10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

futureman2000

Nice job again!

roflmao

Another entertaining episode!  Loved the stop motion stuff.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2012, 10:21 PMAnother entertaining episode!  Loved the stop motion stuff.
Definitely cool!

I think one of the options within the hidden menu in Diamakumura enables diagonals. I probably should have mentioned that.  :oops:

Joe, I am going to go ahead and let you keep Club Drive, Checkered Flag, Kasumi Ninja, and whatever the hell that other shitty fighter was called. You'll thank me in the end. :P

Joe Redifer

OK.  No, Daimakaimura doesn't have an option to allow diagonals.  The Genesis version lets you turn them on or off, though.

DragonmasterDan

I agree with Dave's comments on the Virtual Boy.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/03/2012, 10:34 PMOK.  No, Daimakaimura doesn't have an option to allow diagonals.  The Genesis version lets you turn them on or off, though.
Seems I am getting them confused. Nevermind.

Mathius

Thanks for the look inside both consoles. I haven't had the courage to try to open them myself.

SuperDeadite

SGX does have a cheat code to add credits, you can go up to 9 I believe.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Joe Redifer

Yeah I found that screen.  There is also a difficulty select and a sound test which I took some liberty with (hint: I like to record game music from real consoles).  I wish Aldynes had a sound test.

Samurai Ghost

Good to see some SGX and, uh... Jaguar hate?!   :P. Great episode as usual!

Tatsujin

daimakaimura sgfx [x--------------------l-------------------] daimakaimura MD
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Samurai Ghost

How do you think it compare to the Saturn arcade port?

Joe Redifer

Poorly, just like all translations.

However:
daimakaimura sgfx [---------------------x-------------------] daimakaimura MD
Better looking, more faithful but worse playing. The arcade plays worse than the MD version.

Samurai Ghost

Yeah the MD version plays really well despite the graphics taking a hit. I still want to get the SGX version though. PM me if you have an extra copy!!

Tatsujin

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 06/12/2012, 02:39 PMHow do you think it compare to the Saturn arcade port?
saturn and psx daimakaimuras are almost arcade perfect. but only almost, since there are small but also annoying differences, just as the music loading times (red book) when cleared a level etc.

also arthur doesn't walk in the grass, as it was in the arcade.

but in terms of graphics etc. the SGFX port sure holds no candles against the later 32-bit ports.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Oh yeah! Well, none of the other versions can say they appeared on the SuperGrafx! :P

bust3dstr8

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/12/2012, 04:20 PMPoorly, just like all translations.

However:
daimakaimura sgfx [---------------------x-------------------] daimakaimura MD
Better looking, more faithful but worse playing. The arcade plays worse than the MD version.
The arcade plays fine if they used 4 way joysticks like the game was designed for :)
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

There's flat out emulations on the PS2, Xbox and PSP Capcom Classics Collections.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

The XBox version is too dark.  The PS2 version doesn't run in progressive scan, to my knowledge.  240p support would be good, but only Sega ever did that aside from Sony's ICO.

Samurai Ghost

So what's the best way to play GnG other than buying the arcade board? I want it to be the SGX version.

Joe Redifer

Tatsujin

x68k would be an option.

SuperDeadite

Tatsujin

that as well? a damn :(

Joe Redifer

Interlacing is the devil.  Really.  I'd rather have Author (Arthur?) in front of the grass and slightly muffled sound than interlacing.  Therefore Saturn.  Or is the PS version better?

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/16/2012, 04:26 PMInterlacing is the devil.  Really.  I'd rather have Author (Arthur?) in front of the grass and slightly muffled sound than interlacing.  Therefore Saturn.  Or is the PS version better?
Why exactly is interlacing not preferred? Anyone have any comparisons?

SuperDeadite

interlaced video = flicker flicker flicker flicker.

Mathius

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 06/17/2012, 10:54 PMinterlaced video = flicker flicker flicker flicker. 
Ah so GnG X68k flickers a lot I take it? Pardon my noob questions. I understand the basics between Interlaced and Progressive, but don't know the pros and cons

SuperDeadite

on a crt interlaced can look ok.  but nowhere near as clean as anything progressive.  on an lcd interlaced = barf inducing imo.  Also there is no excuse for X68k GnG to be interlaced besides pure laziness.

Samurai Ghost

I have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original arcade games are on there, and I just like the Saturn. Never played the PS version though I would expect it to be about the same.

Did the PSP GnG game (which I think is great BTW) have the original as an unlockable? Can't remembering it did or not but that would be an awesome bonus.

Flare65

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 06/17/2012, 11:23 PMI have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original a
Did the PSP GnG game (which I think is great BTW) have the original as an unlockable? Can't remembering it did or not but that would be an awesome bonus.
I don't think it does.  I know they released at least two different versions of the PSP GnG in Japan and neither had it.

