10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueraven

:shock: I'm speechless.

Enjoy the new Score!!

Mathius

Nice score BlackandBlue!!

Today's the day I don't have to sit my Turbografx in my lap just to play the darned thing. Got me an extension cable :D It was only $14 shipped. Also my Twin Famicom came the other day. I'll try to put up pictures later on.

Sinistron

$45??? Goddamn man.  Nice score.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

BlackandBlue

Thanks guys!

I still am in disbelief myself  :dance:
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

override

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Im thinking to myself why cant sweet deals like this happen to me?

VERY NICE! VERY IMPRESSIVE! IM VERY JEALOUS!

I would have had to given that lady more money...she didnt realize what she had.....
IMG

jperryss

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 06/22/2009, 01:31 PMThanks guys!

I still am in disbelief myself  :dance:
You are in MA and you beat me to that! I saw it on Craigslist last week (the ad was already a few weeks old and I knew it was a longshot).

Good work ya bastid.  :D

BlackandBlue

Quote from: override on 06/22/2009, 01:34 PM:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Im thinking to myself why cant sweet deals like this happen to me?

VERY NICE! VERY IMPRESSIVE! IM VERY JEALOUS!

I would have had to given that lady more money...she didnt realize what she had.....
I wanted to after seeing everything, but I dont trust meeting people I dont know, in areas I dont know, so I only brought enough for what she was asking.

Quote from: jperryss on 06/22/2009, 01:39 PMYou are in MA and you beat me to that! I saw it on Craigslist last week (the ad was already a few weeks old and I knew it was a longshot).

Good work ya bastid.  :D
Yep :) It took her a few days to get back to me (I emailed her 2 weeks ago) and thought it was gone myself.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

NecroPhile

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 06/22/2009, 01:45 PMI wanted to after seeing everything, but I dont trust meeting people I dont know, in areas I dont know, so I only brought enough for what she was asking.
What'd she look like?  Maybe you could've given her a 'tip'.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DJLobo

Wow, BlackandBlue, what a steal! Nice find!
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

jboypacman

Congrats BlackandBlue awesome score! :D

override

Well I went over to the local antique game/trade/sell we jack the prices up way to high store today and found me nice little catch!

I gots Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and R-TYPES (both original games on one disc arcade style with refreshed graphics) for a mere $45!

Castlevania goes from $20 to $40 complete, R-TYPES varies from $10 - $40 and Metal Gear Solid goes from about $10 - $35ish.........Not a bad buy if you ask me!

The shop is ran by an old mexican dude that I think gets all this shit from auctions/flea markets and well ofcourse trades! He has tons of shit for everything except the Duo  :( but stuff for NES, SNES, PSX and especially Sega Carts and more are plentiful!  He used to be descently priced but it seems in the last few months his prices jumped up and its more like shopping at ebay now....Hes a nice guy tho and if you buy a couple he will usually give it to you for a bundle price! I think I would have spend like $60 on all these but he said $45 so thats cool!

Well anyways heres the pictures:  8)

/100_0811.jpg
IMG

BlackandBlue

Not bad at all.  Those games look like they were never even used!

override

Quote from: BlackandBlue on 06/22/2009, 11:27 PMNot bad at all.  Those games look like they were never even used!
Well the R-Type on is flawless, the metal gear has some light scuffs on the  back side of the disc, the castlevania one has some minor scratches on the back side that seem to follow a cleaning pattern...kinda like someone tried to clean one side of it with a rough rag or paper towel. Other than that yeah they are in pretty dang good condition!
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

scored at the local thrift shop -
$12,
Sega Genesis Model 1 with Original under unit Sega CD with Sherlock holms and Sonic CD.

Huzzah!!  Couldn't pass it up.

It came with two controllers and two AC adapters-  I think I've got an extra R/F adapter for a gens model 1 unit.  Is there anything else I'm going to need to get this thing working?

I'm not going to get to test this baby out till I get home tonight   :(  lol
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Any RF adapter will work be it for the NES or even the obscure TurboGrafx-16!

You might need the following:

-"Mixing cable" for the Sega CD.  This is just a simple mini to mini headphone jack cable that can be bought at any Rado Shack.  It goes from the Genesis headphone jack to the "mixing" port on the back of the Sega CD and allows you to adjust noise made by the Genesis in comparison to the noise made by the Sega CD itself.  VERY helpful in games like Road Avenger and Lord of Thunder where the Genesis sound effects are way too loud.  But normally keep that volume slider on the Genesis all the way up.  If you do not use this, then route ALL sound out of the Genesis headphone jack straight to your stereo system (via a heaphone jack to RCA cable that can be had at Radio Shack, etc) or just listen through the RF connection.

