going back to playing it today, it looks terrible but there's more elite level games I'd go back and play on the N64 than the original Playstation (there's more good games on Playstation, but more GREAT games on N64). Also with regards to the thumbsticks, I have my four original N64 controllers purchased in 1996, they all work great. If your controllers are failing someone was abusing them.

Quote from: chany60126 on 04/30/2011, 10:44 AMFor me, the Nintendo Wii is the worst console of the bunch, although the n64 takes a close second. N64 games just haven't aged well at all as the character designs are very clunky and developers were still trying to figure out this 3D thing. But there were some awesome games released that are still fun to play like Zelda OOT and my favorite wrestling game of all time: WCW Vs. nWo Revenge.

So my least favorite nintendo console is the Wii. Most of the games I see are either way too gimicky and/or aimed towards the 'casual gamer'. Heck, there are even games for grandma and grandpa to play like the Price is Right. Don't get me wrong, the system does have good games such as Punch Out and just about any Mario platformer is good. I have to admit that I am biased in favor retro games, but I take a look at store ads for Wii games and none seem to interest me. I'll give Nintendo some props for implementing the Virtual Console. But then again, it may have been one of the contributing factors in the dramatic increase in price of turbo games the last couple of years or so.
Most games on any system are bad. The Wii has lots of great games, particularly on WiiWare. Basing the system strictly on its merits the Wii is pretty excellent, it has some absolutely fantastic quality games, a quick look at gamerankings all time best list reveals two wii exclusive games on the top 3, and all of the top 3 are playable on the Wii in one form or another. The virtual console adds value to the Wii and gives it a gigantic library of games both new and old. From Super Mario Galaxy, to Zelda, to Metroid Prime, to Muramasa, to Punch Out, to Cave Story, to World of Goo, and then moving on to the gigantic library of great titles available on virtual console the Wii in terms of number of "good games" available to it for legitimate purchase may be the best system ever.

Added in edit: Oh and it plays Game Cube games as well
--DragonmasterDan

CGQuarterly

This is a tough one.  I have an RGB-modded N64 that I enjoy playing, but really it's only because of a few games.  But the same can be said for the Game Cube and Wii.  I had a Game Cube but really only ever played Resident Evil 4 and Animal Crossing on it.  I have a Wii, but only play NSMB on it. 

The N64 for me isn't that bad of a console - just a huge let-down after the Super NES.  Like I said, mine is RGB-modded so the picture looks really nice, and I play it with a Hori Mini-Pad, so the shitty stock controller isn't a problem.  As far as the thumbsticks on the original controllers (which are definitely terrible) you can buy replacements on eBay that are based on the Game Cube controller thumbsticks.

I really look at the Wii as just being an upgraded Game Cube, so to me the GC/Wii is the worst Nintendo console.

Chris

SignOfZeta

N64 is the worst, no question. I don't agree in the reasoning area so much though.

The 3D was bad? Yes, it was, but bad compared to what? The other two systems were at least as bad.

I also have no problem with cartridges. In case you didn't notice, cartridges have more or less come back with a vengeance. The next generation of consoles is likely to have %100 solid state storage, and the PSP will end up being the only handheld to use discs. The cartridge thing may have held back some of the games because of storage limitation, but it made up for it by sparing us the horrendous load times of the PS.

Also, the controller: while stupid, I didn't find it to be all that badly made. The d-pad is super solid and the buttons, while small, are as good as the SFC controller. Since I never hardly even used my N64 the controllers were in perfect condition when I sold the system. :)

The biggest problem with the N64 was the whole idea of making something super high end and trying to blow the competition away. This lead to everything just costing too fucking much development-wise, which lead to small software selection. Nintendo learned from this big time by the time the Cube and Wii came around. The Cube and Wii were cheap to produce and develop for and in the end the sales and profits are really good, even though the software selection is still pretty lackluster aside from a few major releases every year.

