The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheClash603

How is Shinobi?  Once that game is $15-20, it will be mine.

munchiaz

havent tried it yet, ill be sure to post my thoughts in the "what games are u playing thread" i watched and read a few reviews, and it seems like a good game if your in to classic action platformers. I actually saved like $20 on it. I purchased a ink cart for my printer that was on clearance for $5, but they person at walmart had to do a manual price change. When i took it home and noticed it was the wrong ink cart, i took it back, and the refunded me the actual price which was like $25

PunkCryborg

bartre

a few pickups/gifts from over the holiday season: /100_0621.jpg

chany60126

Nice score on that Metal Slug 4, Ope!

TheClash603

Quote from: elabit on 12/31/2011, 09:25 PM/img0023800x533.jpg
This game looked cool to me, because visually there isn't anything else like it on the Vectrex.  However, I could never gauge if it looked fun to play based on youtube videos...  Now that you have it, what do you think?

SuperDeadite

I quite like it Clash.  The game is basically an obstacle course.  Meaning do the right thing at the right time, or you are dead.  If you like stuff like Splatterhouse, you'll probably like it.   The best part of the game is atmosphere, it's amazingly well done, the boss fights are all unique and very satisfying to fight against.  It's also nice having a Vectrex game that actually has real levels and a true end.  Most just loop forever like the old arcade days...
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 01/01/2012, 04:26 AMI quite like it Clash.  The game is basically an obstacle course.  Meaning do the right thing at the right time, or you are dead.  If you like stuff like Splatterhouse, you'll probably like it.   The best part of the game is atmosphere, it's amazingly well done, the boss fights are all unique and very satisfying to fight against.  It's also nice having a Vectrex game that actually has real levels and a true end.  Most just loop forever like the old arcade days...
I never knew about this game (and I thought I had a basic working knowledge of the Vectrex and its library)!

A new game to read about :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

That's because it fairly is a "new" vectrex game :)

Sure you knew that already.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Sleepy Gnome

this is deffo my favourate thread to be in on this forum. i love seeing all the rare, bizzare and wonderful things that people find!

I havent posted for a while so thought I'd post a few things that have found their way into my home over the past couple of months or so...

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

Still havent tried the CDi yet.

I am liking my new arcade sticks for ps1. have also got just about every variation of Street Fighter, who wants to be a millionare, the weakest link, bishi bashi special to play on that. its great for when people come over. Mrs Gnome likes a good old go on my arcade stick, she does!!!

Oh and did you notice the capcom legends playstation disk aswell? that allows me to play Super Ghouls and Ghosts as well. its so damn hard. has anyone ever managed to beat it?

can anyone else reccomend any good two player ps1 games i could buy for this? i don't want to end up inundated with loads of games for it but just own a choice few that are a good laugth with a glass of wine in the evening...

thanks for reviewing may post

ja bless.

thesteve

your GBA is looking a bit blurry......lol

Mathius

I wonder why that Super Famiclone has the Indiana Pacers logo on it. :-k

thesteve

roflmao

Quote from: Sleepy Gnome on 01/01/2012, 05:31 PMcan anyone else reccomend any good two player ps1 games i could buy for this? i don't want to end up inundated with loads of games for it but just own a choice few that are a good laugth with a glass of wine in the evening...
I think there were a few different versions of Worms released for the PS1.  It's a great multiplayer game.  I've got Worms Armageddon for the PS1 and my wife and I used to play it all the time back in the day. 

The Gran Turismo games are 2 player, if you like racing games. 

And The Raiden Project is a 2 player shmup.

While not technically a 2 player game, I often  start up Parappa the Rapper when friends/family come over for gaming and we pass the controller around.

I don't have a very large library of PS1 games anymore, but those are ones I kept and would recommend.

SuperDeadite

Good 4 player ps1 games:  Crash Team Racing, Quake II
Good 2 player ps1 games:  Trap Gunner, Gunbare Game Tengoku 2, Jet Moto 2, Vigilante 8, Twisted Metal 2

chany60126

Micro Maniacs is a very fun game if you like Micro Machines type games. You control guys on foot as they race through some pretty imaginative levels with neat powerups. Great multiplayer fun. Up to eight people can play. This is my favorite level :)

Samurai Ghost

Bust a Move 4/Puzzle Bobble 4 is a great two player puzzle game for PS1.
Played many many hours of Twisted Metal 2 with my roommate in college.
Not many 2D fighters better than Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Anyway, here are some games that arrived while I was gone snowboarding for the past few days.

/moregames.jpg

I know you guys know this but... SPRIGGAN... IS..... AWESOME. Seriously, what an amazing game. Love MUSHA Aleste for the Megadrive but damn!!

