Turbo Grafx Collecting

Started by Keith Courage, 01/08/2013, 03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Courage

I was wondering..... Are most people in here out to own a copy of Every U.S. released Turbo Grafx game or do most of you just buy the good games that you enjoy and forget or sell off the lousy ones?

pc_kwajalein

I'm the latter. I've tried to compile complete libraries in the past, but I never made even made it to 10% of any list. I have a very impressive Bonk/Zonk collection that spans across many consoles and a couple handhelds, but my interest fizzled about 5 games shy of completion, plus I'm thinking about selling it off.

But now I just accquire games that I enjoy, or game series that I like. It's easier for me.
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

soop

Quote from: pc_kwajalein on 01/08/2013, 06:09 AMI'm the latter. I've tried to compile complete libraries in the past, but I never made even made it to 10% of any list. I have a very impressive Bonk/Zonk collection that spans across many consoles and a couple handhelds, but my interest fizzled about 5 games shy of completion, plus I'm thinking about selling it off.

But now I just accquire games that I enjoy, or game series that I like. It's easier for me. 
Yeah, I'm a little confused about the whole thing.  Basically, I know what games I want - what's "next on my list" so to speak, but some time ago, when I'd bought all the first choice of (reasonably priced) games, people pointed out a load of other great games I wasn't necessarilly aware of.

Then, there are games which are quirky and weird.  Some, like Be Ball are great, some like Kickball are less to my taste.

And after THAT, you've got the cheapo games that don't look like much but are pretty darn fun, like Motoroader.

I think the plan is to pick and choose the games as and when they appear, snapping up bargains.  Then when I get to the point where all I have left to get are Mahjong games and Darius Alpha, it would be stupid not to complete :)
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/08/2013, 03:20 AMI was wondering..... Are most people in here out to own a copy of Every U.S. released Turbo Grafx game or do most of you just buy the good games that you enjoy and forget or sell off the lousy ones?
You know, probably the most US titles I owned at one time was around 60'ish titles. This was back when I was a teen, and I believe I did have a few hu-card titles that I honestly could care less about, but at that point I was getting my hands on anything Turbo related and checking them off a released game list. Tv Sports Basketball, Turrican, Talespin, and a couple others. I'm not like that now. I don't have any aspirations to get a complete set of anything anymore on any console. Doing that just opens up your library to games you will obviously have no intention of playing, regardless of them being good or bad, and in other cases, you end up with some obviously really bad titles that get shuffled to the back due to a mix of lack of play and obvious scorn.

Obfuscate

I only collect the games with sentimental value from my childhood and as many shooters (TG-16 and PCE) as I can.

fsa

For me I am caught in between as I know there are game I will never be able to afford so I just try to get hold of anything Turbo related that I don't currently have (thankfully i got some of the good Hu cards way back in the 90's). I am into "SHMUP" and I try to find any or every one I can for any system. My 2 cents.
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

turboswimbz

I love collecting anything turbo, and thinking about the history of the items - I pretty much play even the bad games every now and then.  At this point though I'm just collecting, while a whole set would be cool, it's not the main focus, or a make it or break it thing for me, playing them all is. (this is why I'm sure at some point I'll emulate or maybe go with an everdrive)  Maybe one day that will change, but for now, my goal is to get and play a many of the US titles as possible as see where the ride take me.  On the PCE side I just look for the games I want to play, and if i get one not to my liking I sell it or trade it. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

BigusSchmuck

I'm interested in games that I liked playing back in the day or never got the chance to play. I really see no point in getting a complete collection as I know all it will do is collect dust and never get played.

Tatsujin

since few years, due to the lack of play-time, I'm more of a collector.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

jlued686

See my signature! ;)

I know I'll never get the complete collection, though. I'm not selling one of my kids' kidneys in order to buy Magical Chase.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/08/2013, 03:20 AMI was wondering..... Are most people in here out to own a copy of Every U.S. released Turbo Grafx game or do most of you just buy the good games that you enjoy and forget or sell off the lousy ones?
At first I was out to own a copy of every U.S. release, but I imposed a $20 limit on myself for each game.  This kept me from losing my head.  As the amount of games I owned grew I strayed from that limit (for hard to find titles), but all and all I maintained my composer.  There were a few months where I would get home from work and there was something in my mailbox every night.

