10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Reefer Madness

Started by oldskool, 04/20/2010, 03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

It seems as though lately, everywhere I turn, there is mention of marijuana.  Whether it be polls, television shows, laws, busts, etc etc.  It seems like there is a movement happening.  One that's been going on for a long time now, but has become pretty strong as of late.  Personally I think they should just cut the crap and legalize it in all 50 states and  just get it over with, because with the way things are going it's going to happen sooner or later anyways.  Besides, like many other issues with this country, it's unconstitutional to criminalize it.  And sorry, but making it legal with "tax stamps" doesn't cut it especially since they were never available to begin with. 
 8-[ 8-[ 8-[ 8-[

Arkhan Asylum

THATS ACAUSE ITS 4/20 DUDE

LOLZ SMOKE IT UP YE YE YE YE YE

IMG
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

oldskool

Oh you are right, that's it!  I didn't even notice.  Ooops wrong section, I thought I was in chit-chat.  Ahhh well - I guess it can be console related.  Get into the zone!  TURBO ZONE!

RoyVegas

Well old, it's a little more aggressive here.  See, they can't legalize it in California so the Californians are trying to get it legalized here first.  It's been happening for a few years now.  Every year they get closer and closer to legalizing it.
All is well. :)

NecroPhile

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/20/2010, 11:43 AMEvery year they get closer and closer to legalizing it.
And yet tobacco is slowly being criminalized.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2010, 12:00 PMAnd yet tobacco is slowly being criminalized.
As a smoker (cigs) myself, I think it should be criminalized.  It's killing me (don't get excited about this, I'm not dying any time soon)!

NecroPhile

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/20/2010, 12:29 PMAs a smoker (cigs) myself, I think it should be criminalized.  It's killing me (don't get excited about this, I'm not dying any time soon)! 
Soooo..... just stop it!  Problem solved.

Joe Redifer

They should legalize MJ just so the potheads will stop their constant whining about it.  Smoke in any form still disgusts me, however.  Why people want to inhale such stuff into their lungs will forever be beyond my comprehension.  Who was the first to think "Hey, let's INHALE this... that'll be a good thing!"  If you do pot, stick with brownies or the like and keep the smoke stuff off of your electronics, games, hair, clothing, etc.  Believe me, I can tell when stuff I buy comes from a smoker of cigs or pot.  You can't smell it because you are used to it, but I sure can.  Only if the smoker is very careful are such things avoided.

Arkhan Asylum

careful smoker? lollll

all the smokers I see teeter the cigarette over all their gear, with the ash just about to fall off, all the time.

>_<
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

RoyVegas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/20/2010, 12:39 PMBelieve me, I can tell when stuff I buy comes from a smoker of cigs or pot.  You can't smell it because you are used to it, but I sure can.  Only if the smoker is very careful are such things avoided.
Very true Joe.  If you smoke in your house it pretty much turns everything yellow with a lovely film that you just cant get off.  I however, only smoke outside so the only thing that stinks is ME!   :lol:

Mainly I am trying to keep the smoke away from my kids.   O:)

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2010, 12:47 PMcareful smoker? lollll

all the smokers I see teeter the cigarette over all their gear, with the ash just about to fall off, all the time.

>_<
Cmon Arkhan, don't label everyone that smokes.  Some of us try to be respectful and careful about it.

Ah crap, I took this off topic.  This isn't about regular nasty smokers like me, it's about potheads...   :dance:

Joe Redifer

It's true, Arkhan.  I've bought things from smokers before where I could not tell.  But I've found other things in thrift stores and eBay (yeah, I know) where it was overpowering.  Even letting the game sit outside opened all night did not help much.  My first Neo Geo was like that.  I actually disassembled it and let the pCB and the open casing sit outside and it still didn't help much.  And that thing eventually died.

