RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 11/07/2013, 06:37 PMCouple pickups in the past 2 weeks:

1.) Ninja Gaiden, CIB for the Sega Master System. Got a shockingly good price for this one - thank you eBay alerts

2.) The rare-ish re-release version of Phantasy Star, CIB (if your version has the battery backup memory text in green in the top right, yours is too; the original release didn't have it).

That leaves me with just the blue cart version of Rambo to have the full NTSC set + the variants, which I whiffed on once a year ago at auction and haven't seen it since...

3.) Longbox NFL Gameday for the PS1 for a buck at Goodwill, also CIB. God, this game is awful but I couldn't resist.

IMG
I just checked my cart of Phantasy Star. It's gween! Yay!

Nice one on the Ninja Gaiden. I have been after that one for a while.

bob

Is ninja gaiden a US release?  I have never come across one, but my SMS knowledge is way limited.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: galam on 11/07/2013, 07:56 PMIs ninja gaiden a US release?  I have never come across one, but my SMS knowledge is way limited.
It's the PAL version - no NTSC release for that one. I'm trying to get Power Strike II PAL to top off the collection but it's getting pretty insanely expensive these days.

xcrement5x

Nice SMS goodies!  I just recently realized I don't have a copy of Phantasy Star and was kind of sad.  But found a second copy of Ys in a box of stuff so maybe that balances it out :P
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

TheClash603

Mobile so quoting is a pain in the ass, but..

1.)  I love the LA haul.  Road Prosecutor is my favorite game on the system and VC2 isn't too far behind.

2.)  I think in the original NFL Gameday you can tackle the WR and not get called for interference, as long as you also intercept the ball.  I played that game a lot BITD if that is the one...  give it a try!

jeffhlewis

Quote from: TheClash603 on 11/08/2013, 07:10 PMMobile so quoting is a pain in the ass, but..

1.)  I love the LA haul.  Road Prosecutor is my favorite game on the system and VC2 isn't too far behind.

2.)  I think in the original NFL Gameday you can tackle the WR and not get called for interference, as long as you also intercept the ball.  I played that game a lot BITD if that is the one...  give it a try!
Re: Gameday - I fired it up quick in the PS1 emulator to give it a run through. It made me really appreciate how much better NFL games got when NFL 2k came out on the DC. That game actually still holds up decently today.

I played last years Madden a little bit and man, I gotta say that the NFL exclusive license is killing any and all innovation with football games. Really with 2K Sports got another shot at making a competitor to the Madden franchise.

bob

I am an avid madden player, and I agree about the "exclusive" clause with EA.
we are forced to live with them telling us what we want because there is no choice. Every year they make stupid changes to the button assignments and adding dumb features nobody ever even plays. All to justify the $60 asking price. IMO, they have never topped 2003 from a playability standpoint.

I never got into the 2k series, because back then Madden satisfied me just fine. I had roommates BATTLE over 2k matches for literally weekends on end.

Sparky

I found these today, always Nintendo never sega!

IMG

BlueBMW

[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Sparky

bob

WTF is that muppet game and why don't I have it?

Sparky

Quote from: galam on 11/09/2013, 08:47 PMWTF is that muppet game and why don't I have it?
Haha.. It was an instant grab glam... Muppets make me happy

bob

Same here. I flippin' love the muppets. I'm serious, I play one of the NES games frequently.
I need to hit the bay for that GC game. I didn't even know it existed.

JapanTokei

That Ninja Gaiden is super sexy.  from what I read the gameplay rocks too.  I'm drooling...

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 11/07/2013, 06:37 PMCouple pickups in the past 2 weeks:

1.) Ninja Gaiden, CIB for the Sega Master System. Got a shockingly good price for this one - thank you eBay alerts

2.) The rare-ish re-release version of Phantasy Star, CIB (if your version has the battery backup memory text in green in the top right, yours is too; the original release didn't have it).

That leaves me with just the blue cart version of Rambo to have the full NTSC set + the variants, which I whiffed on once a year ago at auction and haven't seen it since...

