The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFlutterPie

Speaking of Detroit I think we need to build a bigger fence at the Windsor boarder  :-k  :-"

wildfruit

some old battered mega drive games found at a boot sale for only a few pounds
they all work though!
/7g2v.jpg

BlueBMW

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/31/2013, 11:59 AMProblem is paying a damn BMW master mechanic 983258235-28 dollars an hour when something stupid breaks on it. ;)
Hey, someones gotta support my retro gaming habits...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

bartre

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/02/2013, 08:32 AM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/31/2013, 11:59 AMProblem is paying a damn BMW master mechanic 983258235-28 dollars an hour when something stupid breaks on it. ;)
Hey, someones gotta support my retro gaming habits...
so you're saying you're the ONLY BMW mechanic out there?

wildfruit

rather pay a bmw mechanic than what a mercedes dealer charges £110 ($170) an hour what a swizz

wavering

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/31/2013, 11:17 AMDamn I put that orginally but then thought nooooo, oh well.  WRx is better IMO anyway.
Yessir, you'll be cleaning brake dust off those wheels every other day for the rest of your life.  Love my WRX but I don't know if I would jump up to the STI for my daily driver.

sirhcman

Quote from: wavering on 09/02/2013, 11:18 AM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/31/2013, 11:17 AMDamn I put that orginally but then thought nooooo, oh well.  WRx is better IMO anyway.
Yessir, you'll be cleaning brake dust off those wheels every other day for the rest of your life.  Love my WRX but I don't know if I would jump up to the STI for my daily driver.
haha tell me about it! for the amount of fun the car has already given me i think i'll be able to put up with the ridiculous amounts of brake dust :)

PukeSter

Resident Evil: Revelations Wii U (it better be good)
Muramasa (beautiful, but repetitive, only first stage)

Tomorrow picking up Rayman Legends Wii U

BlueBMW

Quote from: bartre on 09/02/2013, 09:30 AMso you're saying you're the ONLY BMW mechanic out there?
Only GOOD one ;)

Oh and I picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns for Wii...

I both love it and hate it.  The nostalgia value is super high (the music remixes, the similar / familiar gameplay and levels)  but they absolutely killed it with frickin waggle controls.  Why why WHY must I shake the damn controller to do a ROLL... the roll / roll jump is what makes DKC games DKC games...  and they f'd it up.  There are so many spots where I know I could blow through it with easy if only I had a damn SNES pad to play it with... 

Apparently there is a way to hack the wii and load some modifications that allow you to use the classic controller with the game.   I'm just surprised that they didnt have support for it in the game.  I mean if you're trying to appeal to a nostalgic crowd with your game, at least offer controls that are the same as the original.  If there was no such thing as the classic controller (or gamecube controllers) on the Wii, I'd give them a pass, but since such peripherals are available, why not use them!?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

sirhcman

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/02/2013, 10:14 PMI both love it and hate it.  The nostalgia value is super high (the music remixes, the similar / familiar gameplay and levels)  but they absolutely killed it with frickin waggle controls.  Why why WHY must I shake the damn controller to do a ROLL... the roll / roll jump is what makes DKC games DKC games...  and they f'd it up.  There are so many spots where I know I could blow through it with easy if only I had a damn SNES pad to play it with... 
Thats why I played it for 5 minutes and said to hell with it and never played it again. Absolutely hate the gimmick controls the Wii has.

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2013, 10:23 PMThats why I played it for 5 minutes and said to hell with it and never played it again. Absolutely hate the gimmick controls the Wii has.
Honestly, give it a shot... It took me a good hour to finally get used to the frickin shake the controller thing.  Its still awkward, but the game really is quite good.  Alternately, I guess there is a 3DS version that doesnt have waggle controls hehe.

Really, I wouldnt care to shake to do the ground pounding or the blowing.. but rolling.. why guys why.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/02/2013, 10:26 PMAlternately, I guess there is a 3DS version that doesnt have waggle controls hehe.
They'll probably screw you over with touch screen controls :P

VenomMacbeth

IMG

A few cheapies from the local game store.  Primal Rage is...eh.  I suck at fighting games.  Super Hang-On is reasonably fun, and Super Monaco GP is impressive but tough as nails.  I can't even finish the first race.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/02/2013, 10:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/02/2013, 10:23 PMThats why I played it for 5 minutes and said to hell with it and never played it again. Absolutely hate the gimmick controls the Wii has.
Honestly, give it a shot... It took me a good hour to finally get used to the frickin shake the controller thing.  Its still awkward, but the game really is quite good.  Alternately, I guess there is a 3DS version that doesnt have waggle controls hehe.