Arkhan Asylum

I dont buy things from smokers.  I bought an Amiga from a smoker one time

they shooped the ebay pics and said it was clean

that fucker was banana yellow, and some of the keys crunched when you pressed them! LOL

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 04/20/2010, 01:41 PMI dont buy things from smokers.  I bought an Amiga from a smoker one time

they shooped the ebay pics and said it was clean

that fucker was banana yellow, and some of the keys crunched when you pressed them! LOL
Ok, so you had a bad experiance but that doesn't make all smokers like that.  I dated a chick once and she cheated on me.  Does that mean all women MUST be whores?  Don't get me wrong, I would say most smokers probably do smoke in their houses.  I personally don't because I don't want all my stuff looking and smelling like shit.  Maybe I'm just the exception to the rule.

jperryss

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/20/2010, 02:49 PMDon't get me wrong, I would say most smokers probably do smoke in their houses.  I personally don't because I don't want all my stuff looking and smelling like shit.  Maybe I'm just the exception to the rule.
I don't smoke in the house either. Partly because of the smell, and partly because I smoke less if I force myself to go outside to do it.

Joe Redifer

Responsible smokers have my respect.  Good call, guys!  Irresponsible ones certainly do not have it.

RoyVegas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/20/2010, 06:16 PMResponsible smokers have my respect.  Good call, guys!  Irresponsible ones certainly do not have it.
You'll be able to tell if I'm responsible with it when your Somer Assault gets there.   :wink:

oldskool

Responsible smokers throw their butts out the window, to keep their ash trays clean of course.  Don't want a yellow ash tray.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/20/2010, 02:49 PMOk, so you had a bad experiance but that doesn't make all smokers like that.  I dated a chick once and she cheated on me.  Does that mean all women MUST be whores?  Don't get me wrong, I would say most smokers probably do smoke in their houses.  I personally don't because I don't want all my stuff looking and smelling like shit.  Maybe I'm just the exception to the rule.
Every smoker I know (a dickload of em) smokes wherever, with little regard for the aioesjvcasefjas;klfj that occurs from it.

:)  Hats off to people who are neat about it though.   Seems like those kinda smokers are in the minority

Digi.k

you guys should goto amsterdam.. can buy it in the cakes too at the so called coffee shops... went there around 95 with a group of youth workers who all took time off to get high while I *ahem* wandered off into the red light area..

oldskool

I would love Amsterdam, AND the red light district..    :-" :-"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: oldskool on 04/20/2010, 10:57 PMI would love Amsterdam, AND the red light district..    :-" :-"
yeah man! you can get completely baked and wake up with a dildo shoved in your ass!
WOOO! DRUGS! :)

lol.

anyone see Eurotrip?

Gogan

Reefer Madness.

I frickin love that movie!

I'm a cig smoker and former pothead, and agree that outside is best for cigs. As of May 1st, you can't smoke in bars/restaurants here in Michigan and I couldn't be happier, the shit really makes the bar feel...dirty.

As for pot, don't really see the big deal in legalizing it, I mean IMO, alcohol does more damage to a person and their surroundings than pot. I'd rather have someone high on pot driving next to me than someone drunk on jesus juice.
Nothin beats the real thing.

Arkhan Asylum

they passed that "smoke outside" rule in Ohio awhile ago and it cracks me up.

Youll see tough guys outside of bars in the winter, wearing jeans + tshirt, in the snow, puffing on cigarettes, still trying to look tough as they clench their arms and shiver.

that or everyone who goes to bars and smokes has parkinsons.

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2010, 12:25 PMYoull see tough guys outside of bars in the winter, wearing jeans + tshirt, in the snow, puffing on cigarettes, still trying to look tough as they clench their arms and shiver.
I know that feeling..  I lived in North Dakota for a year.  Nothing like going out to smoke when its -40 with wind chill.    :roll:

Gogan

Most states have that ban I believe. Michigan is just way behind on everything :-/
Nothin beats the real thing.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/20/2010, 12:39 PMThey should legalize MJ just so the potheads will stop their constant whining about it. 
Yeah, its pretty annoying to hear them go on and on about their "cause". Of course, since there are a couple of hundred thousand people in prison right now because of weed possession, which is bullshit, I'd say they really do have a cause.

