10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 05/26/2013, 03:20 PMThat reminds me, couple months ago while taking a walk around town, found a CRT television on the sidewalk
IMG

The result....
My game setup 2.0
IMG
IMG
Nice man it has gotten to the point where crt are just given away !!
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mathius on 05/26/2013, 08:28 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/26/2013, 06:27 PMNo, you need to have a Genesis. And a Master System or at least a Power Base Converter. And a CD drive for that PCE.
Agreed on the PCE CD and Master System. My bads. To be honest, the Genesis just doesn't get much love from me anymore. Sure I can't go a year without playing Strider, SOR2, and a select few others. Maybe it's the video quality that does it. My Genesis is out getting an S-Video mod at this very moment. I am betting that will change my mind as my Master System has been FM and S-Vid modded. I have an entirely different view on the SMS since I had that done.

But as great as the SMS is having a Saturn with region switching is the premier Sega console to own. I have had more fun with the Saturn since I got back into gaming than any other system Sega has released. :)
He also needs a PS1. As much that thing get hatered, it has so many nice 2D stuff to offer as well.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/27/2013, 07:09 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/26/2013, 06:27 PMNo, you need to have a Genesis. And a Master System or at least a Power Base Converter. And a CD drive for that PCE.
Agreed on the PCE CD and Master System. My bads. To be honest, the Genesis just doesn't get much love from me anymore. Sure I can't go a year without playing Strider, SOR2, and a select few others. Maybe it's the video quality that does it. My Genesis is out getting an S-Video mod at this very moment. I am betting that will change my mind as my Master System has been FM and S-Vid modded. I have an entirely different view on the SMS since I had that done.

But as great as the SMS is having a Saturn with region switching is the premier Sega console to own. I have had more fun with the Saturn since I got back into gaming than any other system Sega has released. :)
He also needs a PS1. As much that thing get hatered, it has so many nice 2D stuff to offer as well.
*sigh* I guess.  :P

Ninja Spirit

I still have many other consoles (NES, Genesis/Sega CD, SMS, PS1, Nintendo DS and my PCE Duo-R with malfunctioning controller port), they're still down in Virginia. When I moved to New Jersey, I just took just that select few because I wasn't sure how much room my new place would have (they wouldn't have fit in my car anyway with all the other necessities)

jeffhlewis

Last haul before I check myself into rehab...taking a purchasing hiatus until VGS. It's getting ridiculous.

IMG

-Wonderboy in Monster Land: I bought this one just to get the manual, which is the FINAL piece of my complete NTSC Sega Master System collection. Woohoo! Also, it came with the official Sega tips hotline printout for the game; nice little piece of memorabilia.
-Segata Sanshirou Shinken Yuugi: Nice Saturn kusoge. The game honestly is shit but I throw my $$$ at anything with Segata Sanshiro on it
-Super Dodgeball Advance: Spiritual successor to the Kunio dodgeball games - complete in box
-The Super Spy: Probably my last AES purchase unless I win the lottery. It came factory-sealed, which I promptly took care of. Minty fresh!

Nando

Even with the Saturn?

Joe Redifer

The PS1 didn't get hated at all. It got loved and adored. It defeated the Saturn in every market. But I agree it is nice to have even though I only have 18 games for it right now.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/27/2013, 07:30 PMThe PS1 didn't get hated at all. It got loved and adored. It defeated the Saturn in every market. But I agree it is nice to have even though I only have 18 games for it right now.
Thats more then I have for the PS1. I think I have maybe 3 or so games for it.

wavering

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/27/2013, 07:30 PMThe PS1 didn't get hated at all. It got loved and adored. It defeated the Saturn in every market. But I agree it is nice to have even though I only have 18 games for it right now.
I loved the PS1.  I've been going back and playing a few old games on my PSP lately.  Suikoden, Symphony of the Night, Chrono Cross.  They worst thing about it is that polygons were all the rage and new technology and didn't hold up very well to the years.  Put in FF7 and you can count how many polygons make up Cloud.

bob

Tatsujin

Quote from: Nando on 05/27/2013, 04:00 PM

Even with the Saturn?
Oh yeah. PS1 has about equally exclusive 2D stuff to offer. And those who came out on both (mostly shoot'em ups) are a mixed bag. some of em are better on the PS1 some on SS. As a rule, ST-V stuff and beat 'em ups (those who take advantage of the 4MB ext. cartridge) that came out on both are better on the SS by a majority. But there's stuff like Donpachi, Dodonpachi, kaitei daisensou etc. which is again better on the PS1.