-RCA stereo cables to hook the Sega CD up to a stereo system if you use the mixing cable.  Remember, if you do not use the mixing cable and use the RCA cables, you will not hear all of the sounds and cartridges will be silent.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/24/2009, 04:50 PMAny RF adapter will work be it for the NES or even the obscure TurboGrafx-16!

-"Mixing cable" for the Sega CD.  This is just a simple mini to mini headphone jack cable that can be bought at any Rado Shack.  It goes from the Genesis headphone jack to the "mixing" port on the back of the Sega CD and allows you to adjust noise made by the Genesis in comparison to the noise made by the Sega CD itself.  VERY helpful in games like Road Avenger and Lord of Thunder where the Genesis sound effects are way too loud.  But normally keep that volume slider on the Genesis all the way up.  If you do not use this, then route ALL sound out of the Genesis headphone jack straight to your stereo system (via a heaphone jack to RCA cable that can be had at Radio Shack, etc) or just listen through the RF connection.

-RCA stereo cables to hook the Sega CD up to a stereo system if you use the mixing cable.  Remember, if you do not use the mixing cable and use the RCA cables, you will not hear all of the sounds and cartridges will be silent.
well, thank you, that is all very helpful!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Digi.k

these arrived earlier today

/IMG_3311.jpg

Tom Phobos

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/24/2009, 05:12 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/24/2009, 04:50 PMAny RF adapter will work be it for the NES or even the obscure TurboGrafx-16!

well, thank you, that is all very helpful!!
Well as of now its a no-go.  I got the AC adapters and R/F cables and when I get everything powered on I get no Sega CD power.... :( 

Now, I tried the AC adapter's on both the genesis and Sega CD, switched them and everything.  It only works on the gens.  DAMN!!

The Sega CD seems to power on for a split second when I first hit the power button, like the two lights on the front light up for about a fraction of a second.  I fear I may need to open this beast up... and probably move further questions or assistance to a more appropriate thread/ forum...lol

Joe Redifer

That sucks.  That could be a dead mobo in the Sega CD.  But then again, maybe not.  I experienced where when you power up you get the initial screen, but it is frozen and that was a bad mobo.  Could be some sort of connection error.  Make sure the power supply for the Sega CD is 36 Volts or something like that.  The Genesis power supply should be 17 volts (I think).  If they are both 17, the Sega CD might not work.

Tom Phobos, I have never heard of that game.  Is it an official US release?

Arjak

TG-16:

-Lords of the Rising Sun

-Devil's Crush

-Super Star Soldier

Sega CD:

-Terminator
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Sinistron

This time I officially capped off my recent pce shopping spree with mint (according to Toshi) copies of Double Dragon II and Chiki Chiki Boys  :)
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

override

I bought this like forever ago (several years when still in highschool) and my friend has been hanging on to it since then. I seem to have always forget about it when I wanted to get it back while visiting. I now live in the same area as him and went to his house to pick it up tonight! I paid a $1.00 for this at a garage sale in angleton, Texas!

It is complete with all manual, paperwork etc! The only thing Im missing is the RF module. Of course that is simply replace with an old nes one or TG one.

For any means I took a couple pics for yall to see! I wish the box was in better shape but its torn from the left to right about half way down the top on both sides. My guess is its from taking it in and out of the box over the years who knows if the peeps where the original owners.

/100_0814.jpg
/100_0816.jpg
IMG

blueraven

Super awesome, over! Great score on the coleco!

Purchased Square Enix Crystal Defenders for the iPhone.

override

Quote from: blueraven on 07/03/2009, 04:29 AMSuper awesome, over! Great score on the coleco!

Purchased Square Enix Crystal Defenders for the iPhone. 
Hehe!  Yeah thanks man!
IMG

esteban

Quote from: override on 06/22/2009, 09:29 PMI gots Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and R-TYPES (both original games on one disc arcade style with refreshed graphics) for a mere $45!
R-Types alone is worth it for $45. For a laugh, look at the silly "updated" 3-D intro cinema. It can't compare to the (admittedly lackluster) cinemas from PCE R-Type Complete CD.

For further fun, I found a bug in R-Type 1: If you kill the first boss, but then die (or vice-versa), you'll play the second stage with jacked-up graphics (think of NES games when some/all tiles get wonky). Stay in the middle of the screen (vertically) to avoid the walls (you can't see them, but you'll crash into them). I think I almost made it to the second boss... I still want to see what happens if you beat the second boss.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

some 100yen hard-/book off haulies :)

/haul20090705.jpg
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ninja Spirit

IMG

Though it's limited in features, KORG DS-10 is still crack. You can move a crowd with this thing.

