RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Game Sack

Started by Joe Redifer, 07/25/2011, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GohanX

Quote from: esadajr on 05/28/2013, 04:08 PMNo way the neo geo x looks that good. You just got me thinking. Time to fire up good ol le mameox.
The Xbox's emulators don't look that great compared to original hardware either. It does have the option to set filters though, which the NGX sorely lacks. Also, don't forget the whole "I'm using an expensive video converter" part of my comment.

esadajr

Quote from: JKM on 05/28/2013, 04:41 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 05/28/2013, 04:08 PMNo way the neo geo x looks that good. You just got me thinking. Time to fire up good ol le mameox.
The Xbox's emulators don't look that great compared to original hardware either. It does have the option to set filters though, which the NGX sorely lacks.
Agreed, that's why I say the neo x doesn't even compare to the emus.

Quote from: JKM on 05/28/2013, 04:41 PMAlso, don't forget the whole "I'm using an expensive video converter" part of my comment.
Also agreed. The composite is so bad you had to go trough all that trouble to hook it up.
Gaming since 1985

Joe Redifer

Quote from: esadajr on 05/28/2013, 04:12 PMI guess nothing beats those consolised MVS.
Well as far as video quality goes, a modified AES beats a consolized MVS. The reason is the refresh rate which I'm sure I've mentioned before. Very tough to record MVS video for me. Also, aren't they mono by default? I find this odd as I remember the arcade cabs being in stereo. But the consolized MVS w/ Supergun I used for one episode was mono.

munchiaz

GohanX

Joe: The raw RGB video of the home and MVS systems are the same, it's what happens when the RGB is converted to something else that affects the video quality. Most will tell you MVS video is superior, which isn't strictly true, it's just that the aftermarket video encoders are generally higher quality than a home system. In your case, the MVS you borrowed probably had an inferior video encoder.

As far as stereo, most MVS boards were stereo. However, Jamma standard is mono, so the one you borrowed was either A: Hooked to a mono only supergun, B: A mono one slot board or C: Lazy consolizer didn't hook up both L and R channels.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/28/2013, 08:16 PM
Quote from: esadajr on 05/28/2013, 04:12 PMI guess nothing beats those consolised MVS.
Well as far as video quality goes, a modified AES beats a consolized MVS. The reason is the refresh rate which I'm sure I've mentioned before. Very tough to record MVS video for me. Also, aren't they mono by default? I find this odd as I remember the arcade cabs being in stereo. But the consolized MVS w/ Supergun I used for one episode was mono.
If I remember correctly on my old MVS 1-Slot you can go beyond the JAMMA connector to get stereo - I think it's a plug on the side of the board or wired off the headphone jack.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: JKM on 05/28/2013, 09:08 PMJoe: The raw RGB video of the home and MVS systems are the same, it's what happens when the RGB is converted to something else that affects the video quality. Most will tell you MVS video is superior, which isn't strictly true, it's just that the aftermarket video encoders are generally higher quality than a home system. In your case, the MVS you borrowed probably had an inferior video encoder.
How could it change the actual rate the video is running at? The MVS runs a bit slower, this is actually pretty well known and this is my problem. So I can't record MVS video with any reliability (picture breaks up a bit every few seconds). Looks fine when I play it on a TV, just not when I record it.

TR0N

Game Sack-The Rare and Valuable
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PunkCryborg

Cool Turbo shirt Joe

Tatsujin

cool ep. just missed teh rare games :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: TR0N on 06/09/2013, 04:13 AMGame Sack-The Rare and Valuable
Nice ep, but maybe next time you can do a whole episode on each specific system for rare games? Just an idea. :)

esteban

STATUS: My daughter and I enjoyed the newest episode. She laughed the most during the 32X Spider-Man game (which looked kool, IMHO, but I know it's a stinker).

:pcgs: IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

I know what I am watching tonight! Do you? 8)

Psycho Punch

Spider Man, Spider Man, takes a dump in a coffee can.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Mathius

A friend of mine picked up Einhander for $20 mint at VGS last year. I still have nightmares about missing out on that deal.  :P

I still might pick up the Jap release of Magical Chase one day if I can get a good deal on it. I really enjoy its tunes and bright colors.

Little Samson is one I'd like to come across one day. Those boss sprites are probably the scariest 8-Bit graphics I have ever seen! :shock:

...enjoy your golf game, Joe.

Tatsujin

Is Einhänder any rare? If yes, which version?

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/09/2013, 09:27 PMIs Einhänder any rare? If yes, which version?
I wouldn't call it super-rare. The US version is more rare than the Japanese release I believe. I saw a US copy in a game store last year for about $35 complete.

Tatsujin

Ok, so not even near to something that should be considered rare then :)

JPN copies can be had for 10 to 15 bucks easily and at any time.

