RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2009, 12:28 AMOK, before we veer TOO far away from the point of all this, Beyond Shadowgate, however nice the backgrounds look, suffers from what could be considered unnecessary dithering. A little more work on those backgrounds could have resulted in something clearer and nicer without all the dithering mess.
but, dithering looks happy and good on a CRT .... >_>
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Thanks for posting the Xanadu II pics, Black Tiger.  Is there an easy way to count the occurrence of each color in a pic?  I'm wondering what percentage of colors in the Beyond Shadowgate pics appear in only a handful of pixels, similar to the 'noise' you added to the Magical Chase pic.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

awack

Hit the Ice.

PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Warsong.

PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

QuoteI'm still amazed at some of the lackluster comments of Dungeon Explorer II's graphics, which I think are about as good as you could ask for.
Some of the better parts are missing in crystal beans, its also missing some detail here and there.

Joe Redifer

Hit the Ice is a toss up.  They are both different with neither really being better.  They both look very odd.  Warsong is also a toss up.  Better resolution on the Genesis and a bit brighter on the PCE.  Actually I think I will give the edge to the PCE on that one.  It is just a bit more pleasing to my eye.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/15/2009, 09:16 PMHit the Ice is a toss up.  They are both different with neither really being better.  They both look very odd.  Warsong is also a toss up.  Better resolution on the Genesis and a bit brighter on the PCE.  Actually I think I will give the edge to the PCE on that one.  It is just a bit more pleasing to my eye.
Yeah, Hit the Ice does look strange on both ports. These comparisons are very, very close.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Tatsujin

i would give my vote for the md hit of the ice, since it has more details, bigger sprites and looks more arcadish!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

I'm inspired on this one by the Warsong comparison up there. This is a somewhat unfair comparison as the PC-FX screen captures are of a markably lower quality than that of the PS and Saturn caps. When viewing the PC-FX screens, keep in mind that the game isn't really washed out like it appears here-- it's colored just as dark and richly as the other two versions. I think part of the problem is that the Saturn and PS caps are straight from emulators while the PC-FX caps look like they were taken from a TV. I stole 100% of these images as I can't be bothered to capture my own.

This is Warsong 2/Langrisser II/Der Langrisser FX (same game). One of my personal all-time favorite games.

PC-FXSaturnPlaystation
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG

EDIT: While I only own the PC-FX version, the Playstation version looks from the screencaps like the exact same game, pixel-for-pixel while the Saturn version looks like it is basically the same game with subtly redrawn graphics. Also, the PC-FX has beautiful FMV cutscenes; I can't speak for the other two.

shubibiman

Man! I had never heard of a genny version of Hit The Ice! Was it released in the US?
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

SuperDeadite

Der Langrisser is a toss up.  The PC-FX version has more cutscenes, "hard mode" (the dialog is rewritten as a drunken comedy), and more spoken dialog.  But, it has less story paths then the others, and when you use spells, the game has to pause and load.  The PS and Saturn versions have cutscenes, but are missing a few and the quality is lower.  They play smoother though and don't pause when using spells.  The PS1 and Saturn versions also include the oringinal Langrisser on the same disk.

The Saturn port was the final version of the game, it has extra story paths and scenarios, it's a long game.  Also the character portraits were redone again.  And has higher in game resolution then the playstation.  Saturn is my favorite version.  I'd love to play PC-FX hard mode, but the spell loading times get really annoying if you've played the other versions.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

CrackTiger

If we're doing a Langrisser 2 comparison, why not include the MD and SFC games? Does Magic Engine FX have a demo mode like the PCE version? Do the 32-bit Langrisser 2's all use CD music for everything?

It'd also be cool to see the Saturn and PSX Langrisser 1's compared to the MD and PCE versions, although the 32-bit versions were basically directly ported from the PCE version. Are those "Warsong" shots from Warsong or Langrisser MD? Warsong had the portraits redrawn and possibly other alterations.