Nowadays (over a year later), I've mellowed out.  I'm still trying to complete a U.S. collection, but "trying" is almost too strong a word.  If I happen across a great price on a hu card or CD-ROM or SCD I'll toss some $$$ at it, but I'm not "on the hunt" like I was before.

I'm mainly playing my NES right now and I bought a SNES off BlueBMW that I'm sure will see some instant action once it arrives.  I'm still casually looking for a PC-FX too.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

roflmao

I've never intended on trying to achieve a complete collection for any console.  Having said that, I have picked up a number of games for the TG16/PCE that were not initially on my "must have" list because I've read about them here and found them on the cheap (most recently, Volfied and Hatris, both of which I'm really digging).  So my library is much larger than I had ever anticipated, and if I never pick up another game for the system, I'll have enough to keep me happy forever.  But that doesn't stop me from looking out for the occasional deal I can't pass up. :)

For all my other 8 and 16-bit consoles, I only have a dozen or two games; just the ones I've held onto since bitd or have been looking for.  Those systems don't get as much play anyway. ;)

NecroPhile

I'd like to one day have a complete TG-16 collection, though it'll likely never happen and I don't obsess about it; I'll just keep snagging missing Turbobs when they pop up (and any PCE titles that tickle my fancy), and if it happens it happens.  And I'm okay keeping the few real stinkers that'll get little to no play time, as they aren't worth much of anything and take up little room. 
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 01/08/2013, 11:56 AMI'd like to one day have a complete TG-16 collection, though it'll likely never happen and I don't obsess about it; I'll just keep snagging missing Turbobs when they pop up (and any PCE titles that tickle my fancy), and if it happens it happens.  And I'm okay keeping the few real stinkers that'll get little to no play time, as they aren't worth much of anything and take up little room. 
Yeah, the stinkers tend to stay in their cases, but it's not like I'll get anything for them if I sell them.  So I just enjoy looking at the game case.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

CGQuarterly

I basically buy games with no overall goal in mind.  For other systems, I'll get rid of games that I buy and end up not liking, but for the turbo, I hang on to them.

Chris

DragonmasterDan

I am two games short of a complete set (I don't count Kiosk Discs, or the girlie gallery discs as games). So I do collect, however I also play my games. Admittedly some more than others. Even the terrible games like Tailspin, Darkwing Duck, Impossamole, Night Creatures and Falcon have been played. Sometimes I even intentionally bust out bad games when friends come by to have them torture through it. So yeah, I definitely collect but I also play.
--DragonmasterDan

PunkCryborg

i buy what i want to play. i prefer pce unless the moonspeak hinders me so ill buy the turbob version in that situation if its available at a good price.

csgx1

I only buy/collect games that I have an interest in playing.  If I had a full set, there would be a lot of titles that I would never play. 

I guess full sets are cool to look at and to brag about but I feel it's money and space wasted when games just sit on shelves not being played/enjoyed. 

CPTRAVE

:-k thining about it, it seems that I play my games that I buy. and I love seeing my library grow. So I am into both right now collecting and gaming.

ElSeven

I've been steadily purchasing more and more pce/turbo games over the past... 15 years or so, but there have been huge gaps of time that I completely ignored my collection while I was busy with other systems (saturn, sfc,  dreamcast, famicom, etc).  I recently decided to go for a complete US Turbo collection, but I sadly feel that I'm priced out of owning everything.  I have no desire to pay over $150 for any one game.   I'll probably end up at 97% of the library and just make fancy cd-rs for the remaining 5 expensive games and use an everdrive for magical chase.  I had a complete magical chase at one point (in my collection for about 10 years), and sadly had to let it go due to unrelated financial strain  :cry: :cry: :cry:

