10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seieienbu

This thread took me 2 days to finish.  A damn good read though, thanks to everyone for putting so much effort into the screenshots.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Mathius

Quote from: seieienbu on 09/25/2012, 08:06 PMThis thread took me 2 days to finish.  A damn good read though, thanks to everyone for putting so much effort into the screenshots.
This is one of those threads one can read once a year like a good book.

...as for the above screenies-I can't decide which is actually better. I like the color in the PCE shots, but enjoy the detail in the MD's. Tie.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 09/25/2012, 08:06 PMThis thread took me 2 days to finish.  A damn good read though, thanks to everyone for putting so much effort into the screenshots.
2 days...TWO WEEKS :pcgs:

I have to go back and finish this up (so folks don't have to wade through hundreds of pages here):

Screenshot comparisons...

The problem is that I can't keep ALL THOSE (a few hundred now, it's be over a thousand) screenshots on one page. I'll have to split games up (by genre, I suppose).

:pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nando

Quote from: esteban on 09/26/2012, 06:03 PM

I have to go back and finish this up (so folks don't have to wade through hundreds of pages here):

The problem is that I can't keep ALL THOSE (a few hundred now, it's be over a thousand) screenshots on one page. I'll have to split games up (by genre, I suppose).

Damn, you are doing a great job with those. I hadn't checked it in awhile. Awesome job, thanks for doing that.

esteban

Quote from: Nando on 09/27/2012, 03:11 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/26/2012, 06:03 PM

Damn, you are doing a great job with those. I hadn't checked it in awhile. Awesome job, thanks for doing that.
MY SLOW ARSE IS too slow. But I'm chipping away at it :pcgs:

CrackTiger

People often bring up the PC Engine Arcade Card "Neo Geo ports", but no one ever mentions this one-

Quest of the Jongmaster
NEO GEOPC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Wow I haven't ever heard of this game. The PCE even beats out the Neo with its bright colorful graphics in places. To me it seems that the majority of these screens puts the PCE and Neo on equal ground visually.

Tatsujin

the PCE is def. closer to the NeoGeo than all the other 8/16bit console.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

shubibiman

I didn't it actually was a port from the Neogeo version. I always thought they were 2 different games. Thanks ;)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

CrackTiger

The PCE version actually seems to be expanded upon over the arcade version. I don't know if the Neo Geo CD version has as many modes, but if you choose RPG mode in the PCE version, you get to control your character and walk them around, but in the arcade you just watch the sprite go from point A to B. The cinematics may look bang on, but they're actually redone at a larger size (not just squished horizontally) and touched up as well as the arcade (perhaps better as it looks to have extra anti-aliasing). The first opponent's map sprite wasn't recolored on PCE because of color limitations, it was fixed to match the cinema art.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Heh, nice.  I didn't even know it was a port of a Neo game.  Too bad I don't know how to play mahjong.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2013, 11:29 PMPeople often bring up the PC Engine Arcade Card "Neo Geo ports", but no one ever mentions this one-

Quest of the Jongmaster
NEO GEOPC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
NICE!

Damn, I have so many half-finished things need to complete.

And now I have to add a mahjong section!

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons.htm

seieienbu

I think it's interesting that the border was removed.  That seems like an odd thing to remove...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Nando

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/04/2013, 11:11 AMI think it's interesting that the border was removed.  That seems like an odd thing to remove...
Could have been a development thing. Is it really needed for the game? no, scratch it and work on other parts that benefit the game. Or just plain laziness ;)

awack

Good comparison, they could have done a better job on the title screen for the pce port.

_Paul

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/04/2013, 11:11 AMI think it's interesting that the border was removed.  That seems like an odd thing to remove...
Probably because of the different resolution, so they could fit more of the actual image in.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 02/10/2013, 06:46 AM
Probably because of the different resolution, so they could fit more of the actual image in.
They actually redid the cinema shot graphics, which you can see are taller than the view area of the arcade. I think that they just wanted a less arcade feel as the PCE version is expanded to be more console like.

Ji-L87

Quote from: guest on 02/10/2013, 11:57 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/10/2013, 06:46 AM
They actually redid the cinema shot graphics, which you can see are taller than the view area of the arcade. I think that they just wanted a less arcade feel as the PCE version is expanded to be more console like.
They just look stretched to me :S
Still, aside from the cheap title screen, a very nice port from the looks of things.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Mathius

We have covered most games of interest in this thread. It could even be argued we went a little mad in places too! :)

Anyone have any ideas on what to compare next? Surely there is something we have missed.

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 04/19/2013, 10:51 PMWe have covered most games of interest in this thread. It could even be argued we went a little mad in places too! :)

Anyone have any ideas on what to compare next? Surely there is something we have missed.
Well, because I am Obsessive CompuServe, I wouldn't mind MORE screenshots from SAME games, but LATER stages!  Also, I loved when Arjak really matched up to get the EXACT same location in the two (three) ports he was comparing.

But, since you want a new game... has Populous been done? I can't honestly remember.

OH, WHY OH WHY CAN'T WE SEE A MARBLE MADNESS COMPARISION. Whatever happened to that alleged prototype?