Really, I wouldnt care to shake to do the ground pounding or the blowing.. but rolling.. why guys why.
This is a sore point with me. Nintendo was trying to force waggle controls with its games without any options to change them. Super Mario Galaxy is a true classic and the best Mario game of this generation. But how many times did Mario accidentally spin jump sending him to his doom because of faulty waggle controls? Beyond frustrating I tell ya!

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2013, 08:33 PMMuramasa (beautiful, but repetitive, only first stage)
It can be but the boss battles will keep you are on you're toes.Keep in the mind,to get the true ending you have to collect all of the swords.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

wavering

IMG

Went a little wild on ebay a few weeks back.  I'm still a few games away from my US Square collection, I probably shouldn't have started the Japanese collection...

And Megami Tensei just because.

syphic

Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

PunkCryborg

Dude that's a totally awesome find!!!

roflmao

LameKat

Where'd you snag that? With games too!

Tatsujin

Quote from: LameKat on 09/03/2013, 11:58 PMWith games too!
those games are in fact with a simple sticker pasted over re-branded NA games..hehe.

and yeah, great find dude :)

@venom, it's a to the koreans licensed TG16 system called Vistar.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

RoyVegas

Looks like the one that popped up on eBay and was pulled down shortly after it was posted.  How much did ya offer him?
All is well. :)

syphic

Quote from: RoyVegas on 09/04/2013, 01:16 AMLooks like the one that popped up on eBay and was pulled down shortly after it was posted.  How much did ya offer him?
I just kindly asked if I could buy it now for listed price and he said yeah. Plus shipping of course. Shipping wasn't cheap. If you guys want me to post more pics let me know. Its a really neat piece.
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Elderboroom, dicer

EvilEvoIX

IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Mathius

As stated they were a Korean exclusive. It's kind of interesting that they went to all the trouble to give the system a redesign while they cheaped out on the games and controller.

NecroPhile

Neato, Syphic.  Please do take lots of pics including internals for comparisons by the techy peeps.  :mrgreen:

Sweet Fuse for the PSP showed up in the mail yesterday.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PunkCryborg

yeah if you can start a thread about it with lots of pics thatd be totally rad!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 10:26 AMSweet Fuse for the PSP showed up in the mail yesterday.
Oh I've heard about that game, how do you like it so far. I really dig the art, and the story line seems solid and fu, but I have never tried a visual novel before so I am not sure what to expect.

RoyVegas

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/04/2013, 10:31 AMyeah if you can start a thread about it with lots of pics thatd be totally rad!
Seconded!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 11:06 AMOh I've heard about that game, how do you like it so far. I really dig the art, and the story line seems solid and fu, but I have never tried a visual novel before so I am not sure what to expect.
I've not played it yet (there's a pile of games that need attention first), but it looks to be cute yet not terribly exciting.  Honestly, I bought it mostly because it's one of the last games, meaning it'll likely be hard to find later on if I decide I really do want it and easy to sell if I don't.

Mzo

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 11:06 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 10:26 AMSweet Fuse for the PSP showed up in the mail yesterday.
Oh I've heard about that game, how do you like it so far. I really dig the art, and the story line seems solid and fu, but I have never tried a visual novel before so I am not sure what to expect.
I've been playing it a bit.  It's not just a visual novel but an otome game.  Some people might not be cool with that.  Did you play Hakuoki?

It's pretty hilarious how you play as Keiji Inafune's fictional niece.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 11:46 AMHonestly, I bought it mostly because it's one of the last games, meaning it'll likely be hard to find later on if I decide I really do want it and easy to sell if I don't.
As in last PSP UMD type games?

Quote from: Mzo on 09/04/2013, 11:52 AM
Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 11:06 AM
I've been playing it a bit.  It's not just a visual novel but an otome game.  Some people might not be cool with that.  Did you play Hakuoki?

It's pretty hilarious how you play as Keiji Inafune's fictional niece.
Mzo I have not played Hakuoki either, I will look into it. I'm cool with it being an Otome game, this is a super niche JP title so I know my mileage may vary and all that other Jazz.  I'm intrigued .

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 11:57 AMAs in last PSP UMD type games?
Right.  There's Class of Heroes 2 still to come out and that might be it.

bob

two new books.

dotsandloops .com/turbo/anatomy.jpg

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 01:07 PM
Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 11:57 AMAs in last PSP UMD type games?
Right.  There's Class of Heroes 2 still to come out and that might be it.
That looks really neat too. Man if anything, I would just love to have some art books for a big chunk of the PSP library.

