OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

teh "from Movies/Animes stolen Videogame Backgrounds" - Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 08/10/2010, 12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

As a starter, the well known Last Resort (SNK).:)

Beginning 1st Lvl:
1041029-lr1.jpg

Stolen from Akira:
3-1.jpg

The crater (@ 1st Lvl Boss)
Last Resort2.gif

Stolen from Akira:
akira.png

:edit: corrected

Mirror Thread:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Here is an other one from Daimakaimura (Ghouls 'n' Ghosts):

The background at the 4th Boss:
IMG IMG

Is stolen (taken) from Nausicaä (風の谷のナウシカ):
IMG

As well the Boss itself is obviously inspired from the Ohmus (オーム):
IMG
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Saibot

Totally unrelated...but the theme music from Darius Burst sounds like a remix of the theme from the movie Braveheart. I swear...

Darius Burst
Braveheart

Joe Redifer

Tats, I'm surprised you didn't post Thunder Blade vs Blue Thunder!

thundernewc.webp

Tatsujin

Yeah, I wanted do that later, when I'm out of fuel  :P

But thanx anyway for posting it :)

And now, please some of yours  :wink:

Ceti Alpha

haha. Nice tats! Very interesting. Whoever made Last Resort was definitely a fan of Akira.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

TR0N

Blade Runner
BladeRunnerScene.jpg
Snatcher
snatcher-pce1.png
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

Yeah Blade Runner <> Snatcher is obvious. It is so to say the unofficial video game of it :lol:

iheartsydmead.jpg
snatcher_021.jpg

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Tatsujin

And back again on Last Resort (altough no BG but an enemy).

The first mech enemy in Lvl 1..
lastresort1.png

..is stolen from Gundam (MSM-03C Hygog):
lastresort2.webp

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 08/11/2010, 02:15 AMTotally unrelated...but the theme music from Darius Burst sounds like a remix of the theme from the movie Braveheart. I swear...

Darius Burst
Braveheart
I missed this. Very cool. Very, very close to Braveheart.
IMG

Tatsujin

Here's a new discovery while watching silent running the other day :)

The spacey green houses in Silent Running..
IMG

..were recycled in Super Aleste.
IMG

and one from our dear forum member ccovell, posted on assembler a while ago:

Quote from: ccovell on 08/11/2010, 01:00 AMI always figured they were ripping off Roger Dean's art. Many artists were "inspired" by Roger Dean.
Here's Cyber Lip:
IMG IMG

And some album covers by Dean:
IMG
IMG

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Tatsujin

rag-time4

Tatsujin

tell me about. may be i can find em :)

i usually use yuotube grabs for the pictures, if i cant find some real ones on the net.

_Paul

Obvious Ohmu is Obvious in Formation Armed-F

/armedfohmu.jpg

Tatsujin

nice one :)

here two new entries :)

Title screen from the PCE shooter Hani in the Sky:
IMG

A fame art print from M.C. Escher called another world:
IMG

Title screen in the Japanese home computer versions of Might and Magic:
IMG

Art by the late Frank Frazetta:
IMG

TR0N

Red Sonja versus Alisia Dragoon US Cover art
Red_sonja_film_poster.jpg Alisia_Dragoon_PAL.jpg

IMG

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

SignOfZeta

IMG

Ninja Spirit

Ninja Spirit

Full Metal Jacket/NAM-1975
IMG

The Goonies II box art/ "Jewel of the Nile" theatrical poster
IMG

Contra Spirits (Contra III-JP)/Raw Deal
IMG

The sprite on the title screen of "The Kung Fu/China Warrior"/ Game of Death
IMG

Dark Adventure/Devil World Japanese flyer / Return of the Jedi
IMG

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

TheClash603

Some of these are great, like "Dark Adventure/Devil World Japanese flyer / Return of the Jedi."

Some of them are ridiculous stretches.  Fun thread nonetheless!

Tatsujin

Very nice stuff up there, but please don't start to hijack this thread with cover comparisons, we had that already few times.
In this thread the game pendant must be at least a pixled version of the original e.g. a back grounds, a title screens etc. everything is ok.

