The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

Quote from: guest on 12/26/2013, 02:50 PM
Quote from: Nando on 12/26/2013, 02:29 PMNo pics yet but my wife got me GTA V, Lego Marvel Super Heroes. I won LoX from Necro's raffle and my sister found and bought me NES Megaman 2 & 3 for Xmas.

BIG MONEY, BIG PRIZES!!!
Lego Marvel is great.. Just 100% it on Xbone today!
We were blown away with the set pieces so far and we are only into our second mission.

SuperDeadite

Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

TR0N

Most expensive megadrive game out there  :shock: :shock:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mathius

SuperDeadite

About $60 in USA toilet paper.  It's missing the manual sadly, but for that price I'm quite satisfied.  Box looks good on the shelf, so I can live without the papers.  Playing this one in RGB and blaring the music is so satisfying, this is right up there with Undeadline in badass super heavy FM musics.

Mathius

That's way cheap in comparison! Was the cart in good shape?

SuperDeadite

bob

Joe Redifer

This is the first I've heard of Eliminate Down's music being satisfying.

NecroPhile

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/25/2013, 10:04 AMChristmas GETS
/26j6.jpg
Has anyone else watched the Ys anime and have any comments about it (good or bad)?  I'm not really into anime, but I love me some Ys.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2013, 06:42 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/25/2013, 10:04 AMChristmas GETS
/26j6.jpg
Has anyone else watched the Ys anime and have any comments about it (good or bad)?  I'm not really into anime, but I love me some Ys.
I have the Ys anime and... You're not missing anything. It's OK, but it fails to capture the atmosphere/characterization/tension of the iconic first few games.

If you are like me, you are going to watch it at some point, out of curiosity. I had been warned, by trusted folks, that I shouldn't set my expectations high..and this helped me appreciate it rather than resent it.

Perhaps I am harsh, but I feel like this was a major miss, considering the source material.

I did not care about any of the characters, so every character was simply going through the motions...such a damn shame.

Perhaps I can't be objective.

MINOR THING: I liked how the DVD menu sported a familiar border. It was a nice homage to the series.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/27/2013, 06:28 PMThis is the first I've heard of Eliminate Down's music being satisfying.
As much as I enjoy FM synth I didn't really care for Eliminate Down's tunes. The graphics on the other hand are excellent.

PukeSter

Ordered Metal Gear Solid 3: Substinence.

Mainly to play the first two MSX games. At least for now. ;)

GohanX

Nice, I just played through the two MSX games on the hd collection, they put the NES games we got to shame.

roflmao

I watched a playthrough of Eliminate Down this afternoon and thought the music was awesome!  I hadn't heard of the game before today (never been a big fan of the Genny) but that game looks tops all around.

EvilEvoIX

Santa was really good to me this year in terms of games.

IMG

Most of these games were picked up in a really cool place called, "Horseshoes and Hand Grenades".  Great classic and vintage store down here in Virginia.  They sell basically anything old but huge gaming section as well, they even have a boxed JVC X'EYE.  Very cool but a lot of the stuff is very expensive, like $150.00 for a Loose Virtual Boy with Mario Tennis, $180 for the X'Eye.  Check this place out.
https://www.facebook.com/horseshoesvintage

Back to the games I know Duke is a pile of excrement but I am such a fan of the genre I have to check it out.  I'm also curious of Borderlands so I got the first copy to see how it is, some Saturn Gaming classics as well.  Good haul.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/27/2013, 06:28 PMThis is the first I've heard of Eliminate Down's music being satisfying.
Never bothered looking into this game before, but due to the above I gave it a look. Not impressed with the audio at all. Even when the sound effects are not drowning out the music, it just isn't that strong soundtrack wise. Not terrible either, just seemed standard fare for the system. Visuals were pretty impressive though.

roflmao

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 12/28/2013, 04:02 PMSanta was really good to me this year in terms of games.I'm also curious of Borderlands so I got the first copy to see how it is, some Saturn Gaming classics as well.  Good haul.
Nice haul! 

I can't vouch for how well it plays on a console controller, but I spent a ton of hours playing through Borderlands on the PC.  Like 50.  :shock:  It did, however, take a couple of tries to get into.  When I first picked it up, I felt very "meh" about it.  But I tried it again a few months later and got totally sucked in.

I haven't picked up the second one yet, but I hear it's better in every way.

PikachuWarrior

Goodwill:

The 7th Saga (SNES) $.75 cents
Drakken (SNES): $.75 cents

Galactic Crusader (Unlicensed Color Dreams NES): $.75 cents!
Super Gloveball (NES): $.75 cents
Legendary Wings (NES): $.75 cents
GI Joe: Atlantis Factor (NES/CIB): $.25 cents! <---Technically my first CIB NES game. I have a bunch of cart/manual games, but threw all the NES boxes away years ago.