DragonmasterDan

Just a quick note, the US prototype Gimmick uses the same mapper/sound chip as Batman: Return of the Joker. That's the only US game that makes a viable donor cart. With that said, your (or Dave's) RetroUSB.com repro has an all in one mapper chip to emulate it. So the special sound chip IS in use on the NES version. It's also used on the PAL B release as well.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 06/17/2012, 11:23 PMI have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original arcade games are on there,
Yeah, all of the two ;)

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/18/2012, 07:03 PM
Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 06/17/2012, 11:23 PMI have the Saturn collection which I like because all of the original arcade games are on there,
Yeah, all of the two ;)
Still, all of them! The Capcom collections are such great values because you get all the major games on one disc rather than shelling out $50+ for one no-frills arcade port.

Mathius

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/18/2012, 05:48 PMJust a quick note, the US prototype Gimmick uses the same mapper/sound chip as Batman: Return of the Joker. That's the only US game that makes a viable donor cart. With that said, your (or Dave's) RetroUSB.com repro has an all in one mapper chip to emulate it. So the special sound chip IS in use on the NES version. It's also used on the PAL B release as well.
I emailed the guy when I bought the repro and inquired on what exactly is in his Gimmick! cart. He said his repros are entirely manufactured with all original parts, but still Gimmick! can't reproduce all the channels in the Famicom version due to hardware missing from the US NES.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Mathius on 06/18/2012, 10:00 PMI emailed the guy when I bought the repro and inquired on what exactly is in his Gimmick! cart. He said his repros are entirely manufactured with all original parts, but still Gimmick! can't reproduce all the channels in the Famicom version due to hardware missing from the US NES.
If you bought it from RetroUSB.com (they were also at MGC downstairs at the NintendoAge booth) they're using a chip to emulate the Return of the Joker sound chip. Prior to that chip that emulates a whole bunch of mappers (and actually even still today), people were sacrificing Return of the Jokers to make Gimmicks!
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/18/2012, 10:10 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 06/18/2012, 10:00 PMI emailed the guy when I bought the repro and inquired on what exactly is in his Gimmick! cart. He said his repros are entirely manufactured with all original parts, but still Gimmick! can't reproduce all the channels in the Famicom version due to hardware missing from the US NES.
If you bought it from RetroUSB.com (they were also at MGC downstairs at the NintendoAge booth) they're using a chip to emulate the Return of the Joker sound chip. Prior to that chip that emulates a whole bunch of mappers (and actually even still today), people were sacrificing Return of the Jokers to make Gimmicks!
Ah ok. I see what yuz is sayin'.  :)

Joe Redifer

You can't add more sound through the cart on an NES.  They got rid of the audio lines on the cart port.  Not sure why, especially since there are about 1,000 more pins on an NES cart than a Famicom cart.

Mathius

Quote from: Mathius on 06/18/2012, 11:28 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 06/18/2012, 10:10 PM
Ah ok. I see what yuz is sayin'.  :)
Edit via post: And I did buy from RetroUSB.com. I wish I would have known that they were at MGC. I would have liked to talk to them.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 06/18/2012, 08:40 PM
Yeah, all of the two ;)
Still, all of them! The Capcom collections are such great values because you get all the major games on one disc rather than shelling out $50+ for one no-frills arcade port.
Sure thing! I have all the makaimura cap collection (makai to kishi) -> PSx (normal release and book release) & Saturn.
in fact I think I have about every makaimura and related game as far japanese console and handheld games go.
back in the days I also had the two PCBs.
for pure collections sake I only need a x68k daimakaimura to complete the everything.

So far out of my head I have the following:

Makaimura:
Makaimura (FC, GBA, PSx reg. & Book, Saturn, PSP).
Daimakaimura (SGFX, MD, PSx reg. & Book, Saturn). (need x68k)
Choumakaimura (SFC, PSX&Book, Saturn)
Choumakaimura R (GBA)
Makaimura for wonderswan (WS)
Goku Makaimura (PSP) (-> there was also a Famitsu demo version)
Goku Makaimura Kai (PSP)

Makaimura related (gaiden):
Red Arremer - Makaimura Gaiden (GB)   
Red Arremer 2 (GB, FC)
Demon's Blazon - Monshou Hen (SFC reg. & SF memory version)
Nazo Makaimura (PSx, Saturn)

Spin off:
Higemaru Makaijima

:)

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/19/2012, 03:44 AM
Yeah, all of the two ;)
Sure thing! I have all the makaimura cap collection (makai to kishi) -> PSx (normal release and book release) & Saturn.
in fact I think I have about every makaimura and related game as far japanese console and handheld games go.
for pure collections sake I only need a x68k daimakaimura to complete the everything.

Makaimura:
Choumakaimura R (GBA)
Goku Makaimura Kai (PSP)

Red Arremer 2 (GB, FC)

Spin off:
Higemaru Makaijima

Damn, you're pretty serious!