Za Kung-Fu and NAM are supercool ;)

THX :)

TR0N

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/04/2011, 05:33 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 10/04/2011, 01:16 AMRed Sonja

U.S Cover art for Alisia Dragoon
I don't get it.
I just compare that,since i hear it all the time the character for alisa on the u.s cover art kind of looks like red sonja.
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 10/04/2011, 06:35 PMThe sprite on the title screen of "The Kung Fu/China Warrior"/ Game of Death
To be completely fair... this particular kick is not uncommon in some forms of Chinese martial arts.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

Quote from: OldRover on 10/05/2011, 02:21 PM
Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 10/04/2011, 06:35 PMThe sprite on the title screen of "The Kung Fu/China Warrior"/ Game of Death
To be completely fair... this particular kick is not uncommon in some forms of Chinese martial arts.
To be completely fair as well... this particular kick got quite popular because of bruce lee used it a lot on screen.

And we all know who plays the main character in za kung fu/china warriors.

Tatsujin

sorry for the frowsy work, did it on my work :lol:

/brucevs.gif

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ccovell

Just discovered this one.  Not from a movie, but an instance where an Amiga game rips off a game console's art.  Quite common in the European PC world, too.  [-X

Fushigina Blobi- (A Boy and his Blob) GB, 1990
fushigi-na-blobby.webp
suruga-ya.jp/product/detail/265000190

and P.P. Hammer, Amiga, 1991
PPHammerFront.webp
exotica.org.uk/wiki/File:PPHammer.jpg

SignOfZeta

What the FUCK?

First, there is a game called "P.P. Hammer"? I thought this was a PP Hammer:

CircusClownToyHammer.jpg

Since it makes a "Pi!" noise when you hit something with it.

Secondly, those two images are extremely similar, but not actually identical in any way. Is it possible that they are two different drafts of the same concept and they just got sent to two different publishers by the same freelancer? While its better than %90 of all TG-16 cover art, its hardly anything worth "ripping off".
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/17/2011, 02:34 AMWhile its better than %90 of all TG-16 cover art, its hardly anything worth "ripping off".
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ccovell

I never said they were identical... but P.P. Hammer is clearly ripping off the art for Blobby.  Rip-offs usually take the same composition and linework, but add things like moustaches (Star Wars -> Chase H.Q.), sunglasses, and change the hairstyles of characters in the pic.

Some aspects of this pair of pics are in fact nearly identical: His hairstyle & yellow glow, the hat & shading on it, The blob's eyes, the angle of the dungeon wall, torch placement, backpack straps, jeans outline, and even the presence of 3 shaved (?) stripes in his hair.  Jaleco and Demonware did not hire the same artist; the latter copied art ideas from the former.  :-k

esteban

Quote from: ccovell on 12/17/2011, 09:27 AMJaleco and Demonware did not hire the same artist; the latter copied art ideas from the former.  :-k
Don't worry, Zeta dropped his DS in his Rice Crispies this morning and was cranky when he made that post :)

For the record, though, I love Rice Crispies.

Tatsujin

It's also obvious that the former artwork clearly came out of a japanese feather, while the latter one is kinda ugly western crap style.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: esteban on 12/17/2011, 09:38 AM
Quote from: ccovell on 12/17/2011, 09:27 AMJaleco and Demonware did not hire the same artist; the latter copied art ideas from the former.  :-k
Don't worry, Zeta dropped his DS in his Rice Crispies this morning and was cranky when he made that post :)

I don't see what's so cranky about my post. I'm just...baffled. Its not traced or actually copied, it (whichever one is the knock-off) is built up again from scratch. This would make sense of they were knocking off a Giger Alien or a Gundam or something, but is this dipshit with a jackhammer actually considered such a brilliant concept that its worth stealing? Both images are pretty C-.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/18/2011, 01:14 AM
Quote from: esteban on 12/17/2011, 09:38 AM