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons.htm

_Paul

More PCE vs ARCADE shots. Also PCE vs AMIGA and MASTER SYSTEM & C64 & ZX SPECTRUM!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/21/2013, 03:27 PMMore PCE vs ARCADE shots. Also PCE vs AMIGA and MASTER SYSTEM & C64 & ZX SPECTRUM!
Yes! MOAR! :)

BigusSchmuck

How about comparing the Snes Wizardry games to the PCE ones? :P

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mathius on 04/21/2013, 09:09 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/21/2013, 03:27 PMMore PCE vs ARCADE shots. Also PCE vs AMIGA and MASTER SYSTEM & C64 & ZX SPECTRUM!
Yes! MOAR! :)
MUCH MUCH MOAR!!! :D
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

I don't think that P-47 was done yet. Arcade on top, PCE below:
https://catalog.pcengine-fx.com/#hu2550

P-47 The Freedom Fighter
PC Engine (1989)Arcade (1988)
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

It's hard finding undistorted matching screen shots of Cobra II, but here are a couple that indicate that the games are likely as close as they seem during separate playthroughs-

SEGA-CD <------------------------------------------->PCE
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

Mathius

Is the PCE being pushed so hard that it couldn't portray any stars in the background in the bottom right pic? Otherwise pretty close. :)

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2012, 08:52 PMMONSTER WORLD-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
Master System looks better.

Mathius

Did the Master System version have animated doorways? I can't remember.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/15/2013, 09:54 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/15/2012, 08:52 PMMONSTER WORLD-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
So in that case, the Master System looks also better than the arcade?

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/15/2013, 10:30 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/15/2013, 09:54 PM

PCE - SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
So in that case, the Master System looks also better than the arcade?
Based on memory I usually can't tell the arcade and PCE versions apart. People always say that R-Type on the PCE was the first great arcade-to-home conversion. I think Monster World might predate this. If that is the case then Monster World would be the first of the many.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 06/15/2013, 08:55 PMIs the PCE being pushed so hard that it couldn't portray any stars in the background in the bottom right pic? Otherwise pretty close. :)
Those were the closest screens I coukd match up. The arcade version actually has rain. There are extra scenes in the PCE version and two battleship fights. The other one might have been closer to the arcade. The PCE version is very solid, but a bunch of stuff was cut to keep the rom size low and it could have been programmed better to keep stuff like the big hilks intact.

Tatsujin

Yeah, f.e. no extra drop bomb explosion animation. no train boss in level 1 etc.

I still think it is a very close port, especially graphical wise. The parallax in lvl2 even looks better than the arcade.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mathius on 06/15/2013, 10:36 PMBased on memory I usually can't tell the arcade and PCE versions apart. People always say that R-Type on the PCE was the first great arcade-to-home conversion. I think Monster World might predate this. If that is the case then Monster World would be the first of the many.
That's about right. I very much love the SMS port too. very nice and as good as possible done on the SMS. especially with FM support :)

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/15/2013, 10:30 PMSo in that case, the Master System looks also better than the arcade?
Yep.

(sorry about editing your post, I accidentally pressed "Modify" instead of "quote" because I'm a dumbass).

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/16/2013, 12:44 AMYep.
well..uhm..okey :)

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/16/2013, 12:44 AM(sorry about editing your post, I accidentally pressed "Modify" instead of "quote" because I'm a dumbass).
NP  :wink:

CrackTiger

Air Zonk vs Zaku

PCE <------------------------------------------> LYNX

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

Here's some variety of Monsterland pics-

PCE <-------------------------------------------> SMS

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

Kick Boxing

AMIGA <------------------------------------------------------> PCE

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Ballistix

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Gunboat

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 06/15/2013, 10:59 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 06/15/2013, 08:55 PMIs the PCE being pushed so hard that it couldn't portray any stars in the background in the bottom right pic? Otherwise pretty close. :)
Those were the closest screens I coukd match up. The arcade version actually has rain. There are extra scenes in the PCE version and two battleship fights. The other one might have been closer to the arcade. The PCE version is very solid, but a bunch of stuff was cut to keep the rom size low and it could have been programmed better to keep stuff like the big hilks intact.
Ah that is rain! Forgive me. I haven't played the game yet.

esteban

CRACKTIGER: These comparisons are great!

Psycho Punch

Suddenly Gunboat doesn't look so bad.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

BLOOD GEAR VS CYBERNATOR

IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

BURAI

PCE ------------------------------------------------------------- MCD ------------------------------------SFC

IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG

HercTNT

Keep it coming, this is great stuff!

Joe Redifer

It's hard to say who wins on Burai, but it's easy to say who lost... the Super Famicom.

Tatsujin

CrackTiger

Fighting Street AKA Street Fighter I
ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

ARCADE resized to 256 pixels wide <--------------> PCE
IMG IMG

IMG

shubibiman

Once again, it seems that a capcom port is very close in some aspects form the original, as it has already been underlined with Forgotten Worlds some years ago.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Mathius

Oddly I think the type font in the PCE version more closely resembles the traditional arcade style than even the actual Street Fighter arcade!

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 06/22/2013, 04:04 PMOddly I think the type font in the PCE version more closely resembles the traditional arcade style than even the actual Street Fighter arcade!
Nice!  I never would have seen that.

Joe Redifer

That's interesting. But they should both be resized to 320 pixels wide as it looks squished compared to what people actually see on the TV. 256 is too narrow. The GIF you provided was really cool. You could probably do the same for the title and there would be very little difference. Talk about "nearly pixel perfect".

Joe Redifer

It is an original game. The Lynx game is a rip-off of Air Zonk that was released as homebrew only recently. Kind of like Mysterious Song in that you pay for it as a product, not just download it onto a flash cart.

(ok, after a few seconds I read the rest of your post.)

turbofan1

Strange someone would take and ripoff Air Zonk and release it for the atari lynk,but not the turbob.