As the OP said, legalization is imminent. "There is nothing more powerful than an idea who's time has come.", and all that. Slavery didn't end because congress passed a law, it ended because it was unsustainable, and the public at large didn't want it anymore. MJ will be legalized once everyone stops being scared of it, and we are nearly at that point.
IMG

RoyVegas

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/21/2010, 12:53 PMOf course, since there are a couple of hundred thousand people in prison right now because of weed possession, which is bullshit, I'd say they really do have a cause.
Just because you see a law as "bullshit" doesn't make it any less of a law.  Rules are rules, those people made a choice to break the law and that's the risk they took.  Now they're paying for it.  But hey, once it's legal, feel free to smoke it.

oldskool

It's still bullshit.  I don't care if it's law or not.

And as far as Amsterdam, yeah I'd wake up with a dildo in my ass..   :roll: :roll:

RoyVegas

Quote from: oldskool on 04/21/2010, 01:37 PMIt's still bullshit.  I don't care if it's law or not.
It's still the law.  I didn't say I agreed or disagreed with it, it's still the law.

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2010, 07:57 AMyeah man! you can get completely baked and wake up with a dildo shoved in your ass!
WOOO! DRUGS! :)
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: oldskool on 04/21/2010, 01:37 PMIt's still bullshit.  I don't care if it's law or not.

And as far as Amsterdam, yeah I'd wake up with a dildo in my ass..   :roll: :roll:
aww that was only a joke, lol

man, Eurotrip was a funny movie.

I dont see why dope is illegal really.  Cities (OOPS, lol) like Amsterdam do just fine with people being weed happy.

All I think would happen is, the "ooo ILLEGAL!" buzz would wear off , and even the heavy dopers will end up cutting back.

and then people that just want a little high wont have to go to some crack alley, get knifed, and get robbed just to smoke a joint.

that or everyone whos into crime will ride around high as kites shooting at people.

JoshTurboTrollX

Wisconsin Smoking ban starts July 1st.  Damn, can't wait!!

I only poofed once back in my senior year in High School.  Wound up in a folding chair sitting in the middle of a river.  A couple friends saw me and pulled me in.  I didn't like how I felt so I've never done it since.  Also I've known a few pot heads in the past 20 years and had BAD experiences with pretty much all of them.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

oldskool

Sounds like you were around the wrong people period, whether they smoked pot or not.  I'm sure the pot was not a determining factor with the way they acted.  It's probably just the way they WERE.

I thought Amsterdam was a city, not a country?

Oh yeah, Euro Trip!  Haha, awesome movie.

As far as people running around high as a kite and shooting everyone, only in Reefer Madness.  Or they were high on something else. . hehe.  Cause if they were smokin' teh buds, they'd be at home chillin' with not a worry on their minds.   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keranu

oldskool can be my official spokesperson for this thread.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: RoyVegasJust because you see a law as "bullshit" doesn't make it any less of a law.  Rules are rules, those people made a choice to break the law and that's the risk they took.  Now they're paying for it.  But hey, once it's legal, feel free to smoke it. 
Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Well, for obedient stooges like you it does, but laws, more or less, reflect the public sentiment of the people at large. Butt sex used to be an imprisonable offense in large parts of the world. Now its only illegal in places like Iran (where more people have your sort of support for draconian laws) because people lost interest in sending people to jail for it (or executing them, or chemical castration, or whatever). Anti-sodomy laws didn't go away because people sent letters to their congressmen, and anti-weed laws won't go away via that method either.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:26 AMdraconian laws
Man, I got into a battle with some Draconians one time.

They jacked my bards ass up pretty bad.

Pretty sure they broke some sodomy laws.