Lego Batman (PS2): $.2.50

Phantasmagoria Guide (PC): $. 70 cents

Edit: There was a HUGE stack of NES games and a few other SNES games, that were all under $1, but people grab them quick!

NES titles like Castlevania 1, Mario, and Godzilla 2 (!). And the other SNES games were Lagoon, Mario Paint, and a few others. Man...Don't worry no Earthbounds or any Squaresoft games.
IMG

bob

Godzilla 2 for a $1.  whoa.  I have always wanted to try that game.

recent arrivals...

/turbo/eden.jpg[/img]

roflmao

Quote from: galam on 12/28/2013, 07:07 PMGodzilla 2 for a $1.  whoa.  I have always wanted to try that game.

recent arrivals...

/turbo/eden.jpg
Sweet!  Black Tiger made a very impressive faq for FEOE: Kabuki Den which you can find on GameFaqs.  I've  been slowly working my way through that one.  The cutscenes and overall production value for the game are through the roof!

PCEngineHell

Games for Genesis and MegaDrive that I picked up over November and December via either ebay or other online purchases or via HercTnT, etc.

Shining Force 2
Caliber .50
Deadly Moves
Mercs
Altered Beast
Flashback
Streets of Rage 2
Ghouls'n Ghosts
Samurai showdown
Thunderforce 2
Thunderforce 3
Mortal Kombat 3
Virtua Racing
World of Illusion
Aero the Acrobat
Pac-Attack
Shining in the Darkness
TMNT Hyperstone Heist
Gauntlet 4
Strider
Puyo Puyo
Beyond Oasis
Junction
Traysia
Atomic Robo-Kid
Ys 3
Air Diver
Target Earth
Pit Fighter
Robocop vs Terminator
Bonanza Bros
Bimini Run
Tyrants
El Viento
ESwat
Championship Pro Am
Road Blasters
Super Street Fighter 2
Shadow Dancer
Two Crude Dudes
Columns III
King of the Monsters
Phelios
Valis 3
Darius 2
Wrestle War
Golden Axe 2
Bare Knuckle 2
Tatsujin
Goketsuji Ichizoku
Time Killers 
Double Dragon 
Task Force Harrier 
Mortal Kombat Sega CD 
Gain Ground 
Final Fight Sega CD
Eternal Champions Sega CD
Batman and Robin Sega CD
Sega Cd Model 2 unit

bob

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2013, 07:20 PM
Quote from: galam on 12/28/2013, 07:07 PMGodzilla 2 for a $1.  whoa.  I have always wanted to try that game.

recent arrivals...

/turbo/eden.jpg[/img]
Sweet!  Black Tiger made a very impressive faq for FEOE: Kabuki Den which you can find on GameFaqs.  I've  been slowly working my way through that one.  The cutscenes and overall production value for the game are through the roof!
All of it shipped for about $20 and both Eden games have maps too.
Thought it was a good deal. And I got a second copy of zero 4 for a raffle.

SuperDeadite

Depends on the stage, but overall I like it.  There aren't too many games that go for full on pound the synth keyboard with a hammer approach.  Not something you want in every game, but I find it fits here.  The part where you fight all the space jockies is just badass imo.

whisper2053

New CRT gets today! For FREEEEEEEE :D

/zv0n.jpg
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: whisper2053 on 12/29/2013, 07:24 AMNew CRT gets today! For FREEEEEEEE :D
/zv0n.jpg
Nice what type of tv?  What neo game is that??
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

whisper2053

Hitachi C29-F300B

It's not Neo, that is a PGM. And it's Martial Masters.
IMG

TR0N

The only game for the month and it being a xmas gift from family.
/tmntiv_zps66e48223.png
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: whisper2053 on 12/29/2013, 11:45 AMHitachi C29-F300B

It's not Neo, that is a PGM. And it's Martial Masters.
Oh yeah the PolyGame Master the Neo's rival.
IMGIMGIMG

PikachuWarrior

they had rival consoles, obscure or not. weird!
IMG

SuperDeadite

Eh, the Neo was barely still alive when the PGM came out.  And the PGM was mostly popular in China/HongKong.  PGM was used by Cave for DDPDOJ and Espgaluda, but as stand alone boards, not carts.

whisper2053

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 12/30/2013, 02:50 AMthey had rival consoles, obscure or not. weird!
Here's a little more info, if you are interested storino...
https://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=809
IMG

Opethian

I got 2 XM29s today thanks hellabitz!
IMG

Nando

YES!

