PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

For those who don't know what "LOXII" is, the proper name is Dragon Slayer VIII - The Legend of Xanadu II. The game is not very expensive comparatively speaking.

Mathius

Quote from: turbo D on 07/14/2009, 01:00 AMI too want to get my game on with LOXII, is there a large language barrier by any chance?
Yeah, what Turbo D said.

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 07/14/2009, 01:01 AMFor those who don't know what "LOXII" is, the proper name is Dragon Slayer VIII - The Legend of Xanadu II. The game is not very expensive comparatively speaking.
Well, now I just feel stupid. I thought LOXII was another great, unheard of PC Engine game and all this time I've been clamoring over a Xanadu game! ](*,)

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Mathius on 07/14/2009, 01:09 AM
Quote from: nat on 07/14/2009, 01:01 AMFor those who don't know what "LOXII" is, the proper name is Dragon Slayer VIII - The Legend of Xanadu II. The game is not very expensive comparatively speaking.
Well, now I just feel stupid. I thought LOXII was another great, unheard of PC Engine game and all this time I've been clamoring over a Xanadu game! ](*,)
Join the club.  ](*,)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

turbo D will now join the club as well!

](*,)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Knowledge of japanese is not required to play thru the game!  Also, it's technically called The Last of Dragon Slayer.  Not sure if that means, it's a part of Dragon Slayer 8, or if it litterally is 9, kinda of like how Legend of Heroes 1 & 2 together are aka Dragon Slayer 6.
IMG

guyjin

Wait, the Xanadu games are sequels to Legacy of the Wizard for the NES? Awesome!

Mathius

Quote from: guyjin on 07/14/2009, 06:29 AMWait, the Xanadu games are sequels to Legacy of the Wizard for the NES? Awesome!
Yep:)

Joe Redifer

Dragon Slayer is fucked up.  Why have so many different sub-series within?  Why not just create a different IP instead of just grouping everything under one series?  Maybe we dropped one A-bomb too many and it jacked up their logic?

awack

Spriggan left, released(07/12/91), Space Megaforce right, released(04/28/92), Musha bottom, released(12/21/90).

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG IMG
                      IMG

IMG   IMG
                      IMG

IMG     IMG
                      IMG           

Joe Redifer

I don't think still pictures do these shooters justice.  Those MUSHA pics look awful and quite boring, but when actually playing the game it looks fairly nice.  I still haven't ever played Space Megaforce.  That's a game I'd like to pic up if I can find it.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guyjin on 07/14/2009, 06:29 AMWait, the Xanadu games are sequels to Legacy of the Wizard for the NES? Awesome!
Yeah and Sorcerian is part of the series too!

You got Dragon Slayer I, Romancia, Xanadu, Drasle Family (LotW), Sorcerian, and then all the legend of heroes / xanadu confusion.

:)

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Mathius

The MUSHA pics aren't too bad IMO. The colors are nice and bright considering it's a Genesis game. Wish I owned it. :cry:

The only game I own in that set is Spriggan, and of course Spriggan is a visual masterpiece.

Tatsujin

all three shooties are great. but spriggan tops 'rem all! musha aleste is one of the TOP shooters on the MD. so is super aleste for the SFC (if only those boring bonus stage where not there!!).

and behind all 3 the same developer worked on.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/14/2009, 09:24 PMall three shooties are great. but spriggan tops 'rem all! musha aleste is one of the TOP shooters on the MD. so is super aleste for the SFC (if only those boring bonus stage where not there!!).

and behind all 3 the same developer worked on.
Ah Compile. Rest in peace, my friends.

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/14/2009, 04:35 PMI still haven't ever played Space Megaforce.  That's a game I'd like to pic up if I can find it.
Don't get too excited. Imagine Blazing Lazers, slowed to a crawl, with levels twice as long. The game plods, and I mean PLODS along.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/14/2009, 04:37 PM

You got Dragon Slayer I, Romancia, Xanadu, Drasle Family (LotW), Sorcerian, and then all the legend of heroes / xanadu confusion.

And as I understand it, the Legend of Heroes series is independent of the Dragon Slayer: LoH/LoH: DS series.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Legend of Heroes cannot be independent of Legend of Heroes.  I am surprised that Ys isn't a friggin' Dragon Slayer game.  Fucking Christ!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: nat on 07/14/2009, 09:40 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/14/2009, 04:35 PMI still haven't ever played Space Megaforce.  That's a game I'd like to pic up if I can find it.
Don't get too excited. Imagine Blazing Lazers, slowed to a crawl, with levels twice as long. The game plods, and I mean PLODS along.
You paint quite the picture, nat.  :lol:

All I know is I need Spriggan.
IMG

Tatsujin

beside of the annoying bonus leves and the bit long general levels, super aleste is a actionfull shooter with having almost no rival on the SFC. some fancy use of mode-7 gives him some extra bonus.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 07/14/2009, 10:02 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/14/2009, 04:37 PM