Since magical chase is only 4Mbit and the Arcade Card can load 16Mbit, has anyone tried to load a hacked rom off an ACD?  I remember a few years ago there was the Super Hucard project, but I don't recall if an ACD was ever attempted.  I'm sure this idea has already been tossed around a million times and is prob impossible...

nvm, just read about the 256KB Duo RAM.  that answer's that  ](*,)
currently playing:
PCE - Raiden
SNES - Chrono Trigger
DC - Fast Striker

PCE LP

syphic

I never intended to go for a full set just mainly pick up titles that i loved playing back in the day but when I found that lot of rare titles and knocked some of the biggies off in one shot i decided to try and go for a full set.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

psychobear

For me I started with the 10 games I had for 15 years. Never wanted a full set until a couple of years ago.

I figured that a full or a near TG-16 set was more realistic then any other set for another system. I also recently left a hobby that was just a money pit that in the end was not gonna be worth what time and money I put in it. So I sold it. I started to buy the titles I wanted to play long ago and I figured I should have a crack at it. I collect for NES and SNES but mostly the titles that I always wanted to play and the titles that bring back memories.

Some turbo games won't get played as much as other but every few weeks I slide one in (bad games need love to).

MrFlutterPie

I collect and I play, the two are completely intertwined for me :)

DrBread

I only buy the good games and watch gameplay to figure out the good ones that i would like.
I really like video games...

Sadler

Kind of off topic, but I'm not sure I understand the whole "I only buy good games" thing. With very few exceptions, the not great US releases are cheap. People practically (or literally) give away games like TV Sports and Power Golf all the time. You can still get Tailspin sealed for cheap (and I don't think that's a bad game). You can make the case that Magical Chase or Dynastic Hero aren't worth the price they go for and I totally see where you are coming from, but they really are good games. I can't think of many games that are considered shitty that go for that much. I guess Darkwing Duck isn't cheap, and I don't really enjoy World Sports Competition, but outside of that, what "bad" games cost more than $10 or $20? Most of them can be had for $5 loose, in many cases less complete.

soop

Yeah (and bear in mind I collect PCE here), there are a tonne of games that aren't widely regarded as "good", but in reality the PCE doesn't actually have many bad games.  In fact, one could argue that fact that it only has "games you don't like".

Stuff like Volfied, Be Ball, Puzznic, Marchen Maze, Gomola Speed don't often make it into people's top 10, but I can sit down for an hour easy and play them (apart from Gomola Speed which I don't own).

reno5

I would like to get the full US set but i'm not rushing it. If i see a game i'm missing at a great price i go for it.

I'm curently trying to play and finish more Turbo games. I'm an RPG fan so i'm curently playing Neutopia and Dragon Slayer.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: soop on 01/09/2013, 04:47 AMYeah (and bear in mind I collect PCE here), there are a tonne of games that aren't widely regarded as "good", but in reality the PCE doesn't actually have many bad games.  In fact, one could argue that fact that it only has "games you don't like".

Stuff like Volfied, Be Ball, Puzznic,.
I love Puzznic!  It was my very first PCE game :)  I agree though it will never be in my top 10 but I still play and enjoy it.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Sadler on 01/08/2013, 10:05 PMKind of off topic, but I'm not sure I understand the whole "I only buy good games" thing. With very few exceptions, the not great US releases are cheap. People practically (or literally) give away games like TV Sports and Power Golf all the time. You can still get Tailspin sealed for cheap (and I don't think that's a bad game). You can make the case that Magical Chase or Dynastic Hero aren't worth the price they go for and I totally see where you are coming from, but they really are good games. I can't think of many games that are considered shitty that go for that much. I guess Darkwing Duck isn't cheap, and I don't really enjoy World Sports Competition, but outside of that, what "bad" games cost more than $10 or $20? Most of them can be had for $5 loose, in many cases less complete.
For me, just because they are cheap does not mean they are worth getting. To me it's just tossing money away that could be better spent towards games I really do want to play. Id rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior. I may end up with 3 more games, but it is 3 I will never play, so why buy them? I don't buy games with a collectors mentality though. I just like buying stuff I know I will enjoy.