Galam,

Nice dude, inside pics possible? what are they?

bob

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 02:26 PMGalam,

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I ordered them.  They seem to be tounge-in-cheek breakdowns of the NES Zelda and Castlevania games.
Very well done.  I am a sucker for video game related books and read as many as I can find.  They are about 80 pages each.
Here are a few snippets...

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite1.jpg

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite2.jpg

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite3.jpg

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite4.jpg

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite5.jpg

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite6.jpg

dotsandloops .com/turbo/spite7.jpg

syphic

Quote from: RoyVegas on 09/04/2013, 11:27 AM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/04/2013, 10:31 AMyeah if you can start a thread about it with lots of pics thatd be totally rad!
Seconded!
Where should i Start this thread? In the US Turbo section since its really a US Turbo or in the PC Engine Section since it still an asian import?

Nando

Quote from: galam on 09/04/2013, 03:08 PM
Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 02:26 PMGalam,

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I ordered them.  They seem to be tounge-in-cheek breakdowns of the NES Zelda and Castlevania games.
Very well done.  I am a sucker for video game related books and read as many as I can find.  They are about 80 pages each.
Here are a few snippets...

/turbo/spite1.jpg
That's really sweet, would make for awesome coffee table books. Where did you buy them at?

bob

NecroPhile

Quote from: syphic on 09/04/2013, 05:26 PMWhere should i Start this thread? In the US Turbo section since its really a US Turbo or in the PC Engine Section since it still an asian import?
Either one - we'll find it!

PunkCryborg

I haven't built a mech model kit in years so I picked up one from the series I'm watching. I didn't get any paints or anything yet and this one has a nice coating on the exterior pieces anyways so I'm not sure how much detailing I need to do or should do but yeah just wanted to build one for fun and not get too involved in it.
/d65i.jpg

turboswimbz

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 09/05/2013, 10:25 AMI haven't built a mech model kit in years so I picked up one from the series I'm watching. I didn't get any paints or anything yet and this one has a nice coating on the exterior pieces anyways so I'm not sure how much detailing I need to do or should do but yeah just wanted to build one for fun and not get too involved in it.
love the box art.  Hope this looks cool. i might have to pick one up too.  Such a fun series.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

whisper2053

It has been a few days and I have let some stuff build up, so here's the lot of what has arrived to date:

/scaled/medium/850/hrow.jpg

Special thanks to TurboCro for these! Super awesome man, thanks a million.

Next, fresh in from Windy, some pce goodness!

/scaled/medium/547/k9qw.jpg

Gotta love the Obey... :D

One of the items that just arrived today...

/scaled/medium/571/7z4v.jpg

Thanks to MJ1984 over on ng.com for that one. Now I am just waiting on my RGB patch cable to get here and some 32x is ON lol.

Next...

/scaled/medium/19/sp0g.jpg

These things are damn near mint...now I just need to scrounge up some inserts.

Next up, fresh from Amazon, possibly the most awesome VGA>HDMI transcoder that I have run across so far...

/scaled/medium/59/4qhb.jpg

If you don't believe me, check out my recent YT vids...VGA stuff looks fantastic in HD with this thing!

And lastly, but CERTAINLY not least...my Neo flag from rcantor77 arrived today finally!

/scaled/large/822/9mwr.jpg

It looks absolutely amazing! Only sucky thing was despite rcantor getting it out crazy fast, the MILPO took forevvvvvver to get it here (about 1.5 months...). Stupid military lol...
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

wildfruit

I love that neo geo banner
The dirty reeboks not so much

whisper2053

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/05/2013, 02:33 PMI love that neo geo banner
The dirty reeboks not so much
Lol those are my PT shoes...we go running in mud and snow all the time so 'clean' isn't something I tend to be very interested in lol.
IMG

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 05:44 PM
Quote from: syphic on 09/04/2013, 05:26 PMWhere should i Start this thread? In the US Turbo section since its really a US Turbo or in the PC Engine Section since it still an asian import?
Either one - we'll find it!
I didn't find it.  These are fantastic looking books though.  Cheap price as well.  :)
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

bob

If you are referring to my books, yeah, the hardcovers were a little overpriced.
I started the castlevania one last night and its a pretty good read.

RoyVegas

Quote from: whisper2053 on 09/05/2013, 12:51 PM/9mwr.jpg
Is that a lanyard hanging from the wall?
OR
Your thong?

whisper2053

Quote from: RoyVegas on 09/05/2013, 04:45 PMIs that a lanyard hanging from the wall?
OR
Your thong?
Reflective PT belt. It keeps me safe when I go outside (or so the Army keeps trying to convince me...) :D
IMG