I think that Hit the Ice looks better on Genesis.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

spenoza

I'm torn on the Langrisser/Warsong for PCE/GEN shots. PCE has slightly better color, but I like the larger viewing area. I think Hit the Ice wins on the Genesis pretty clearly, however.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2009, 12:39 PMI'm torn on the Langrisser/Warsong for PCE/GEN shots. PCE has slightly better color, but I like the larger viewing area. I think Hit the Ice wins on the Genesis pretty clearly, however.
The viewing area will be the same size on a TV and any the PCE version packs in more detail even though it is a slightly lower resolution. Although I prefer the PCE graphics already, the black grid of the MD version is a turn off. Both look good though.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2009, 11:38 AMIf we're doing a Langrisser 2 comparison, why not include the MD and SFC games? Does Magic Engine FX have a demo mode like the PCE version? Do the 32-bit Langrisser 2's all use CD music for everything?
I was going to include the MD and SFC shots in the comparison, but then decided a five-way comparison would look bloated so I stuck with the 32-bit editions. And I can't speak for the PSX or Saturn version, but the PC-FX version uses redbook audio for EVERYTHING. And it has a really, really good soundtrack that sounds a lot like T's Music, but probably isn't.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/16/2009, 12:58 AMi would give my vote for the md hit of the ice, since it has more details, bigger sprites and looks more arcadish!
I vote PCE only because the dim-crappylooking ice on the MD one is ugly.  The PCE one is all bright and icey looking

as for Warsong.... that black grid on the MD one is the most annoying idea ever for a strategy game
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

awack

Some more warsong/langrisser shots, that will be it for this one.

PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

nat

This last set really swings the deal in favor of the Duo. That black grid just fucking DESTROYS the aesthetic of the Genesis version. As huge of a fan of the second game on the PC-FX, I still need need to pick up this first title for the Duo.

Digi.k

Joe Redifer

Many of the battle screens on the Genesis version appear mirrored meaning that the left half of the screen is just a flipped version of the right half.  I disapprove because it is awkward.

Arkhan Asylum

NecroPhile

For Hit the Ice, I prefer the MD version overall.  Its spectators don't look so 'flat' and the lines are more realistic (better than the Turbo's 'painted atop the ice' look anyway), yet the MD's bigger sprites are a bit of a turn-off.  They're inappropriately scaled to the size of the rink, making it look like it would only take six or seven players standing abreast to span the width of the rink.

The Langrisser comparison isn't even close; the Genesis version's drab colors, goofy grid, and lack of detail make it the clear loser.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

runinruder

Quote from: nat on 05/16/2009, 01:37 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/16/2009, 11:38 AMIf we're doing a Langrisser 2 comparison, why not include the MD and SFC games? Does Magic Engine FX have a demo mode like the PCE version? Do the 32-bit Langrisser 2's all use CD music for everything?
I was going to include the MD and SFC shots in the comparison, but then decided a five-way comparison would look bloated so I stuck with the 32-bit editions. And I can't speak for the PSX or Saturn version, but the PC-FX version uses redbook audio for EVERYTHING. And it has a really, really good soundtrack that sounds a lot like T's Music, but probably isn't.
The dude who worked on the Langrisser soundtracks is a legend.  He also worked on the Lunars, the Grandias, and my personal favorite, Gynoug/Wings of Wor, among lots of other games.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

spenoza

Are you talking about Noriyuki Iwadare?

Joe Redifer

That he is.

I wonder, did he do the redbook CD soundtracks for the PCE version or did some schmuck arrange it for him?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/18/2009, 04:19 PMThat he is.

I wonder, did he do the redbook CD soundtracks for the PCE version or did some schmuck arrange it for him?
I bet he did CD soundtracks.

he is dope.

awack

Ninja Gaiden

PC EngineSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

CrackTiger

The PCE version would look a lot better with static bgs instead of choppy scrolling.

awack

Capcom, Tenchi O Kurau(arcade 1989) vs King of the Dragons(arcade 1991)

PC EngineSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: awack on 05/25/2009, 11:49 PMI just posted tenchi o kurau vs king of dragons in the ninja gaiden post.
what post?

i cant find it ><

CrackTiger

Quote from: awack on 05/25/2009, 11:49 PMCapcom, Tenchi O Kurau(arcade 1989) vs King of the Dragons(arcade 1991)
Those are some pretty good match-ups. :)

awack

Yea, trying to keep it interesting.

It might have been a good idea for them to have used a lower resolution for Tenchi o Kurau, i think there are as many as 14 or so sprites on screen in some places.

Quotewhat post?

i cant find it ><
I posted the shots on this page, let me know if you still dont see them.

Joe Redifer

You can go back and EDIT the Ninja Gaiden post to remove the Capcom pics.  That way they don't appear twice.

Anyway, the NES version of Ninja Gaiden gives the PCE a run for its money in some screens, especially that first one.  Does the PCE version scroll choppy?

awack

QuoteDoes the PCE version scroll choppy?
No, i don't think it does...i will probably finish the game in a bit, and post some more shots.

ParanoiaDragon

The game doesn't scroll choppy other then the bg.  It's like the choppy paralax effect in alot of the area's of Ys 3.  However, I wrote down the credits for both games, & they had different programmers.  I figured maybe it was the same chump who didn't know how to fake paralax on the Turbo, but, it was a different chump #-o
IMG

awack

Last of the Ninja Gaiden shots.

PC EngineSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Why last?  There is an SMS version, y'know!  :)

Tatsujin

Quote from: awack on 05/26/2009, 03:24 AMLast of the Ninja Gaiden shots.

pce                                     snes
SNES? don't you mean NES?
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Turbo D

Ninja Gaiden was re-released on the sNeS as a compilation w/ better grafx.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: turbo D on 05/26/2009, 05:07 AMNinja Gaiden was re-released on the sNeS as a compilation w/ better grafx.
so this pix above are from the SNES version? so then I asking me myself, where is the "better" grafx got to? :lol:

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/26/2009, 05:20 AM
Quote from: turbo D on 05/26/2009, 05:07 AMNinja Gaiden was re-released on the sNeS as a compilation w/ better grafx.
so this pix above are from the SNES version? so then I asking me myself, where is the "better" grafx got to? :lol:
lol I was thinking the exact same thing tats.  :lol: I didn't realize the SNES got an "updated" Gaiden. There's no comparison here.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/26/2009, 05:20 AM
Here are some matching NES pics from vgmuseum that I uploaded to my webspace. I don't have time to pair them up with the others this morning, but anyone else can feel free to-

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Ceti Alpha

The SNES version seems to have only had additional colours added to the NES port, while the PCE version looks to have been completely overhauled, yet in keeping with the original.

I threw on the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden the other day, and man, it doesn't play well at all. I haven't played the PCE NG, but I can only assume it's better than the arcade.
IMG

CrackTiger

Here are the Ninja Gaiden shots all matched up-

PCE                                                         SNES                                                        NES
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG
IMG IMGIMG

_Paul

Congrats on the minimum effort they put into the SNES one.

CrackTiger

QuoteDoes the PCE version scroll choppy?
The screen scrolls normal, but sections of the bgs that scroll independantly using animated tiles look choppy. I don't know if it's bad timing, syncing, staggering or what, but it's more of a negative distraction than an improvement.

Many people see the PCE version, some even posting videos on youtube and say that it's basically identical to the NES version, except that it has a little bit more color and some scrolling in the bgs. The SNES version is closer to what many dismiss the PCE graphics as.

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2009, 04:41 PMCongrats on the minimum effort they put into the SNES one.
At least they included all three games. :wink:

I forget, how was the music in the SNES collection?

Joe Redifer

ccovell

But the SNES music is still pretty shitty.  A very, very minimal effort from Tecmo.

TurboXray

Yeah, the new musics on the SNES trilogy cart is total shit. It pissed me off. Assholes!

guyjin

blueraven

Wow. The PCE version is incredibly badass.  =P~

And agreed; the trilogy SNES game has horrible music. I amazed it sells for as much as it does on eBay.

ParanoiaDragon

You should do a comparison between Bonk 3 & Super Bonk, alot of area's have similar gfx, but, he colors are darker on Super Bonk.
IMG