VestCunt

When I started, I only pursued games I wanted, but I also bought plus cheap unknowns when I stumbled upon them. There weren't a whole lot of online TG reviews in the Nineties/early 2000's and I've never been into emulation; how was I to know which games were bad? TG games don't take up much space and I saw no reason not to blow $10 on Shadow of the Beast or Tailspin. I'd spent so many years drooling over pictures in TTI mailing and EMG that I wasn't about to let some text-only Turbolist review dictate my purchases.

The thought of collecting didn't occur to me until I had ten years and 80+ games under my belt. Inflating prices and the fact that I already had most of the rarities motivated me to make a checklist. Other than Dynastic Hero, I only paid $100+ for two games (Bonk 3 hu cib, Bonk 3 scd) and $50+ for a few more (Cotton, BS, Godzilla, Terraforming).

I would not have collected with prices like they are now. In 2010, I decided MC was out of my range and threw in the towel. I'm happy with my 99% set and I still buy PCE games a couple times a year, but I couldn't care less about condition and I'm happy to grab loose discs and hucards when I have the chance.

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/09/2013, 10:36 AMId rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior. I may end up with 3 more games, but it is 3 I will never play, so why buy them?
For me, the "bad" games are part of why I like the system. Other than the occasional RPG, sim, or strategy game, video games don't hold my attention like they used to and I rarely play single-player action games for more than half an hour. Because of this, I have almost as much fun playing Darkwing Duck as I do SMB3. The only TG games I never touch are the two football games, the boxing/kickboxing titles, and Falcon.
Topic Adjourned.

Obfuscate

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/09/2013, 10:36 AMId rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior.
Problem with your logic here is World Class Baseball is fucking awesome. Me and my friends played the shit out of that one back in the day and I still go back and play through it probably once a year. TV Sports games and China Warrior can suck my balls though.

MrFlutterPie

China Warrior isn't that bad.  It's sort of like a timing game.  It reminds me of an early precursor to timing/rhythm games of today.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Obfuscate on 01/09/2013, 04:21 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/09/2013, 10:36 AMId rather take 40 bucks and buy something like Gradius II, then to buy TV Sports Basketball, World Class Baseball, and China Warrior.
Problem with your logic here is World Class Baseball is fucking awesome. Me and my friends played the shit out of that one back in the day and I still go back and play through it probably once a year. TV Sports games and China Warrior can suck my balls though.
I just never liked it and never will. To be honest though I am very picky about any sports title I will play. World Class Baseball is just not one of them.

SMF

I never set out to complete the entire set of U.S. games. By the time I was an adult I had roughly half the games. So if I seen a game I didn't have at a used game store cheap I would snatch it up. Now I look back at some games I picked up and I'm glad I did some of them are pretty badass.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

Obfuscate

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 01/09/2013, 06:01 PM
Quote from: Obfuscate on 01/09/2013, 04:21 PM
I just never liked it and never will. To be honest though I am very picky about any sports title I will play. World Class Baseball is just not one of them.
LOL, to each their own. I just don't think you can compare to the TV Sports games or China Warrior as those games are simply broken gameplay where WCB actually plays pretty smooth for an old Baseball game.

The Burnin8or

I'm content to pick up games I had when I was young as well as games I was interested but missed out on back then. Having a complete collection isn't anwhere in my plans, although would be cool.

DildoKKKobold

For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Nec.Game.head

I recently considered just going for it and dropping some serious cash if I had to in order to have a complete US HuCard collection .. But then I came to my senses and realized I really don't need every game especially since theirs a whole ton of the US HuCard games that pretty much blow and are not worth the trouble of obtaining especially for the bragging rights .. I'm just gonna keep it real and obtain only what I'm truly gonna play ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