The games on the N64 are often times just...bad. Even the first party ones. Yoshi's Island on SFC is basically the best game ever made. Yoshi's Story on N64 is just fucking terrible. Possibly the worst platformer Nintendo ever made. Mario Kart 64...oh how I hate this game. Again, the SFC one was magic but the N64 one took a high strategic and reflex intensive racing masterpiece and turned it into a game of dice. Shit like blue shells are bad enough, but the rubber band effect is in place at other levels. A racing game where being in first place is the worst place to be is a shitty racing game. Also, they widened the courses and the corners so fucking much that they turned what was very F1 into basically NASCAR. If you suck at racing, then I'm sure Mario kart 64 is right up you ally.

Favorite games on the system: Wave Race, Pilot Wings.

Regarding people who hate the GC/Wii more...I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from. I can only assume you would be...lets see...23-29 years old? That would place you in a situation where you were very young when the N64 came out and still suffering from rose tinted glasses. The N64 suuuucked. The Cube had mario Sunshine, a (barely) better Waverace, Luigi's Mansion, some Super Fucking Monkey Balls, the Gameboy Player, Killer 7, Alien Hominid, Tales of Symphonia (an actual, real, full on contemporary JRPG, something the N64 never got), that cool Kinikuman game, Phantasy Star Online, Animal Crossing, a very good Gundam game, Bomberman Land 2...way more good stuff that is still more playable than that piece of crap N64. The hardware itself is also exemplary. It virtually never breaks. The small discs leave you with very little load times (virtually none on 1st party releases), cute shape, the Wavebird (best wireless pad ever when it was released), and, again, the Gameboy Player which is rad.

Edit:

And the Wii...the Wii does essentially all this stuff (only the Gameboy Player is lost) plus all the Wii stuff. The Wii shop is loaded with more cool stuff than I have time to play. I give a lot of credit to Nintendo for actually putting all four controller ports and both memory card slots on the Wii and retaining %99 cube compatibility. They didn't have to do that.
IMG

guyjin

I voted N64, as all rational people would given these choices.

but we all know that the correct answer is the Virtual Boy.

Arkhan Asylum

N64 for me. Definitely.  I never owned one.  I still dont.  I own copies of the games I did like.  I bought them and played at my friends house.  I saw no point in buying a cart based system with dumbass graphics and an irritating controller when I had the Playstation with multi-disc sexfests like FFVII, and games like Oddworld.   Oddworld is better than any game the N64 ever had.

The controller is an abortion.  The dpad was alienated, the C buttons seem like a joke, and the joystick brings me about as much joy as putting my dick in a bugzapper.  Its flimsy, slippery, stiff to move around, and if you're using a controller that some jackoff used to play mario party, its probably near-dead and responds funny.

There were BATTERY POWERED addons.   WHY.

I liked:

Mischief Makers
Jet Force Gemini
some other crap I cant even remember.

SCREW THE N64
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

guyjin

I can't believe I'm about to defend the N64:
Quote from: nat on 04/30/2011, 02:22 AMExtremely poor 3D graphics when viewed in retrospect (not that they were a real treat at time of release). To make matters worse, the console features, like, less than 10 2D games (OK, maybe 20). That means 95% of the console's library looks like shit visually.
Its 3D graphics were better than its competitors. this is more of an indictment against polygonal gaming than of the N64.

Also, I don't think the n64's controller was the worst of all time; I think the 5200's was worse.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guyjin on 04/30/2011, 02:40 PMI voted N64, as all rational people would given these choices.

but we all know that the correct answer is the Virtual Boy.
Yes, this is true. Since its nearly impossible to take that piece if shit anywhere, or to even hold it entirely in your hands while playing it, the VB essentially is a console, and the worst thing Nintendo ever made. In fact, its worse than anything Sony ever made. Its that bad.
IMG

rag-time4

Before reading the thread I voted gamecube, strictly because of the controller. Looking back, the N64 had a real winner of a controller as well.

I really agree with what Dan said about Mario 64... Mario Kart was really neat as well in 3d, and I remember enjoying the star wars adventure game as well.