3.) Longbox NFL Gameday for the PS1 for a buck at Goodwill, also CIB. God, this game is awful but I couldn't resist.

IMG

DragonmasterDan

No one stellar item here, but I got a lot of inexpensive good stuff today.

IMG
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/10/2013, 06:06 PMNo one stellar item here, but I got a lot of inexpensive good stuff today.

IMG
I'd love to hear about Dungeon Explorer PSP (I know it isn't good, but I love hearing from folks whose opinion I trust).

At the very least, I want to hear the music.

Was there any PC wallpaper for DE PSP? I vaguely remember something.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 11/10/2013, 06:30 PMI'd love to hear about Dungeon Explorer PSP (I know it isn't good, but I love hearing from folks whose opinion I trust).

At the very least, I want to hear the music.

Was there any PC wallpaper for DE PSP? I vaguely remember something.
I tried it for a few minutes, the opening sequence is poorly translated. Then I spent a bit of time making a character, then hacking and slashing a bit. So far I can't say too much.

I'm not sure if there was PC wallpaper made but it wouldn't surprise me. There was a DS Dungeon Explorer made around the same time frame.
--DragonmasterDan

Joe Redifer

Wow I didn't even know there was a Dungeon Explorer for the PSP. Is it a new entry in the series, a reboot or a remake? Also Awesome Possum is all sorts of amazing. Once you start playing you will NOT want to stop until immediately after you start playing.

Tatsujin

nice goldpack and also for a good price :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 11/11/2013, 04:04 AMWow I didn't even know there was a Dungeon Explorer for the PSP. Is it a new entry in the series, a reboot or a remake? Also Awesome Possum is all sorts of amazing. Once you start playing you will NOT want to stop until immediately after you start playing.
As far as I can tell it's a completely new game that isn't a reboot of any of the previous games.

As far as Awesome Possum goes, I know it's reputation but for 2.99 I figured it would be worth picking up even if it's a terrible platformer. High Seas Havoc for 7.99 also seemed like a good deal and might be the best find from yesterday.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Dungeon Explorer on the PSP is Dungeon Explorer in name only.  It's a straightforward and rather bland hack 'n' slash dungeon crawler that wouldn't be all that bad if it didn't overstay its welcome (it's kinda fun in the beginning); but it's loooooooong and not in a good way with lots of differing content to enjoy.  I gave up on it at about 90 hours, after perusing the internet and finding I was a bit less than halfway through.  Yeah, 200+ hours of grinding.....  ](*,)

There's some variety with occasional special missions and eventual big boss fights (each dungeon has a mini-boss, but they're nothing special), but you mostly play the same generic missions over and over and over again just to gain enough experience, and you won't stand a chance if you move on to the higher dungeons too soon.  Pro tip: change classes as soon as possible to unlock the best classes (check teh interwebz).  Better pro tip: play something else.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

bob

more fakie transformers

/turbo/fect.jpg[/img]

AND...started Christmas shopping for the twinnies...

/turbo/xmas.jpg[/img]

Nando

Quote from: galam on 11/11/2013, 01:19 PMmore fakie transformers

/turbo/fect.jpg[/img]
the local dollar store gets a ton of these. I want to buy a few a do some toy customizing on them. They are inexpensive enough for a N00b like me.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/11/2013, 11:28 AMDungeon Explorer on the PSP is Dungeon Explorer in name only.  It's a straightforward and rather bland hack 'n' slash dungeon crawler that wouldn't be all that bad if it didn't overstay its welcome (it's kinda fun in the beginning); but it's loooooooong and not in a good way with lots of differing content to enjoy.  I gave up on it at about 90 hours, after perusing the internet and finding I was a bit less than halfway through.  Yeah, 200+ hours of grinding.....  ](*,)

There's some variety with occasional special missions and eventual big boss fights (each dungeon has a mini-boss, but they're nothing special), but you mostly play the same generic missions over and over and over again just to gain enough experience, and you won't stand a chance if you move on to the higher dungeons too soon.  Pro tip: change classes as soon as possible to unlock the best classes (check teh interwebz).  Better pro tip: play something else.
Damn. Thanks for the scoop. I have to investigate the DS version that someone mentioned, too.