So I have to ask you, what do you think of the SGX version? I'll definitely end up buying it at some point, but with the Saturn and MD versions in my collection I wonder how much I'll end up playing it. Still think it looks awesome though and you can't beat the format. Also, you didnt list it but what do you think about the SMS version? Al out picked it up the other day but held back for some reason.

SuperDeadite

But what about the C64 and Amiga??? XD

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/18/2012, 11:28 PMYou can't add more sound through the cart on an NES.  They got rid of the audio lines on the cart port.  Not sure why, especially since there are about 1,000 more pins on an NES cart than a Famicom cart.
Nevermind, I got confused about the mapper. There are two different versions of the mapper used in Gimmick and Return of the Joker. FME-7 and a special version of it. The NES prototype and PAL version only use the regular version without the sound lines. The "special" version of it was used on the Famicom version and adds the additional sound.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 06/19/2012, 04:04 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/19/2012, 03:44 AM
Yeah, all of the two ;)

Makaimura:
Choumakaimura R (GBA)
Goku Makaimura Kai (PSP)

Red Arremer 2 (GB, FC)

Spin off:
Higemaru Makaijima

Damn, you're pretty serious!

So I have to ask you, what do you think of the SGX version? I'll definitely end up buying it at some point, but with the Saturn and MD versions in my collection I wonder how much I'll end up playing it. Still think it looks awesome though and you can't beat the format. Also, you didnt list it but what do you think about the SMS version? Al out picked it up the other day but held back for some reason.
I didn't list up SMS daimakaimura, because there simply is no sms daimakaimura, since it was only released in oversea :)

As I stated, I have been collecting only JPN versions, and also only console & handheld stuff. x68k would just be a nice to have :)

regarding the SGFX Daimakaimura, i think it is absolutely worth to get it. sure it's a down grade to the other later 32bit near arcade perfect ports, but to see what the SGFX/PCE could do back then and the differences to other ports alone is worth to get it.
Also the SGFX has the most nice cover art of all of em by far.

@dead: IMG

GohanX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/18/2012, 11:28 PMYou can't add more sound through the cart on an NES.  They got rid of the audio lines on the cart port.  Not sure why, especially since there are about 1,000 more pins on an NES cart than a Famicom cart.
IIRC, the extra pins on the NES were for the stupid anti piracy lockout chip that caused a whole generation of kids to weep as their NES's blinked eternally. Famicom extra sound can be played through a US NES with a little modding, but I prefer the "Play on a real Famicom" option.

Arkhan Asylum

The C64 GNG is garbitch, and the Amiga one has irritating music.

Also:

You pronounced Granzort's title wrong, and Tramiel's last name.  I would've expected at least one of those to be done right, since you moderate here..

Or, maybe I am mistaken and you pronounced it (Granzort. The full title. Not just Granzort, not Tramiel.) fine.  Tramiel is definitely being pronounced wrong.  It's nitpicking.  But, I feel that if you're going to make videos that you take the time to edit and do commentary on, you should at least pronounce words right.

and the commentary sounds way too forced and cheesy.   It was bland to watch because of that.  It grates on me like Gamestop videos and crappy early morning infomercials.

You should have waited til someone gave you Battle Ace.  Or until you bought it yourself.  If you got your hands on a SGX via borrowing or paying, you should have been able to score the easiest to find game for the entire library.. -_-;

Also, wtftempesthatersgtfo.   The Atari hate better be as fake as the Nintendo fanboy schtick.   As crapass, and floppy as the Jaguar turned out to be, it does have enough games on it now that it isn't that bad to own one and get enjoyment out of.  It offers more variety than the SGX even.  Not that this is a real fair comparison...

aside from that, this was one of the better videos.   Better than that Ninja one where you left out Joe and Mac, that's for sure.

EDIT: parenthesis stuff. For clarity. Not that anyone gives two dicks.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Gran-Zort.  Seems pretty easy to pronounce to me.  The word before it?  Just guessed, didn't care. I even asked Dave how he would pronounce it before I recorded that line.  I pronounced Tramiel the way it is spelled.  I have no other way of knowing how it is pronounced without hearing other people say it.  We get that "too forced" thing all the time.  It's not something we can change, it's just who we are.  LOTS of Youtube shows sound like that.  And I'm not buying games for systems I don't own.  The opinions were based on the games provided.  They were genuine opinions.  The games we played on the Jaguar sucked ass for the most part.

But whatever.  If you don't enjoy the show, don't watch.  We're not trying to be Wikipedia.