I wish I had a DSi though, cause on KORG if you tape a straw to the DSi speaker you can turn it into a Daft Punk/Peter Frampton/Roger Zapp-esque talkbox

I did it on the DSLite, but you can barely hear yourself.

guyjin

12 games for $1 each: Primal Rage*, Chakan, Sonic&knuckles, Strider; SNES Choplifter 3, Jungle strike, Killer instinct*, Star Trek: the next generation; NES Marble Madness, Lunar pool, Renegade, Fantasy zone (tengen cart).

*: yes I know these games are bad.

blueraven

Quote from: guyjin on 07/06/2009, 10:10 PM*: yes I know these games are bad.
:lol:

Picked up The Family Guy game for the PSP for $2.50 at Target. They also had a $2.50 bass fishing game but I nodded off while reading the box so I put it back.

Joe Redifer

Today I bought some Burger King.  I was sad because I wanted to go someplace better, but most other places had already shut down for the evening.  It was all new/mint/complete, though.

Sparky

In the mail yesterday some goodies from the man they call gekioh!!....

Bomberman '93 manual & Time Cruise manual... ooooh i needy
and for the Duo Might & Freak'n Magic III :).......whoop, whoop!!!!

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/07/2009, 03:59 AMToday I bought some Burger King.  I was sad because I wanted to go someplace better, but most other places had already shut down for the evening.  It was all new/mint/complete, though.
Hmmmmmm, I'll give you complete. But mint?

jperryss

Not VG related, but I got a custom line-out dock and a cmoy pocket amp for my iPod touch. Yes, it's inside an Altoids tin.  :mrgreen:

IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

But why?  I know iPods sounds crappy, but does that fix the issue?  How long would that 9-volt last?

blueraven

jperryss, is that an Arduino board/unit powering the amp?

Quote from: jperryss on 07/10/2009, 06:56 PMNot VG related, but I got a custom line-out dock and a cmoy pocket amp for my iPod touch. Yes, it's inside an Altoids tin.  :mrgreen:

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/11/2009, 04:12 AMBut why?  I know iPods sounds crappy, but does that fix the issue?  How long would that 9-volt last?
It's a heavy duty 9-volt. Those things never wane.

By the way, Joe, I just checked out your site (a day or two ago) and I absolutely loved the InterFilm stuff you had on there. I had never heard of it before (no big surprise). I loved the "Making of" featurette... I couldn't tell if some folks were serious (they seemed as if they were trying to distance themselves from the film), or if it was just they're way of having a laugh. The director/creator dude was pure gold. Platinum.

jperryss

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/11/2009, 04:12 AMBut why?  I know iPods sounds crappy, but does that fix the issue?  How long would that 9-volt last?
There are three reasons why iPods 'sound like crap':
1. The stock earbuds, which are absolute shit. I have a pair of full-sized cans (Sennheiser HD280 Pros) and a set of small clip-on style phones (Koss KSC-75). They both sound fantastic with this setup.
2. Crappy MP3 encoding. All of my stuff is ripped as WAV from my own collection, then converted to m4a lossless. Not only is it indistinguishable (to me) from the original CD, but I can burn it to disc if I need to for a bit-perfect copy of the original.
3. The iPod internal amp is mediocre. By using the line-out port instead of the headphone jack, the signal bypasses the internal amp circuitry of the iPod and provides a cleaner, more direct signal to the output source. The iPod volume control is disabled when using the line-out (since that is all done in the iPod's amp section) but the cmoy amp has a volume control so it's a non-issue.

These three things definitely fix the crappy sound issue.  :mrgreen:

That 9v battery came with the amp, I plan on getting a rechargeable 9v at some point before this one dies. People typically get 20-30 hours out of a standard 250mAh 9v battery, depending on how loud you're cranking the thing.

Quote from: blueraven on 07/11/2009, 04:56 AMjperryss, is that an Arduino board/unit powering the amp?
It's actually a cmoyBB, based loosely on the original cmoy design. This design is from John Seaber at JDS Labs and includes a bass boost switch.

blueraven

Quote from: jperryss on 07/11/2009, 01:04 PM
There are three reasons why iPods 'sound like crap':
1. The stock earbuds, which are absolute shit. I have a pair of full-sized cans (Sennheiser HD280 Pros) and a set of small clip-on style phones (Koss KSC-75). They both sound fantastic with this setup.
2. Crappy MP3 encoding. All of my stuff is ripped as WAV from my own collection, then converted to m4a lossless. Not only is it indistinguishable (to me) from the original CD, but I can burn it to disc if I need to for a bit-perfect copy of the original.
3. The iPod internal amp is mediocre. By using the line-out port instead of the headphone jack, the signal bypasses the internal amp circuitry of the iPod and provides a cleaner, more direct signal to the output source. The iPod volume control is disabled when using the line-out (since that is all done in the iPod's amp section) but the cmoy amp has a volume control so it's a non-issue.
I agree 100% I have a pair of Shure noise-cancelling earbuds, and an ancient pair of Boss Headphones. I gave my apple earbuds to a Mac User friend of mine.