TheClash603

I voted the N64 as well, because it is the only system on the list that can be argued wasn't a huge success.  However, I don't agree with what a lot of people are saying.

1.)  The controller was revolutionary.  The form may now look silly and the stick was definitely too flimsy, but at the time, it was unlike anything that was out there.  The controller was pretty much a peripheral created so that Mario 64 would work, and for that, it was perfect.  This was the second coming of the NES d-pad to me.

2.)  The graphics were okay for the time.  Sure, we can think back to the cut-scenes on the RPGs of the PSX, but really...  look at the actual games.  Graphics are pretty comparable, and at times, better on the N64.

3.)  There are some truly classic games on the system.  First and foremost, Mario 64.  This is the game that proved 3D gaming work, and to this day is one of the best Mario games (or any game?) ever made.  There are a handful of other exclusive titles which were must-owns as well.

So yes, it is definitely the worst system on the list above.  However, that is really a testament to how impressive the other systems are, as Nintendo never really had a flop.  Did I play my N64 as much as my Saturn?  No way.  The PSX?  Probably nearly the same.  To each his own I guess.

nat

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/30/2011, 11:01 AMHindsight is always 20/20. The N64 obviously has the smallest library and the biggest step down visually since early 3D games generally look worse than NES 2D games, but part of the problem is you're looking at it through the eyes of someone who has lived through the HD era. Seeing Super Mario 64 in 1996 imparted a feeling of sheer wonderment and amazement to nearly all who gazed upon it, it was so far ahead of anything that had come before it the start of "quality 3D games" besides driving, flying or first person shooters really began right there.
Not at all, although having lived through the HD era certainly doesn't help things. I guess I was the only one that thought all that first-generation 3D crap looked like utter shit, even back in 1996. It looked like shit then, and it looks about 100x worse now. I was far more impressed by the Catacombs 3D/Wolf3D/Dooms that came out 4 or 5 years prior. The first console to feature passable polygon-based 3D was the Dreamcast, in my opinion.

QuoteGoing back to playing it today, it looks terrible but there's more elite level games I'd go back and play on the N64 than the original Playstation (there's more good games on Playstation, but more GREAT games on N64). Also with regards to the thumbsticks, I have my four original N64 controllers purchased in 1996, they all work great. If your controllers are failing someone was abusing them.
I beg to differ. I've had tens upon tens of N64 controllers pass through my possession over the years, in addition to handling other people's. I haven't seen a solid, upright thumbstick on an N64 controller in 12 years or more.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 04/30/2011, 03:55 PM1.)  The controller was revolutionary.  The form may now look silly and the stick was definitely too flimsy, but at the time, it was unlike anything that was out there.  The controller was pretty much a peripheral created so that Mario 64 would work, and for that, it was perfect.  This was the second coming of the NES d-pad to me.
Different =/= better. I though the controller was the dumbest thing on Earth back when it was released. Nowadays, time has proven that not only is it a poor design, it was poorly constructed as well. See the Playstation Dualshock controller for an analog-stick-capable controller done right.

I'm also a fan of the Dreamcast controller, although I'm sure some people would debate me on that one.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/30/2011, 01:38 PMN64 is the worst, no question. I don't agree in the reasoning area so much though.

The 3D was bad? Yes, it was, but bad compared to what? The other two systems were at least as bad.
Indeed they were. I'm not saying it was any worse than its contemporaries; in fact, I think ALL first-gen polygonal 3D looks like steaming piles of horse manure. My point was that the other two systems at least had a good selection of 2D games to offset the 3D shovelware. The N64 did not. It had a few, but not enough.

QuoteI also have no problem with cartridges. In case you didn't notice, cartridges have more or less come back with a vengeance. The next generation of consoles is likely to have %100 solid state storage, and the PSP will end up being the only handheld to use discs. The cartridge thing may have held back some of the games because of storage limitation, but it made up for it by sparing us the horrendous load times of the PS.
Load times don't bother me much. And look, solid-state storage has come a LONG way since 1996. The cartridge format, as it existed in the mid 90s, had outlived its usefulness. Not only were you limited on storage capacity, the sound hardware had to be sacrificed as well. No redbook audio, etc.