Also here some notable must haves exclusives shewties on PS1:

Gradius Gaiden 5/5
Harmful Park 5/5
Raiden DX 5/5
R-Types 5/5
Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 5/5
Zanac X Zanac 5/5

2.5D:
R-Type Delta 3/5
Einhander 3/5

Sure there are tons of other 2D games in the platformer, puzzle, party fun, guncon (light gun) etc. category.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SuperDeadite

donpachi is better on ps1.  but dodonpachi is a toss up.  ps1 has better looking explosions, but have to select your ship in the options menu, and both players have to be the same ship.   Saturn version in tate, has the proper ship selection screen and is far closer to the "arcade experience", just has some very grainy explosions.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Tatsujin

Yeah it was loved by the mass (its success speaks volumes), but always got hatered by the sega fanboys, anti-sony fraction etc.

I am no sony sympathizer, but as mentioned above, it got its fair share of excellent 2D games which makes it more than worth to collect for it.

hell, akumajou dracula x - gekka no yasokyoku (sotn) alone is worth having one. yeah that came out (quite later) on the SS as well, even with few extras thrown in, but the sloppy programing and downgraded grafx etc. making it quite a worse and not really fun to play port (at leastfor those who had experienced the real deal prior that).

Tatsujin

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/27/2013, 09:51 PMjust has some very grainy explosions.
yeah, and exactly that destroyed mostly everything in that port for me. Still don't know why they did it that way, since the SS can do much better than that.

PCEngineHell

bob

PCEngineHell

I watched it get played back in the day when I managed a game store. It looked pretty bad. Not anything I'd want. It was one of those games from Crystal Dynamics when they were on their decline.

MrFlutterPie

IMG

Anybody have any recommendations for old school Xbox 360 titles for me?  I just discovered there is some 2D shumps, fighters and arcade compilations that make me owning my Xbox 360 worthwhile.

bartre

there's a konami classics collection and a couple arcade compilations (XBLA) that are good, and Deathsmiles is another good shmup.
outside of that, 360 got the only US physical release of hokuto musou 2, which pissed me off, but it's a good game, i'm just mad that it's DLC only on PS3

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/27/2013, 09:57 PMhell, akumajou dracula x - gekka no yasokyoku (sotn) alone is worth having one. yeah that came out (quite later) on the SS as well, even with few extras thrown in, but the sloppy programing and downgraded grafx etc. making it quite a worse and not really fun to play port (at leastfor those who had experienced the real deal prior that).
Yep. I have both PS1 and SS versions and I'd rather play the PS1 version any day.

whisper2053

/imag0109vl.jpg

Arrived today and I have been rather enjoying it. Really different but cool art style too.
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

Bardoly

...And for my 1,000th post...

/img4919ts.jpg
Thanks to nectarsis

/img4935a.jpg
Some good reading material for my upcoming vacation.

And some PC Engine goodies!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: whisper2053 on 05/28/2013, 03:54 PM/imag0109vl.jpg
Version 1.5 of what? Or is whatever this is simply called "Version 1.5"? Looks kind of plain. I bet version 1.6 is better.

roflmao

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 05/28/2013, 12:03 PMAnybody have any recommendations for old school Xbox 360 titles for me?  I just discovered there is some 2D shumps, fighters and arcade compilations that make me owning my Xbox 360 worthwhile.
Deathsmiles!  Awesome 2D horizonal shmup and should be found dirt cheap (I think I paid $15 for my copy not too long ago, and it was a Limited Edition that came with an Xbox 360 faceplate and soundtrack).