I still think the music may have some entertainment value? PSP tunes...anything to get excited about? Or was the soundtrack more ambient?

Yes, I'm going to look at YouTube videos, but that can't substitute for your 2¢  :pcgs:

NecroPhile

Quote from: esteban on 11/11/2013, 02:44 PMI still think the music may have some entertainment value? PSP tunes...anything to get excited about? Or was the soundtrack more ambient?
Sadly, it's nothing special and there's just a few songs - town, dungeon, boss fight, and....

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 11/11/2013, 03:28 PM
Quote from: esteban on 11/11/2013, 02:44 PMI still think the music may have some entertainment value? PSP tunes...anything to get excited about? Or was the soundtrack more ambient?
Sadly, it's nothing special and there's just a few songs - town, dungeon, boss fight, and....
...Aaaaaaand they drop the ball by not focusing more on what made the original games so much more enjoyable. The wonderful tunes.

NecroPhile

While picking up a gift card for my nephew at a local used game shop, I snagged copies of Death Jr. and Wipeout Pure for me.  :mrgreen:

Nando

Have you played Death Jr. Yet?

xcrement5x

Probably my last pickup for awhile, but it's a goody!

IMG
2013-11-12 Vajra Ni by xcrement5x, on Flickr

IMG

Can't wait to get a bit of time with this on the weekend.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 11/12/2013, 02:26 PMProbably my last pickup for awhile, but it's a goody!

IMG

IMG

Can't wait to get a bit of time with this on the weekend.
Nice!
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Quote from: Nando on 11/12/2013, 02:15 PMHave you played Death Jr. Yet?
Nope, but it looked cute and was cheap.

Opethian

damn xele one of the best LA games
you got a full set now? heh
IMG

xcrement5x

Quote from: Opethian on 11/12/2013, 03:32 PMdamn xele one of the best LA games
you got a full set now? heh
Heh, I will never be a SuperDeadite with almost every variant of every game, but I'm close to getting all the distinct games.  Still missing about four of them, I'll catch up to you Clash!   :)

TheClash603

Xele is on a role picking stuff up.  You just added an awesome game to the collection, hope you give it the time it deserves!

You getting these games from Yahoo Japan?  It took me a long time to find my stuff, you guys all seem to have a better source than I did!

xcrement5x

Quote from: TheClash603 on 11/12/2013, 07:51 PMXele is on a role picking stuff up.  You just added an awesome game to the collection, hope you give it the time it deserves!

You getting these games from Yahoo Japan?  It took me a long time to find my stuff, you guys all seem to have a better source than I did!
Heh, I did a lot of ebay shopping when I first got into LaserActive stuff several years ago, but there is a lot more competition today.  After that I went for overseas stuff since almost all the games are multi-region.  Most of my JP games are from Yahoo Japan or Surugaya, there are a couple other retailers I've found that occasionally get LA stuff in stock so I check back periodically on them as well. 

Really though, I've learned that a LaserActive game not having the obi is my best bet for finding a deal, prices tend to go a lot lower than normal without them.

JapanTokei

Estaban - if my brain is not fried and my memory is serving correctly, I think i tried the D.E. on DS as well, and it's pure shait...

Quote from: esteban on 11/11/2013, 02:44 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/11/2013, 11:28 AMDungeon Explorer on the PSP is Dungeon Explorer in name only.  It's a straightforward and rather bland hack 'n' slash dungeon crawler that wouldn't be all that bad if it didn't overstay its welcome (it's kinda fun in the beginning); but it's loooooooong and not in a good way with lots of differing content to enjoy.  I gave up on it at about 90 hours, after perusing the internet and finding I was a bit less than halfway through.  Yeah, 200+ hours of grinding.....  ](*,)

Damn. Thanks for the scoop. I have to investigate the DS version that someone mentioned, too.

I still think the music may have some entertainment value? PSP tunes...anything to get excited about? Or was the soundtrack more ambient?