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/09/2013, 09:40 PMOk, so not even near to something that should be considered rare then :)

I would get the US version just for the better box art. IIRC the Japanese art style on the cover was less appealing.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mathius on 06/09/2013, 10:16 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/09/2013, 09:40 PMOk, so not even near to something that should be considered rare then :)

I would get the US version just for the better box art. IIRC the Japanese art style on the cover was less appealing.
Oh, I quite digged the JPN artwork ;)

IMG

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/09/2013, 10:23 PM

IMG
Oh that's pretty cool actually. I still prefer the US art for some reason, though I'll admit I had a different mental picture associated with the Japanese release. Maybe I was thinking of the inner liner or the back of the manual.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mathius on 06/09/2013, 10:26 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/09/2013, 10:23 PM

IMG
though I'll admit I had a different mental picture associated with the Japanese release. Maybe I was thinking of the inner liner or the back of the manual.
Nono, you sure were thinking of this cover here:

IMG

The one from above is actually from the taikenban version :P

Mathius

LOL...taikenban?

Joe Redifer

They need one with a middle finger. I don't think Einhander is rare, it's just holding its value at least here in the US. There are lots of games that are rare yet cheap (Frank Thomas' Big Squirt Baseball on the Saturn) and not rare but cost more than you'd expect. Rare doesn't always mean valuable and vice versa.

allyourblood

Quote from: Mathius on 06/09/2013, 09:14 PMI still might pick up the Jap release of Magical Chase one day if I can get a good deal on it. I really enjoy its tunes and bright colors.
I've been thinking the same. I know I'll never own the US version, and I really want to play it. I don't care for emulation much, but the going rate on the Japanese version is still way too high for me to buy it. I rage at its "rarity" (quotes on purpose), since I just wanna play the silly thing. Why couldn't stupid Gunboat be the crazy-rare release? Why something I actually want to try?
If anyone gets any leads on a "fair priced" copy of Coryoon, please lemme know!

Where is fancy bred?

Psycho Punch

I bet people would be all over those "fully 3D polygonal simulation games" if Gunboat and Falcon sold by thousands on ebay. Haha

Or maybe it would be expensive by now if it were "OMG FALCON 3.0 FALCON 3.0 HOLY CRAP THE PC HIT" like the magazines were advertising... it was so bad they didn't have the balls to put the version number on the final TG release so people didn't went comparing one with the other haha. If only had been like this, maybe an Arcade CDRom?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esadajr

Ducktales 2 but no Flintstones 2?
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 06/09/2013, 11:37 PMI bet people would be all over those "fully 3D polygonal simulation games" if Gunboat and Falcon sold by thousands on ebay. Haha

Or maybe it would be expensive by now if it were "OMG FALCON 3.0 FALCON 3.0 HOLY CRAP THE PC HIT" like the magazines were advertising... it was so bad they didn't have the balls to put the version number on the final TG release so people didn't went comparing one with the other haha. If only had been like this, maybe an Arcade CDRom?
Other than having a checkerboard ground, I don't see how that's any better than the Turbob version;  it's got the same herky-jerky motion in a flat, featureless world.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esadajr on 06/10/2013, 02:14 PMDucktales 2 but no Flintstones 2?
I think Duck Tales 2 is a better game than Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak is.

With that said, Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak is an excellent 8-bit platformer.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

???? Were we required to include every rare game into a single episode? PLEASE LET US KNOW NEXT TIME!

esadajr

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/11/2013, 03:21 PM
???? Were we required to include every rare game into a single episode? PLEASE LET US KNOW NEXT TIME!
just seemed like a "logical" choice
Gaming since 1985

BigusSchmuck

No but Dungeon Explorer II and Beyond Shadowgate would be cool. Just a thought.

Mathius

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 06/14/2013, 09:31 PM
No but Dungeon Explorer II and Beyond Shadowgate would be cool. Just a thought.
I am sure Joe will be doing another ep. featuring rare games. If you don't have Beyond Shadowgate, Joe, I may be able to loan you mine if you wish. If not no worries. :)

Joe Redifer

I have Beyond Shadowgate. Just finished playing it. That one's rare?

Tatsujin

At least rarer than 50% from the last GS show :)

Joe Redifer

Damn Tats, you're hard to please. Sorry our show wasn't rare enough for you. Send us some rare games and we'll feature them.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/15/2013, 12:36 PMI have Beyond Shadowgate. Just finished playing it. That one's rare?
Yeah I rarely see that one pop up on ebay and when I do, its crazy expensive. Well a couple of hundred dollars usually... There is a list of them here that has been probably posted at some point: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/turbografx-16/the-rarest-most-valuable-pc-engine-turbografx-16-games
Another thought, a good episode would be games that were obviously ripping off/cloning from another game. A good example would be the whole Fighter's History debacle and how it was supposedly ripping off Street Fighter 2. I could go on to include Dungeon Explorer vs Gauntlet and Neutopia vs The Legend of Zelda but I'm sure I'll get a lot of flak here as I'm sure people think Neutopia/Dungeon Explorer are superior games. :P

Mathius

Dungeon Explorer is definitely the superior game. I think Neutopia has some fine music and atmosphere, but doesn't hold up the imaginative standards set by The Legend of Zelda. The first three Zelda games have a soul.