Jigoku Meguri is almost a perfect platformer for me. My favorite Japanese ghost/hell theme, beautiful, colorful graphics, great soundtrack, one-hit kills but no cheap deaths, oh yes! Will probably get a complete version at some point but I don't see this game that often...

bartre

nice pickups! those are pretty much the only US released genesis games i still want, can't think of any others that i don't already have.
how are hani in the sky and final zone 2, btw?

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: bartre on 01/02/2012, 04:06 AMnice pickups! those are pretty much the only US released genesis games i still want, can't think of any others that i don't already have.
how are hani in the sky and final zone 2, btw?
Yeah, I'm getting pretty close to having all of the Megadrive/Genesis games I want. I'm sure I'll keep collecting them though! Might be worth getting Bare Knuckle 3 as well as Streets of Rage 3 as they really changed/censored a lot for the US release.

And actually that's Hani on the Road! I have Hani in the Sky as well, and although I haven't spent a lot of time with it, it struck me as a quirky but pretty dull shooter. But Hani on the Road is great! I've never played a game like it, it's got great parallax stages each with unique gameplay elements, pretty good music, and cute graphics. It's pretty challenging though, but just enough to make you want to keep going to see the rest of the levels. It and Final Zone II just came in the mail today so I haven't had a chance to open up FZII and play it yet (it's still new/sealed). Love FZ Axis for the Megadrive which is why I got it, although I realize they are completely different games. Do you have Final Zone for the Genesis? It's one of my favorite games on the system.

bartre

oh, didn't know there were two games, so i just read hani and assumed.
hmm, looks interesting though i'll have to try it out soon.
let me know how final zone is though, last alert and bloody wolf are a couple of my fave games on the system

esteban

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/02/2012, 04:32 AM...Love FZ Axis for the Megadrive which is why I got it, although I realize they are completely different games. Do you have Final Zone for the Genesis? It's one of my favorite games on the system.
They are such different games, and FZII for our beloved PCE is totally lame IMO. Music is great, the story/cinemas are actually decent (for me, anyway), but the game itself is so uninspired, generic, with poor controls, boring stage design, etc. etc.

Had they nailed the controls (responsive, easy-to-control characters), this game would be kinda fun to play.

I like the different attributes given to the selectable characters (distinct, well-designed weapon systems? maybe not, but there is a nice variety, and it had potential...).

Had they made an effort to ENCOURAGE US to play each level with different characters, to experiment with different strategies (which requires the stages and enemy A.I. to be designed to give certain advantages/disadvantages to the different selectable characters...speed, weapon range, weapon strength, etc.)...then we would have a better game. Create stages that provide MANY OPPORTUNITIES to utilize the different attributes of different characters! If I want to do this, the weapon systems/stage design might be halfway-compelling.

FZII is unrefined like... Ikari Warriors/Commando. I can forgive Ikari Warriors/Commando given the time of their release. But think about how much better Gunsmoke plays. Gunsmoke is a refined Commando.

Well, in the PCE world, Red Alert/Last Alert is the *slightly* more refined version of Final Zone II. Red Alert is far from perfect, but FZII can't even match Red Alert when it comes to controls/fluidity of gameplay/etc.

I don't mind that FZII throws a totally generic/boring vertical shooter stage at us (I can live with that!).

I'll stop now. I should have posted this in a different thread.

Wait, I forgot to mention: I consider FZII to be a must-have purchase for all Turbo fans. Why? Music alone :) And I don't think it is spectacular music, necessarily, but I like it. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BenG76

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/02/2012, 03:47 AMBust a Move 4/Puzzle Bobble 4 is a great two player puzzle game for PS1.
Played many many hours of Twisted Metal 2 with my roommate in college.
Not many 2D fighters better than Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Anyway, here are some games that arrived while I was gone snowboarding for the past few days.

/moregames.jpg

I know you guys know this but... SPRIGGAN... IS..... AWESOME. Seriously, what an amazing game. Love MUSHA Aleste for the Megadrive but damn!!

Jigoku Meguri is almost a perfect platformer for me. My favorite Japanese ghost/hell theme, beautiful, colorful graphics, great soundtrack, one-hit kills but no cheap deaths, oh yes! Will probably get a complete version at some point but I don't see this game that often...
Darn cool bunch of pickups there. Several of those are on my want list.

Mathius

Bonze Adventure! Great little underrated platformer. :)

munchiaz

some goodwill finds. The FF is in perfect shape, and still holds its save data. The AV switcher works great. It's funny because i just bought one from walmart online and have to wait for it to ship, Im gunna return that one. Saved almost $20

IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 01/02/2012, 03:47 AM/moregames.jpg
Nice pickup there's how much did the splatterhouse 2 cost you ? I can't even figure out why splatterhouse 2,cost so much these days i don't remember it being rare.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NecroPhile

Found some goodies in the mail on Saturday: L-Dis, Populous - The Promised Lands, Super Darius, and Urusei Yatsura - Stay With You (Lummy!).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bernie

Congrats!   L-Dis is an awesome little CD game, I love it.  Populous The Promised Lands looks promising...but I cannot figure it out.  Super Darius whips my ass, but I still enjoy it!

geise

Aero Fighters 2 and Metal Slug 1 for Neo Geo MVS!