LegendOfXanaduPCECD.JPG

a gabillion thanks to NecroPhile.

Mathius

Quote from: TR0N on 12/30/2013, 01:28 AMThe only game for the month and it being a xmas gift from family.
/tmntiv_zps66e48223.png
I, too, am a proud owner of the Super Fami version of the Toitles. I never could track down the US version for a reasonable price.

PukeSter

Quote from: Mathius on 12/30/2013, 09:46 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 12/30/2013, 01:28 AMThe only game for the month and it being a xmas gift from family.
/tmntiv_zps66e48223.png
I, too, am a proud owner of the Super Fami version of the Toitles. I never could track down the US version for a reasonable price.
Seems like a lot of popular SNES games are cheaper in Japanese.

This is a problem with RPGs, of course. :(

whisper2053

IMG

MrFlutterPie

/tmntiv_zps66e48223.png
That's the best one :)

My all time most favorite SNES game hands down!

EvilEvoIX

I just got this Bad Boy in the mail today, thanks again lukester, classic game.

IMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMGIMG

PukeSter

Finally gonna say what I ordered for Christmas, but stuff has not arrived yet.

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
Mizubaku Daibouken
Bomberman 94
Detana Twinbee
Shadow of the Colossus

The first two games I have wanted to obtain for years. Will try to post pics when they come.

Sadly, I despise Shadow of the Colossus. I honestly wish I could like it one bit.

chany60126

Quote from: guest on 12/30/2013, 06:47 PMFinally gonna say what I ordered for Christmas, but stuff has not arrived yet.

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
Mizubaku Daibouken
Bomberman 94
Detana Twinbee
Shadow of the Colossus

The first two games I have wanted to obtain for years. Will try to post pics when they come.

Sadly, I despise Shadow of the Colossus. I honestly wish I could like it one bit.
Do you mean Shadow of the Beast? I was just wondering since the other games are PCE games.

PukeSter

BlueBMW

Shadow of Colossus was on PS2 right?  I seem to remember seeing it as a download for ps+ members on ps3 or 4...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

PukeSter

Quote from: BlueBMW on 12/30/2013, 08:42 PMShadow of Colossus was on PS2 right?  I seem to remember seeing it as a download for ps+ members on ps3 or 4...
I don't have a PS3. I bought the PS2 version.

bob

There is a ps3 comp disc that has shadow and Ico on the same disc
I love both of them.

FiftyQuid

Shadow is free right now on PS3 for PS+ subscribers.  Shadow of Colossus that is.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

ApolloBoy

Just received a bunch of Famicom games including Lagrange Point today, which is really cool. I also just recently bought a few FDS games (Kid Icarus CIB with a guidebook, Super Mario 2 with the first game on the flip side, and Zelda II), a red Twin Famicom and an NESRGB board. Can't fucking wait.
IMG

Bloufo

Quote from: guest on 12/30/2013, 06:47 PMSadly, I despise Shadow of the Colossus. I honestly wish I could like it one bit.
I could never really get into that game either.
ICO was legendary to me and I was excited that the follow-up game would give me more of that. Sadly, no.

NightWolve

Quote from: Bloufo on 12/30/2013, 11:29 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/30/2013, 06:47 PMSadly, I despise Shadow of the Colossus. I honestly wish I could like it one bit.
I could never really get into that game either. ICO was legendary to me and I was excited that the follow-up game would give me more of that. Sadly, no.
Ah, that's disappointing to hear... It really is a fantastic, epic game. You gotta work past initial doubts, beat that first giant and press on. Sure, the whole experience can be reduced down to traveling around on your horse from one point to the next to battle colossal giants, but the immersing of the world, its beauty, the tricks to understanding how to defeat each giant, it gets really fun and challenging. The story has a bit of a twist in the end to boot. And the last boss...man, that was *truly* one of the greatest boss battles I ever experienced/saw in any game, arcade or console (NES, SNES, TG-16, PS1, to PS2 where my console EXP ends)! The way they pulled off rendering him so gigantic is impressive and having to climb up all the way to the top of him, not get shaken off, it was a blast: IMG

You should be able to beat it in 3-4 days if you work at it. Anyway, I can't highly recommend this game enough! If you have a PS2, this is one of the greats that came at the end of its life and it's something you should finish the system off with. This game came up not that long ago right here ( https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=288022 ) because of a raffle. As mentioned there, it was used in an Adam Sandler movie which is what led me to finally grab it out of my collection where it sat and give it a go. Glad I did.

PikachuWarrior

looks like similar graphics to Pacman Adventures on Genesis/SNES. At least the sprites there.
IMG