QuoteThe games on the N64 are often times just...bad. Even the first party ones. Yoshi's Island on SFC is basically the best game ever made. Yoshi's Story on N64 is just fucking terrible. Possibly the worst platformer Nintendo ever made.
That's funny, I think Yoshi's Story is one of the N64's better games, although that's not saying a whole lot. Granted, the control scheme sucks.

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 04/30/2011, 11:01 AMThe Wii has lots of great games, particularly on WiiWare. Basing the system strictly on its merits the Wii is pretty excellent, it has some absolutely fantastic quality games, a quick look at gamerankings all time best list reveals two wii exclusive games on the top 3, and all of the top 3 are playable on the Wii in one form or another. The virtual console adds value to the Wii and gives it a gigantic library of games both new and old. From Super Mario Galaxy, to Zelda, to Metroid Prime, to Muramasa, to Punch Out, to Cave Story, to World of Goo, and then moving on to the gigantic library of great titles available on virtual console the Wii in terms of number of "good games" available to it for legitimate purchase may be the best system ever.
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/30/2011, 01:38 PMRegarding people who hate the GC/Wii more...I can't even begin to understand where you are coming from. I can only assume you would be...lets see...23-29 years old? That would place you in a situation where you were very young when the N64 came out and still suffering from rose tinted glasses. The N64 suuuucked. The Cube had mario Sunshine, a (barely) better Waverace, Luigi's Mansion, some Super Fucking Monkey Balls, the Gameboy Player, Killer 7, Alien Hominid, Tales of Symphonia (an actual, real, full on contemporary JRPG, something the N64 never got), that cool Kinikuman game, Phantasy Star Online, Animal Crossing, a very good Gundam game, Bomberman Land 2...way more good stuff that is still more playable than that piece of crap N64. The hardware itself is also exemplary. It virtually never breaks. The small discs leave you with very little load times (virtually none on 1st party releases), cute shape, the Wavebird (best wireless pad ever when it was released), and, again, the Gameboy Player which is rad.

Edit:

And the Wii...the Wii does essentially all this stuff (only the Gameboy Player is lost) plus all the Wii stuff. The Wii shop is loaded with more cool stuff than I have time to play. I give a lot of credit to Nintendo for actually putting all four controller ports and both memory card slots on the Wii and retaining %99 cube compatibility. They didn't have to do that.
I'm totally with you guys there. How anyone could make an argument that the Wii is somehow worse than the N64 just baffles me. It would seem anyone making such an assertion must be letting nostalgia obstruct their objectivity.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

I voted N64.  I still have mine and it does have a few enjoyable games (my favorite is WaveRace 64).  However I just thought that the graphics were bad even back in the day.  I just couldn't get into the whole "fog" concept and everything was so blurry.  So, so blurry.  For that reason, I thought the N64 had worse visuals (albeit with better framerates sometimes) than the PS or Saturn.  Besides WaveRace 64, I don't recall any N64 game that had memorable music.  That's another strike.  No good music?  Then fuck you, I want good music in my games!

Quote from: natI'm also a fan of the Dreamcast controller, although I'm sure some people would debate me on that one.
I'd definitely be one of those who would debate you on this.

Arkhan Asylum

The Wii is the new N64 imo.  Nintendo went all full retard again and picked a dumb media format, didn't go HD, and hyped the Wiimote too much.  The Wiimote is dumb.  decades of gaming have proven that people don't want to hold their fucking arms up at the screen for playing enjoyment.  All they did was smash like 20 years of stupid ideas into one console.  The first like 3 years of Wii were mostly shitty games.  Dumb gimmicks, shovelware, and stupid crap.   The Wii cant play a DVD movie, but last gen consoles can.  Good job nintendo.

Its just like the N64.   Dead format, dumbass controller, tons of retarded games.

Its not as bad though... theres enough good games, and the quality over all is ok... but compared to the other two systems....

and lets not get into the Friend Code bullshit.