Yes, I'm going to look at YouTube videos, but that can't substitute for your 2¢  :pcgs:

JapanTokei

I loved Spy vs Spy on all platforms growing up.  funny and enjoyable 2 player game that is still unique to this day... closely thing I come across thus far are on our fav PCE -> the Bonanza Brothers :)  but that is working together... S.v.S you're messing each other up... different type of fun.  great memories

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/10/2013, 06:06 PMNo one stellar item here, but I got a lot of inexpensive good stuff today.

IMG

Sparky

i got this in the mail... Rastan arcade Marquee, one of my fav arcades to play back in the day, no not Rastan 2!!! and a digital cell of Castevania for a buddy of me.

IMG

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2013, 08:31 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 11/12/2013, 07:51 PMXele is on a role picking stuff up.  You just added an awesome game to the collection, hope you give it the time it deserves!

Heh, I did a lot of ebay shopping when I first got into LaserActive stuff several years ago, but there is a lot more competition today.  After that I went for overseas stuff since almost all the games are multi-region.  Most of my JP games are from Yahoo Japan or Surugaya, there are a couple other retailers I've found that occasionally get LA stuff in stock so I check back periodically on them as well. 

Really though, I've learned that a LaserActive game not having the obi is my best bet for finding a deal, prices tend to go a lot lower than normal without them.
PS - Sell me a Demon's Judgement obi if you have it.  It is the glaring hole in my LA collection!

Nec.Game.head

This past weekend Obey score for me ...

/p71d.png
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

esteban

Quote from: JapanTokei on 11/13/2013, 10:54 AMEstaban - if my brain is not fried and my memory is serving correctly, I think i tried the D.E. on DS as well, and it's pure shait...

Quote from: esteban on 11/11/2013, 02:44 PM

Damn, I'm sure you are correct. I'll have to watch some videos. IMG

whisper2053

IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

Mathius

What are those Macross CDs? Video CDs?

whisper2053

Yep.

Old fashioned vcd's lol.
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

BlueBMW

I love those white / colorful saturn pads whisper.  Such a nice color scheme.

By complete random chance I shot a load of cash on something I hadn't planned on buying til next year sometime.  The only way I was going to buy one is if it fell in my lap... well this one fell in my lap so I bit.  Coworker had pre-ordered it, picked it up and then decided he didn't really want it.  Sold it to me for his cost.   Picked up Call of Dookie so I could play with some friends (friends who only play CoD) I haven't investigated any launch games so I have no idea what is good / not good.  I'll have to do some looking.

All that said... I'll bet we can all agree as to what is the best part of this haul....   

Ducktales!  Yeah, everyone should buy it.

/psfail_zps7e9dd946.jpg
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheClash603

Nice Beamer!

I am so pissed I bought Ducktales for my Wii U digitally, before the disc version came out.

I picked up Killzone, Knack, and CoD with my PS4.  So far only played Knack and Killzone.  Not a CoD fan, but my friends will want to come over and play.

Knack is pretty good so far in the 3 or so hours I put into it.  Reviews were pretty negative, but I think the co-op makes the game really work.  If I was playing by myself, probably wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

JapanTokei

Hey Beams / Clash - how are u guys doing with your consoles?  I read about these dead system problems popping up here and there.. seems like a design defect ...  hope yours are safe and sound!

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/16/2013, 01:21 AMI love those white / colorful saturn pads whisper.  Such a nice color scheme.

By complete random chance I shot a load of cash on something I hadn't planned on buying til next year sometime.  The only way I was going to buy one is if it fell in my lap... well this one fell in my lap so I bit.  Coworker had pre-ordered it, picked it up and then decided he didn't really want it.  Sold it to me for his cost.   Picked up Call of Dookie so I could play with some friends (friends who only play CoD) I haven't investigated any launch games so I have no idea what is good / not good.  I'll have to do some looking.

All that said... I'll bet we can all agree as to what is the best part of this haul....   

Ducktales!  Yeah, everyone should buy it.

IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TheClash603

BlueBMW

No problems with mine so far.  My 1st gen ps3 is still going strong and I fully expect (and demand) that this PS4 does the same. Ok maybe Im just being wishful...