RoyVegas

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:26 AMYeah, it doesn't work that way. Well, for obedient stooges like you it does, but laws, more or less, reflect the public sentiment of the people at large.
Ok, since the laws only work for obedient stooges like me, how about you go light up a joint in front of your local police station?  I guess they also work for chickenshits like youself.  =;

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/22/2010, 10:04 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:26 AMYeah, it doesn't work that way. Well, for obedient stooges like you it does, but laws, more or less, reflect the public sentiment of the people at large.
Ok, since the laws only work for obedient stooges like me, how about you go light up a joint in front of your local police station?  I guess they also work for chickenshits like youself.  =;
no no see, thats not working FOR him, its working AGAINST him. :)

shit though man, i wouldnt want to piss off any draconians.

NecroPhile

Quote from: oldskool on 04/21/2010, 09:03 PMI thought Amsterdam was a city, not a country?
Amsterdam is the city, Netherlands is the country; and contrary to popular belief, weed is illegal in the Netherlands, but they don't always enforce the law.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/22/2010, 10:04 AM
Bad choice of example since I live in Washtenaw county, home of Hash Bash. Its only a $5-25 for first offense. We decided to ignore Michigan's insane drug policy. Amazingly, there are no burning overturned cars in the streets or roaming gangs of highwaymen.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 04/22/2010, 10:32 AMAmsterdam is the city, Netherlands is the country
yeah, oops, :D .  Youd think I'd stop fucking that up by now considering 80% of the people I talk to every day live there.

Quote; and contrary to popular belief, weed is illegal in the Netherlands, but they don't always enforce the law.
It's legal to purchase from coffee shops (thats what the weed shop is called), and walk around with it and toke up (though you may get sent home from cops if you're out in public, blazing up).   

However, It's not legal to buy it from the coffeeshop and then start reselling it out of your basement like some trailer trash nimrod.

the idea is that personal use is legal, but commercial exploitation is illegal.

Some local governments even grow the dope themselves to be sold, lol.

also, prostitution is legal :D.

WHORES AND WEED, WHOS COMIN WITH ME FOR VACATION?

RoyVegas

You seem to be missing my point Zeta.  Bullshit or not, the law is the law.  Everyone has to make a personal choice if they follow it or not.  Knowing things are illegal and doing them anyway people are making the choice and also have to face the consequences.  I drove to work today with no seatbelt on knowing if I got caught I would face a ticket or injury/death but I didn't put it on.  I made that choice knowing what could happen.  Like I said I'm not saying the laws are fair or not, I'm just stating they are there to follow and those who don't follow them know what can happen and take that risk.

I'm curious, you say $5-25 for the first offense.  What happens after that?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/22/2010, 01:16 PMIt's legal to purchase from coffee shops (thats what the weed shop is called), and walk around with it and toke up (though you may get sent home from cops if you're out in public, blazing up).  

However, It's not legal to buy it from the coffeeshop and then start reselling it out of your basement like some trailer trash nimrod.

the idea is that personal use is legal, but commercial exploitation is illegal.
Cannabis is technically still illegal, as the Opium Act (which criminalized all sorts of narcotics, including weed) was never repealed; they only amended the law to include prosecutorial guidelines, effectively neutering the law in most circumstances.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: RoyVegas on 04/22/2010, 01:32 PMYou seem to be missing my point Zeta.  Bullshit or not, the law is the law.  Everyone has to make a personal choice if they follow it or not.  Knowing things are illegal and doing them anyway people are making the choice and also have to face the consequences.  I drove to work today with no seatbelt on knowing if I got caught I would face a ticket or injury/death but I didn't put it on.  I made that choice knowing what could happen.  Like I said I'm not saying the laws are fair or not, I'm just stating they are there to follow and those who don't follow them know what can happen and take that risk.
You seem to be explaining to me what a "law" is. I already understand this.

QuoteI'm curious, you say $5-25 for the first offense.  What happens after that?
The fine doubles a couple of times and then pegs out at $100. In general though there is a lot of weed around here, but legal or not most people only smoke it indoors so there isn't much in the way of tickets being issued. Now that Michigan has legalized medicinal marijuana I don't expect the law will be getting any harder about this...which brings me to my point. Once a huge portion of the public is ignoring any given law the government eventually has to make a decision as to whether not its worth devoting assloads of time and money to prosecuting it. They work for us, you see, which is a point you obedient types seem to forget.