N64 was stupid.  I made fun of N64 people fanboys when I was like 11.  Its pretty sad when 11 year olds can tell the system is a pile of shit.  

PSX had tons of great 2D games, and the 3D games were better than the N64 to boot.   Spyro and  Crash bandicoot were alot better than Mario 64.  N64 had "shooters" but they were sluggish, blurry, and boring.  Not to mention the controller made them a punch in the dick to play.

N64's 2D game library was pretty lacking.

amd how about the RPGs?   Quest 64? looool.

PS: The dreamcast controller is the closest you can get to holding heaven in your hands!
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

N64.  Personally, I don't think Nintendo has had a decent system since the SNES.  Portable yes, but console, no.  That's not saying there aren't great games on any of their newer systems, there are, but, few & far between.  I suppose I ultimately like the Wii the most of their "not so hot" console's, as I think I have more games for it that I enjoy compared to the N64 & GC.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah the Wii is like "3rd times the charm" for shit they should have done 15 years ago.

roflmao

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/30/2011, 07:09 PMN64.  Personally, I don't think Nintendo has had a decent system since the SNES.  Portable yes, but console, no.  That's not saying there aren't great games on any of their newer systems, there are, but, few & far between.  I suppose I ultimately like the Wii the most of their "not so hot" console's, as I think I have more games for it that I enjoy compared to the N64 & GC.
+1

If this hadn't been said already, I'd be saying almost the exact same thing.

The N64 had a few good games, as did the GC (don't even get me started on the Wii...) but they are not even close to the SNES or the NES.

CrackTiger

The Nintendo console whose library I like the least was N64, but I like the Wii library less from what I've played of true Wii (non GC, VC, WW, etc) games. I gave up on it a while ago though. I might like the Monster Hunter game if I give it a try, but I'd still probably like Shadowman 64 all the more. I love Mario 64, but Galaxy was kinda meh because of the controls. If every Wii game allowed you to use a Gamecube or Classic Control pad, I might like it more (I  guess) than N64. But I'm not so sure. I can think of more N64 games I'd like to play with any kind of pad than Wii games with any kind of pad.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2011, 06:58 PMPS: The dreamcast controller is the closest you can get to holding heaven in your hands!
Please. I'm a HUGE fan of the DC but that controller is total shit. Mine stay in a drawer unless I'm playing something like Rez or Shenmue where you pretty much are required to have them. Otherwise I'm always using a stick, or a Saturn pad adaptor.

The DC pad is essentially the Saturn's NiGHTS pad, but aside from the addition of the VMU ports its shittier. The buttons are too small and two too few. Its way less comfortable, the analog stick has a dead zone the size of a SuperGrafx, and the D-pad is so inferior to the Saturn one it can hardly be described.

"The Dreamcast Controller! Better than a 3DO pad!™" - Actual Sega slogan circa 1998.
IMG

roflmao

Mathius

I really don't want to vote simply because I love all the Nintendo consoles and have very good memories of the N64. Mario 64 and Zelda kicked me in the stomach with breathtaking 3D worlds that still impress me to this day. My controllers all still work great, and I have never had any issues with the console's workmanship.

The N64 may be lackluster in it's third-party offerings, and it's 2D potential was killed by the 2D phobia that swept the industry back then, but the N64 will always hold a special place in my heart. Not up there with the SNES or NES, but it'll never leave my side.

Arkhan Asylum

Maybe I have different fingers than you.  I have very skinny, lanky fingers.  I thought my hands fit the dreamcast controller really nicely, and the buttons felt nice to me.  the d-pad was pretty nice for MvC also, and it withheld hours and hours of PSO abuse.

I wish the dreamcast didn't fall on its face.

bartre

damn, i didn't realize that there was so much hate for the n64.
in all honesty, it's my favorite nintendo console.

i know i'm probably going to be brutally raped for this, but imo, the NES is pretty much shit outside of castlevania and mega man.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: bartre on 05/01/2011, 03:54 PMi know i'm probably going to be brutally raped for this, but imo, the NES is pretty much shit outside of castlevania and mega man.
bend over please.