Also Castlevania: SOTN is a download and if you don't have the Playstation version, that's definitely worth picking up.

Most of my arcade compilations are for the PS2 (I like that controller more for old school stuff) but if they released Capcom Classics Collection or Taito Legends 2 for the 360, they're both chock full of goodness. Lots of Obey relatives.

LameKat

IMG
Yard sale find, plays LDs, but just spits out CDs. Any thoughts?

BlueBMW

I'd clean the lens first.  LDs will usually read even when a lens is really dirty or out of adjustment but of course CDs wont.  There may also be a little black "bubble" near the laser lens.  Clean that also.  Its a tilt sensor.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

LameKat

What's the safest way to clean? Read many different opinions.

jeffhlewis

2nd to last batch from Japan:

IMG

All three are CIB - the box for Xevious is literally the size of the cartridge. Can't wait to give Crisis Force a run-through.

bob

Quote from: guest on 05/28/2013, 09:00 PM
Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 05/28/2013, 12:03 PMAnybody have any recommendations for old school Xbox 360 titles for me?  I just discovered there is some 2D shumps, fighters and arcade compilations that make me owning my Xbox 360 worthwhile.
Deathsmiles!  Awesome 2D horizonal shmup and should be found dirt cheap (I think I paid $15 for my copy not too long ago, and it was a Limited Edition that came with an Xbox 360 faceplate and soundtrack).

Also Castlevania: SOTN is a download and if you don't have the Playstation version, that's definitely worth picking up.

Most of my arcade compilations are for the PS2 (I like that controller more for old school stuff) but if they released Capcom Classics Collection or Taito Legends 2 for the 360, they're both chock full of goodness. Lots of Obey relatives.
I have always wanted to try Deathsmiles. Looks good.

There is a Tecmo comp for original X-Brick that's kind of fun.

SmaMan

My old roomie had Deathsmiles. Had the edition front face-plate for his console, even! Only saw him playing it once though, looked pretty cool.
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

RoyVegas

Craigslist find of the year?

The Turbo is actually brand new with everything inside sealed up tight.  The Express needs caps. Will be adding quite a bit of these to my trade/sale thread hopefully within a few days once I get everything I want sorted out. Yey me!  :dance:

/royvegas/CraigslistFind2013.jpg
All is well. :)

munchiaz

Quote from: RoyVegas on 05/28/2013, 10:33 PMCraigslist find of the year?

The Turbo is actually brand new with everything inside sealed up tight.  The Express needs caps. Will be adding quite a bit of these to my trade/sale thread hopefully within a few days once I get everything I want sorted out. Yey me!  :dance:

/CraigslistFind2013.jpg
got damn man you hit the jackpot.

BlueBMW

Quote from: LameKat on 05/28/2013, 09:35 PMWhat's the safest way to clean? Read many different opinions.
I use a cue tip + some high grade electronics cleaning alcohol (i think the stuff I use is 75%?)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

roflmao

The Turbo is actually brand new with everything inside sealed up tight.  The Express needs caps. Will be adding quite a bit of these to my trade/sale thread hopefully within a few days once I get everything I want sorted out. Yey me!  :dance:
Holy moly, Roy!  That's insane!  What a find.  Congrats!

EDIT:
Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/28/2013, 10:54 PMI use a cue tip + some high grade electronics cleaning alcohol (i think the stuff I use is 75%?)
I think the off-the-shelf isopropyl alcohol you can get at any drug store is about 75% (that what i currently have and I think I got it at CVS) but back when I was a laser printer tech, we special ordered 95% isopropyl alcohol.  I bet you could find it on ebay or amazon, though I don't know if it's really worth the effort. :)

Tatsujin

Fuck yeah, crisis force :bonler:

PCEngineHell

/CraigslistFind2013.jpg[/URL]
Looks like you nabbed most of the major US titles there in one grab. Nice haul.

whisper2053

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/28/2013, 08:19 PM
Quote from: whisper2053 on 05/28/2013, 03:54 PM/imag0109vl.jpg
Version 1.5 of what? Or is whatever this is simply called "Version 1.5"? Looks kind of plain. I bet version 1.6 is better.
It is Dux 1.5, a Dreamcast homebrew game from Hucast. Lol, far as I know there has only been 1.0 and 1.5
IMG

munchiaz

Heres what i picked up today from a Coworker. Got it all for a little over $160. Earthbound was only $40......Suck it ebay sellers.