And as I understand it, the Legend of Heroes series is independent of the Dragon Slayer: LoH/LoH: DS series.
Here's how it goes, apparently, the director or producer of all of the DS games, had some stipulation that they be under the DS title, however alot of those games went on to be their own series in themselves.  The series under the DS label as I know it goes:
1-Dragon Slayer
2-Xanadu
3-Romancia
4-Drasle Family/Legacy of the Wizard
5-Sorcerian
6.1-Legend of Heroes 1
6.2-Legend of Heroes 2
7-Lord Monarch
8-Legend of Xanadu
9/Last of Dragon Slayer-Legend of Xanadu 2

Now Xanadu, Sorcerian, Legend of Heroes, & Lord Monarch all branched out into their own series.  For Legend of Heroes, starting with LOH3, none of those games have anything to do with the first 2, & so far, they're up to LOH7(coming out this year I believe), 3-5 are connected, 6 has 3 scenarios.  I think just plain Xanadu (besides having a sequal or 2) is also connected to Xanadu Next, but I'm not sure if it's connected to the LOX games.

Here's a wiki on it all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Slayer_series
IMG

blueraven

Faxanadu for the NES is included also. Can't forget that one.

Adol2009

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/14/2009, 05:16 AMKnowledge of japanese is not required to play thru the game!  Also, it's technically called The Last of Dragon Slayer.  Not sure if that means, it's a part of Dragon Slayer 8, or if it litterally is 9, kinda of like how Legend of Heroes 1 & 2 together are aka Dragon Slayer 6.
There is
Dragon Slayer
Xanadu = Dragon Slayer 2
Romancia = Dragon Slayer 3 (IIRC)
Dragon Slayer 4
Sorcerian = Dragon Slayer 5
Eiyuu Densetsu/Legend of Heroes 1 = Dragon Slayer 6
Eiyuu Densetsu/Legend of Heroes 2 or Lord Monarch (depending of sources) = Dragon Slayer 7
Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu = Dragon Slayer 8 (clearly written as subtitle)

Then Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu 2 would be the 9th in the saga..

Adol2009

Quote from: blueraven on 07/15/2009, 04:27 AMFaxanadu for the NES is included also. Can't forget that one.
Faxanadu is a great game,but you can consider it as a xanadu gaiden,not part of the saga.
I'd consider the same about Lord Monarch,since i saw sources considering ED2 as DS7 as well (i checked the SFC release,again,seems to be a soft coming out for the 10th anniversary of falcom,not specially made about the DS saga..?)
Anyway,there are many sources contradicting between themselves ^^

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/14/2009, 10:04 PMLegend of Heroes cannot be independent of Legend of Heroes.  I am surprised that Ys isn't a friggin' Dragon Slayer game.  Fucking Christ!
I got 3 Legend of Heroes games for PSP
lol

The DS series is the most confusingly awesome series of all time.

Lets pretend Ys is all a prequel to those games just for awesomeness sake
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

I've got screen shots of pretty much everything for Panic Bomber, but I only have time to post these for now-

PCE                                                                      SFC

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

EDIT: just managed to put these together before I'm done for the night. The SFC screens aren't matched perfectly, but it's all pretty much more of the same-

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Ceti Alpha

Thanks again for the pics B_T.  :mrgreen:

Well, I'm giving this one to the SFC. Except for the "Round 1/Map" screen, the SFC just looks better. It was also released a year later.
IMG

awack

Damn, i cant find my copy of Panic Bomberman, this is one i need to see in action.

nat

I disagree with Ceti-- I think the Duo version clearly takes the win here.

CrackTiger

Other than adding background artwork to the play area, everything is downgraded in the SFC version. It's not like many Genesis vs SNES ports where the increase in resolution comes with a big drop in color.

Still shots don't do either game justice, the PCE version is one of the highest quality productions for the system. Everything has nice little effects and animations. The title screen logo has multiple graphic effects each time it comes up, same with the "C 1994 Hudson Soft". The "Bomber" and "Hudson Soft" logos color cycle, the "Push! Run Button" jiggles around, while the background scrolls upward.

After pushing Run, the "letters" all fly across the screen individually. As you navigate between screens, they all rearrange and icons slide on and off the screen. In both versions the little Bomberman heads look around and react to the action.

Here are some shots from the arcade/Neo Geo version matched to the PCE version-

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

IMGIMG

The "Continue?" logo in the PCE version color cycles. The Neo Geo version's music sounds similar to PCE PSG which is pretty cool.

Ceti Alpha

Well, I must admit that these screens do a lot more for the PCE. Very nice.
IMG

NecroPhile

I didn't realize that Panic Bomber was a five player game; is it a good 'un?  I could definitely add another game to the multiplayer mayhem rotation with Bomberman '93/'94, Battle Lode Runner, and the pair o' Dungeon Explorers.