CrackTiger

I like the DC pad for DC games. It's not the greatest control ever, but it gets the job done and I like it so much more than the N64 pad which might be my least favorite official pad from 8-bit onward. When it comes to fighting games for DC, I just use the Saturn pad converter and japanese/Model 2 pads.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2011, 06:58 PMSpyro and Crash bandicoot were alot better than Mario 64.
Does anyone actually believe this?

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2011, 04:19 PMI like the DC pad for DC games. It's not the greatest control ever, but it gets the job done and I like it so much more than the N64 pad which might be my least favorite official pad from 8-bit onward. When it comes to fighting games for DC, I just use the Saturn pad converter and japanese/Model 2 pads.
Sega Master System controllers are terrible.

geralds

I cant understand all the complaints about the n64 i thought it was an awsome system.  I have to say wii is far worse do to its abundance of shitty titles.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/01/2011, 05:35 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/30/2011, 06:58 PMSpyro and Crash bandicoot were alot better than Mario 64.
I seriously fucking hope not. And even if they were better, which they absolutely aren't, the triumph of Mario 64 was that, at the time, there were very few 3D platformers. Almost none, really. The best one was, I think, Floating Runner, and Floating Runner wasn't very good. Then Mario 64 comes out and is totally great right out of the box. It's still one of the best.
IMG

nat

Yeah Mario 64 was one of the N64's shining games for sure. It's only problem was quirky camera issues that plagued all 3D games for years, although it's far from the worst of the lot. And of course sub-par 3D graphics compared to later releases, although that's not really a fair criticism I suppose.

Although, I personally think Super Mario Galaxy blows M64 out of the water as the pinnacle of 3D Mario gaming although M64 is a close second.

Best 2D Mario platformer: Super Mario World (SMB4)
Runner-up: Super Mario Bros. 2

Best 3D Mario platformer: Super Mario Galaxy
Runner-up: Mario 64

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: nat on 05/01/2011, 05:51 PMYeah Mario 64 was one of the N64's shining games for sure. It's only problem was quirky camera issues that plagued all 3D games for years, although it's far from the worst of the lot. And of course sub-par 3D graphics compared to later releases, although that's not really a fair criticism I suppose.

Although, I personally think Super Mario Galaxy blows M64 out of the water as the pinnacle of 3D Mario gaming although M64 is a close second.

Yeah, Mario Galaxy is obviously a better game, but it came 11 years later.

Also, I like New Super Mario Bros Wii more than Super Mario World ( on the same rule that makes Mario Galaxy better than Mario 64, better technology and better dev kits make it a lot easier to make a great game today than before). But everyone is entitled to their opinions.
--DragonmasterDan

nat

I don't think SMG is a better game than M64 because of technical merits alone, although those certainly help. Game and level design is the primary factor in my decision and by the same token, I feel SMB4 is better than New Super Mario Bros. for the same reasons.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/01/2011, 05:35 PM

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2011, 04:19 PMI like the DC pad for DC games. It's not the greatest control ever, but it gets the job done and I like it so much more than the N64 pad which might be my least favorite official pad from 8-bit onward. When it comes to fighting games for DC, I just use the Saturn pad converter and japanese/Model 2 pads.
Sega Master System controllers are terrible.
I deffinitly believe this.  I have never really enjoyed Mario 64.  While I haven't played the Galaxy games, so far, I just don't feel like Mario has transitioned well into 3D.  I love Crash waaaaaaaaaay more the Mario 64, no doubt.  I still haven't played thru the Spyro series yet, even though I own them all.  Ofcoarse, neither series has done so well since the original dev's moved on(Naughty Dog & Insomniac).