Opethian

new years hauly! awesome L-dis!
IMG

SuperDeadite

BOW YOUR HEADS!

IMG

And a few more games:

IMG

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SuperDeadite

blueraven

Got a secondhand iPhone 4 unlocked and ready to go. :)

My old 3G was pretty much le dead.

Opethian

flying shark! love the music how are the arranged tunes? or are they orginal only?
IMG

Mathius

Latest hauly including Secret Santa

/105_0460.jpg

munchiaz

^nice. dragon egg looks pretty cool. so jelly of the terranigma repo cart.

bartre

it's a sweet game, though i gotta say, i prefer soul blazer out of the "trilogy"

chany60126

Nice Jag, Matt! Don't believe the haters, there are some really cool games for the system. :)

Mathius

Quote from: munchiaz on 01/04/2012, 09:49 PM^nice. dragon egg looks pretty cool. so jelly of the terranigma repo cart.
Courtesy of Bartre. :)

Quote from: bartre on 01/04/2012, 11:10 PMit's a sweet game, though i gotta say, i prefer soul blazer out of the "trilogy"
I am not sure which one I like better. ...I enjoy them all but Illusion of Gaia has the nostalgia factor with me.

Quote from: chany60126 on 01/04/2012, 11:15 PMNice Jag, Matt! Don't believe the haters, there are some really cool games for the system. :)
I had one bitd but stupidly sold it. Mine here came in a nice almost minty box. Now I just need games. Raiden, Tempest, and Wolfenstein are tops on my list.

Samurai Ghost

SuperDeadite Granada is such an awesome game! One of my favorites for the Megadrive, and it has one of the best soundtracks ever. A totally awesome game!!

Joe Redifer

Get some games and an s-video cable and I may need to borrow that from you, Matty-poo.

chany60126

Quote from: Mathius on 01/04/2012, 11:25 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 01/04/2012, 09:49 PM^nice. dragon egg looks pretty cool. so jelly of the terranigma repo cart.

Quote from: bartre on 01/04/2012, 11:10 PMit's a sweet game, though i gotta say, i prefer soul blazer out of the "trilogy"
I am not sure which one I like better. ...I enjoy them all but Illusion of Gaia has the nostalgia factor with me.

Quote from: chany60126 on 01/04/2012, 11:15 PMNice Jag, Matt! Don't believe the haters, there are some really cool games for the system. :)
I had one bitd but stupidly sold it. Mine here came in a nice almost minty box. Now I just need games. Raiden, Tempest, and Wolfenstein are tops on my list.
Yeah, those are definitely must own games. I also think Super Burnout, Alien Vs Predator, Power Drift Rally, Defender 2000 and Protector SE are games worth checking out too.

Joe Red is right, I recommend upgrading to at least a composite cable switch for the system. There is a big difference in video quality when comparing it to the RF switch.

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/05/2012, 01:22 AMGet some games and an s-video cable and I may need to borrow that from you, Matty-poo.
Fear not, joe-joe and Chany, as I have a custom S-Video cable hooked up to it right now. :wink: I also bought a sealed copy of Iron Soldier off eBay yesterday. Let me know when/if you need it.

Anyone who has any Jag games please respond to my thread. PLEASE! CYBERMORPH IS RUINING EVERYTHING!

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10788.0

Opethian

heh wasnt there a guy selling a loose Raiden around here?
IMG

Tatsujin

TheClash603

Quote from: chany60126 on 01/05/2012, 01:29 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 01/04/2012, 11:25 PM

Yeah, those are definitely must own games. I also think Super Burnout, Alien Vs Predator, Power Drift Rally, Defender 2000 and Protector SE are games worth checking out too.

Joe Red is right, I recommend upgrading to at least a composite cable switch for the system. There is a big difference in video quality when comparing it to the RF switch.
For some reason, Flip Out is my favorite Jaguar game.  Unique twist on puzzle games and kinda funny.

Opethian

hell naw I never sell dem Raidens!
IMG

Mathius

I made an offer to a guy on Digital Press for some boxed Jag games. He doesn't have Raiden sadly. What he does have though is Flashback (Yes!), Tempest, and Alien vs. Predator. :D

bartre

there was a jag version of flashback?
that might be the final push i needed to snap one up.
i think it'll have to wait though, maybe i'll snag one at MGC.

Mathius

Quote from: bartre on 01/05/2012, 11:59 AMthere was a jag version of flashback?
that might be the final push i needed to snap one up.
i think it'll have to wait though, maybe i'll snag one at MGC.
Yes there is! Some say it is the definitive version. And seeing as I am the worlds biggest Flashback fan (proven!) it is an easy win!