Quote from: jperryss on 07/11/2009, 01:04 PMThese three things definitely fix the crappy sound issue.  :mrgreen:

That 9v battery came with the amp, I plan on getting a rechargeable 9v at some point before this one dies. People typically get 20-30 hours out of a standard 250mAh 9v battery, depending on how loud you're cranking the thing.

Quote from: blueraven on 07/11/2009, 04:56 AMjperryss, is that an Arduino board/unit powering the amp?
It's actually a cmoyBB, based loosely on the original cmoy design. This design is from John Seaber at JDS Labs and includes a bass boost switch.
Thank you! Very cool, The Arduino is an open-source board and I've seen similar applications.

www.arduino.cc

override

These are my scores from over the last 2 weeks!

/TGGames.jpg

The Bonk (shitty condition), Far East of Eden(complete) and Dragonslayer 2 (w/map, no spine card) where from Perfectera...... :|

Legendary axe manual has water damage but sparky has one to sell to me! - $4.00

Neutopia I and II are in GREAT condition, got from hoobs on here! - $35 If I remember right.

(US) Dragon Slayer was another ebay buy, good guy, is complete! I think I scored it for $10.

Cosmic Fantasy is new from ebay, I think it was $10.

Dragons Curse was from ebay - $8ish

/NESGames.jpg

Super Mario World is complete still in shrinkwrap! - $6

Excitebike complete - $5

The other 3 were a lot on ebay scored them all complete for $20.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Nice haul there, overrride!

Jerrypuss, I agree about what causes the iPods to sound like crap.  But with my awesome as hizzel studio headPh0nze and direct uncompressed sound files, the iPods still sound much worse than, say, my portable MiniDisc recorders..  That amp looks to fix that.  However if you want to be cool you'll have to use a tube-style amplifier.  :)

SuperDeadite

Good old Recycle Store had a nice Virtual Boy for $30.  Most of the games were only $5 too.  Yay for failed systems!  :mrgreen:

IMG
IMG
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Mathius

Nice find there SuperDeadite. I'll send you some Advil for them headaches you'll inevitably get. :lol:

The day finally came. My copy of Dracula X Super CD-ROM2 is here. I haven't played it yet, but I will when I get home from work tonight. I am SO stoked, I have been waiting TEN years to play this game.

override

Thanks for the nice words!

SuperDeadite im jealous thats kickass! and a really good price and great condition!

I remember when that system came out and me and my chick friend (it was her system) went to the school park and layed out in the grass and took turns playing one weekend some shooting game that resembles starfox ships! AHHH the memories!  :lol:
IMG

Arjak

Quote from: override on 07/13/2009, 01:04 PMI remember when that system came out and me and my chick friend (it was her system) went to the school park and layed out in the grass and took turns playing one weekend some shooting game that resembles starfox ships! AHHH the memories!  :lol:
Would that be Red Alarm?

Anyway, I have Road Rash and Gunstar Heroes for Genesis on the way.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

override

Quote from: Arjak on 07/13/2009, 02:22 PM
Quote from: override on 07/13/2009, 01:04 PMI remember when that system came out and me and my chick friend (it was her system) went to the school park and layed out in the grass and took turns playing one weekend some shooting game that resembles starfox ships! AHHH the memories!  :lol:
Would that be Red Alarm?

Anyway, I have Road Rash and Gunstar Heroes for Genesis on the way.
Red Alarm....sounds very familiar!
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 07/13/2009, 09:35 AMGood old Recycle Store had a nice Virtual Boy for $30.  Most of the games were only $5 too.
$30 for the Virtual Boy, $5 for the games, $10,000 for the Vicodin addiction you will soon develop.

NecroPhile

Very nice V.B. collection haul, SuperDeadite.  I'm kinda jealous.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Grandmaster

i got 3 N64 carts - Chameleon Twist, Mischief Makers and Turok.. happy about those  :)

but i'm really happy about this little gem. it gets mixed opinions from people, but i think it's very fun!

IMG

SuperDeadite

Actually I haven't gotten any headaches from the VB yet.  I take a 2 minute break when the system auto-pauses, and that's been enough so far.  I played Mario Tennis for several hours last night.  It's quite imersive if you play in complete darkness on your back.  Red Alarm is quite good, I also really like Innsomouth no Yakata.  Japan only FPS based on the H.P. Lovecraft story. It's very simple, but it's really fast and smooth as monsters bust out of walls in 3D.  Good stuff.  :D
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite