PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboXray

I always looked at Zaku as more of a tribute game rather than a ripoff. Anyway, the author of game is here on PCFX. He also made a custom mapper chip for the PCE on a new hucard board.

soop

Really?  Wow, didn't know that.  Looks like the best game on the Lynx (though personally, I don't consider that a tough ask)
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 06/22/2013, 03:56 PMARCADE resized to 256 pixels wide <--------------> PCE
IMG IMG

IMG
SF I is bad no matter what version you play
Gaming since 1985

Tatsujin

it maybe is bad and even aged much badder, but when it came out it was a very visionary and trend-setting game. THANK YOU STREET FIGHTER 1 AKA FIGHTING STREET!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

PATHETIC: In case folks didn't know, I have been (slowly) making a easier way to see these comparisons (I think I'm halfway through this epic thread...but, currently, it's all on one page (I need to split it up by genre, there are 1,000 images on the page? Ha! Totally inefficient..):

https://www.tg-16.com/screenshot_comparisons.htm
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nando

Love that page. The left margin is way offset btw.

Tatsujin

best page ever :D

Esty, you should implement a clickable rating system, so that peeps can rate their favorite version^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/10/2013, 11:20 PMbest page ever :D

Esty, you should implement a clickable rating system, so that peeps can rate their favorite version^^
Seconded!

_Paul

/mzbr.png

Nando

Is the very top one the arcade version?

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 07/11/2013, 03:49 PMThat's the PCE version, silly.
Critical viewing skills OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW on my end....DUR....

Man, I "need" that for my PCE collection :D

_Paul

Tatsujin

Quote from: Nando on 07/11/2013, 05:00 PM

lol, you thought the pce is the arcade and the sms is the pce :lol:

geise

So sad pc-engine version of Forgotten Worlds is only 1 player.  Graphically it's pretty much up there with the arcade (minus the parallax), and has all the levels.  Not to mention the music and the arcade plus pc-engine voices for the cutscenes.

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/13/2013, 10:19 AM
Quote from: Nando on 07/11/2013, 05:00 PM

lol, you thought the pce is the arcade and the sms is the pce :lol:
Maybe   8-[

CrackTiger

Tokimeki Memorial

PCE <-----------------------------------------------------> Playstation
IMGIMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Looks like you lose if you play either version.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: geise on 07/14/2013, 08:10 AMSo sad pc-engine version of Forgotten Worlds is only 1 player.  Graphically it's pretty much up there with the arcade (minus the parallax), and has all the levels.  Not to mention the music and the arcade plus pc-engine voices for the cutscenes.
Why do they make known 2-player arcade games single player on consoles?  Laziness or sprite limits?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Mathius

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 08/10/2013, 05:40 PM
Quote from: geise on 07/14/2013, 08:10 AMSo sad pc-engine version of Forgotten Worlds is only 1 player.  Graphically it's pretty much up there with the arcade (minus the parallax), and has all the levels.  Not to mention the music and the arcade plus pc-engine voices for the cutscenes.
Why do they make known 2-player arcade games single player on consoles?  Laziness or sprite limits?
My uneducated guess would be memory limitations.

CrackTiger

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 08/10/2013, 05:40 PM
It's a combination of lack of skill or effort when dealing with sprite limits. Most developers seemed to only know how to do so many things and were completely oblivious to certain tricks. This is why too many PCE games have static backgrounds with tiles lined up perfectly for h-sync parallax. Many developers who turned out impressive ports like Forgotton Worlds were still very sloppy with sprite usage. Forgotten Worlds for PCE already has less screen coverage with sprites due to using the medium resolution, but Tomaitheous looked into the game and found, like too many PCE ports such as Tenchi Wo Kurau, that sprite sizes were inefficient. It's amazing that the game doesn't have more break-up/flicker.

I think that Sidearms uses sprites for the better-than-arcade parallax. Even though it also runs in medium res, I think that 2-player gameplay would be fine, with an acceptible level of sprite break-up. The programmer likely wanted to shoot for as little as possible. All the PCE games that fill the screen with sprites, especially those 2-player shooters that have to plan on players flying and shooting anywhere they want, prove what can really be done. That's one of the most impressive things about Sapphire. Even if any one person doesn't appreciate the art style, animation, gameplay, etc, -it's still filling the screen with player ships with two options each, all firing huge ammo, going up against tons of enemies with bullets and giant bosses with long segmented limbs, who fire giant ammo as well... with sprites in the background for extra parallax/decoration.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

Are the deformable objects in Sapphire sprites?

CrackTiger

Koa Zo

Tonight I was playing some Mizubaku Adventure on PC-Engine and was amazed at how fantastic it looks and sounds. My previous exposure to the game was through the Saturn port and the later (glitchy) PS2 Taito Memories collection.

I know it breaks with the theme of this thread, but any chance of doing a Saturn to PC-Engine comparison for this one?
There are Steam Hearts and a few other games which also have Saturn/PC-Engine counterparts, now that I think about it.

Tatsujin

We also did NeoGeo to PCE comparisons in the past, so nothing that would acctually break this threads rule :)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/02/2013, 05:45 AMWe also did NeoGeo to PCE comparisons in the past, so nothing that would acctually break this threads rule :)
We also did Saturn/PSX/PCE comparisons. :)

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2013, 10:27 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/02/2013, 05:45 AMWe also did NeoGeo to PCE comparisons in the past, so nothing that would acctually break this threads rule :)
We also did Saturn/PSX/PCE comparisons. :)
Any thread that compares Donkey Kong Country with Beyond Shadowgate is totally insane. And totally cool too.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/08/2009, 09:05 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 04/08/2009, 04:31 PMWow, I always remember the TG16 Aero Blasters looking a little better than the Genesis, but these screenshots are making me think the opposite.

Tom, those Forgotten World screenshots are very interesting. I think the converted PCE pal screenshot has nicer shading than the arcade!
A while back when Tatsujin started a thread about SFII port resolutions, I made some regular sized Forgotten Worlds screen shots, including the arcade colored with PCE palette colors.

The left image is the regular arcade, the right is the arcade in PCE color-

IMGIMG

The PCE pallete sure loves CPS games. :D Too bad more developers didn't take advantage. I think that most of the sprites in the game were transferred pixel for pixel, making them even bigger on screen than in the arcade. If having CPS arcade sized sprites against backgrounds like these means a little flicker, I'll gladly take it over an average 16-bit console port.

The game still runs at a higher resolution than the regular resolution of every Genesis and SNES game while maintaining a high level of shading and detail. This combo is a real strength that the PCE has over the other consoles and should have happened in more games, especially non-sprite intensive stuff like RPGs. It still wouldn't have taken much to add some layered scrolling in places, but it always seems that every PCE developer only knew how to do some things, but none knew how to do them all. But with sampled sfx and CD music, layered bgs really are the only element missing aesthetically.

Here is the regular arcade and PCE screens lined up-

IMG

I like the changes they made with the coloring, but like the blue highlights on the bg should have been kept.

The Genesis version still has nice graphics and was very impressive and really fun when it came out. It was one of my favorite early Genesis games.
I wish this post still had the pics. I didn't get a good chance to examine them back then in '09.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mathius on 01/09/2014, 10:20 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 04/08/2009, 09:05 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 04/08/2009, 04:31 PMWow, I always remember the TG16 Aero Blasters looking a little better than the Genesis, but these screenshots are making me think the opposite.

Tom, those Forgotten World screenshots are very interesting. I think the converted PCE pal screenshot has nicer shading than the arcade!
A while back when Tatsujin started a thread about SFII port resolutions, I made some regular sized Forgotten Worlds screen shots, including the arcade colored with PCE palette colors.

The left image is the regular arcade, the right is the arcade in PCE color-

IMGIMG

The PCE pallete sure loves CPS games. :D Too bad more developers didn't take advantage. I think that most of the sprites in the game were transferred pixel for pixel, making them even bigger on screen than in the arcade. If having CPS arcade sized sprites against backgrounds like these means a little flicker, I'll gladly take it over an average 16-bit console port.

The game still runs at a higher resolution than the regular resolution of every Genesis and SNES game while maintaining a high level of shading and detail. This combo is a real strength that the PCE has over the other consoles and should have happened in more games, especially non-sprite intensive stuff like RPGs. It still wouldn't have taken much to add some layered scrolling in places, but it always seems that every PCE developer only knew how to do some things, but none knew how to do them all. But with sampled sfx and CD music, layered bgs really are the only element missing aesthetically.

Here is the regular arcade and PCE screens lined up-

IMG

I like the changes they made with the coloring, but like the blue highlights on the bg should have been kept.

The Genesis version still has nice graphics and was very impressive and really fun when it came out. It was one of my favorite early Genesis games.
I wish this post still had the pics. I didn't get a good chance to examine them back then in '09.
Your wish is my command, master.  :mrgreen:

Mathius

Thanks NecroPhile!

Not sure why they changed some of the colors so drastically in places, and kept the arcade's in other spots.

I need to score this game sometime so I can truly put it to the test.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 07/23/2012, 05:27 PMIMG

Lol wut?
I remember playing the ROM on NES emulation just too see that with my own eyes!! I guess Nintendo didn't want miss chichibinta rika in las vegas mode on their stage :(

Mathius

The best thread on the site needs to be watered every now and then. Let's come up with some suggestions.

Dragon Knight might be interesting.

CrackTiger

CrackTiger

CrackTiger

CrackTiger

Horror Story
https://catalog.pcengine-fx.com/#cd1630

ArcadePC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

PC Engine Bonus:
IMG
https://ephemeralenigmascom.wordpress.com/2023/10/24/horror-story/

[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hsarc2.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce2.png[/img]
[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hsarc1.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce1.png[/img]
[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hsarc3.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce3.png[/img]
[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hsarc4a.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce4.png[/img]
[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hsarc5.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce5.png[/img]
[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hsarc6.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce6.png[/img]
[img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hgtt.png[/img][img width=49%]https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/hspce7.png[/img]

Screenshots taken from The Brothers Duomazov, mobygames, vgmuseum and HG101.

Gentlegamer

All that dithering... Genesis could have had very faithful ports.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 05/09/2015, 02:51 PMDragon Knight III Comparison

PC Engine <---------------------------------------------------> FM Towns

All screenshots taken from mobygames.
I'm sure you know this, but there's also a English language, US released DOS port called Knights of Xentar.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

CrackTiger! Great stuff.  :pcgs: ...Ha!

I love the specific shots you chose, since they match up so well. It really allows for an "A" vs. "B" comparison (of static images, at least).

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/10/2015, 04:09 AM

I'm sure you know this, but there's also a English language, US released DOS port called Knights of Xentar.
Ha! I didn't know about Xentar...

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 05/10/2015, 04:09 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/09/2015, 02:51 PMDragon Knight III Comparison

That's where I got the pics from on mobygames.

Mathius

Nice!

Did Toaplan incorporate any parallax scrolling into the arcade version of Horror Story? NEC Avenue would have done a bang up job with their port if they could have gotten 'dem scrolls in as well.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Mathius on 05/10/2015, 12:00 PMNice!

Did Toaplan incorporate any parallax scrolling into the arcade version of Horror Story? NEC Avenue would have done a bang up job with their port if they could have gotten 'dem scrolls in as well.
The arcade has a second layer scrolling in most places you'd expect. All of it is PCE friendly and variations could have been used for each type, similar to Cotton. Considering that the parallax that is in the PCE port and at least one tile-based scrolling boss are more advanced techniques, I'm guessing that the only reason that more parallax and better color wasn't used is because they weren't given enough time to polish it off (similar to too many PCE games unfortunately).

NecroPhile

Bonk smiley pasties!  :lol:

I'm sure it looks better playing on real hardware with a crt, but the dithering looks horrid compared to the lush colors of OBEY.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 05/09/2015, 03:30 PMHorror Story

PC Engine <---------------------------------------------------> Arcade
That's backwards.

Psycho Punch

Horror Story looks so fun, I have to try it out someday. And the PCE version looks almost 1:1 with the arcade version so I don't mind some missing parallax and graphics.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

shubibiman

I'm quite surprised by how close the PCE port of Horror Story is to the arcade version.

PC EngineFM Towns
IMG IMG
I like the FM Towns better  :mrgreen:
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Mathius

Okay it's homework time guys. Re-read the thread again and I noticed a lot of Awack's pics are missing halfway down page 73 (this is the page that incorporates all the previous pics into one area).

There are many more comparisons missing by Tom (Bonknuts I think), Sunteam, etc throughout the entire thread. This one thread, one thread(!) is the internet's crowning achievement and I think we should do our best to preserve it. The pics, discussions, all of it. So now comes the time for some tough love. And I do lovez yuz guyz. But dammit leave your Photobuckets, Imageshacks, etc alone! Don't fuck with 'em!

Not sure if Awack is still around but the rest of you guys who deleted your photos need to put them back please. This is your homework assignment.  :)

esteban

WELCOME BACK, Mathius! :)

Quote from: Mathius on 06/08/2015, 11:20 PMOkay it's homework time guys. Re-read the thread again and I noticed a lot of Awack's pics are missing halfway down page 73 (this is the page that incorporates all the previous pics into one area).

There are many more comparisons missing by Tom (Bonknuts I think), Sunteam, etc throughout the entire thread. This one thread, one thread(!) is the internet's crowning achievement and I think we should do our best to preserve it. The pics, discussions, all of it. So now comes the time for some tough love. And I do lovez yuz guyz. But dammit leave your Photobuckets, Imageshacks, etc alone! Don't fuck with 'em!

Not sure if Awack is still around but the rest of you guys who deleted your photos need to put them back please. This is your homework assignment.  :)
I was trying to save as much as I could, but I can't remember if I saved everything (like all the side-discussions and tangents).

If folks find things I haven't saved, I promise to add them this weekend.

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 06/09/2015, 06:44 AMWELCOME BACK, Mathius! :)

Quote from: Mathius on 06/08/2015, 11:20 PMOkay it's homework time guys. Re-read the thread again and I noticed a lot of Awack's pics are missing halfway down page 73 (this is the page that incorporates all the previous pics into one area).

I was trying to save as much as I could, but I can't remember if I saved everything (like all the side-discussions and tangents).

If folks find things I haven't saved, I promise to add them this weekend.

I've been reading the notes on your site about the history of this thread and I basically echoed your statements about preservation without realizing it. This makes me consider you, Esteban, the steward of this treasured thread. You've done an excellent job so far. Maybe we can talk Nanto into putting up an advertisement banner to your site here on PCFX.

NecroPhile

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/09/2015, 08:25 PMWhy you hate Columns, esty?!?
Hahahahjajaja!

Without even looking at anything, I'm pretty sure you have a screenshot comparison that has multiple screenshots in one big image...I'm so OCD I didn't want that big image to clash with the style/layout of everything else.

Am I close? Or is my damn memory abominable?

Hmmmm.....