I don't see what's so cranky about my post. I'm just...baffled. Its not traced or actually copied, it (whichever one is the knock-off) is built up again from scratch. This would make sense of they were knocking off a Giger Alien or a Gundam or something, but is this dipshit with a jackhammer actually considered such a brilliant concept that its worth stealing? Both images are pretty C-.
I think it went down like this:

A Boy and His Blob (GB) --> "inspiration" --> P.P. Hammer

I don't think the similarities are merely coincidental.

ccovell

I think Zeta is questioning the quality of the original pic.  Which was never implied.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: ccovell on 12/18/2011, 03:23 AMI think Zeta is questioning the quality of the original pic.  Which was never implied.
I'm questioning the risk/reward ratio of steeling these lame-ass characters. Even a shitty drawing like those still takes hours to complete. Why not draw something about a million times cooler? Because...anyone could, honestly. Shmoo and a retard with a power tool. It was not some sort of magic archtype that made A Boy and His Blob so popular.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/18/2011, 04:35 AM
Quote from: ccovell on 12/18/2011, 03:23 AMI think Zeta is questioning the quality of the original pic.  Which was never implied.
I'm questioning the risk/reward ratio of steeling these lame-ass characters.
And yet, we have overwhelming evidence that folks do this (risk/reward):

(1) plagiarism is not simply the domain of lazy students, but even accomplished/professional artists/writers/poets (there is actually a lot of interesting academic work on this subject...digitizing texts has allowed researchers to identify "suspect" passages! It's crazy.)

(2) Professional "legit" websites scrape content from other sites.

(2.5) Electronic publications routinely use photos/illustrations without crediting original source or paying royalties. My friend is constantly requesting modest fees for the few places that actually want to use his photography.

(3) Homage vs. rip-off (it's a fine line, wouldn't you say? "Paying respect" vs. "Being too damn lazy")

(4) But wait! This was 1990-91: LIFE IN THE PRE-INTERNET WORLD:

P.P. Hammer artist, circa 1991: "What are the chances that anyone will ever identify my source material, a Japanese-only illustration for a Gameboy title?"

P.P. Hammer artist, moments later: "Even if the source material is identified, my paycheck will have been long-spent!  Plus, it's an homage, anyway."

I would suggest that the crucial observation is not:

"Plagiarizing is too risky, especially when minimal extra effort would result in an original work."

but rather:

"Desperation/laziness/ignorance/brazen disregard for content creators --> leads to plagiarization, even in a post-1991 digital world that allows for quicker identification of plagiarism."

Tatsujin

rag-time4

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/18/2011, 04:35 AM
I'm questioning the risk/reward ratio of steeling these lame-ass characters. Even a shitty drawing like those still takes hours to complete. Why not draw something about a million times cooler? Because...anyone could, honestly. Shmoo and a retard with a power tool. It was not some sort of magic archtype that made A Boy and His Blob so popular.
Zeta I think the points you bring up, ie that plagiarizing such a lame original is absurd, is what makes this a fun thread.

On the topic of plagiarism, I once came across a sports article written by Ron Tillery of the Memphis Commercial appeal circa 2006-2007 that contained segments lifted verbatim from an article written earlier in 2006 by Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle. No credit was given to Feigen.

The ironic thing was that Feigens original article began with an inaccuracy and was written as a biased hatchet job of a player that Feigen didnt like. So plagiarism certainly happens, even from flawed and bogus originals.

HercTNT

I think nausicaa has been ripped off in more than a few games. The first real boss you face in crystalis on the nes is a giant bug in a toxic jungle. Looks just like the ones from nausicaa.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: HercTNT on 12/18/2011, 11:19 PMI think nausicaa has been ripped off in more than a few games. The first real boss you face in crystalis on the nes is a giant bug in a toxic jungle. Looks just like the ones from nausicaa.
Yeah. I think Biohazard Battle wouldn't even exist if not for Nausicaa. Nausicaa was HUGELY popular in Japan in the 80s, topping the Animage character poll for something like 7 years.
IMG

Tatsujin

derboo from HCG101 took the idea one step further and summarized a whole bunch of examples :)

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

enjoy^^