Quote from: nat on 07/19/2009, 07:06 PMI disagree with Ceti-- I think the Duo version clearly takes the win here.
He's clearly drunk on Molson and maple syrup, as the only things going for the SNES version are the title screen and the play field backdrops.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 07/20/2009, 10:37 AMI didn't realize that Panic Bomber was a five player game; is it a good 'un?  I could definitely add another game to the multiplayer mayhem rotation with Bomberman '93/'94, Battle Lode Runner, and the pair o' Dungeon Explorers.

Quote from: nat on 07/19/2009, 07:06 PMI disagree with Ceti-- I think the Duo version clearly takes the win here.
He's clearly drunk on Molson and maple syrup, as the only things going for the SNES version are the title screen and the play field backdrops.
lolmax!!  :P

That's the only way to drink Molson - chase it down with teh maple syrup. Molson Canadian =  :-&
IMG

esteban

B_T, thanks for the screenshot comparisons. Good stuff.

Panic Bomber, unfortunately, is not a particularly engrossing game. Perhaps it does better as a multiplayer... but it can't hold a candle to the likes of Puyo Puyo (also available on PCE).

I don't know, maybe I'll give Panic Bomber another whirl soon, just to see if there is anything to get excited about. I think I can get at least a 3-4 person game going, so we'll see if that has potential.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shubibiman

This post just to tell that I used some of your comparison screenies as I'm having a debate on a french forum.
Here
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

TurboXray

Quote from: shubibiman on 07/25/2009, 05:49 AMThis post just to tell that I used some of your comparison screenies as I'm having a debate on a french forum.
Here
Wow, ange_dechu_lucifer is just like the ignorant Americans I've come across. :lol:

esteban

It is warmly reassuring that silliness transcends national borders :)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tom on 07/25/2009, 10:08 AM
Quote from: shubibiman on 07/25/2009, 05:49 AMThis post just to tell that I used some of your comparison screenies as I'm having a debate on a french forum.
Here
Wow, ange_dechu_lucifer is just like the ignorant Americans I've come across. :lol:
at least hes got a cool avatar.

awack

Puyo Puyo 2, i would do more levels but the pce port kicks my butt...maybe there's a code.

pce                                                             genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

nat

Just based on those screens, the Genesis port definitely looks better than the Duo port. No apparent absence of color, and yet it adds backdrop graphics to the playfield.

awack

PUYO PUYO!

PCE                               GENESIS
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

guyjin

I think I like the Genesis version better in this case.

Tatsujin

but teh pces sound and intro rox teh more :)

Joe Redifer

Please post some of the music from the PCE because I loved it on the Genesis.

Turbo D

I can't beat that damn fish on puyo puyo cd for pce! :x
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TurboXray

Puyo Puyo

Genesis version is 1992? PCE looks like a direct port of that. It's damn close, but the Genesis version gets the slight edge for the shadowed edge of each box holding the jellies/slimies.

Puyo Puyo 2:

Definitely the Genesis one. Why did they scale the title screen into low res for the PCE one!?!? Also, why the missing background? Puyo Puyo 1 had the background and it came out before the sequel. And this, coming from Compile!? This makes me sad :(

awack

QuotePlease post some of the music from the PCE because I loved it on the Genesis.
psg music and sound, i took out the adpcm sndfx.Sorry for the pce music being low, first time messing with sound....and i hate it :D

PCE
fileden.com/files/2009/8/23/2552712/giff.wav

I added a short version of the genesis port
fileden.com/files/2009/8/23/2552712/Puyo%20Puyo%20%28J%29%20%5B%21%5D_000.wav

The voices... in-game, title screen, etc, are better in the pce port, the music in the genesis port will stop when a voice sample is played(in-game).

The only major difference i spotted in the short time i played both versions is what Tom mentioned about the shadows in the genesis game.

CrackTiger

I'm guessing that the logo on the Puyo Puyo 2 PCE title screen is sprites and they refused to reduce the size of only it, so they shrunk everything instead. [-( It does look like a lazy port, but the end result of both Puyo Puyo's on PCE is still good. The arcade versions look like they used Mega Drive hardware.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/23/2009, 10:40 PM... but the end result of both Puyo Puyo's on PCE is still good. The arcade versions look like they used Mega Drive hardware.
Yup. Puyo Puyo is good stuff on PCE.

I think the Puyo in the arcade used 32X technology, however.

Ceti Alpha

Graphically, the MD port has a slight edge over the PCE, but the PCE port's music sounds infinitely better. And that's some really cool music, btw. Thanks for posting those samples. :)

I have to give the PCE the advantage for the music alone. I'd assume the sound is better on the PCE overall as well?
IMG