mrhaboobi

i started about 8 years ago, so prices were better then and i used to buy large lots and sell/trade what i didnt need, i also got lucky buying sealed dynastic heros for $50 ( 2x) and the odd cheap super air zonk, and they because good trade material, i did always want a complete set, mainly due to growing up as a kid with a pc engine, well a friend who had one.. but i loved it more than him :).. I have just one hu card to buy ( sinistron ), and the odd manual and replacment box before i have a CIB collection, i was lucky enough to get Magical Chase ( us version ) from a Yahoo.jp auction for cheap ( well truth be told my GF at the time, now my wife, bought it for me as a bday present ) manual and box both came separately, manual via digitpress ( i paid $60 for that at the time which felt like such a rip but im glad i have it now ), box came via this forum as part of a trade with another collector..  Im also keen on any mags, promo items etc.. my two main collecting bugs are TG16 and Dragon Quest :)..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

rrob78

Im mostly consentrating on collecting the games I played when I was young, Keith Courage, Bonk's Adventure, which I have now, but also some of the good games that are within my budget. I doubt id be able to go for the entire library that was released in the US, it would be nice though.

soop

I've found at several points I've aquired "all the games I really want" only to discover there is yet more awesomeness.  I can't realistically see a point where I'll be "done".

SignOfZeta

I never "complete" any collection, but if I did it wouldn't be a video game collection. There are too many bad games out there. I'm not going to spend any money or devote any space to games that are shit. I have too may other hobbies, other passions. Rather than pay a grand for Magical Chase I'd be traveling someplace or buying car parts.

The systems with the best good/bad ratio are probably the Neo Geo and the Neo Geo Pocket, but even those systems have a dozen or so stinkers (Gowkaiser, pachislot shite).

If I were to "complete" a video game collection it would probably be NGP, Wonderswan, or Dreamcast. It certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is fucking horrific, and then there are those cheap-ass outer boxes, and the games that only have cheap-ass outer boxes and no case...its like collecting match books or pogs or something.

To anyone who "collects", that's fine, but make sure you are enjoying life to its fullest before you spend all your money on plastic crap you won't even play.
IMG

mrhaboobi

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/15/2013, 01:52 PMIf I were to "complete" a video game collection it would probably be NGP, Wonderswan, or Dreamcast.
I actually have a complete PAL Dreamcast collection :) very cool!! awesome shooters!..
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/15/2013, 01:52 PMIt certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is fucking horrific,
I don't understand this. I love the NEC box art, for the most part.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2013, 05:23 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/15/2013, 01:52 PMIt certainly wouldn't be NEC, and it sure as hell wouldn't be US NEC since the box art is fucking horrific,
just becuase some love it doesn't mean it still wasn't terrible. (and it was/is BAD)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

THERE WAS SO MUCH BAD ART back in the day. TG-16 is not the worst offender. At all. TRUTH.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2013, 05:23 PM
Some people like to have hairy women piss on their face. What's your point?

"Turbografx 16: Like a Hairy Woman Pissing on Your Face!"®

Several times here I've explained how I think there was basically no way the TG-16 could have been a hit in the US no matter how it was handled, but the incredibly bad box art sure didn't help.
IMG

soop

It was bad.  I hate bad box-art.  And I've made no bones about the fact that I think the TG-16 is an abomination compared to the PC Engine.

esteban

TOPIC: Cover Art.

STANCE: YOU GUYS ARE KRAZY.

THESIS: The worst offenders, for TG-16, are easily eclipsed by HORRENDOUS ART on other North American platforms that co-existed with our beloved TG-16: NES, SMS, GENESIS, etc.

EVIDENCE: Open your damn eyes (OYDE).

BONUS THESIS - JAPAN HAS CRAP: Don't act like Japan didn't have a significant amount of lame art as well. Thankfully, Japan's crap:quality ratio was (arguably) lower than North America. I'm not as familiar with European releases of console games to comment on that part of the world. ANIME = CRAP, you bastards. It might as well be Scrappy Doo and Barney Rubble and Astro and Josie on the covers of games. YOU THINK THAT JAPAN'S SCRAPPY DOO AND JAPAN'S WILMA RUBBLE ARE SUPERIOR? Ha! It is, in fact, nothing but common garbaggio (as Mussolini would say).

EVIDENCE: Open your damn mind (OYDM).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

roflmao