Supposedly, the next 3D mario for 3DS is supposed to capture the gameplay of the older games, while making the game 3D.
IMG

Otaking

I voted GameCube, I can't think of single stand out game released for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: nat on 05/01/2011, 06:22 PMI don't think SMG is a better game than M64 because of technical merits alone, although those certainly help. Game and level design is the primary factor in my decision and by the same token, I feel SMB4 is better than New Super Mario Bros. for the same reasons.
I don't think it's technical merits alone. I just think it's so much easier to develop on newer hardware that it makes it easier to make a better game. The fact that you can make larger levels, more detailed areas, better physics on modern consoles makes it that much easier to make a good game than on earlier systems where you had a lot more hurdles to jump over.
--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 05/01/2011, 06:25 PMI voted GameCube, I can't think of single stand out game released for it.
Smash Brothers Melee
Zelda Wind Waker (best modern Zelda)
Super Mario Sunshine (best modern Mario)
F-Zero GX (DROOOL)
Wave Race
Donkey Konga (yeah, I said it)

Lots of good games.  Mostly all first party, but it is what it is.  Throw in a Gameboy player, and the Gamecube really was awesome.

SuperDeadite

Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Joe Redifer

SMW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SMB3

QuoteSuper Mario Sunshine (best modern Mario)
No, no, no.  It's the worst modern Mario by far.  I sold mine and I do not miss it.

Gamecube has Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2.  Part 1 is one of my favorite games of all times.

Arkhan Asylum

I got alot more enjoyment out of the spyro and crash games than I did Mario 64.  Mario 64 was frigging boring and slow.

Spyro, you got to fly around and breath fire, and it had some comedy to it.   I definitely played Spyro 1 more than Mario64.

Mario 64 had the pacing of OoT, without the enjoyment.

nat

Yeah, Mario Sunshine is probably the worst of all the Mario platformers, 2D and 3D combined.

CrackTiger

I tried very hard to get into Super Mario Sunshine, since I was dying for an updated Mario 64 with proper camera controls. I just couldn't do it. It really does trail far behind every other proper Mario platformer for me and wasn't enjoyable at all.

I love the Gamecube though. PSO Ep I & II alone made it a must buy and that single game provided me with as much entertainment as some console's combined libraries.

rag-time4

Quote from: nat on 05/01/2011, 05:51 PMYeah Mario 64 was one of the N64's shining games for sure. It's only problem was quirky camera issues that plagued all 3D games for years, although it's far from the worst of the lot. And of course sub-par 3D graphics compared to later releases, although that's not really a fair criticism I suppose.

I'm also a huge fan of Super Mario 2 (usa), but I've also gotta give JJ and Jeff some love as a truly great 2d platformer. Probably the only game in my collection that's both incredibly fun to play and at the same time capable of drawing a legitimate "what the hell are you playing???" from a roommate!

I had a blast with Super Mario Galaxy as well. Haven't cleared Mario 64 yet though.

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 05/01/2011, 09:34 PMYeah, Mario Sunshine is probably the worst of all the Mario platformers, 2D and 3D combined.
I have to agree with this.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/01/2011, 10:08 PMPSO Ep I & II alone made it a must buy and that single game provided me with as much entertainment as some console's combined libraries.
Dreamcast did it better!

TheClash603

Quote from: Mathius on 05/01/2011, 10:15 PM
Quote from: nat on 05/01/2011, 09:34 PMYeah, Mario Sunshine is probably the worst of all the Mario platformers, 2D and 3D combined.
I have to agree with this.
It is the only Mario game with a gimmick that is original and awesome, in FLUDD.  That sucker makes the game wholly unique, and it provides great challenge and a ton of fun.  No other Mario has the sense of vertical climb that Sunshine does, and I loved it.  Nothing was more satisfying that getting way up to the top of a large structure using your water rocket... and conversely nothing was as upsetting than falling when you were near the top.

The only complaint I can see Mario fans having is that the setting was all beach, which did get a little tiresome.  However, the beach was absolutely breathtaking for the time, and it was a themed game (like Galaxy), so the beach setting made sense.

I guess some people didn't quite get FLUDD, or it was enough to alienate them.

Mathius

I didn't really mind FLUDD. It was the atmosphere that killed for me.