IMG
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: munchiaz on 05/29/2013, 02:54 AMHeres what i picked up today from a Coworker. Got it all for a little over $160. Earthbound was only $40......Suck it ebay sellers.

IMG
IMG
Lucky you for getting eb at that price.Still i'm hoping once it hit's the virutal console,it will drop in price for auctions.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TheClash603

Nice find Roy.  I see CD games, but no CD system, what's up with that?

If that Turbo Booster Plus is going to be added to ur sale thread, then I get first dibs :)

FiftyQuid

If I ever came across this much Turbob in the wild I'm sure I'd piss myself.  What's that game to the left of Godzilla?

After adding some items to your sales thread, maybe, just maybe you'll consider shipping to Canada?  Pretty please!  I'm still looking for a decently priced TurboExpress.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

NecroPhile

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/29/2013, 09:42 AMWhat's that game to the left of Godzilla?
That's the CD+G sample disc that was packaged with some Turbo CD add-ons.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RoyVegas

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/29/2013, 07:55 AMNice find Roy.  I see CD games, but no CD system, what's up with that?
Good eye!  The lady I got it all didn't give me everything she had. She was moving out of state and only wanted to take with her games she still likes to play.  Which meant her keeping the gaming Turbo/CD and 3.0 card as well as a stack of games. She took my phone number in case she decides to sell more (which probably won't be happening as she is leaving the state).

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/29/2013, 07:55 AMIf that Turbo Booster Plus is going to be added to ur sale thread, then I get first dibs :) 
More than likely it'll be on the sale/trade thread, the box I'll probably keep though.

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2013, 10:46 AM
Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/29/2013, 09:42 AMWhat's that game to the left of Godzilla?
That's the CD+G sample disc that was packaged with some Turbo CD add-ons.
Exactly.

whisper2053

/imag0115f.jpg

^ I still need to find one like this for the PCE :(

And also:

/imag0112kg.jpg
IMG

SmaMan

Quote from: RoyVegas on 05/29/2013, 11:19 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/29/2013, 07:55 AMNice find Roy.  I see CD games, but no CD system, what's up with that?
Good eye!  The lady I got it all didn't give me everything she had. She was moving out of state and only wanted to take with her games she still likes to play.  Which meant her keeping the gaming Turbo/CD and 3.0 card as well as a stack of games. She took my phone number in case she decides to sell more (which probably won't be happening as she is leaving the state).
That's the kind of lot I need to find to really boost my new PCE/Turbo collection! By the way, and it's cool if you don't want to disclose this, but how much did all that cost? Just curious.
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.

bob

Found these displays in the box bin at BJ's.  Thought I might paint them and find something to "display" on them.

/displays.jpg

xcrement5x

Wow, pretty amazing find.  Apparently Vegas is where everything, including Turbo stuff, goes in retirement now.  But damn, both Exiles and Vasteel, I'm guessing she decided to keep CF2 because of its awesomeness.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

SmaMan

Quote from: galam on 05/29/2013, 01:54 PMFound these displays in the box bin at BJ's.  Thought I might paint them and find something to "display" on them.
At first glance, I swear that left box said "Children's Viagra."

RoyVegas

Quote from: SmaMan on 05/29/2013, 12:27 PMBy the way, and it's cool if you don't want to disclose this, but how much did all that cost? Just curious.
:-#

Quote from: guest on 05/29/2013, 01:57 PMI'm guessing she decided to keep CF2 because of its awesomeness.
You'd be guessing right.  That is one of the ones she kept.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: whisper2053 on 05/29/2013, 12:22 PMAnd also:

/imag0112kg.jpg
The Wonder Swan had GOLDEN AXE? (head explodes)