PunkCryborg

Is the CDi episode coming any time soon?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Mathius on 06/15/2013, 09:40 PMDungeon Explorer is definitely the superior game. I think Neutopia has some fine music and atmosphere, but doesn't hold up the imaginative standards set by The Legend of Zelda. The first three Zelda games have a soul.
I likes them both. :) I also think a Wolfenstein 3D vs Doom is in order too.

allyourblood

Quote from: Mathius on 06/15/2013, 09:40 PMDungeon Explorer is definitely the superior game. I think Neutopia has some fine music and atmosphere, but doesn't hold up the imaginative standards set by The Legend of Zelda. The first three Zelda games have a soul.
I loved Zelda and LttP both (and the two Neutopias!), but when it comes to these types of games, I always pick Crusader of Centy first. A lot of people will disagree with me, but I love the FM tunes and the way the game controls. It's a reasonably long game and has lots of cool little hidden surprises and funny remarks from NPCs. To me it feels like a perfect mix of the depth of LttP with the lighter action-first vibe of Neutopia.

Where is fancy bred?

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/15/2013, 07:41 PMDamn Tats, you're hard to please. Sorry our show wasn't rare enough for you. Send us some rare games and we'll feature them.
Lol, just saying. And it was a very entertaining episode :)

Mathius

Quote from: allyourblood on 06/15/2013, 10:19 PM
I loved Zelda and LttP both (and the two Neutopias!), but when it comes to these types of games, I always pick Crusader of Centy first. A lot of people will disagree with me, but I love the FM tunes and the way the game controls. It's a reasonably long game and has lots of cool little hidden surprises and funny remarks from NPCs. To me it feels like a perfect mix of the depth of LttP with the lighter action-first vibe of Neutopia.
Crusader of Centy is a game that has always eluded me. I have never seen it for sale anywhere (aside from ebay). One day I hope to see what all the fuss is about. I refuse to emulate games in most cases.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Mathius on 06/15/2013, 10:32 PM
Crusader of Centy is a game that has always eluded me. I have never seen it for sale anywhere (aside from ebay). One day I hope to see what all the fuss is about. I refuse to emulate games in most cases.
I'm not sure if its worth $90, but I do recall renting it in the olden days... I didn't really find it very enjoyable in those days but that's probably due the fact I was busy playing of Secret of Evermore to give it a second chance.

allyourblood

When I started high school, I had given up on games for a couple years (girls, guitar, etc), and passed my 16-bit systems down to my little brother. By this time Genesis games were starting to appear at yard sales, swap meets, and thrift stores pretty regularly. My parents bought him a box of games that included Crusader of Centy. I saw him playing it and got hooked right away.

After I moved out, I was lucky and bought mine for cheaps, locally if I recall, but yeah, this one fetches a pretty high price online. I love the game and considering how short of a run it likely had, I'm not surprised that it's priced more than other games. But it's disappointing to see it going for such a high price since I always hear from folks who say they've never played it.

I don't care much for emulation either and that's why I haven't played any of my recent TGCD purchases or some of the more expensive TG games (MC, Tonma, Bonk 3) so I feel your pain. I imagine you'll enjoy it when you eventually get the chance.

Where is fancy bred?

jeffhlewis

Game is a complete knock off in a lot of ways but it's definitely not to be missed out on. Great game - my buddy got it in the bargain bin back in like '96 for $5 sealed. Borrowed it from him and had to mail it back to him years later, haha.

TR0N

Crusader of Centy is a obscure one but a solid action rpg for the genesis.It was a late release by atlus so id assume it didn't have a large run.If you want don't want to emulate it,it can be played off a flashcart.Not to mention the japanese version often go's for $20.00 complete under the name shinsouseseiki ragacenty.When it came out originally i remember it being compared more towards zelda lttp then neutopia.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

roflmao

I almost beg to differ.  I love A link to the Past. It's one of my favorite games on the snes.  However, my 5 yr old son and I have been playing through it for the past few days and when I popped in Neutopia as a little break, he LOVED it.  It nearly brought a tear to by eye.  We've been playing that ever since.

Mathius

Quote from: TR0N on 06/16/2013, 02:27 AM
Crusader of Centy is a obscure one but a solid action rpg for the genesis.It was a late release by atlus so id assume it didn't have a large run.If you want don't want to emulate it,it can be played off a flashcart.Not to mention the japanese version often go's for $20.00 complete under the name shinsouseseiki ragacenty.When it came out originally i remember it being compared more towards zelda lttp then neutopia.
I'll probably hold out for a NA copy. Patience seems to always work out for me.

Quote from: guest on 06/16/2013, 02:30 AM
I almost beg to differ.  I love A link to the Past. It's one of my favorite games on the snes.  However, my 5 yr old son and I have been playing through it for the past few days and when I popped in Neutopia as a little break, he LOVED it.  It nearly brought a tear to by eye.  We've been playing that ever since.
This warms my heart. Have you shown him the original Zelda yet?