The public at large no longer buys into the myth that weed is a gateway drug, that causes people to kill, etc. Its all bullshit. Unlike coke, booze, speed, or just about anything else pot just grows in the dirt. No processing is needed. God himself put it there. Its virtually impossible to overdose on, and not only does it have fewer negative health side effects than legal drugs like alcohol and cigarettes, but its usually a lot safer than all those fucking prescription drugs they are constantly trying to sell us on TV. Every day people are going to jail for pot, being branded as felons for life, losing student loan eligibility, etc for something that only a small portion of America actually believes is morally wrong (ie: the pro life yet pro nuke crowd, mostly). Because of this, the tide will turn.

Since 40,000 people die every year from car accidents, which is 40,000 more than pot has ever killed, don't expect to overturn any seat belt laws. You should be wearing your seat belt, not because its the law, but because its fucking stupid to not wear it.

Laws are, in theory, meant to be derivative of morality, not origin of it.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:01 PMSince 40,000 people die every year from car accidents, which is 40,000 more than pot has ever killed, don't expect to overturn any seat belt laws. You should be wearing your seat belt, not because its the law, but because its fucking stupid to not wear it.

Laws are, in theory, meant to be derivative of morality, not origin of it.
Dont forget though, some of the car accidents, were caused by people high as balls, driving around smashing into shit.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guestDont forget though, some of the car accidents, were caused by people high as balls, driving around smashing into shit.
At 4mph? No one's going to get hurt.

Apologies to Bill Hicks for that joke.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: RoyI drove to work today with no seatbelt on knowing if I got caught I would face a ticket or injury/death but I didn't put it on.
My car won't even let me do that.  It beeps and beeps and beeps until the seatbelt is plugged in.  It's damn loud, too.  I think all new cars are like this.  It really pisses me off.

nectarsis

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:01 PMThe public at large no longer buys into the myth that weed is a gateway drug, that causes people to kill, etc. Its all bullshit. Unlike coke, booze, speed, or just about anything else pot just grows in the dirt. No processing is needed. God himself put it there. Its virtually impossible to overdose on, and not only does it have fewer negative health side effects than legal drugs like alcohol and cigarettes, but its usually a lot safer than all those fucking prescription drugs they are constantly trying to sell us on TV. Every day people are going to jail for pot, being branded as felons for life, losing student loan eligibility, etc for something that only a small portion of America actually believes is morally wrong (ie: the pro life yet pro nuke crowd, mostly). Because of this, the tide will turn.
Man that same old tired "it's all natural"  "it just grows in the dirt".  While many people do grow their own, a shitton of it is hardly "all natural".
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NecroPhile

Quote from: nectarsis on 04/22/2010, 02:53 PMMan that same old tired "it's all natural"  "it just grows in the dirt".  While many people do grow their own, a shitton of it is hardly "all natural".
Agreed.  If you're smoking ditch weed, you're doing it wrong.  :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/22/2010, 02:43 PM
Quote from: RoyI drove to work today with no seatbelt on knowing if I got caught I would face a ticket or injury/death but I didn't put it on.
My car won't even let me do that.  It beeps and beeps and beeps until the seatbelt is plugged in.  It's damn loud, too.  I think all new cars are like this.  It really pisses me off.
my old one did that but i never noticed.

It couldnt compete with speed metal on full blast.

RoyVegas

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:01 PMThey work for us, you see, which is a point you obedient types seem to forget.
I know that fact quite clearly, which is why I vote out the people I don't agree with...   I'm not sure where you get this "obediant" shit from.  I'm far from obediant.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/22/2010, 02:01 PMYou should be wearing your seat belt, not because its the law, but because its fucking stupid to not wear it.
You should stop smoking weed, not because its the law, but becasue its fucking stupid to smoke it.  Plays both was dude.