What shmups have an option for a high resolution mode (Arcade Mode)?

Started by Ceti Alpha, 03/22/2008, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceti Alpha

I'm just curious about what games allow you to play with a higher screen resolution. This option can either be in the menu or can be a cheat/code.

I know this is in the TG forum, but I'm curious about either the PCE or TG. I just flipped a coin and picked the TG forum.

As per nat's request, I'm going to maintain a list here. I'll also list the codes next to the games as they are provided.

1943 KAI - Option available in "Options" menu

Burning Angels - Option in menu

Cyber Core - Enter the password "MAKIRIN"

Daisenpu - Hold I and power on the TurboGrafx.

Dragon Saber - Reset the game 30 times for hi-res arcade mode.

Dragon Spirit - Reset the game 57 times for hi-res arcade mode.

Final Soldier - At the title screen, while it says "Normal Mode", press:
Left, Left, I, Right, Right, II, Up, Down, Up, Down
A sound effect will ring as it enables the Stage Select trick, -there will be a purple number near the bottom of the screen.
Repeat the previous code - Left, Left, I, Right, Right, II, Up, Down, Up, Down
If input correctly, you'll hear that sound effect again.
Reset using Run + Select and the game will be running in the higher/"vertical" resolution.

Image Fight - Hold I when the "Irem"  logo gets displayed.

Nexzr - Option available in "Options" menu

Soldier Blade - Option available in "Options" menu

Steam Hearts - in arcade res by default, the margin is used for status & score display... (I guess the next question would be, is there a code to make the screen stretch?  :mrgreen:)

Super Star Soldier - Hold down RUN+SELECT then power on the system. Release RUN+SELECT. In sequence enter L, II, U, II, R, II, D, II, L, I, U, I, R, I, D, I, (I+II)x8, (I+SELECT)x8.

Tatsujin - Option available in "Options" menu: the option screen is available by holding select and by pressing run on the title screen.

Toilet Kids - Press and Hold Select while you turn the machine on, at the title screen.

Twinbee - you need a multitap with 3 connections or more:
Press I, II, Right, Left, Right, Left, Down, Down, Up, Up on controller three at the title screen. Select Vmode in options.

Re: PunkCryborg's post - Here is another link to a compiled list of games with Arcade Mode and their respective codes:

https://www.tg-16.com/arcade-mode-high-resolution-shmups.htm#Alzadick
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Soldier Blade
Image Fight
Nexzr
Cyber Core
Twinbee
Steam Hearts (in arcade res by default, the margin is used for status & score display)

Oh man there is more but I'm drawing a blank.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/22/2008, 02:20 PMa legend says, dragon spirit has a tate mode. true? :shock:
I think what he's talking about is different than tate. Tate is just the option to run a vertical monitor. I think what he's talking about is where it basically just narrows the screen while retaining the horizontal layout. Burning Angles has this and I never use it because I simply cannot figure out what the use is. Tate on the other hand is a fucking lifesaver and in VGA makes a game like Under Defeat (DC) or Ikaruga (DC) significantly more enjoyable.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Cool. I guess I should have also suggested listing the codes the narrow screen mode if it's not directly accessible in the menu.  #-o
IMG

nat

ceti, you should update your original post with contributions as they are made.

So Burning Angels has that mode too... I think Daisenpu does too now that I think about it.

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/22/2008, 02:33 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/22/2008, 02:20 PMa legend says, dragon spirit has a tate mode. true? :shock:
I think what he's talking about is different than tate. Tate is just the option to run a vertical monitor. I think what he's talking about is where it basically just narrows the screen while retaining the horizontal layout.
yo..i know what a tate mode is. and it would've been very cool, if a pce game could manage this option years before saturn and psx did. so it wouldn't be just a "just"^^
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

Quote from: nat on 03/22/2008, 02:57 PMSo Burning Angels has that mode too... I think Daisenpu does too now that I think about it.
ceti, don't forget these two.  :D

EDIT:

Dragon Spirit - Reset the game 57 times for hi-res arcade mode.
Dragon Saber - Reset the game 30 times for hi-res arcade mode.
Cyber-Core - Enter the password "MAKIRIN"
Nexzr - Option available in "Options" menu
Soldier Blade - Ditto

sideshow

Resetting the game 57 times.  Who was the mad man who devised that code.

Ceti Alpha

QuoteResetting the game 57 times.  Who was the mad man who devised that code.
lol. Really though. To go out of your way and make the option available, but only if you reset the game 50 times is absurd.  =; I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Why not just make the option available in the menu?  :-k
IMG

TurboXray

Well- those game are running in mid res mode, not high res mode. IMGSuper Star Soldier is another one where you can change the res by using the cheat to get into the options menu.

nat

You can do that in SSS? Really? I'm going to try that right now. What about Gunhed and Final Soldier?

EDIT: I just went into the hidden menu in SSS and the only options are "Sound test" and "Difficulty select." No arcade resolution mode.

Joe Redifer

Wouldn't increasing the res only anamorphically squish the screen, making everything skinnier?  It wouldn't redraw the sprites and the BGs to have more detail.

TurboXray

Quote from: nat on 03/22/2008, 06:16 PMYou can do that in SSS? Really? I'm going to try that right now. What about Gunhed and Final Soldier?

EDIT: I just went into the hidden menu in SSS and the only options are "Sound test" and "Difficulty select." No arcade resolution mode.
There's another cheat code that puts you in the same screen, except you have stage select. It's in that version.

Digi.k

Detana Twin Bee!?!

for vert screen mode you need a multitap with 3 connections or more:
Press I, II, Right, Left, Right, Left, Down, Down, Up, Up on controller three at the title screen. Select Vmode in options.

Image fight
 Hold I when the "Irem"  logo gets displayed.

nat

Quote from: TurboXray on 03/22/2008, 08:06 PM
Quote from: nat on 03/22/2008, 06:16 PMYou can do that in SSS? Really? I'm going to try that right now. What about Gunhed and Final Soldier?

There's another cheat code that puts you in the same screen, except you have stage select. It's in that version.
So what's the code for that, then? That code isn't on PCECP.

TurboXray

I remember the code being on a magazine back in the day and a pain to put in. Here's a link to it.. IGN: Super Star Soldier (Virtual Console) Cheats

Digi.k

I think its on that code although I can't be bothered right now to check it for ya.. too full up on kebab and Dr pepper.. :o

You have to do this code pretty quick though.. >.>

you'll get something like this

./kwoksta/Image0315-1449CVBS.jpg

nat

Quote from: TurboXray on 03/22/2008, 10:12 PMI remember the code being on a magazine back in the day and a pain to put in. Here's a link to it.. IGN: Super Star Soldier (Virtual Console) Cheats
Well I'll be damned. It sure does!

So here's the code so ceti can add it:

Hold down RUN+SELECT then power on the system. Release RUN+SELECT. In sequence enter L, II, U, II, R, II, D, II, L, I, U, I, R, I, D, I, (I+II)x8, (I+SELECT)x8.

EDIT: It strikes me as extremely odd that SSS and SB have the arcade screen mode but Final Soldier doesn't.

TurboXray

Long ago there was a master cheat list for japanese PCE games. Maybe it has Final Soldier. One could look in the game itself for the cheat. CCovell was able to find a few iirc.

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: TurboXray on 03/23/2008, 01:24 AMLong ago there was a master cheat list for japanese PCE games. Maybe it has Final Soldier. One could look in the game itself for the cheat. CCovell was able to find a few iirc.
I have a few PCE cheat books, including one from 1995 that should contain every trick for every game released up till then.

For Final Soldier it lists this trick as "Tate Mode"-

At the title screen, while it says "Normal Mode", press:

A sound effect will ring as it enables the Stage Select trick, -there will be a purple number near the bottom of the screen.

Repeat the previous code-

If input correctly, you'll hear that sound effect again.

Reset using Run + Select and the game will be running in the higher/"vertical" resolution.

If there are any other games anyone would like me to look up just let me know.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Why not just check all the verticals released up until that point? That would be awesome.

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 03/23/2008, 02:10 PMWhy not just check all the verticals released up until that point? That would be awesome.
I completed the trick and reedited my post.

Games that do not have a "Tate Mode" trick listed-

Armed F
Alzadick
Armed F
Avenger
BL/Guhed -a "... mode" trick involving [57], is this the invincibility trick?
Final Blaster
Galaga '88/'90
Sapphire -couldn't find under "ginga"
God Panic -couldn't find
Hani in the Sky
Image Fight II: Omake Mode- looks like it opens up after finishing the game. Has Visual Test and ship select.
Ultimate Tiger
Metal Stoker
Override
Psychic Storm- "Option Mode(?) trick" -all kinds of stuff, nothing looks like a vertical mode.
Psycho Chaser- 6 tricks, none look like a vertical mode
Raiden
Spriggin- 6 tricks, none look like a vertical mode
Star Parodia- 6 tricks, none look like a vertical mode
Super Raiden
Sylphia
Tatsujin/Truxton
Terra Cresta II
Thunderblade
Toilet Kids
Toy Shop Boys
Xevious -couldn't find it

I also found-

1941 has a "Situation Mode(?)" trick.

Bubblegum Crash has a trick for a "Rinna shower scene"...

Last Armageddon has a "High Speed" mode.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ceti Alpha

IMG

nat

OK.

Alzadick
Armed F
Avenger
BL/Guhed
Galaga '88/'90
Sapphire
God Panic
Hani in the Sky
Image Fight II
Ultimate Tiger
Override
Psychic Storm
Psycho Chaser
Raiden
Star Parodia
Sylphia
Tatsujin/Truxton
Terra Cresta II
Toilet Kids
Toy Shop Boys
Xevious

That's going by memory with a little help from PCECP. I didn't take into account what year they were released though so if your book doesn't cover them just skip over them.

These tricks might also be listed as "Arcade Mode" as opposed to "Tate Mode."

EDIT: I cleaned up ceti's original post to make it easier to read.

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 03/23/2008, 02:21 PMThese tricks might also be listed as "Arcade Mode" as opposed to "Tate Mode."
Thanks. I'm looking for anything resembling a vertical/arcade/tate mode.

Ceti Alpha

Thanks nat. Yeah, I was actually just looking at the all bold and was thinking it should be changed.  :)
IMG

Joe Redifer

How can they be listed as "arcade mode" when the ONLY thing these modes do is squish and distort the graphics?... unless the graphics are stretched and therefore distorted when played in normal mode.  I fail to see the appeal of distorted graphics. 

I also do not like watching 4:3 content stretched to 16:9 on my HDTV.  Distortion sucks.

Turbo D

does s-video help over composite on hdtv stretching? Or do they both look bad?
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Nope.  The cable has nothing to do with the aspect ratio.  If you have an HDTV that only allows certain aspects on certain inputs, then it is a bad HDTV.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/23/2008, 02:31 PMHow can they be listed as "arcade mode" when the ONLY thing these modes do is squish and distort the graphics?... unless the graphics are stretched and therefore distorted when played in normal mode.  I fail to see the appeal of distorted graphics. 

I also do not like watching 4:3 content stretched to 16:9 on my HDTV.  Distortion sucks.
I don't have the time to make sure right now, but looks like Final Soldier doesn't just squish everything. Kinda like that Sega-CD soccer game that offers a wide mode.

I finished checking the rest of the vertical shooters and didn't find any more "tate mode" tricks. The full list is in my Final Soldier trick post.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestooks like Final Soldier doesn't just squish everything.   Kinda like that Sega-CD soccer game that offers a wide mode.
That's exactly what that soccer game does, though.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/23/2008, 03:38 PM
Quote from: CrackTigerooks like Final Soldier doesn't just squish everything.   Kinda like that Sega-CD soccer game that offers a wide mode.
That's exactly what that soccer game does, though.
I thought that it changed the sprites so they appeared the same on a widescreen?

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/23/2008, 02:31 PMHow can they be listed as "arcade mode" when the ONLY thing these modes do is squish and distort the graphics?... unless the graphics are stretched and therefore distorted when played in normal mode.  I fail to see the appeal of distorted graphics. 

On the arcade ports doing said mode makes the game more closely resemble the original aspect. They are not squished or distorted,its how they originally looked before they were stretched out for normal tv/home system consumption.  Full screen mode is taking the original aspect and stretching it out to fit the screen,basically pan and scanning the game which annoys me.

I was glad they finally stopped doing this when they ported Raiden 1&2 to PS1 and beyond with other titles. The other Star Soldier games were prob designed in said aspect also for all we know since they have this mode hidden also. Its clear they look better in it then stretched out. Browning supports a similar res mode like this or Mad Stalker. I would rather play these titles in said mode then stretched out in full screen,image quality ends up better,so I'm thankful this thread got made. I will def give Dragon Spirit and Image Fight more attention now.

Ceti Alpha

Nexzr definitely looks better in "arcade mode". Though I only had my Duo hooked up to my small TV in my bedroom, so I would play with the stretched screen. Once I get my Duo back, I'll hook it up to the big TV S-Video style and play it in arcade mode.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestI thought that it changed the sprites so they appeared the same on a widescreen?
It does.  All it basically does is change the resolution from 256 pixels across to 320.  That way everything onscreen is affected.

nat

Yeah most of the games that offer this "arcade mode" actually look better when you play them like that. Especially Nexzr, like someone else mentioned already, which was the first game that really made me notice the difference.

TurboXray

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/23/2008, 06:06 PM
Quote from: guestI thought that it changed the sprites so they appeared the same on a widescreen?
It does.  All it basically does is change the resolution from 256 pixels across to 320.  That way everything onscreen is affected.
You mean 256 to 352. But yeah, we like it so there. Well.. I like it, anyway. With mednafen I often force games into high res mode - 512. Just because...

nat

@CringeTiger (or anyone with 1943)-- PCECP lists an "arcade mode" cheat for 1943. Black Tiger, you mentioned your book didn't say anything about this. Can you (or someone who owns the game) verify whether or not this code actually works?

TurboXray

Quote from: nat on 03/23/2008, 11:23 PM@CrackTiger (or anyone with 1943)-- PCECP lists an "arcade mode" cheat for 1943. Black Tiger, you mentioned your book didn't say anything about this. Can you (or someone who owns the game) verify whether or not this code actually works?
I can verify the code works, but you don't need it to play in mid res mode - that's already in the options. The "Arcade" cheat allows you to switch between arcade and original mode. Original mode will kick your ass!!

nat

So 1943 has a vertical resolution in the options menu? Hear that, ceti? Another one for the list...

Ceti Alpha

OK, I found the 1943 KAI code here: gamegrid.de/pcengine_cheats.php

Man, I can't wait to try these out.  =P~

Edit: ...I was obviously confused. hehe.  :roll:
IMG

Turbo D

I just tried the superstarsoldier code and it didn't offer higher res or arcade mode. It just offered sound test and game level.  :-k
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

You have to hold RUN+SELECT (with the system off), turn on the system, and continue to hold until the title screen appears. Then release RUN+SELECT and enter the code.

If you enter the code without the RUN+SELECT part you'll get a menu just like you described.

Turbo D

#-o :oops: :)

edit:

This arcade mode rulez!!!  :mrgreen:
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

When I do this mode, I feel like, like,  I am at THE ARCADE!!!!!!!!!!!

Keranu

I am suprised Gate of Thunder didn't have an arcade mode, seeing that it has the arcade feel and all.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

Quote from: Keranu on 03/24/2008, 02:01 AMI am suprised Gate of Thunder didn't have an arcade mode, seeing that it has the arcade feel and all.
Uh, yeah..... except it's a horizontal shooter.  How would a TATE mode make it better?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/22/2008, 02:33 PMIkaruga (DC)
Hmmm that's odd, the only graphical choices in the Gamecube version are all tate.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!