Mathius

Ark, I didn't have any intention of buying Battle Ace just because it's a game I don't feel I'd enjoy too much. I am not a completest collector. I just get what looks fun. :)

The Jag isn't for everyone. Though what I sent was arguably the cream of the crop for the system. I was a little disappointed that Joe didn't enjoy Flashback as it's one of my favorite games on any console. What Joe didn't pick up on is that the Genesis version actually has better music. Plus during certain cinemas on the Jag version the music actually loops every FEW SECONDS! Very ear grating!

Samurai Ghost

Yeah I thought your banter/dialog sounded kind of forced at first, but now I find it completely hilarious. Your videos are always informative and entertaining, which can't be said about around 95% of YouTube based shows. Keep it up guys!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/20/2012, 06:41 PMGran-Zort.  Seems pretty easy to pronounce to me.  The word before it?  Just guessed, didn't care. I even asked Dave how he would pronounce it before I recorded that line.  I pronounced Tramiel the way it is spelled.  I have no other way of knowing how it is pronounced without hearing other people say it.  We get that "too forced" thing all the time.  It's not something we can change, it's just who we are.  LOTS of Youtube shows sound like that.  And I'm not buying games for systems I don't own.  The opinions were based on the games provided.  They were genuine opinions.  The games we played on the Jaguar sucked ass for the most part.

But whatever.  If you don't enjoy the show, don't watch.  We're not trying to be Wikipedia.
Christ, really?  lol, I meant the Madou/Mado O part.  For a moderator at PCEFX, you'd think you'd learn how to pronounce the titles of the games in the NEC library.  Get it together man.

As for Tramiel, it's largely known by most people that it's pronounced "tramel", and was even reflected in the name "Tramel Technology Ltd", yknow, TTL.  Named as such because too many people kept saying "tra meal".  These same people who say it right also know that Joe and Mac are cavemen ninjas.   In fact, the answer to the problem is ON wikipedia.   I just checked.   So, you did have another way to know it.  Research is too cool for the Redifer.  Who has time to read all that shit?!  It's like Iron Soldier.  You're so clueless, so often, man.

Anyway, it's debatable that a lot of the games you played did in fact suck ass.  Tempest 2000 and Defender 2000 don't suck, assuming you like the originals, which you probably don't.

Doom doesn't suck.  Wolf3D doesn't either.  Heck, it's Carmack's favorite version even.  Flashback doesn't suck (but you don't like it.  Or maybe it was the other guy.  You both sound the same).  Iron Soldier is pretty good if you spend the time to figure out how to play it.  Of what you reviewed, you reviewed some fairly solid games for that time-frame.  It's a shame you failed to see that, or whatever.  Bitches fail to see the good in games.  It's the Hydlide Effect.  Sucks to be you guys.

You're confusing "sucked ass" and "didn't like".  Only like, 3 of the games mentioned actually suck ass.   The rest, you just don't like. 

Though, I really basically take your gaming opinions with a grain of salt, because you've often been willfully ignorant of certain games, and you often have strange opinions on games anyway.  Plus I recall someone in the video saying Atari has no good games, or something to that effect.  That's crazy jive.   

I laughed at the reply to my similar post on Atari Age in THAT gamesack thread.   Fuckin classic.  " HURRR YOU HAVE CRITICISM ON TWO FORUMS THEREFORE YOU'S TROLLIN' ITS COO, KEEP FOLLOWING ME".  Give me a break.  Use your fucking head.  It's big enough.

How could I be following you?  I've been registered at that forum longer than you, you dipshit.  GameSack has 9 posts.  You don't hide behind aliases (or so you've said), and I sure don't see a Joe Redifer registered or posting on Atari Age.   Good Job, detective.  You caught me. You're just upset that you didn't realize I post on AtariAge.  Hence you trying to take the heat off the criticism by calling me a troll and saying I am following you.

Brilliant job dogging the Atari, and posting it on an Atari forum.  Aces.

I'll keep watching the videos, and providing you with feedback.  Eventually, you might take some of it into account.  Just because I have criticism doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching your video or others like it to hear what others have to say.  I've watched every video.  I've only spoken out a few times.  What the hells wrong with criticism?  Sissy.

You simply suck at taking criticism.  You're doing it here, and you've done it in the past.  "DONT LIKE IT, DONT WATCH IT!".  Pfffft.  How about "thank you for your feedback.  Maybe I will consider some of it.  Also, I will pronounce Tramiel right from now on.  Thank you for clarifying.  I don't give enough shits to find things like this out on my own.".

If that's how Insanity's feedback was taken, there'd be no high scores in future titles, Insanity X's player would be slow as balls, and some other crap.  Slow teleporting, bad scroll-margins, no parallax, and crap.

Criticism is an important part of being a growed up, Joe. 

I hope to God you don't sound that dry when you converse normally.  I hope for the sake of all you speak to that it's just your video-speaking that is blander than shit.  I really do find it hard to believe that you sound like an infomercial salesman at all times. 

IMG

PS: I didn't call you a pussy, so you can't ban me now.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!